Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First team to fire Head Coach mid-season is...
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
If you picked Frieda Falcon in your pool, you won!

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...ling-green

Pelini named interim.

Bowling Green had been to 3 straight MAC title games (winning 2) under Clawson/Babers before Jinks. Still the only G5 school to host Gameday in a matchup of 2 Top 25 G5’s.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 03:08 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
10-14-2018 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
RE: First team to fire Head Coach mid-season is...
Aw man, you got my hopes up.
10-14-2018 03:58 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Was a weird hire to begin with. An assistant head coach from Texas Tech under Kingsbury with zero ties to the midwest (let alone the MAC)? Not exactly a home run.
10-14-2018 06:36 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
It was a poor hire no doubt.

I don't know exactly what BG is thinking owing 1 million on this guys contract. They may have had some unexpected success with Babers but it wasn't realistic to sustain it.

Other MAC programs are catching up in facilities which has been BG's traditional edge.
10-14-2018 08:55 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(10-14-2018 08:55 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  It was a poor hire no doubt.

I don't know exactly what BG is thinking owing 1 million on this guys contract. They may have had some unexpected success with Babers but it wasn't realistic to sustain it.

Other MAC programs are catching up in facilities which has been BG's traditional edge.

What facilities? Majority of the MAC has passed them by, and don’t play in glorified high school football stadiums.
10-14-2018 09:00 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-14-2018 09:00 PM)utpotts Wrote:  
(10-14-2018 08:55 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  It was a poor hire no doubt.

What facilities? Majority of the MAC has passed them by, and don’t play in glorified high school football stadiums.

I'm thinking IPF and the football ops center with Sebo. Both of which they've had for a long time.

Take Miami for example. They neglected facilities for a long time and now they have all of that or Buffalo who has an IPF under construction. Toledo has put up some new facilities in recent years as well.

Go back to the 80's and BG's limited academics was less of a negative then today with all the improvements schools around them have made. Relatively they have really slid.
10-14-2018 09:27 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
The MAC is a coaching-driven conference and has been that way for a long time. Get a good staff in place and you can maintain success like Toledo, turn around a loser like EMU, or even briefly reach national prominence like WMU. Get a bad one and you can send a good program down the drain like BG here or make a bad program worse like Akron before Bowden. Facilities help, but it's not like Miami's P5-caliber IPF and football complex have suddenly shot us to instant domination.
10-14-2018 09:44 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-14-2018 09:44 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  The MAC is a coaching-driven conference and has been that way for a long time. Get a good staff in place and you can maintain success like Toledo, turn around a loser like EMU, or even briefly reach national prominence like WMU. Get a bad one and you can send a good program down the drain like BG here or make a bad program worse like Akron before Bowden. Facilities help, but it's not like Miami's P5-caliber IPF and football complex have suddenly shot us to instant domination.

So BG thinks they can have what EMU has with Creighton or Buffalo with Leopold?

I guess. I don't see it worth a 1 million dollar buyout. The next coach will probably fail too. Its a weak school.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 09:49 PM by Kittonhead.)
10-14-2018 09:47 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(10-14-2018 08:55 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  They may have had some unexpected success with Babers but it wasn't realistic to sustain it.

Dino Babers' predecessor, Dave Clawson, also won a MAC title. Bowling Green has traditionally been one of the stronger programs in the MAC. Gregg Brandon had a lot of competitive teams. Urban Meyer did well. Gary Blackney won a couple of titles. Etc.

(10-14-2018 09:47 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The next coach will probably fail too. Its a weak school.

Not as nearly as weak as this analysis.

Bowling Green is only three years removed from its last MAC title. Ohio, in contrast, hasn't won a title since 1968.

The football team stinks right now, but the Falcons are rarely down for very long.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 10:04 PM by Schadenfreude.)
10-14-2018 10:03 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-14-2018 10:03 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(10-14-2018 08:55 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  They may have had some unexpected success with Babers but it wasn't realistic to sustain it.

Dino Babers' predecessor, Dave Clawson, also won a MAC title. Bowling Green has traditionally been one of the stronger programs in the MAC. Gregg Brandon had a lot of competitive teams. Urban Meyer did well. Gary Blackney won a couple of titles. Etc.

(10-14-2018 09:47 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The next coach will probably fail too. Its a weak school.

Not as nearly as weak as this analysis.

Bowling Green is only three years removed from its last MAC title. Ohio, in contrast, hasn't won a title since 1968.

The football team stinks right now, but the Falcons are rarely down for very long.

Ohio didn't have any facilities until the late 90's. They fell behind and the president wanted to drop to FCS.

The school is now caught up in facilities and hasn't had a losing season in a decade despite an inept coaching staff. Ohio has a very strong walk on program and doesn't accept non-qualifiers like BG does and a few other MAC schools.

EMU of course struck gold with Creighton. They've had 10 coaches over the last 30 years and only a couple of them are decent. BG lucked out with Urban Meyer and Dino Babers who were unusually successful. I don't see a third one in the wings which is why blowing 1 million to fire a coach sounds fishy.
10-14-2018 10:25 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(10-14-2018 10:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  BG lucked out with Urban Meyer and Dino Babers who were unusually successful.

