https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...alignment/
10-22-2018 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Conference Realignment
TLDR - future conference realignment could be based on how much conferences are willing to let schools pay players.

I imagine we'll still be mid major when the dust settles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
10-22-2018 06:03 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Conference Realignment
(10-22-2018 06:03 PM)odu09 Wrote:  TLDR - future conference realignment could be based on how much conferences are willing to let schools pay players.

Of course we will be. The best we can hope for is that 25% of the P5 drop down to G5 level. The big four semi pro conferences will split off. Then maybe we can get reasonable geographic conferences with some decent names and rivalries.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2018 06:20 PM by monarx.)
10-22-2018 06:20 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
(10-22-2018 06:20 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-22-2018 06:03 PM)odu09 Wrote:  TLDR - future conference realignment could be based on how much conferences are willing to let schools pay players.

Of course we will be. The best we can hope for is that 25% of the P5 drop down to G5 level. The big four semi pro conferences will split off. Then maybe we can get reasonable geographic conferences with some decent names and rivalries.

Not gonna happen. Players will hire agents who will negotiate what the player should be paid. No one will be satisfied. It'll spiral out of control.
10-22-2018 06:50 PM
Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(10-22-2018 06:50 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  

Not gonna happen. Players will hire agents who will negotiate what the player should be paid. No one will be satisfied. It'll spiral out of control.
This. If Big 4 split off it will be a disaster for everyone, especially the Big 4.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
10-22-2018 07:58 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(10-22-2018 07:58 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

This. If Big 4 split off it will be a disaster for everyone, especially the Big 4.

It might be better for the rest of us. Outside of those 64 privileged teams, there will still be a lot of fans and teams. Maybe it will allow for sensible conferences all playing by the same rules. I would think that tournament with the remaining 250 teams would still be quite exciting.
10-22-2018 08:38 PM
Advertisement

odusteeler Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: ODU, W&M
I imagine this will put some state legislatures in a difficult spot. Do big state schools like Cal & UCLA join the unlimited arms race, or get reigned in by voters & politicians??? Easier environment for Bama & Arkansas to get support than for cash strapped stated like Illinois & Pennsylvania...and which schools within a state gets to play/spend in the big-boy class & who doesn’t?...Might see even more bills like Mr. Cox’s real soon.
10-22-2018 09:18 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I would guess some states say they can only pay with private money. Which opens the door to corporate money buying players for chosen teams. Yikes. I still think this should be the D league’s role. If guys want to be paid, play there.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2018 09:46 PM by monarx.)
10-22-2018 09:46 PM
Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(10-22-2018 08:38 PM)monarx Wrote:  

It might be better for the rest of us. Outside of those 64 privileged teams, there will still be a lot of fans and teams. Maybe it will allow for sensible conferences all playing by the same rules. I would think that tournament with the remaining 250 teams would still be quite exciting.

Agree. And I think it would have the potential of making the league of leftovers the more popular league. Which tournament would people be more interested in, I know it wouldn't be the p4 for me.
10-23-2018 08:15 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

Conference Realignment talks are heating up again within the Big 12 and AAC. How does that affect ODU? To soon to tell but here is an interesting article from the Marshall side about the possibility of ODU or Marshall making it to the AAC. Article was from 2016

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/ma...1d6f7.html
12-12-2018 11:08 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

Here is a scenario where if Oklahoma and Texas go to the Big 10 happens then the whole rest of B12/AAC/C-USA and Sunbelt will get shaken up.

Big 10
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio St.
Michigan
Penn State
Illinois
Iowa
Nebraska
Rutgers
Michigan State
Minnasota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Indiana
Maryland
Purdue

Big 12
TCU
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Iowa State
West Virginia
Kansas State
Kansas
Houston
Memphis
UCF
USF
Cincinatti

Without UConn (Big East for BBall), UH, Cincy, Memphis, UCF and USF the American is no longer above the other G5 conferences and should join the regional split with C-USA and Sunbelt. This acutally is one of the best regional splits I have come up with but it probably will never happen.

