Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Challenge to the NCAA Monopoly
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Challenge to the NCAA Monopoly
This can strip the NCAA of elite talent. Cost of attendance is nowhere near $125k.....so they can't compete with this. If this is successful, maybe the XFL and Alliance of American Football create this pathway

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015...route-ncaa
10-18-2018 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Challenge to the NCAA Monopoly

10-18-2018 02:17 PM
leofrog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Basketball, yes. I don’t see this working out well for football, because you still have the age limit for going into the NFL.
10-18-2018 02:26 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
10-18-2018 02:39 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(10-18-2018 02:39 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  

I mean, if I'm Nike and I'm cutting huge "checks" to guys to go to Duke in hopes that they later sign apparel deals with me, don't I dry up the college money and just offer these kids contracts directly in order to lock them up securely?
10-18-2018 02:43 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(10-18-2018 02:43 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

I mean, if I'm Nike and I'm cutting huge "checks" to guys to go to Duke in hopes that they later sign apparel deals with me, don't I dry up the college money and just offer these kids contracts directly in order to lock them up securely?

No.

Because Duke has a bigger brand than the entire G league combined. A Nike "player" on Duke will get more exposure in one game for Duke than all of the G League combined.

You aren't going to see G League t-shirts nationwide - but you do see Duke t-shirts everywhere.
10-18-2018 03:03 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(10-18-2018 03:03 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(10-18-2018 02:43 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

No.

Because Duke has a bigger brand than the entire G league combined. A Nike "player" on Duke will get more exposure in one game for Duke than all of the G League combined.

You aren't going to see G League t-shirts nationwide - but you do see Duke t-shirts everywhere.

This is correct.

Jayson Tatum played for a year at Duke, looked like a star against college kids, became the 3rd pick in last year's NBA draft, now stars with the Celtics, and helps Nike sell a lot of shoes and apparel.

If Tatum instead played a year with the Maine Red Claws in the G-League, he would have had much less hype and visibility when he was a Celtics rookie last season. Not to mention that he would have risked looking much less impressive against 22-26 year old G-League pros than he did against 18-21 college players, 90% of whom are not even close to being good enough for the G-League, let alone the NBA.

There are some players who would be well served to go straight to the G League, but not the five-star recruits who are "allegedly" getting six figures already from boosters, shoe companies, and street agents.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 03:40 PM by Wedge.)
10-18-2018 03:39 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
They won't have to deal with academics or limitations on practice, either.
10-18-2018 03:56 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(10-18-2018 02:12 PM)otown Wrote:  This can strip the NCAA of elite talent. Cost of attendance is nowhere near $125k.....so they can't compete with this. If this is successful, maybe the XFL and Alliance of American Football create this pathway

If fans want to watch elite talent they would ignore the NCAA and watch the NBA & NFL.

Elite talent has nothing to do with the NCAA's appeal to the casual fan.
10-18-2018 04:15 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
Just abolish one and done already. Let college hoops become amateurish again.
10-18-2018 04:15 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(10-18-2018 04:15 PM)seaking4steel Wrote:  Just abolish one and done already. Let college hoops become amateurish again.

-- Abolishing one and done will mean that players can go straight from HS into the NBA draft. Players who spend one season (or 2, 3, or 4) playing college hoops will still be able to enter the NBA draft. When the NBA gets around to changing its rule, they will likely just drop the draft-eligible age from 19 to 18.

-- Even *if* the 20 best HS players every year opted for the NBA draft and/or G League out of HS, the multimillion dollar college coaches and the multimillion dollar teams that employ them are still going to want the best available players to play for their team and will still use the tools they now use to get those players. Coach K is still going to use whatever means he uses now (which the NCAA will never investigate) to land the best available players. Bill Self is still going to tell his adidas rep "I just need a couple of real guys". Coaches at Louisville or Miami or Arizona or LSU are still going to close their office door to talk to their shoe reps and other insiders, and get "help" in landing players who can help them win more games and go farther in March.
10-18-2018 04:48 PM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Personally, I think it will bomb. I doubt it will get the TV exposure of the NCAA. I wish they get rid of one and done. Just let HS kids choose to go pro or not. If they make it, great. If not, they blew an opportunity to go the college route. I know it is an out of date idea, but let people own their decision's consequences whether poor or fantastic.
10-18-2018 07:02 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(10-18-2018 02:12 PM)otown Wrote:  This can strip the NCAA of elite talent. Cost of attendance is nowhere near $125k.....so they can't compete with this. If this is successful, maybe the XFL and Alliance of American Football create this pathway

Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee is the one trying to entice HS players to his Pac Pro Football League if they want to avoid NCAA football. He announced his league is January 2017 and wanted to start this fall with all four teams in/around Los Angeles. He went radio silent for nearly a year since he didn't have the capital. They're apparently going to play next summer.
10-18-2018 07:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
It isn't going to harm the college game. It probably helps to get rid of the rapid turnover at places like Kentucky and Duke.
10-18-2018 09:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Size matters a lot more in football. There are a lot of college freshmen who could do alright in the NBA. Almost none could in the NFL.
10-18-2018 09:29 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I don't think it will hurt the college game much. Sure a kid can get $125k and not have the pressure of a mid-term basket weaving 101 exam. I think the kid that plays for a NCAAT team will have a higher Q-score and will fare far better in the draft than the kid who went G-league. If suffering through 2 semesters of college makes you a 1st round draft pick, that is worth way more than $125k. And are kids going to want to play in high-school and rec-league gyms with a eight people watching? They spent the last 10 years doing that when they played summer/AAU ball.
10-18-2018 10:29 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
couldn't they jazz up the league
put 20 franchice in real cities [Buffalo, Jackinville, Tampa ]
10-19-2018 01:49 AM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(10-19-2018 01:49 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  couldn't they jazz up the league
put 20 franchice in real cities [Buffalo, Jackinville, Tampa ]

That might be the direction the G League will be heading towards if they want to attract big prospects.
10-19-2018 07:55 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-18-2018 07:02 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Personally, I think it will bomb. I doubt it will get the TV exposure of the NCAA. I wish they get rid of one and done. Just let HS kids choose to go pro or not. If they make it, great. If not, they blew an opportunity to go the college route. I know it is an out of date idea, but let people own their decision's consequences whether poor or fantastic.

I like Calipari's suggestion. Let anybody who wants to try to make the pros right out of high school have two years to get an NBA contract. If he can't make an NBA (not G-league) roster in that time, then allow him to go to college, sit out a year, then have three years of collegiate eligibility.

But if you go to college first, and then leave early for the NBA, you can return to college but you must sit out a year, and your eligibility runs out at the end of the current five year window that starts when you first enrolled in college.
10-19-2018 08:12 AM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
This is just one part of what the NBA plans to do. My guess is once they get rid of the one&done they will require anybody who signs a NLI to stay 2 years before becoming NBA draft elgible. They would still have the option of the G league, overseas etc if college is not their thing
10-19-2018 08:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.