Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Durkin fired, Evans reinstated, Loh will retire (2nd update)
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Durkin fired, Evans reinstated, Loh will retire (2nd update)
[2nd update: Statement from Loh on Durkin's firing: https://president.umd.edu/communications...ll-program ]

[Update: So much for this earlier report...]

https://wtop.com/ncaa-football/2018/10/r...not-toxic/

Quote:The way the Board of Regents is structured, it only has the power to hire and fire university presidents. The employment status of anyone else, whether it’s in athletics or academic departments, is otherwise determined by the leadership of the schools themselves. However after taking control of the investigation from University of Maryland president Wallace Loh back in August, the board appears set to make recommendations it expects to go forward.

A source said at the end of Tuesday’s meeting, a majority of the board was in favor of seeing the school move on from both football coach DJ Durkin and athletic director Damon Evans. How that will come about — and at what cost — still needs to be worked out.

It also still appears that University of Maryland President Wallace Loh will eventually be departing as well. However, at the conclusion of Tuesday’s meeting, his exit from the school wasn’t expected to be imminent. A source says a plan could be worked out that would see Loh step down in the spring of 2019.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2018 06:12 PM by Wedge.)
10-25-2018 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Durkin, Evans, and Loh will reportedly "move on" from Maryland...
With liar Loh leaving..........wait for it.....Maryland petitions for re-admittance.07-coffee3
10-25-2018 01:42 PM
arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Hey you can't fire the AD or the coach!
Very true Dr. Loh but we can fire you.
Uh how about I fire them and you give me some time before you fire me???
10-25-2018 02:14 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-25-2018 01:42 PM)XLance Wrote:  With liar Loh leaving..........wait for it.....Maryland petitions for re-admittance.07-coffee3

Only IF they bring Penn State with them. 05-stirthepot

03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil
10-25-2018 08:24 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2018 08:24 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  
(10-25-2018 01:42 PM)XLance Wrote:  With liar Loh leaving..........wait for it.....Maryland petitions for re-admittance.07-coffee3

03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

04-bow

It is funny and sad, too.

The ACC needs at least one more "big stadium" football school. Unfortunately the only one located in the area where the ACC really needs one (a big stadium school) the most, went over to the dark side after being snubbed by the Big East and ignored by the ACC.

Do you think the B1G would go for a swap? Maryland for Pitt and a 5/8ths interest in Notre Dame for Penn State?07-coffee3
10-26-2018 07:10 AM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(10-26-2018 07:10 AM)XLance Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

04-bow

The ACC needs at least one more "big stadium" football school. Unfortunately the only one located in the area where the ACC really needs one (a big stadium school) the most, went over to the dark side after being snubbed by the Big East and ignored by the ACC.

Do you think the B1G would go for a swap? Maryland for Pitt and a 5/8ths interest in Notre Dame for Penn State?07-coffee3

Given the behind the scenes skullduggery and backstabbing that went on with Loh and Kirwan, I don't know that MD could get the votes to rejoin, unless they brought Penn State with them.
10-26-2018 02:09 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-26-2018 02:09 PM)Statefan Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

04-bow

Given the behind the scenes skullduggery and backstabbing that went on with Loh and Kirwan, I don't know that MD could get the votes to rejoin, unless they brought Penn State with them.

Not that it would ever happen but the notion of Pittsburgh and Notre Dame for Maryland and Penn State is an intriguing one.

While no doubt that Penn State is valuable to the Big 10 Notre Dame is even more so. Notre Dame gives them the exclusivity they need over so many of their large market media areas. Outside of the Big 10 N.D. gives NBC and ESPN a backdoor into the those markets without paying the Big 10 for the privilege.

I would argue that with N.D. in the fold, that the Big 10 minus PSU plus ND is worth significantly more. With Pitt to offset the loss of a presence in Pennsylvania that could work financially. The question then becomes whether it works well enough for the loss of the Maryland market. I think for fit and reach that it would, but that's just a guess. For branding it's still a good move for both the Big 10 and ACC.
10-26-2018 02:35 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Maryland can try to make this as soft a landing as it wants for Loh, but, let's face it...dude's toast. Disgraced. And no peer institution will ever touch him again for a similar role.

