Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post FIU / Pre NT Mean Green FB Thread
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Havent watched the FIU game so I am unable to comment, but it seems from the stats that the offense still needs a load of 'go juice'.

Glad to see a lot of younger players getting good playing time, though.
10-21-2018 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RE: Post FIU / Pre NT Mean Green FB Thread
Rice drops to 129 in Massey, one spot ahead of last place UTEP.
10-21-2018 10:35 AM
Papa_Owl Offline
Water Engineer

https://youtu.be/Ndqi58B5qT4

Link to the FIU post game presser with Coach Bloom.
10-21-2018 10:43 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-21-2018 09:00 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Havent watched the FIU game so I am unable to comment, but it seems from the stats that the offense still needs a load of 'go juice'.

Glad to see a lot of younger players getting good playing time, though.

The FIU game performance is what I would have expected after or around our games against both UHs. Not great, but showing signs of improvement.

I am frustrated that we did not give Marshman more PT early on this season in garbage time.
10-21-2018 11:42 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
I think that Bloom has shut the book on trying to woo recruits with a 'we are climbing out' record of wins.

I think he has to go all in with the storyline to new recruits that 'If you contribute, you *will* get (maybe substantial) playing time.' I think that is the card he has to play at this time for recruiting.

Looking at a replay of the game, you had nothing but fresh hands at QB; and more than a handful of players starting and playing lots of downs on defense who are freshmen and/or sophs. I seem to think that the young players on D *are* making substantive contributions as well....

With all respect, the use of the younger QBs was statistically the same as the 95% Stank / 5% Tyner that we have seen to date. But, on the other hand, that former duo may not have the same upside as getting a far younger player significant 'preseason' time as seemed to the case last night.

And, if Bloom is willing to 'toss the keys' to arguably the most important position on the offense to such a 'youngster', that sends a massive message to the present recruits on what Bloom is willing to do given that he might see promise.
10-21-2018 12:07 PM
owl at the moon Online
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Much happier about this game than the past two. Feels like we’re back to where we were before the bye week, which is a good thing.

Despite not getting called for a single penalty, I still think the officiating could have been the straw that broke our back last night. We do still have a bit of a house of cards and while it is getting stronger, it hasn’t really withstood 4 quarters all year.

Special Teams Rock and unofficially I think we’re 7-1 on the year for special teams.

UNT is good but isn’t a powerhouse. I think we give them a solid game. However I’m a whole lot more worried about UTEP than I was a month ago; they’ve made some good strides lately and we will need our A game to notch that one as a win.
We’ll need an A+ to beat UNT but I think we’ve got it in us. I’ll share a score prediction later this week.
10-21-2018 01:01 PM
Advertisement

Intellectual_Brutality Online
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
(10-21-2018 12:07 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  With all respect, the use of the younger QBs was statistically the same as the 95% Stank / 5% Tyner that we have seen to date.

The previous 2 games of 95/5 Stank/Tyner generated all of 3 points. Last night generated 17. That strikes me as an improvement.
10-21-2018 01:26 PM
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

(10-21-2018 12:07 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  With all respect, the use of the younger QBs was statistically the same as the 95% Stank / 5% Tyner that we have seen to date. But, on the other hand, that former duo may not have the same upside as getting a far younger player significant 'preseason' time as seemed to the case last night.

The underlined section is what I've hoped to see since Houston. We were never going to have Stankavage for more than two years (if even that), and the offense's less than stellar play wasn't going to generate wins that move the needle for recruiting. In light of that, I'd rather get experience for the players who will be here in 2020 and beyond in the timeframe when the fans and administration should start demanding results from the new staff.
10-21-2018 01:29 PM
Barney Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice Owls
Part of the reason we looked better on offense last night was that FIU has a weaker defense than USM, UTSA or UAB. They were very fast at WR and a good offensive team, and so our defense looked relatively weaker.
The other part of our improvement though was the abandonment of "pound the rock" and the finding of a QB who is suited to a more multi-dimensional attack.

I've not said this before, not wanting to be negative with a new coach. But, I can't say I was ever impressed with the strategy of "play great defense" (who doesn't plan to do that) and "pound the rock" (who doesn't want to be able to run the ball well). I think we might do better to have Bloomgren be CEO and let Mack run the offense.
10-21-2018 02:47 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-21-2018 02:47 PM)Barney Wrote:  Part of the reason we looked better on offense last night was that FIU has a weaker defense than USM, UTSA or UAB. They were very fast at WR and a good offensive team, and so our defense looked relatively weaker.
The other part of our improvement though was the abandonment of "pound the rock" and the finding of a QB who is suited to a more multi-dimensional attack.
I've not said this before, not wanting to be negative with a new coach. But, I can't say I was ever impressed with the strategy of "play great defense" (who doesn't plan to do that)

I can tell you who didn't plan to do that: Lots of head coaches we have had in the past--Homer Rice, Watson Brown, Jerry Berndt, and apparently David Bailiff.

Quote:and "pound the rock" (who doesn't want to be able to run the ball well). I think we might do better to have Bloomgren be CEO and let Mack run the offense.

