Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Baseball 2019 Predictions
TFW Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls in Omaha

New Orleans BowlDonators
Rice Baseball 2019 Predictions
I’m wondering what everyone thinks the 2019 baseball season will be like. I’m optimistic what with a new Coach and all, but I don’t know anything about the returning players or new players or the coaching staff, and how that all mixes together.

Given how this football season is going (high hopes and moderate expectations that have since dropped) I’m concerned about baseball.

Is it too much to hope for 40 wins and a CUSA tournament berth? How about an NCAA tournament berth; is that remotely possible? Is the “cupboard bare,” as we are being told with football?
10-20-2018 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
RE: Rice Baseball 2019 Predictions
It's way too early to make any prediction, especially with a bunch of key players who are injured or sitting out Fall Ball (i.e., Garcia, Canterino, DiCaprio, Edwards), and not knowing whether Greenwood will have to sit out the year after transferring from Mizzou.

I'm looking forward to catching next Friday's exhibition against the Aggies, and then a couple of the final Fall Ball intrasquads the following week.
10-20-2018 07:55 AM
RiceFootball2K5 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I predict at some point this year the best uniforms in college baseball will be messed with to try some awful version incorporating the chicken head logo.
10-20-2018 11:16 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I think we have a chance to be pretty good (relative to the last two years) if we can get and stay healthy.

We should have pretty good weekend starters but I’m concerned about the bullpen.

Offensively, we lose a bunch from last year but also return some pieces. I just don’t think there’s much depth in case of an injury.

In terms of what I want to see: 1) A properly managed pitching staff with a good arm care program and limited to no “dead arms.” 2) An improved fielding percentage with less stupid errors and knowing how to field bunts.
10-20-2018 01:01 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-20-2018 11:16 AM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  I predict at some point this year the best uniforms in college baseball will be messed with to try some awful version incorporating the chicken head logo.

When we got away from the classic white (which I usually refer to as Dodger white) and the traditional road grays both using the old English script spelling Rice and went with pinstripes and an OER or any of the other 2 or 3 versions then we had already screwed up IMHO. I was not a fan of what most of us refer to as the “football jersey” we started wearing in 2003 either but could live with those on a limited basis.
10-20-2018 01:07 PM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-20-2018 01:01 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I think we have a chance to be pretty good (relative to the last two years) if we can get and stay healthy.

We should have pretty good weekend starters but I’m concerned about the bullpen.

Offensively, we lose a bunch from last year but also return some pieces. I just don’t think there’s much depth in case of an injury.

In terms of what I want to see: 1) A properly managed pitching staff with a good arm care program and limited to no “dead arms.” 2) An improved fielding percentage with less stupid errors and knowing how to field bunts.

I’ll add a running game and an ability to execute sacrifice bunts.
10-20-2018 01:09 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-20-2018 01:09 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(10-20-2018 01:01 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I think we have a chance to be pretty good (relative to the last two years) if we can get and stay healthy.

Running game? Baseball is going up the middle on 1st down as well? 05-stirthepot
10-20-2018 03:09 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-20-2018 01:09 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

This. Though at Tennessee Tech, Bragga hardly ever bunted.
10-20-2018 03:48 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards

I think it all depends on what our pitching staff looks like in February. Certainly, Canterino and Moss are as strong a 1-2 starters as there is in CUSA, and could probably hold their own against anybody. Jefferies would make a very strong Sunday starter, but he may be more valuable as our jack-of-all-trades in they bullpen. If Esquivel is finally healthy, and Kravetz can continue to pitch the way he did late last year, that will greatly solidify the bullpen, and add a lot of experience. Ditto Parthasarathy, who has pitched really well so far this Fall, reminiscent of his Freshman year, before getting injured. If eligible, Greenwood would be our #3 or #4 starter. Garcia and Gayle are once again the wild cards. They both have elite stuff IF they can throw strikes, stay healthy and stay focused....but that's a big "if". It also appears Bragga will finally give Schragger on opportunity. I like his sidearm delivery as strictly one-inning change of pace out of the bullpen. BTW, anyone know if Silber is injured, as like Garcia, he hasn't appeared yet in Fall intrasquads?
10-20-2018 04:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.