This does cast a shadow over that Big Ten move; he's the orchestrator for it. Kirwin bought in on the work, and while he and the board served as the cover memo on the project, the work's not theirs. And any influential alumni would be quick to remind the state and Board of that. Schools take that image and legacy thing very seriously; this byproduct or derivative of someone the school will not want others to remember ceremoniously will be attacked at some point. Considering the school spent some good money in PR to sell the move, now what? Lather, rinse, repeat?
10-26-2018 03:54 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

04-bow

Maybe Penn State would really rather have Rutgers join them instead of Maryland.
That might work better for Syracuse and BC too!
10-26-2018 09:05 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-26-2018 09:05 PM)XLance Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

04-bow

Maybe Penn State would really rather have Rutgers join them instead of Maryland.

I doubt SU would want Rutgers anymore than BC wanted UConn. Of course the ACC could give two 01-rivals what SU wants at this point. Other than 11 NCAA units in 5 years and a lowly bowl win in our first year, we haven't contributed a lot in terms of perception or $$$.

We were however THE KEY to killing the hybrid Big East. And assisted Pitt and BC with getting ND in the conference on a 5/8ths basis as well. (Sorry TerryD, this seems to be my night for sh!t talking ) 03-wink

Oh and our AD at the time Dr. Gross really, really, really talked up how great Louisville was (Sorry UConn fans, again I seem to be in a sh!t talking mood tonight).

So maybe we haven't done too bad after all? 05-stirthepot

Cheers,
Neil
10-26-2018 09:50 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2018 03:54 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Maryland can try to make this as soft a landing as it wants for Loh, but, let's face it...dude's toast. Disgraced. And no peer institution will ever touch him again for a similar role.

This does cast a shadow over that Big Ten move; he's the orchestrator for it. Kirwin bought in on the work, and while he and the board served as the cover memo on the project, the work's not theirs. And any influential alumni would be quick to remind the state and Board of that. Schools take that image and legacy thing very seriously; this byproduct or derivative of someone the school will not want others to remember ceremoniously will be attacked at some point. Considering the school spent some good money in PR to sell the move, now what? Lather, rinse, repeat?

Kirwan's relationship with the Knight Commission would at least allow Maryland's case to be heard for readmission. It may not sway the tide but it would at least be the foot in the door to gain an audience.
But at the end of the day, ESPN's goal would be Penn State and would be happy to pay to make bad memories become bygones.
10-28-2018 08:30 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

(10-28-2018 08:30 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 03:54 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Maryland can try to make this as soft a landing as it wants for Loh, but, let's face it...dude's toast. Disgraced. And no peer institution will ever touch him again for a similar role.

Kirwan's relationship with the Knight Commission would at least allow Maryland's case to be heard for readmission. It may not sway the tide but it would at least be the foot in the door to gain an audience.
But at the end of the day, ESPN's goal would be Penn State and would be happy to pay to make bad memories become bygones.

This is a mulligan if there ever was one. And I thought hell would freeze over before the two could reconcile, but, now that the guy has brought all of this shame and embarrassment to the institution, muddying even this Big Ten thing, maybe there is a chance for a walk back.

This was about money for Maryland, and while there are those who never wanted to leave the ACC to begin with amongst alumni and boosters, going home is still far from reality. UMD was right to be mad with the ACC’s business dealings...the actual returns have yet to be realized. But, internally, with Loh or without, and, heck, be it Chow or Evans...that athletic department could be D1’s hottest mess; has been for some time.
10-28-2018 09:06 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
(10-28-2018 09:06 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 08:30 AM)XLance Wrote:  

This is a mulligan if there ever was one. And I thought hell would freeze over before the two could reconcile, but, now that the guy has brought all of this shame and embarrassment to the institution, muddying even this Big Ten thing, maybe there is a chance for a walk back.

This was about money for Maryland, and while there are those who never wanted to leave the ACC to begin with amongst alumni and boosters, going home is still far from reality. UMD was right to be mad with the ACC’s business dealings...the actual returns have yet to be realized. But, internally, with Loh or without, and, heck, be it Chow or Evans...that athletic department could be D1’s hottest mess; has been for some time.

It's been going on since Ralph Friedgen was coach. I've seen a number of things about him talking about the department. As for Maryland coming back to the ACC...it is absolutely an intriguing thought. Short term, not going to happen but longer term I'd say there is a least a chance of it happening (but probably not a great chance).