I would argue Dave Clawson was more successful than either of them. Clawson rebuilt Bowling Green into a MAC champion. Dino Babers was handed the keys and won another MAC championship with the program Clawson built. (Not as difficult.) And while Urban Meyer won a lot of games right away at Bowling Green, he never won the division.
10-14-2018 10:38 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-14-2018 10:38 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(10-14-2018 10:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  BG lucked out with Urban Meyer and Dino Babers who were unusually successful.

I would argue Dave Clawson was more successful than either of them. Clawson rebuilt Bowling Green into a MAC champion. Dino Babers was handed the keys and won another MAC championship with the program Clawson built. (Not as difficult.) And while Urban Meyer won a lot of games right away at Bowling Green, he never won the division.

Babers has turned around Syracuse with a big upset of Clemson in 2017 and nearly doing it again this year. That is why his name sticks out to me.
10-14-2018 11:02 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

If I take the premise that BG is a sweet G5 job like San Diego St, Houston, Cincinnati, UCF ect that belongs at the 10 win level explain this years recruiting class to me..

https://247sports.com/college/bowling-gr...l/Commits/

National Rank 125/MAC Rank 12

Jordan Anderson
Offers: Ball St, Buffalo, CMU, EMU

Logan Holgorsen
Offers: North Texas

Josh Moore
Offers: N/A

Darren Anders
Offers: Butler, Findlay, Notre Dame College, Robert Morris

Luke Harmon
Offers: N/A

Grant Abbot
Offers: EMU, Morgan St.

-The very top recruit had 4 MAC offers and none had more than 1 FBS offer.

-BG picked up a commit from a player that had low FCS offers and a couple of DII offers. That is pretty sad if the MVC schools weren't on this kid.

-You beat EMU twice head 2 head in recruiting. Congrats.

Maybe the AD wasn't happy about this class and pulled the plug.
10-14-2018 11:17 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:“All it takes is a couple kids, and all it takes is the belief,” Jinks said then. “I think we’ve got the right guys in places from a coaching standpoint and I think we’ve got the talent coming as well. There’s no doubt in my mind we can get this thing done here.”

However, Jinks will not be given a chance to finish this season.

The Falcons’ hiring of Jinks was a puzzling one from the outset, even in many coaching circles. Jinks was a successful Texas high school coach who made the move to college as an assistant at Texas Tech. Jinks was the running backs coach for three seasons at Texas Tech, and BG hired him despite the fact he never had been to Ohio before accepting the job.

Jinks’ two full recruiting classes were ranked in the top three of the Mid-American Conference, according to 247Sports.com’s composite rankings, but attrition was a major issue, and during the offseason, five different Falcons players were arrested. On the field, BG had one winning streak in the three seasons Jinks was in charge. BG won its final three games of 2016 to finish that year 4-8, but won just three more times in the next 19 games.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/BGSU/...0181014152

Jinks loaded up on non-qualifiers and got burned on it.

07-coffee3
10-14-2018 11:40 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-30-2018 09:53 PM)kittonhead Wrote:  Maybe the AD wasn't happy about this class and pulled the plug.

Mike Jinks's two previous classes were actually quite strong, at least on paper -- better than most in the MAC according to 24/7. His problem trying to assemble this latest class was that everyone could see the program was not turning a corner. It was becoming obvious to all that Jinks wasn't going to be around much longer. Not many players want to sign up for that kind of situation.

The fact that Jinks got sacked is not a surprise to Falcon fans. Jinks took a MAC championship program and produced the worst three-year stretch in the entire history of Bowling Green football. The only real debate among Falcon fans was whether he would be sacked at the end of the season or sooner. Yes, this cost money that would have been nice for something else. But what choice did we have, really? The current situation was completely unacceptable.

Mike Jinks seems to be a stand up guy. I hope he lands on his feet. Maybe a program in Texas will need an assistant. But this just wasn't working. Our expectations are a lot higher than this.
10-15-2018 08:17 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(10-14-2018 10:03 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  Bowling Green is only three years removed from its last MAC title. Ohio, in contrast, hasn't won a title since 1968.

YES!!!, tell 'em Schadenfreude! - Ohio U can never get it done. Always falls short. always.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018 08:57 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
10-15-2018 08:57 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
3242 days and counting since they beat their rival Toledo in football probably has a lot to do with it too

Not that us Toledo fans are counting or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2018 09:41 AM by indianasniff.)
10-15-2018 09:38 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
You gotta have a QB. That's makes the whole team (and the coach) look way better. Biggest difference lately is that Matt Johnson graduated at QB.
10-15-2018 04:19 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(10-14-2018 06:36 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Was a weird hire to begin with. An assistant head coach from Texas Tech under Kingsbury with zero ties to the midwest (let alone the MAC)? Not exactly a home run.

Jinks is highly thought of among Texas high schools. He made Cibolo Steele a football power before he took the RB's coaching position at Texas Tech. Not sure why he decided to go to BG when he could've waited for a job closer to home.
10-15-2018 04:28 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
If true.....wow. Just wow.

10-16-2018 03:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.