AAC 12 Full, 1 BB only, 1 FB only
Witchita St (BB only)
Arkansas State
Tulsa
North Texas
Rice
UTEP
SMU
Texas State
UTSA
Tulane
Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe
La Tech
New Mexico St (FB only)

C-USA 10 Full 3 FB only
Temple
Old Dominion
Navy (FB only)
Army (FB only)
UConn (Fb only)
ECU
Marshall
App State
Charlotte
UMass
Liberty
JMU
Coastal Carolina

Sunbelt 10 Full
Southern Miss
MTSU
WKU
UAB
Troy
Ga Southern
Ga State
FIU
FAU
South Alabama
12-12-2018 11:36 AM
Advertisement

jumpshooter Offline
1st String

A little APP State info:

App State's Board of Trustees has approved a significant raise in student fees to fund the university's athletics program (total athletics fees are now close to $1,000)--a week after the provost cited the university's prioritization of academics as a justification for denying faculty pay raises.

https://aaupappalachian.com/2018/12/12/a...iTGrds-ALE
12-12-2018 11:43 AM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

Forget regional realignments. No one in the AAC will move to another G5 conference. No matter how much sense it makes.

JMpoo will not move up. Please would all ODU fans stop with that $hite. Been rehashed too many times. I still can't understand people's fascination with those turds.
12-12-2018 11:44 AM
Maryland Monarch Offline
1st String

It's always been my contention that once college sports begin paying players, they become defacto pro sports and of little interest to many fans. In essence, they become minor league teams for the pros. If I'm going to watch pro sports, I'm going to watch the NFL, not some crappy alternative.

Unchecked greed is going to kill the Golden Goose for the NCAA...and ESPN, for that matter. Nobody wants to watch Alabama pummel some over-matched, out-gunned, under-financed rival. There is no drama to that. It would be like watching Mike Tyson fight Betty White.

I wonder how long the money will last if things continue on the same path. TV is funding the college football arms race and that money is dependent on ratings. People want to watch competitive sports with upsets and the occasional Cinderella. They don't want to watch a pre-determined outcome, aka the Harlem Globetrotters beating the Washington Generals.

The only thing I know for sure is that things are going to change. Probably for the worse in the short-term, but I think for the better in the long-run. It's going to be interesting to watch.
12-12-2018 11:56 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(12-12-2018 11:44 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Forget regional realignments. No one in the AAC will move to another G5 conference. No matter how much sense it makes.

JMpoo will not move up. Please would all ODU fans stop with that $hite. Been rehashed too many times. I still can't understand people's fascination with those turds.

They will if half their conference has moved to the Big 12 or Big East.

Conference Realignment talk will never die! 01-lauramac2
12-12-2018 11:58 AM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(12-12-2018 11:58 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(12-12-2018 11:44 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Forget regional realignments. No one in the AAC will move to another G5 conference. No matter how much sense it makes.

They will if half their conference has moved to the Big 12 or Big East.

Conference Realignment talk will never die! 01-lauramac2

Exactly. All it would take is for 3 of Houston, UCF, Cincy and UConn to leave and the AAC house of cards crumbles. Once that happens geographic sanity can begin.
12-12-2018 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu

Which P5 conference do you see dropping down?
12-12-2018 02:45 PM
Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(12-12-2018 02:45 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Which P5 conference do you see dropping down?

I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I think someone referenced a realignment of the P5 into 4 super-conferences prior to my post, and I was referring to that.
12-12-2018 02:55 PM
Can't Tame the Lion Offline
Special Teams

This 1000%
12-12-2018 04:23 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(12-12-2018 04:23 PM)Cant Tame the Lion Wrote:  

This 1000%

JMpoo is 18 months away from having top third AAC facilities across the board and an AAC budget. If it's not AAC, it's a mid-atlantic geo conference.

When are the dominoes going to fall?
12-12-2018 05:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.