Enquirer: Larry Davis was ousted over assault charges in North Carolina

10-23-2018 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCinNKY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati Bear
RE: Enquirer: Larry Davis was ousted over assault charges in North Carolina
Well, hmm-the optics for this are not going to look good for UC. I understand this happened last year, but it seems like they tried to cover the whole incident up. Granted this isn't like Sandusky or even Urban Meyer, but this coming light before the season will most definitely be a distraction.

Then again, what did he even allegedly do?

10-23-2018 03:21 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
If the report is true that UC was in the process of the termination process before he resigned, I don't see any hit to UC. It's not as though they need to air the dirty laundry in the most public way possible, and there's no evidence that they acted in any way to keep it private or to interfere with any criminal or civil proceedings.

10-23-2018 03:25 PM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
This makes MUCH MORE sense.

I don't love the incident, but I'm thrilled there's some clarity. Seemed waaaaay too weird that he retired right before the season. I assumed it was health related, but I'm glad he's okay (all things considered).

10-23-2018 03:28 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(10-23-2018 03:25 PM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  If the report is true that UC was in the process of the termination process before he resigned, I don't see any hit to UC. It's not as though they need to air the dirty laundry in the most public way possible, and there's no evidence that they acted in any way to keep it private or to interfere with any criminal or civil proceedings.

I agree with your assessment. We won't assume his guilt, although that's become fashionable. Still, as the article stated, this has nothing to do with student athletes or other University employees so it appears UC followed a prudent course of action by investigating, following the known facts and then parting ways.

10-23-2018 04:00 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Appears LD coped a feel of a 23 year old woman on an airplane. Right move by UC

http://www.fox19.com/2018/10/23/ex-uc-as...r-assault/

10-23-2018 04:30 PM
Advertisement

UCengr Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Yep the abrupt departure makes a lot more sense now, although not in a good way unfortunately...

10-23-2018 04:49 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-23-2018 03:25 PM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  If the report is true that UC was in the process of the termination process before he resigned, I don't see any hit to UC. It's not as though they need to air the dirty laundry in the most public way possible, and there's no evidence that they acted in any way to keep it private or to interfere with any criminal or civil proceedings.

In the Fox19 article, Bohn says that they learned about it in fall 2017, suspended Davis, but then couldn't substantiate the allegation, so he was allowed to coach last year. I imagine he denied the whole thing, but it's certainly weird that UC says they looked into it and found nothing and now he's pleading guilty.

10-23-2018 04:58 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(10-23-2018 04:58 PM)levydl Wrote:  

In the Fox19 article, Bohn says that they learned about it in fall 2017, suspended Davis, but then couldn't substantiate the allegation, so he was allowed to coach last year. I imagine he denied the whole thing, but it's certainly weird that UC says they looked into it and found nothing and now he's pleading guilty.

Yeah, that's not good. When were criminal charges filed? That timeline should be telling.

10-23-2018 05:04 PM
UCinNKY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati Bear
Thankfully this will not have an effect on Mick, or the upcoming season. That said, this whole story gives me a headache.

10-23-2018 05:22 PM
CallMeSlim Offline
2nd String

(10-23-2018 05:04 PM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(10-23-2018 04:58 PM)levydl Wrote:  

Yeah, that's not good. When were criminal charges filed? That timeline should be telling.

september 12 2017, the day the incident took place.

10-23-2018 05:26 PM
Advertisement

stpnum4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Well this makes sense. It was going to be a situation like this or some terrible health condition with how aburpt the resignation was.

10-23-2018 06:15 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
I wonder if he was drinking? I've seen him on quite a few airplanes over the years as i travel extensively and it doesn't sound like the Davis i observed. Interesting.

10-23-2018 07:58 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
This is bizarre. Who feels up a complete stranger with a dozen potential witnesses within a few feet?

My Mom just mentioned that this type of thing (a woman being felt up by a man sitting next to her on the plane) happens more often than you'd think. My response: "ever" is more often than I'd think.

10-23-2018 11:11 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(10-23-2018 11:11 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  This is bizarre. Who feels up a complete stranger with a dozen potential witnesses within a few feet?

My Mom just mentioned that this type of thing (a woman being felt up by a man sitting next to her on the plane) happens more often than you'd think. My response: "ever" is more often than I'd think.

I don't know. Read the news much? Seriously?

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2018 11:29 PM by rtaylor.)
10-23-2018 11:28 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Wow.

10-24-2018 06:03 AM
Advertisement

Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(10-23-2018 11:28 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(10-23-2018 11:11 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  This is bizarre. Who feels up a complete stranger with a dozen potential witnesses within a few feet?

I don't know. Read the news much? Seriously?

Figured it is worth noting to Captain Bearcat or anyone not aware that an arrest was just made on a Southwest flight with a man groping a female passenger. I don't want to get into the specifics or post the link, because some of the statements are pretty political and I don't want to derail the thread... but apparently this thing happens with some frequency.

What's worse for Davis and the guy just arrested are that any arrests made on an Airplane are prosecuted in federal court. They take that **** seriously.

10-24-2018 07:02 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Micks quote in the Enquirer. "I told him not to wear his MAGA hat on recruiting trips but nooo...he never listens."

10-24-2018 07:36 AM
crex043 Offline
All American

I think UC can demonstrate that they didn't completely ignore the allegations. Walking the line between protecting the accuser and the accused is hard and rarely agreed upon by either side, so I doubt whatever the university does will be completely accepted by all.

Outside of the abuse allegations, this one is especially damning:

“The disturbing part of it is after he exited the plane he changed clothes and tried to hide in one of the shops in the Charlotte airport. When the police found him and asked him what his name was, he gave them an alias name but when they went back to the manifest that name was not on that flight.”

10-24-2018 08:58 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(10-23-2018 07:58 PM)dsquare Wrote:  I wonder if he was drinking? I've seen him on quite a few airplanes over the years as i travel extensively and it doesn't sound like the Davis i observed. Interesting.

That was my thought as well. Of course that does not excuse him but might have made him more likely to attempt what he is accused of.

UC had no choice in this matter.

10-24-2018 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.