Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on G-League for kids not wanting to go to college
nightowl24 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
Thoughts on G-League for kids not wanting to go to college
So the nba has approved getting 2019 that 18y/os can go to the g league. 125k minimum contract, access to nba coaching and facilities, you can accept spr contracts as well. What's your view? Does this hurt, help, moot point?

I feel it'll effect the top 10-15 kids in the country and the rest will keep doing what's been going on. Additionally I feel that the strength of your development section of your program is going to be the biggest selling point for kids going into college. I do fear a lot of kids will 1. Get students early and mrs up eligibility only to not get drafted and 2. Mrs of their schoolwork in hs because "i'm going to the g league". If I were the nba I would shoot down with mlb and really pick their brains on how they do their minor league system and emulate that knowing their will be done stark differences.
10-20-2018 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
RE: Thoughts on G-League for kids not wanting to go to college
(10-20-2018 04:04 PM)nightowl24 Wrote:  So the nba has approved getting 2019 that 18y/os can go to the g league. 125k minimum contract, access to nba coaching and facilities, you can accept spr contracts as well. What's your view? Does this hurt, help, moot point?

I feel it'll effect the top 10-15 kids in the country and the rest will keep doing what's been going on. Additionally I feel that the strength of your development section of your program is going to be the biggest selling point for kids going into college. I do fear a lot of kids will 1. Get students early and mrs up eligibility only to not get drafted and 2. Mrs of their schoolwork in hs because "i'm going to the g league". If I were the nba I would shoot down with mlb and really pick their brains on how they do their minor league system and emulate that knowing their will be done stark differences.

Any step toward a professional minor league is a good thing.

The best thing for college sports generally and for schools like Rice in particular would be to not have to depend on kids who have to be “sold” on going to college.
10-20-2018 04:08 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
My view of major college athletics soured a lot when one of the top players at Ohio State publicly complained about being expected to go to class while at college. I'm not sure that some of the recruits don't have offers for more money if they sign with a major college, but I think it's good that players that have no interest in going to college have another outlet. The current situation with kids transferring en masse creates an environment where I think that the best Rice will do is the situation that we had under Willis Wilson. Competitive basketball that was probably never going to make the NCAA tournament, but represented the University fairly well, and had decent attendance.

A question that I have is whether kids can go to school for one or two years and then jump to the G-League. What I want to see out of Rice programs is to have kids that are competitive, apply themselves at school and for the most part, stay at Rice for four years and get their degrees. Otherwise, I don't know where Rice belongs in the current environment.

My hope is that an NBA G-League provides an outlet for kids that are only interested in basketball but not at all interested in college and helps refocus NCAA athletics as a mechanism for kids to get degrees and play competitive athletics, then realize the benefits of both for the rest of their lives, whether it's as an engineer, a professional athlete, a hospital administrator, a teacher, or investment banker, or whatever... just as long as those athletes feel they've benefited from the experience. I have a lot of pride having sat in Money and Banking classes with football players, quantum physics classes with football players... all while I did not understanding the material terribly well in either case.

Rice is too small to turn athletics into a John Calipari-like one-and-done circus.

Kids that don't care enough about high school classes to blow them off on the promise of the G-League might wind up in Junior College where they may have had a college future where they didn't care about their college classes. They might still have gotten a degree at a school like North Carolina, but would they have really benefited from being in college if they never cared about school to begin with?

Minor League baseball provides about 3-4 layers of professional leagues on top of MLB. For the G-League to have a significant effect, it would have to provide a similar depth... the G-League has 27 teams, so I don't see it really having a big impact to major college programs. The biggest impact may be kids that want to transfer but decide to jump to the G-League ...

NBA G League Introduces Professional Path For Elite Basketball Prospects - NBA G League
10-20-2018 10:06 PM
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Marquez Letcher-Ellis was drafted in the 2nd round of the G-League draft. I'm guessing he would have preferred to have gone directly
10-21-2018 02:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.