UT-Arlington considering restarting football
10-25-2018 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: UT-Arlington considering restarting football
It’s just too bad there isn’t an A10/MVC/WCC equivalent in the South - Arlington would be perfect for it.

I’d like to see Little Rock start football to fill War Memorial - like UAB/Legion Field and USA/Ladd-Peebles.
10-25-2018 06:20 PM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal
(10-25-2018 06:20 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  It’s just too bad there isn’t an A10/MVC/WCC equivalent in the South - Arlington would be perfect for it.

I’d like to see Little Rock start football to fill War Memorial - like UAB/Legion Field and USA/Ladd-Peebles.

The Hogs will never allow that to happen.
10-25-2018 06:25 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
There definitely is more of a chance football comes back to UTA than at UALR. The problem is the Metroplex already has 3 schools with FBS ball, including a P5. They should have considered bringing football back in the early 90's when SMU was struggling after the death penalty and UNT was still 1-AA.
10-25-2018 06:27 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(10-25-2018 06:27 PM)seaking4steel Wrote:  There definitely is more of a chance football comes back to UTA than at UALR. The problem is the Metroplex already has 3 schools with FBS ball, including a P5. They should have considered bringing football back in the early 90's when SMU was struggling after the death penalty and UNT was still 1-AA.

I share this concern. Sure, the Metroplex has 7 million people now. However, there are already three FBS schools in the market. And, those aren't even the most popular teams in the area, as UT, A&M, and OU claim fans and TV eyeballs every week. Throw in the other Big 12 schools, and the market is saturated for college sports alone. DFW is a college sports mecca, but its eyes are on the P5, especially the Big 12 and SEC.

Add four pro teams, and the pool of available ticket and sponsorship dollars becomes even smaller.

On top of all of that, UTA would need to rebuild or replace Maverick Stadium, as it is a 12,500 seat stadium designed for a I-AA/FCS program. A UTA football team would be playing FBS in the Sun Belt.

All of this is a tall order. UTA's window to reinstate football may have already passed.

If they can pull this off, more power to them.
10-25-2018 07:44 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-25-2018 07:44 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(10-25-2018 06:27 PM)seaking4steel Wrote:  There definitely is more of a chance football comes back to UTA than at UALR. The problem is the Metroplex already has 3 schools with FBS ball, including a P5. They should have considered bringing football back in the early 90's when SMU was struggling after the death penalty and UNT was still 1-AA.

I share this concern. Sure, the Metroplex has 7 million people now. However, there are already three FBS schools in the market. And, those aren't even the most popular teams in the area, as UT, A&M, and OU claim fans and TV eyeballs every week. Throw in the other Big 12 schools, and the market is saturated for college sports alone. DFW is a college sports mecca, but its eyes are on the P5, especially the Big 12 and SEC.

Add four pro teams, and the pool of available ticket and sponsorship dollars becomes even smaller.

On top of all of that, UTA would need to rebuild or replace Maverick Stadium, as it is a 12,500 seat stadium designed for a I-AA/FCS program. A UTA football team would be playing FBS in the Sun Belt.

All of this is a tall order. UTA's window to reinstate football may have already passed.

Pretty tough to do. Maybe their idea is to get the mid-cities. TCU has Ft. Worth. UNT has Denton County and northern suburbs. SMU has University Park and Highland Park.
10-25-2018 09:10 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I can't think of any metro that has 4 FBS programs. Not sure there are many with 4 total.

Houston has Houston, Rice, TSU and Houston Baptist. 2 FBS, 2 FCS.
Atlanta has Georgia Tech, Georgia State and Kennesaw St. with Georgia only 60 miles away.
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale has 3 FBS-Miami, FIU, FAU
Baltimore has 3 FCS-Morgan St., Coppin St. and Towson St.
San Francisco-San Jose (technically two metros) has Cal, Stanford and San Jose St.

Can't think of anyone else with even 3 Division I schools.
10-25-2018 09:15 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(10-25-2018 09:15 PM)bullet Wrote:  I can't think of any metro that has 4 FBS programs. Not sure there are many with 4 total.

Atlanta has Georgia Tech, Georgia State and Kennesaw St. with Georgia only 60 miles away.
San Francisco-San Jose (technically two metros) has Cal, Stanford and San Jose St.

