Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kudos to Marcus Childers
Bookmark and Share
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Kudos to Marcus Childers
Hats off to Childers yesterday. Not sure if he had been hurt earlier this year or what, but yesterday he looked 100 times quicker and more confident than he has this entire year. He also was dropping some dimes in the passing game on the deeper balls, we just had a bunch of drops unfortunately. The deep ball he threw to Wesley (that was dropped) might be the best ball I’ve ever seen him throw.

I’ve been tough on Childers this year, but absolutely will give credit when it’s due. Hopefully he’s turned the corner and can keep this up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
10-14-2018 06:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
RE: Kudos to Marcus Childers
A tentative athlete is a non athlete. It’s huge if his confidence is growing. He had a good game and showed improvement on deep throws as well although he’s lucky two balls weren’t picked.
10-14-2018 07:10 AM
JB04 Offline
1st String

(10-14-2018 07:10 AM)Max Power Wrote:  A tentative athlete is a non athlete. It’s huge if his confidence is growing. He had a good game and showed improvement on deep throws as well although he’s lucky two balls weren’t picked.

I think yesterday could have been a look at his top game performance. It was respectable but it’s never going to be Harnish/Lynch...and that’s fine with a solid D. There was a 3rd and long and he ran doing this TLL impersonation scissors kick ending up 4 yards short where I thought to my self “Lynch easily small juked that to the inside then tucks his head down and easily picks up the first down”...as I saw Lynch do 50 times. Nothing against Childers but just a reality. But Lynch was also once in a lifetime special
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2018 07:40 AM by JB04.)
10-14-2018 07:38 AM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I have posted many negative comments about Childers but he had a very good game yesterday against a weak defense.. As NIU32 said he threw some accurate long balls that were dropped by his receivers. Had those been completed it would have been a dominate performance. Another thing we learned yesterday is that he performs well under pressure and has a strong will to win. For the first time in two years I am now hopeful that he can grow into the starting QB role. Let's see how the future unfolds, it will be interesting and hopefully fun to watch.
10-14-2018 07:49 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Childers looked better yesterday than he has looked all year.

But, keep in mind that Ohio is the mirror image of the Huskies - all offense and no defense. Before yesterday, Bobcats had given up 35 points per game. The Huskies are the first team that Ohio held to just 24 points. Good thing NIU is the first team to keep Ohio from scoring more than 21.
10-14-2018 08:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(10-14-2018 07:49 AM)bikechuck Wrote:  I have posted many negative comments about Childers but he had a very good game yesterday against a weak defense.. As NIU32 said he threw some accurate long balls that were dropped by his receivers. Had those been completed it would have been a dominate performance. Another thing we learned yesterday is that he performs well under pressure and has a strong will to win. For the first time in two years I am now hopeful that he can grow into the starting QB role. Let's see how the future unfolds, it will be interesting and hopefully fun to watch.
" I am now hopeful that he can grow into the starting QB role."

That is exactly this year's plan. This is huge for the team and program to have a QB who can make most of the throws and win. 4-0 in the MAC and clutch down the stretch. Picked up huge first downs to get to victory formation.

Can you imagine this board if we failed on that 3rd and short and gave the ball back to Ohio late?

That would mean two more years of stability plus most of the D coming back next year too! That would allow time for a backup to grow to the point where he could be productive if inserted into the game in an emergency. Other than Graham the QBs have 0 starting experience.

Yeah we should be hopeful as fans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
10-14-2018 08:19 AM
Advertisement

Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

Childers looked much quicker as someone pointed out. He was a true threat running and will now have the focus of the defense more. He also hit two deep balls. That’s two huge pluses going forward.

He is still very inconsistent and often a tad late with his read. But it’s the first game I have seen a measurable improvement from him. Good game Marcus!

Sutton Smith....you are the man dude. Unreal.
10-14-2018 08:22 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

Another positive from yesterday was Pugh. Looked like his old self.
10-14-2018 08:28 AM
murph83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
At the start of the year, when Childers ran he looked as if he had a piano on his back. Those early opponents were better and quicker than the one's we're playing now. That said, Childers is faster and more successful. Playing again BYU will be interesting.
10-14-2018 08:39 AM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(10-14-2018 08:10 AM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  Childers looked better yesterday than he has looked all year.