I have no idea how the Maryland fan base would react to this. There was plenty of reaction when the decision to go the the B1G was announced. Generally, the older generations of Terps were not thrilled with it while the younger ones were fine with it. I think now, most have come to enjoy it or at minimum, grudgingly accept it. If an announcement was made to move back, I'd think you'd get a reversal of the first announcement. It is entirely possible that there'd be more acceptance. I don't know what the percentages would be for and against the move back. Would be entertaining to see at least.
10-28-2018 09:41 AM
Go College Sports Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NCAA
Maryland back to the ACC might be a fun thought experiment, but that's all it is. All of the benefits to joining the Big Ten that were present five years ago are still there. And more importantly, the financial issues that made it a necessity back then are still around. In fact, given that Maryland doesn't have a full share of Big Ten revenues, built a hugely expensive practice facility, and would have to deal with the financial issues of exiting another conference, those issues might be worse than ever.

There is a segment of old-timers in the Maryland fanbase that still would rather be in the ACC, but most everyone realizes that even putting aside the competitive and financial realities for a moment, the ACC of 2018 simply isn't the ACC of 1978 or 1998, which is really what mattered to the Maryland fanbase.
10-28-2018 12:35 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Durkin, Evans, and Loh will reportedly "move on" from Maryland...
Might get some clarification on the situation later today.

https://twitter.com/CFBHeather/status/10...41888?s=19
10-29-2018 07:57 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(10-26-2018 09:50 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 09:05 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(10-25-2018 08:24 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  Only IF they bring Penn State with them. 05-stirthepot

03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil

04-bow

I doubt SU would want Rutgers anymore than BC wanted UConn. Of course the ACC could give two 01-rivals what SU wants at this point. Other than 11 NCAA units in 5 years and a lowly bowl win in our first year, we haven't contributed a lot in terms of perception or $$$.

We were however THE KEY to killing the hybrid Big East. And assisted Pitt and BC with getting ND in the conference on a 5/8ths basis as well. (Sorry TerryD, this seems to be my night for sh!t talking ) 03-wink

Oh and our AD at the time Dr. Gross really, really, really talked up how great Louisville was (Sorry UConn fans, again I seem to be in a sh!t talking mood tonight).

So maybe we haven't done too bad after all? 05-stirthepot

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

comment re-posted from 2013:

"Would 'Cuse be rendered almost null and void for football if Rutgers is in the Big Ten?.....Probably"
10-29-2018 08:17 AM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

(10-29-2018 07:57 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  Might get some clarification on the situation later today.

https://twitter.com/CFBHeather/status/10...41888?s=19

Are the Regents back to running things versus the System President?
10-29-2018 11:55 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

Durkin, Evans, and Loh will reportedly "move on" from Maryland...
Board of Regents took over the McNair investigation. Loh serves at the pleasure of the board.
10-29-2018 01:53 PM
Heisman

(10-28-2018 09:41 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  It's been going on since Ralph Friedgen was coach. I've seen a number of things about him talking about the department.

Yeah, it was apparently well before him. Like, what Debbie Yow inherited back in the 90's. Tons of debt and low donor intake. She did a lot to improve things, cutting away at that debt and bringing in donor dollars...it peaked at some point, and she left with debt and declining donations. It just sounds like a brutal place.

That's what I don't get about the hive mindset with Big Ten support. Are you okay about the Big Ten because you think your mess is due to the ACC, or do you just not understand that your school isn't run very well on that front no matter where you call home?
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2018 03:13 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
10-29-2018 03:08 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

(10-29-2018 03:08 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 09:41 AM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  It's been going on since Ralph Friedgen was coach. I've seen a number of things about him talking about the department.

Yeah, it was apparently well before him. Like, what Debbie Yow inherited back in the 90's. Tons of debt and low donor intake. She did a lot to improve things, cutting away at that debt and bringing in donor dollars...it peaked at some point, and she left with debt and declining donations. It just sounds like a brutal place.

That's what I don't get about the hive mindset with Big Ten support. Are you okay about the Big Ten because you think your mess is due to the ACC, or do you just not understand that your school isn't run very well on that front no matter where you call home?

The internal politics at MD are extraordinarily complex and the issues go back nearly 70 years to the time of Jim Tatum. Loh gets the blame for the B10 move, but it was System President Kirwan plan and the crux of the plan was about much more than sports, it was about UMCP taking over as much of the MD System as humanly possible, plus anything they could get their hands on in DC.
10-29-2018 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.