NYC has Fordham, Columbia, and Wagner.
10-25-2018 09:21 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(10-25-2018 09:21 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(10-25-2018 09:15 PM)bullet Wrote:  I can't think of any metro that has 4 FBS programs. Not sure there are many with 4 total.

Philly with Penn, Villanova, and Temple.
10-25-2018 09:23 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(10-25-2018 09:23 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(10-25-2018 09:21 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

Philly with Penn, Villanova, and Temple.

Raleigh-Durham with North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke and N.C. Central
10-25-2018 09:30 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(10-25-2018 09:10 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-25-2018 07:44 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

Pretty tough to do. Maybe their idea is to get the mid-cities. TCU has Ft. Worth. UNT has Denton County and northern suburbs. SMU has University Park and Highland Park.

Arlington & Mansfield's team!!!COGS
10-25-2018 09:33 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
UTA starting football will be a massive failure. How is a commuter school in a huge city, supposed to get fans to their games? Nobody will care.
10-25-2018 09:37 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

DC metro area: FCS Georgetown, FCS Howard, FBS Maryland
Philadelphia metro: FCS Penn, FCS Villanova, FBS Temple
Pittsburgh metro: FCS Duquesne, FCS Robert Morris, FBS Pittsburgh

Three FCS teams in New York City (Columbia, Fordham, Wagner), not even counting any school outside NYC that might claim to be part of NYC's metro area.
10-25-2018 09:41 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(10-25-2018 09:37 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  UTA starting football will be a massive failure. How is a commuter school in a huge city, supposed to get fans to their games? Nobody will care.

They can pull a Georgia State and buy Globe Life Park from the Rangers when they build a new park.
10-25-2018 10:11 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(10-25-2018 10:11 PM)seaking4steel Wrote:  
(10-25-2018 09:37 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  UTA starting football will be a massive failure. How is a commuter school in a huge city, supposed to get fans to their games? Nobody will care.

They can pull a Georgia State and buy Globe Life Park from the Rangers when they build a new park.

Or pull a Tulane and play in JerryWorld.
10-25-2018 10:15 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I could see some value in UTA in that other programs will want the opportunity to play in Texas, specifically the DFW area.

Given the Mavs are already in a FBS conference, these are the Sun Belt’s most realistic options to get to 12 schools:

1) New Mexico State, either football-only or as a full member
2) Missouri State
3) UTRGV
4) James Madison
5) Eastern Kentucky

My hunch is NMSU gets the call as football-only, simply because they are already FBS, and it avoids the travel issues with adding them for all sports. I only see James Madison or Eastern Kentucky getting the call if South Alabama wants to stay in the West, and for whatever reason NMSU is off the table.
10-25-2018 10:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(10-25-2018 10:11 PM)seaking4steel Wrote:  

Nobody goes to Georgia St games, so it would be perfect.
10-25-2018 10:58 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(10-25-2018 09:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

DC metro area: FCS Georgetown, FCS Howard, FBS Maryland, FBS Navy
Philadelphia metro: FCS Penn, FCS Villanova, FBS Temple, FCS Delaware

Three FCS teams in New York City (Columbia, Fordham, Wagner), not even counting any school outside NYC that might claim to be part of NYC's metro area. —-uh, actually Army is.
10-25-2018 11:18 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-25-2018 09:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

DC metro area: FCS Georgetown, FCS Howard, FBS Maryland
Philadelphia metro: FCS Penn, FCS Villanova, FBS Temple

Three FCS teams in New York City (Columbia, Fordham, Wagner), not even counting any school outside NYC that might claim to be part of NYC's metro area.

Well, you forgot Stony Brook and LIU who are FCS in the New York City's metro.

Delaware seems to be in Philly's metro area.

Los Angeles used to have several.
UCLA, USC, UC-Riverside, CSU-L.A., Long Beach State, and Fullerton State. All were in the Big West conference.
10-26-2018 02:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UTArlingtonMaverick Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT Arlington
Pres K let his athletic director look at it, because he has an open mind about all facets of his university. This is his style. Most AD's probably would be interested in the topic. The article also mentions what the president has said to students at student meetings: no student fees. That right there would likely stop any serious attempt. I don't think this is a serious thing at all, despite the newspaper's choice of a headline. This isn't going anywhere. The university is on a roll as is.
10-26-2018 07:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.