But, keep in mind that Ohio is the mirror image of the Huskies - all offense and no defense. Before yesterday, Bobcats had given up 35 points per game. The Huskies are the first team that Ohio held to just 24 points. Good thing NIU is the first team to keep Ohio from scoring more than 21.
True, it was strength against strength and weakness vs. weakness. Logically you could predict a close game.

But the key part is the NIU offense moved down the field for a TD when it absolutely needed 1. And the NIU defense stopped Ohio when it was needed. NIU keeps winning those battles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
10-14-2018 09:08 AM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(10-14-2018 07:10 AM)Max Power Wrote:  A tentative athlete is a non athlete. It’s huge if his confidence is growing. He had a good game and showed improvement on deep throws as well although he’s lucky two balls weren’t picked.

+1 definitely showed some poise and confidence.
10-14-2018 10:10 AM
Advertisement

JoeNovak Offline
1st String

Childers has had ZERO help from his WR’s. Anytime there is a contested ball you can guarantee the NIU receiver will not come down with it. So many drops.....it’s unfortunate because Childers played a heck of a game
10-14-2018 10:13 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Good game from Childers, congrats to him.

4-3, undefeated so far in conference, in control of the Mac West. Not too shabby for a season some had written off already.

A win at BYU will add a little sexy to our record, fingers crossed.
10-14-2018 10:36 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Childers has some gamer in him. Utah game aside, it seems like he plays better in situations where he absolutely has to.
10-14-2018 11:06 AM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

I thought Childers made much quicker and decisive decisions on the run options, which really helped. I still thought he looked slow on pass progressions and deciding to scramble.

Also, just off memory, I thought there were 4 or so throws of anywhere from 15 - 30 yards that he put as very catch-able balls to WR's, and they were all dropped/not brought in. They weren't Drew Brees throws, but goodness help him out WR's.

After 1981's commentary last week, I watched more of the pressure, and sure enough, it seemed the biggest issue Childers had on pressure was when it came up the middle, rarely do they give the line/him trouble when it's from the outside.

Ohio made the decision they were going to stop the RB's in this game, they did, but Childers did enough to win it. He's still not a conistently good QB at this point, but we are seeing progression.
10-14-2018 11:19 AM
142niu Offline
Special Teams

Marcus had his best game. He threw some good balls yesterday. Obviously, he made some great decisions and used his legs to make some big plays. He is trending along with the O.

If this team can play a complete 4 quarters, nobody beats them from here on out.
10-14-2018 11:48 AM
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

Childers ran the ball much better against Ohio, but he still can’t throw the ball very well. For every good throw he had, he had an equally bad throw. He sailed the ball over open receivers heads a few times, and he would throw behind or at receivers instead of in stride. Yes, drops are also a problem.

He deserves credit for bringing the Huskies back, but he still needs to get better quickly.
10-14-2018 12:22 PM
NIUTrekker Offline
2nd String

(10-14-2018 12:22 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  Childers ran the ball much better against Ohio, but he still can’t throw the ball very well. For every good throw he had, he had an equally bad throw. He sailed the ball over open receivers heads a few times, and he would throw behind or at receivers instead of in stride. Yes, drops are also a problem.

He deserves credit for bringing the Huskies back, but he still needs to get better quickly.
I think his completion percentage would've been much higher if the receivers had done a better job.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
10-14-2018 07:20 PM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
Outside of Tucker it seems none of the receivers are sure things when it comes to catching the ball. I'll grant them that some of the throws aren't the best but have to make them when given the opportunity.
10-14-2018 07:22 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(10-14-2018 10:13 AM)JoeNovak Wrote:  Childers has had ZERO help from his WR’s. Anytime there is a contested ball you can guarantee the NIU receiver will not come down with it. So many drops.....it’s unfortunate because Childers played a heck of a game

Totally disagree because there were a couple throws that should have been picks but our wr’s broke them up. One for sure in the end zone was broken up by Wesley. He also had one again that he threw directly to the defense and luckily it was dropped. Similar to Utah and Ball st but we lucked out. So there are improvements to be made.

With that said he looked a lot better. Deep passes were on the money. He read his options great and kept when he was supposed to. Great decisions on those plays. Overall good game. Great if you consider his running totals only but there are improvements on passing.
10-14-2018 07:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.