Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA basketball media tip off day
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
CUSA basketball media tip off day
Coaches Langley and Pera were just interviewed.

Langley did say Olivia Ogwumike was healthy so that's good to hear. Really they just mentioned the two Ogwumike sisters and Nancy Mulkey. They have a lot more than that but I guess it's a time constraint issue.

Nothing new from Pera really than the note he mentioned where they had 9 games last year where they were tied or ahead in the final 3 minutes that they ended up losing. They have to do a better job in that area which is possible if someone is willing to be the main person down the stretch. He did say nice things about Josh Parrish and the veteran juniors (Ako Adams, Tim Harrison and Rob Martin). And I get the sense he likes this year's freshman class more than last year's.
10-22-2018 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: CUSA basketball media tip off day
He loves the freshmen. All 5 will play. They will need to get stronger and play better defense but they're very excited about their future. Trey Murphy III is an incredible shooter say the coaches, but needs work on D.
10-22-2018 01:47 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
It looks like the scrimmage/practice tomorrow is open to students. Free food provided by the Rally Club.

Also the season ticket pickup and open practice.
10-22-2018 01:55 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

I will try to be there tomorrow to pick up my season tickets.
10-22-2018 06:19 PM
elw4796 Online
Heisman

Anybody watch practice/have any insightful comments?
10-23-2018 08:01 PM
Advertisement

texowl2 Online
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
Missed most of it. The one thing that I noticed is that we lack size, by that I mean bulk, not height. May not be bad per se, but our heaviest 4 guys are 215/220-2 being our graduate transfers, so teams with talented big men with size may be trouble. We do have 6 that are at least 6-7
10-23-2018 08:27 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

I think this will be the 2nd best freshman class we’ve had in 10 years. Tough to beat the 2015 one just because of Evans. I guess if these guys develop and stay 4 years they could turn out to be better than that class.

You’re right we don’t really have any bodies over 220lbs but we have more size this year than last. The returning guys have really slimmed down in the offseason S&C. Very noticeable with Rober Martin and even Ako a little.

Moore and Mullins look physically ready for college ball as freshmen. Moore took a fast break up for a dunk and made it look easy. Hoping their defense is as good as advertised but it’s hard to tell in a scrimmage. Both handled the ball fine.
Murphy definitely grew to 6’7 or so as reported. He’s similar in height to Peterson now. Didn’t shoot much in the short scrimmage but he had at least one smooth shot. Can handle the ball.
Peterson reminds be of one of those mid major guys who you can build a team around as a senior like Butler always seemed to have (maybe because he’s from the Midwest I don’t know). Seemed very confident. Good size at 6’8. Stepped into an opening and drilled a 3. He’s going to have to learn he can’t always dribble around guys at this level though. Got him stuck once trying to drive the baseline.
QMB has impressive footwork and awareness for a young 6’10 freshman. 20 straight minutes of playing time was tough on his conditioning (I’m sure they were practicing before too) he might be the biggest project of the group but he had a nice block (straight up) and he can easily get up to throw it down on a dump off pass which is nice to see.
Parrish I wasn’t watching as much. Everyone reported he’s our best player so I’ll just wait for the games to start.
Williams has a very weird shot but he has the size to get it off. Seemed confident driving the ball and getting his shots up. Think he had a nice rebound if I remember right.
Returning guys I wasn’t too focused on. Ako only had 1 turnover I remember. Harrison took a couple nice 10 ft jumpers and nailed them. That’s tough to stop with his size if he can hit them like he did today. He seemed more poised on the court. Martin had a couple nice plays. Jones seemed a little more aggressive than last season.
Oliver and Addison played some but not the last 10+ min of scrimmage. Addison is pretty quick and got a bucket on a rebound scrap.

Pera seemed a little happier this year. Hopefully he won’t be as stressed out by our play this season.
10-23-2018 09:32 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Thanks for the updates. Sounds promising. Staying healthy will be important, but then again we were generally healthy last year (outside of the concussion to the grad transfer). The most important observation might be your last one.
10-23-2018 09:36 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I commented to Pera how I did thought Williams reminded me of Seth Gearhart his Sr year and Pera agreed.

One thing to remember that last year was tough on Pera not just because he suddenly had to beat the bushes for players who hadn’t yet signed and Rice was their only D1 offer. He managed to improve Hunter and Osborne to the point they had good offers to transfer out. Pera also had to deal with the house he had barely moved into flooding during Harvey. His girls suddenly had to change schools and it couldn’t have come at a worse time.

We got a chance to chat for quite a while with Drew Peterson, 6’8” freshman from Libertyville Illinois. I like to ask the freshmen how they are adjusting to the academic demands at Rice. He said it was hard the first month but was feeling more comfortable now. He told us that he was a math/Econ major and ultimately thought he would wind up in investment banking. Of course we made the Tudor jokes and he said he could envision a Drew Peterson arena in the future. One thing we found interesting was that he knew ultimately he would get a MBA and had thought prior to starting at Rice he would be a business major but finding there was no business major he thought adding math to an Econ degree made sense and that he was really happy that he could do that...nice comparison to a former player who griped about Rice not having a business major. We also talked about how tight this freshman class is and that they had stayed in close contact with each other once they committed. We had the sense that we would hear similar comments from the other freshmen if we asked them the same questions. The staff said they would recruit differently from Rhoade’s and so far it seems to be true.

