Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Open Scrimmge for MBB at Kap on Saturday 10/20 at 11:30
Bookmark and Share
wmmii Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Confirmed this with College that they will have customary open scrimmage at Homecoming this Saturday in Kap at 11:30!
10-18-2018 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I think it got buried in the other thread

[Image: Dpv2kIIXgAAr5Va.jpg]
10-18-2018 12:41 PM
tribetime10 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Open Scrimmge for MBB at Kap on Saturday 10/20 at 11:30
I'm not able to make it back for homecoming, but would love to hear thoughts from folks that make it to the open practice!
10-18-2018 02:53 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
Likewise. I’ve attended several of these. Usually the highlight of the weekend. I’ll be there next year.
10-18-2018 06:37 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

I'll be there. This is probably the Tribe sports highlight of the week for me.
10-18-2018 06:53 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

bubbadog, take your notebook and pen...
10-18-2018 06:57 PM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I'll be there. Going to have to entertain my kids, so I'm not sure how focused I will be
10-18-2018 07:01 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

I'm thinking that this will be the highlight of the weekend for me. BTW, what time would the FB team probably leave for the walk to Zable?
10-18-2018 07:04 PM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WillaMary
What do you think the parking situation will be? Can we park at the Kap for this event?
10-18-2018 07:15 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
I’ve parked there in the past for a modest amount and left the car there for the day. Not a problem.
10-18-2018 07:25 PM
Touchdown Green and Gold Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
(10-18-2018 07:15 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  What do you think the parking situation will be? Can we park at the Kap for this event?

You can park at Kap. Lot opens at 8am and is $10.
10-18-2018 07:36 PM
Advertisement

Touchdown Green and Gold Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
(10-18-2018 07:04 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I'm thinking that this will be the highlight of the weekend for me. BTW, what time would the FB team probably leave for the walk to Zable?

Football team walks at noon on Saturday.
10-18-2018 07:36 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
I’m looking forward to reports out of the open scrimmage today. Sorry I can’t be in Williamsburg this weekend. Happy Homecomig everyone.
10-20-2018 07:50 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

My scrimmage thoughts and observations:

- The athleticism of this team is pretty impressive. Most I can recall. Which leads to...
- The perimeter depth is impressive. Sure some guys score better than others, but I didn't detect a horrible drop off in ball movement or defense when guys rotated in.
- The focus on intensity and defense was pretty obvious. Even when working the offense guys were expected to defend aggressively.
- Rowley played alot in the post. He probably isn't going to be confused for a big man, but he looked OK.
- The lack of interior depth was pretty glaring when they broke down for perimeter/post drills. Harvey vs Knight.
- I was looking forward to seeing Van Vliet in action. He was a preventative medical hold out.
- Nathan Knight is a beast. There is no one on the roster that can handle him.
- I like Harvey. I was told that he has put on 30lbs since arrival. He will be solid off the bench. He had some nice moments though Knight had a way of making him look ineffective.
- Having the dedicated strength coach for basketball has and will continue to pay massive dividends. I expect less injuries and higher conditioning.
- Pierce was a full participant. He looks to be still shaking off the rust.
- I think both Jihar and Luke look more comfortable. Luke isn't David, but I think he will do just fine.
- I think each freshman looked like they fit in and competed.
- Like I was hoping, they played some zone with Audige at the top. He is aggressive and shoots the passing lanes well.
- I like Thornton Scott at the point. Very poised for a freshman point guard. Very good ball handler, passer, and knocked down open shots. Played good D on Loewe. We shall see how he does against the quicker guards in CAA play.
- The team put on a good display for alums and recruits. Each and all were friendly and the practice truly gave off a family atmosphere.

