Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Coaches Midseason Grades
Bookmark and Share
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Exclamation New Coaches Midseason Grades
Are you satisfied with what your new(ish) coaches are doing so far? USA, ULL, GS, and CCU all have coaches that weren't fully the guy last year. While Moglia isn't really a new coach per say, I'd like to add him into the discussion.

I haven't been as impressed as I thought I would, though Lunsford is a real surprise. They tried to tell us I guess, lmao. Congrats on a good season so far, Eagle fans.
10-24-2018 09:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: New Coaches Midseason Grades
(10-24-2018 09:24 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Are you satisfied with what your new(ish) coaches are doing so far? USA, ULL, GS, and CCU all have coaches that weren't fully the guy last year. While Moglia isn't really a new coach per say, I'd like to add him into the discussion.

I haven't been as impressed as I thought I would, though Lunsford is a real surprise. They tried to tell us I guess, lmao. Congrats on a good season so far, Eagle fans.

I'm not sure there were many of us assuring people Lunsford would be great, just not to underestimate how bad Tyson Summers was. I think CCL's done a really good job, but don't give him too much credit, because he's following some really horrendous coaching. It also should be pointed out that being able to get Bob DeBesse was pretty fortunate (thank you, Bob Davie for firing him).

Not ready to give up on Steve Campbell yet. I think the jags are going to have to rebuild the offensive line and find a running game.

Napier is the one coach I'll eat crow over. He might have a case over Lunsford because he just doesn't have the same talent level on defense.

Not overly surprised at what Coastal has done. There's a reason GS fans wanted Jamey Chadwell instead of Tyson Summers.

All in all, the coaching in this conference across the board is better than the start of 2017.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2018 09:38 AM by EigenEagle.)
10-24-2018 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I'm going to say of the new coaches:

Lunsford: A (We have our energy back for the first time in a while. Things are still a work in progress and it's obvious in our last 3 games)
Napier: A (Has done a great job getting ULL back on track and I fully expect the ULL/AState game to be a slug fest. I have ULL winning)
Campbell: B+ (Sort of pick up where the previous coach let off. Things are progressing in the right direction though.)
Moglia: B+ (I think having Moglia back has really helped the chants this year. They aren't in the conversation for the top spot in the East yet, but still being relatively new to the FBS with a lot of goals still to achieve will help keep their momentum moving forward.)
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2018 09:40 AM by TrueBlueDrew.)
10-24-2018 09:36 AM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

I'm giving Lunsford an A+! There's not a single category we haven't improved in.
10-24-2018 11:35 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(10-24-2018 09:24 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Are you satisfied with what your new(ish) coaches are doing so far? USA, ULL, GS, and CCU all have coaches that weren't fully the guy last year. While Moglia isn't really a new coach per say, I'd like to add him into the discussion.

Correct thread title: "Georgia Southern fans - Grade Lundsford"
10-24-2018 11:39 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
I'm just going to grade our coach, because I haven't paid enough detailed attention to the other programs to give a fair evaluation on them.

Moglia: C
10-24-2018 11:52 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(10-24-2018 11:52 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  I'm just going to grade our coach, because I haven't paid enough detailed attention to the other programs to give a fair evaluation on them.

He get's a C after whoopin' current CUSA leader UAB?

Dang.
10-24-2018 12:54 PM
CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
I like the direction that Napier has the program going. We are not there yet, but I like what he has done so far. I like the list of recruits that are committed, but they still have to get them signed. If they compete well this weekend against Arkansas State, it will be a bonus. I will be happy with 100% effort for 4 quarters.

So far I will grade the staff at 95.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 01:23 PM by CW Fishman.)
10-24-2018 01:32 PM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
I'm going to give Campbell a C+. We still have penalties and tackling problems that we have had the past few seasons, but I knew that wouldn't go away overnight. We have had a number of injuries on defense. On offense, our starting qb Davis transfers right before spring game our all conference LT decides to leave the team. Orth has a done a good job for someone that didn't have any experience. Our Oline needs to be able to open holes for the backs. Our teams doesn't quit despite our record. We are going surprise someone this season. It will interesting to see what this new staff can recruit and develop the existing players.
10-24-2018 01:48 PM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

(10-24-2018 12:54 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 11:52 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  I'm just going to grade our coach, because I haven't paid enough detailed attention to the other programs to give a fair evaluation on them.

Dang.

You can make any narrative you want sound good by cherry picking one game.

My guess is that you haven’t watched anywhere close to as much Coastal football as I have this year.
10-24-2018 02:13 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Not new but because he sucks I am giving Withers an F.
10-24-2018 04:08 PM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(10-24-2018 02:13 PM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 12:54 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

Dang.

You can make any narrative you want sound good by cherry picking one game.

My guess is that you haven’t watched anywhere close to as much Coastal football as I have this year.

You're guess is right. Oh well. Sucks
10-24-2018 04:14 PM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-24-2018 01:48 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  I'm going to give Campbell a C+. We still have penalties and tackling problems that we have had the past few seasons, but I knew that wouldn't go away overnight. We have had a number of injuries on defense. On offense, our starting qb Davis transfers right before spring game our all conference LT decides to leave the team. Orth has a done a good job for someone that didn't have any experience. Our Oline needs to be able to open holes for the backs. Our teams doesn't quit despite our record. We are going surprise someone this season. It will interesting to see what this new staff can recruit and develop the existing players.