I have made no secret that I seriously question whether we can make "pound the rock" work. If we can recruit the kinds of athletes that Stanford can, then yes. But I don't think that we can do that. I think we have a much better chance of recruiting the kinds of people who can make Mack's offense work than can make Bloomgren's/Stanford's offense work.

I'm more, "play great defense, win the kicking game, and do something different on offense." I think that's the philosophy we can recruit to and win with. I do think we have made some strides on defense this year, and the transformation of our kicking game has been remarkable. I think our rebuilding effort would be further along if we had made a more concerted effort to go deeper into the bench earlier in the year. Unfortunately, the way games played out, we really didn't have many opportunities, in part because the improvements on defense and in the kicking game kept us in games longer.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2018 05:09 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
10-21-2018 02:58 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
UNT favored by 28.
10-21-2018 04:52 PM
Advertisement

Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2018 02:47 PM)Barney Wrote:  I've not said this before, not wanting to be negative with a new coach. But, I can't say I was ever impressed with the strategy of "play great defense" (who doesn't plan to do that) and "pound the rock" (who doesn't want to be able to run the ball well).

Valid point, but I like those two strategies better than “control the clock.” “Controlling” the clock is the one thing Rice Football has been generally successful at for the past quarter-century, it hasn’t turned into many wins, and it isn’t terribly difficult to figure out why.
10-22-2018 12:15 AM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Marshman can move the ball. He is accurate on short/swing/screen passes, something Stank struggled with. Has enough arm to throw some deep throws as well, though not overly impressive down the field. His second TD run (54 yards) showed rare athleticism to be able to get into endzone. Made some rookie mistakes when pressured in the pocket, but that can be improved with reps. Unfortunately he hurt his hand on that play and I doubt he'll be available anytime soon, but going into next season he's my top QB by far.
10-22-2018 08:51 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-21-2018 02:47 PM)Barney Wrote:  Part of the reason we looked better on offense last night was that FIU has a weaker defense than USM, UTSA or UAB. They were very fast at WR and a good offensive team, and so our defense looked relatively weaker.

Only in pure defensive totals. Per Massey composite defensive rankings

USM : 94
UTSA : 98
UAB : 55
FIU : 78

IMO, Rice scoring more than 1.5 points per game (as we did in the last 2) was more a function of changes we made than the quality of FIU defense.
10-22-2018 09:15 AM
Papa_Owl Offline
Water Engineer

(10-22-2018 08:51 AM)Buho00 Wrote:  Marshman can move the ball. He is accurate on short/swing/screen passes, something Stank struggled with. Has enough arm to throw some deep throws as well, though not overly impressive down the field. His second TD run (54 yards) showed rare athleticism to be able to get into endzone. Made some rookie mistakes when pressured in the pocket, but that can be improved with reps. Unfortunately he hurt his hand on that play and I doubt he'll be available anytime soon, but going into next season he's my top QB by far.

I heard it was his non-throwing hand and that he jammed or dislocated a finger. Anyone else heard anything? Maybe he can still play...fingers crossed.
10-22-2018 09:15 AM
Intellectual_Brutality Online
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
(10-22-2018 09:15 AM)Papa_Owl Wrote:  
(10-22-2018 08:51 AM)Buho00 Wrote:  Marshman can move the ball. He is accurate on short/swing/screen passes, something Stank struggled with. Has enough arm to throw some deep throws as well, though not overly impressive down the field. His second TD run (54 yards) showed rare athleticism to be able to get into endzone. Made some rookie mistakes when pressured in the pocket, but that can be improved with reps. Unfortunately he hurt his hand on that play and I doubt he'll be available anytime soon, but going into next season he's my top QB by far.

I heard it was his non-throwing hand and that he jammed or dislocated a finger. Anyone else heard anything? Maybe he can still play...fingers crossed.

05-nono05-nono05-nono05-mafia05-mafia05-mafia
10-22-2018 10:35 AM
Advertisement

Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I heard (from a non-athletic department source) that he will have/has had surgery today on his left hand...I don't know the nature or extent of the injury but I don't know about his availability this week.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2018 11:24 AM by Houston Owl.)
10-22-2018 11:24 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-22-2018 10:35 AM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  
(10-22-2018 09:15 AM)Papa_Owl Wrote:  

05-nono05-nono05-nono05-mafia05-mafia05-mafia

[Image: 4dcf58e960583a63fc77463c303dd2737a365aec...1d1d48.jpg]

But seriously, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2018 11:52 AM by Antarius.)
10-22-2018 11:51 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(10-22-2018 11:24 AM)Houston Owl Wrote:  I heard (from a non-athletic department source) that he will have/has had surgery today on his left hand...I don't know the nature or extent of the injury but I don't know about his availability this week.

Wishing him a speedy and complete recovery. Anecdotally (from personal experience, if it's a break), that's a multi-week recovery and rehab. And I'm not sure recovery from ligament surgery is quick, either.
10-22-2018 12:27 PM
Rice FB Fan Offline
Water Engineer

Going into game 1 our QB depth chart was Stankavage, Tyner, Marshman, Green, Towns.

I suspect we will see Tyner revived as a QB, otherwise two true freshmen at the 1-2 QB position for the LSU game won't be too bad, right . . .

LOL
10-22-2018 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.