I'll add more if I think of it.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2018 08:17 PM by mrjoolius.)
10-20-2018 06:41 PM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Thought I would throw in my uninformed two cents:

1) Loewe is clearly the point. When he is on the court, his team is getting him the ball right away and letting him lead.
2) Scott looks like a very good freshman PG and i suspect he will rotate in as the backup to Loewe. As an added bonus, I suspect he will be an additional defensive rebounder for us when playing.
3) Audige's physicality dominates the floor. He looks like the starter in Burchfield's old spot. His playing time might get limited by fouls and he won't be a knock-down shooter but we've never had a specimen like him.
4) Milon had an up-an-down practice. It looks like he tried to do more than simply spot-up shoot and struggled with that. He is still a critical piece since we lost Burchfield; we need someone to consistently nail the 3.
5) Pierce had a streak where he couldn't miss a shot; his wrist is still taped but he looked good to me.
6)C Knight was Knight. In the scrimmage portion, he totally dominated Harvey.
7) Owens looks good and Williams looks improved. I'm not sure where they fit in the rotation but I suspect they will got their time.
8) I've never been a big Rowley fan but he looked more physical than he has in the past. I am excited about Harvey but maybe Rowley will be the backup in the post.
9) Harvey looks very talented and if we can keep him for 4 years, it will be a fun ride. He is very young and raw. His wing span is most apparent when he reaches for the rim - he is already there. The whole team seems to be trying to help him along but his lack of upper body strength is going to be a major issue against Cacock, Brantley or any CAA big with size. I would love to see him get that traditional sub in for Knight right before the first media timeout but I don't know if he is ready.
10) Blair looks fundamentally sound. He may be a more typical W&M freshman, meaning it may take him a year or two to get into the rotation.
11) I'm not sure Clark has the size to help a lot inside. Of all the walk-ons, I was most impressed with Washburn. I realize he plays guard, a position of which we suddenly seem to have a surfeit, but he has decent size and seemingly a good outside shot. As the only freshman walk-on, he has the most time to develop.

Overall, a significantly more athletic team and almost by default a better defensive one. Scoring will be less consistent because the outside shooting won't be as lights out but we have definite potential there.

There has been some very good commentary on this board regarding chemistry and I agree that it is key. If Loewe and Scott can create good distribution (and Pierce and Knight let the game come to them), I think we can have a very enjoyable year. If we revert to the chemistry of the Prewitt/Dixon year (where I thought they tried to do too mucy), it'll be more frustrating.
10-20-2018 10:37 PM
Tribester Offline
Banned

I Root For: W&M
Chase almost finished an insane dunk during the practice. Level of athleticism off the chart with these guys
10-21-2018 01:00 AM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

All great posts. Based only off of what I read here, my three takeaways are 1) Nate is still a beast and we are in trouble if he is injured or in foul trouble 2) Chase is an athletic defender and 3) We should expect something closer to 72-68 games vice 88-83.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
10-21-2018 10:16 AM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WillaMary
Scrimmage against UMBC today.
10-21-2018 12:52 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(10-21-2018 10:16 AM)Tribal Wrote:  All great posts. Based only off of what I read here, my three takeaways are 1) Nate is still a beast and we are in trouble if he is injured or in foul trouble 2) Chase is an athletic defender and 3) We should expect something closer to 72-68 games vice 88-83.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not sure about 3, but the other two are correct.
10-21-2018 01:49 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

I agree with other posters here: Audige was the revelation of the scrimmage. He should be the starter at 2 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him marking the opponents' best guard every game. LJ Owens looked really good too, but more as a scorer. I think Luke is definitely the starter at point, but I think that's still our weak point. Thornton Scott looked a lot further along as a freshman than Luke did last year. Luke and Jihar will have to work hard to stay ahead of this class. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the freshmen guards ended up ahead of the sophomores on the depth chart; maybe not this year, but with good development that could happen next year. Quinn, LJ, and Thornton looked pretty steady and potentially ready to help right away, but Chase looked like a star. Mekhel looked like he needs some more development before he catches up to college speed, but there's real talent there. The upperclassmen were helping the freshmen out frequently, helping them figure out our offensive and defensive sets in between plays. The team definitely looked like they were having fun out there.
10-21-2018 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.