I noticed that in our game and your Troy game that it seems like USA gets a lot of what I call "frustration penalties." It seems like the unsportmanlike calls start coming when the games start slipping away. Was that common under Joey Jones too? It's the main thing I've noticed from those two games.
10-25-2018 09:34 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

(10-25-2018 09:34 AM)cmaxwellgsu Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 01:48 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  I'm going to give Campbell a C+. We still have penalties and tackling problems that we have had the past few seasons, but I knew that wouldn't go away overnight. We have had a number of injuries on defense. On offense, our starting qb Davis transfers right before spring game our all conference LT decides to leave the team. Orth has a done a good job for someone that didn't have any experience. Our Oline needs to be able to open holes for the backs. Our teams doesn't quit despite our record. We are going surprise someone this season. It will interesting to see what this new staff can recruit and develop the existing players.

I noticed that in our game and your Troy game that it seems like USA gets a lot of what I call "frustration penalties." It seems like the unsportmanlike calls start coming when the games start slipping away. Was that common under Joey Jones too? It's the main thing I've noticed from those two games.

Those frustration penalties have been there for years since we have been FBS under Joey. Our first couple of years when we started the program we didn't have this, but we were undefeated for our 1st 2 years.
10-25-2018 10:34 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Bryan Brown - A+ Took over defense after Woody and Scott Sloan leaves and the defensive philosophy of bend but don't break appears to be gone. New philosophy is "don't break".
10-25-2018 10:51 AM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

New Coaches Midseason Grades

Where did Davis end up? Dallas Davis, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-28-2018 08:32 PM
Advertisement

MOTIAW Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
A guy who does this (below - albeit from before GaSt game), deserves better than a “C”. But some in our fan base undervalue the wins vs UAB (they beat themselves), and Louisiana (maybe bc of slow start)... Inconsistency comes with youth, and especially lack of depth (4 defensive starters out vs GaSt). For some, it’s not enough to have bowl eligibility staring you in the face your first full unrestricted year as an FBS team...

2017 stats:
12 games with 3 wins vs teams that went 10-28
Road wins: 1
Scored 24 PPG
Allowed 34 PPG
Avg 62 YPG in penalties
3d down conversion % = 36%
4th down conversions = 7 of 17 or 41%
Leading rusher gained 724 yds with 7 TDs
Rushing TD totals = 15
Total rushing yards = 1875
QB comp % = 52%
TDs / INTs = 11 to 5
FG % = 63
Sacks = 15
Blocks = 2

Current 2018 stats:
7 games with 4 wins vs teams that are currently 16-13 (includes one bowl team from last year who is 6-1)
Road wins: 3
Scoring 31 PPG
Allowing 32 PPG
Avg 45 YPG in penalties
3d down conversion % = 43% (2nd in SBC)
4th down conversions = 8 of 10 (1st in SBC)
Leading rusher has gained 624 yards with 8 TDs
Rushing TD totals = 16
Total rushing yards = 1762
QB comp % = 66
TDs to INT = 12 to 4
FG % = 80
Sacks = 15
Blocks = 2

Thanks to our Coastal radio guy extrodinaire for the comps...
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2018 08:54 PM by MOTIAW.)
10-28-2018 08:53 PM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

(10-28-2018 08:32 PM)SBEagle Wrote:  

Where did Davis end up? Dallas Davis, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas Davis wound up going to UAB.
10-29-2018 10:14 AM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-28-2018 08:53 PM)MOTIAW Wrote:  A guy who does this (below - albeit from before GaSt game), deserves better than a “C”. But some in our fan base undervalue the wins vs UAB (they beat themselves), and Louisiana (maybe bc of slow start)... Inconsistency comes with youth, and especially lack of depth (4 defensive starters out vs GaSt). For some, it’s not enough to have bowl eligibility staring you in the face your first full unrestricted year as an FBS team...

2017 stats:
Scored 24 PPG
Allowed 34 PPG
Avg 62 YPG in penalties
Rushing TD totals = 15
QB comp % = 52%
TDs / INTs = 11 to 5
FG % = 63
Sacks = 15
Blocks = 2

Current 2018 stats:
7 games with 4 wins vs teams that are currently 16-13 (includes one bowl team from last year who is 6-1)
Scoring 31 PPG
Allowing 32 PPG
Avg 45 YPG in penalties
Rushing TD totals = 16
QB comp % = 66
TDs to INT = 12 to 4
FG % = 80
Sacks = 15
Blocks = 2

It doesn't matter if you beat Louisiana because of a slow start.....you won....period.
10-29-2018 10:27 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

(10-29-2018 10:27 AM)swampbear Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 08:53 PM)MOTIAW Wrote:  A guy who does this (below - albeit from before GaSt game), deserves better than a “C”. But some in our fan base undervalue the wins vs UAB (they beat themselves), and Louisiana (maybe bc of slow start)... Inconsistency comes with youth, and especially lack of depth (4 defensive starters out vs GaSt). For some, it’s not enough to have bowl eligibility staring you in the face your first full unrestricted year as an FBS team...

2017 stats:
Scored 24 PPG
Allowed 34 PPG
Avg 62 YPG in penalties
Rushing TD totals = 15
QB comp % = 52%
TDs / INTs = 11 to 5
FG % = 63
Sacks = 15
Blocks = 2

Current 2018 stats:
Scoring 31 PPG
Allowing 32 PPG
Avg 45 YPG in penalties
Rushing TD totals = 16
QB comp % = 66
TDs to INT = 12 to 4
FG % = 80
Sacks = 15
Blocks = 2

It doesn't matter if you beat Louisiana because of a slow start.....you won....period.

Reality is that there are no CCU fans that are dismissing the ULL win. That’s a made up line.

It was an impressive win to go on the road and beat you guys. I think it was our most impressive showing of the season.

The win that is most widely acknowledged as better on paper than it was in reality is our UAB win.

Anyone who watched that game with any sense saw what happened. UAB completely imploded in an astoundingly epic way. But a win is a win so we will take it.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2018 10:33 AM by CoastalAlum2011.)
10-29-2018 10:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.