The other pleasant surprise was Robert Martin who looked in better shape and much more confident. His new role will take him out on the wing another having to defend down low.
10-23-2018 10:11 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
BTW the conference in men's basketball may be decent this year. In fact, we might have two teams who can be top-25 type squads in Marshall and Western Kentucky, and ODU could be pretty good as well. We're picked 14th (out of 14) in the preseason and that's fair based on what we have coming back - it's a battle on paper between us and Charlotte for the last two spots. But I think we'll be much better than people expect.
10-24-2018 06:02 AM
elw4796 Online
Heisman

I know it's hard to judge because we're playing against ourselves and we don't really know how good we are offensively, but does there look to be improvements on the defensive side? Were we still primarily in the zone or does it look like more man this year?
10-24-2018 11:05 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

It wasn’t a full scrimmage that we saw last night so no real clue as to whether our man to man defense has improved. There was one drill that worked on quickness in transition defense.
10-24-2018 05:36 PM
Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
I did not see the open practice this week but caught an early one before they went to Spain. The key to the season will be the emergence of a couple of real scoring options. I think Trey Murphy III seems to be the guy who could emerge from the pack to be a go-to scorer. I really like his shooting touch. Jack Williams will need to create space to shoot beyond the arc because his launch point for his perimeter shot is from his chest/shoulder instead of above his head. He did drive to the basket better than I initially expected. I do not think his game is as strong as Seth G's from a few years back (as alluded to by Tiki Owl above), but he was not afraid to go inside and fight for the board when I watched practice earlier.

It will be interesting to see who emerges on the floor as a leader. You hope it will be either Ako or Josh Parrish. Quite frankly, it will be good for this team if Ako's time begins to get squeezed because of the emergence of some of the freshmen like Murphy or Payton Moore. It would mean the upside of these Freshmen is substantial. Also, the Owls will really need quality minutes from Tim Harrison and Dylan Jones if it wants to compete to be at least a .500 team (which I do not see in the cards this year).
10-25-2018 04:14 PM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

(10-25-2018 04:14 PM)Kayjay Wrote:  I did not see the open practice this week but caught an early one before they went to Spain. The key to the season will be the emergence of a couple of real scoring options. I think Trey Murphy III seems to be the guy who could emerge from the pack to be a go-to scorer. I really like his shooting touch. Jack Williams will need to create space to shoot beyond the arc because his launch point for his perimeter shot is from his chest/shoulder instead of above his head. He did drive to the basket better than I initially expected. I do not think his game is as strong as Seth G's from a few years back (as alluded to by Tiki Owl above), but he was not afraid to go inside and fight for the board when I watched practice earlier.

It will be interesting to see who emerges on the floor as a leader. You hope it will be either Ako or Josh Parrish. Quite frankly, it will be good for this team if Ako's time begins to get squeezed because of the emergence of some of the freshmen like Murphy or Payton Moore. It would mean the upside of these Freshmen is substantial. Also, the Owls will really need quality minutes from Tim Harrison and Dylan Jones if it wants to compete to be at least a .500 team (which I do not see in the cards this year).

I agree on Williams shot, he does play with tenacity though on drives and rebounds. I’d think Ako will get the bulk of the minutes as our true PG but the other guys seemed comfortable handling the ball. I want to see if Parrish can take over a game and put the talent everyone has been talking about to use.

I think Murphy will have 4 point games and 24 point games. Depends on the perimeter defense of whoever we’re playing and whether they adjust when he’s hitting them. I’d put money on Peterson as the more consistent scorer for now out of the freshmen but that’s just my guess.
10-25-2018 04:56 PM
elw4796 Online
Heisman

Anybody hear anything about the scrimmage against SFA that was supposed to be this weekend?
10-28-2018 05:44 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
MyBB RE: CUSA basketball media tip off day
thanks for the updates, especially the stuff from Tiki about Peterson and his academic plans. Nice to read that kind of stuff, which I doubt you see so much at other 'better' schools from their "student"/athletes.

With football where it is, will be following both men's and women's hoops more than usual this year.
10-29-2018 08:11 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-29-2018 08:11 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  thanks for the updates, especially the stuff from Tiki about Peterson and his academic plans. Nice to read that kind of stuff, which I doubt you see so much at other 'better' schools from their "student"/athletes.

With football where it is, will be following both men's and women's hoops more than usual this year.

At the 3Pt Dinner we ate with Rhett Bonner, the Director of Basketball Operations, Payton Moore, Freshman guard from Santa Monica, and Trey Murphy, Freshman guard from Durham. Both players were like the other Freshmen in being well spoken, outgoing, and well grounded. They seem to clearly know what they want and the work it will take to get there. They both represent the type of recruit the staff said they wanted Murphy to recruit. They are academically and athletically strong. Murphy’s dad played basketball at East Carolina while Moore’s played at Furman. Moore’s mother is a Penn grad.
10-30-2018 09:22 AM
elw4796 Online
Heisman

As a heads up for the exhibition tomorrow from Rice's preview. Doesn't sound like St. Thomas will be a pushover:

Scouting St. Thomas
• St. Thomas enters tonight's game with a 1-2 record after falling on Tuesday at Wayland Baptist, 76-66.
• The Celts finished 16-12 record and 8-10 in the Red River Athletic Conference.
• UST returns five players with All-Conference honors in guards Kennard Robinson and Paris Marquez and forwards Orowo Eleyae, Nathan Thormaehlen and Paul Taulton.
• St. Thomas is placing five players in double-figures, led by Eleyae with 14.3 points. Robinson is scoring 14.0 and Michael Alfred and Thormaehlen are each scoring 13.3. Taulton is adding 11.0.
• Taulton leads the Celts 4.3 rebounds. Robinson is adding a team-high 4.3 assists and 4.0 steals.
10-31-2018 08:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.