Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mass exodus of California schools from NCAA?
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Mass exodus of California schools from NCAA?
10-09-2018 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: Mass exodus of California schools from NCAA?
Is this regarding some of the the schools boycotting eastern teams?
10-09-2018 11:56 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
The judge is right. I suspect the NCAA's show cause penalty is illegal in pretty much every state, not just California.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/...story.html
Quote:Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Frederick Shaller issued a final decision Tuesday finding the “show-cause” penalty the NCAA issued against former USC assistant football coach Todd McNair violated state law.

Shaller’s eight-page decision voided the show-cause provision of NCAA bylaws because it constituted an “unlawful restraint” on McNair’s pursuing a lawful profession.

“McNair’s ability to practice his profession as a college football coach has been restricted, if not preempted, not only in Los Angeles, but in every state in the country,” Shaller wrote.

The show cause penalty amounts to a conspiracy among NCAA members to not hire McNair (or anyone else who receives that penalty).
10-10-2018 02:05 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-10-2018 02:05 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The judge is right. I suspect the NCAA's show cause penalty is illegal in pretty much every state, not just California.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/...story.html
Quote:Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Frederick Shaller issued a final decision Tuesday finding the “show-cause” penalty the NCAA issued against former USC assistant football coach Todd McNair violated state law.

Shaller’s eight-page decision voided the show-cause provision of NCAA bylaws because it constituted an “unlawful restraint” on McNair’s pursuing a lawful profession.

“McNair’s ability to practice his profession as a college football coach has been restricted, if not preempted, not only in Los Angeles, but in every state in the country,” Shaller wrote.

The show cause penalty amounts to a conspiracy among NCAA members to not hire McNair (or anyone else who receives that penalty).

How many other states have had a coach subjected to a show cause order? Have any of those coaches challenged the legality of this in court yet?

If this were to ever find its way into the Supreme Court, I suspect you are right that this bylaw could be deemed unconstitutional nationally. The NCAA might be smart not to fight it rather than risk getting shot down.
10-10-2018 07:53 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
The NCAA doing something illegal and monopolistic????
04-jawdrop
10-10-2018 07:55 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
California already has a separate JuCo association that does not compete with the NJCAA. I wonder if this, plus the state's law that public funds can not be used to take public employees to certain states might make some public California schools too much hassle for conferences.
10-10-2018 08:04 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It’s a poor decision.
10-10-2018 08:13 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(10-09-2018 09:49 PM)Rube Dali Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...fornia-law

a report that concluded McNair "knew or should have known" that Bush was engaged in violations with a would-be agent while playing for USC, and McNair "provided false and misleading information to the enforcement staff."

A show-cause order requires an NCAA member institution to demonstrate to the COI why it should not be subject to a penalty for "not taking appropriate disciplinary or corrective action" against a staff member found to have committed an NCAA violation.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Willful Ignorance isn't an excuse in a legal court, why should it be when dealing with the NCAA? If this coach KNEW of the violations and did nothing, that would be a violation. If he should have KNOWN but pulled a "fingers in the ears and hum" routine, that's just as bad.

I don't see how giving the school the opportunity to convince the NCAA NOT to penalize them for a violation would violate the law.
10-10-2018 08:28 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-10-2018 08:28 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(10-09-2018 09:49 PM)Rube Dali Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...fornia-law

a report that concluded McNair "knew or should have known" that Bush was engaged in violations with a would-be agent while playing for USC, and McNair "provided false and misleading information to the enforcement staff."

A show-cause order requires an NCAA member institution to demonstrate to the COI why it should not be subject to a penalty for "not taking appropriate disciplinary or corrective action" against a staff member found to have committed an NCAA violation.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Willful Ignorance isn't an excuse in a legal court, why should it be when dealing with the NCAA? If this coach KNEW of the violations and did nothing, that would be a violation. If he should have KNOWN but pulled a "fingers in the ears and hum" routine, that's just as bad.

I don't see how giving the school the opportunity to convince the NCAA NOT to penalize them for a violation would violate the law.

There are a few issues here.

The first issue is whether this is a violation of law in the first place. NCAA regulations regarding agents are NOT the law. They’re internal policies and rules that the NCAA has enacted that apply to its members. It’s no different than when, say, the National Association of Realtors has an internal rule about when and where real estate agents can solicit customers. Those are all private association rules as opposed to actual laws. A court won’t enforce internal rules that may very well be illegal themselves.

The second issue is that it wouldn’t even necessarily matter if there’s a violation of law. The antitrust problem is that you can’t have a group of entities *collectively* bar someone from employment for whatever reason (even violations of law). That’s a classic illegal collusion case. If all of the members of the NCAA *individually* happen to come to the same conclusion that they don’t want to hire people that have violated NCAA rules, then that’s fine. However, what’s happening now is that the NCAA itself is making the restriction and applying to all of its members, which is where it turns into a collusion issue. Individual schools don’t have the ability to make their own individual hiring choices on that front, which is a significant antitrust problem.

The third issue is that restrictions on hiring people are already very tough to enforce in the State of California specifically. This was a perfect set of circumstances for the NCAA to be challenged.

I’ve long stated that the NCAA is a walking antitrust violation and this is merely another example of that being the case.
10-10-2018 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
From the article:

"If California law prevents institutions in that state from honoring such commitments, it is hard to see how the Pac-12's Member Universities in California could continue to meet the requirements of NCAA membership," Scott wrote. "Thus, the Court's tentative ruling would place at risk the competitive and scholarship opportunities that flow from NCAA participation for the Pac-12's California Member Universities."

This statement is classic California. A powerful entity (the Pac-12) is not arguing that the law is on their side; instead they're arguing that they need this to be legal in order to maintain their power. Disgusting that they would even put this into their brief.
10-10-2018 12:07 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(10-10-2018 11:16 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  However, what’s happening now is that the NCAA itself is making the restriction and applying to all of its members, which is where it turns into a collusion issue. Individual schools don’t have the ability to make their own individual hiring choices on that front, which is a significant antitrust problem.

The NCAA does not restrict schools from hiring a penalized coach. It's not like there's a policy in place that says you can't hire them. You just run the risk of facing penalties if you do. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2018 12:19 PM by McKinney.)
10-10-2018 12:17 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
with the basketball hoops scandal, and the coaches involved? You wonder why NCAA have not pointed out the legal problems with coaches and all that are involved? As many employees, if you were fired from your job for just caused that is drastic? You will not be hired by the same company in another town or state. This guy made his consequences for violating the rules. The NCAA is the employer in this case, and the guy broke the rules which he should have this leveled at him. The court is wrong, and California laws do not protect people who were willing to broke the rules of the said company.
10-10-2018 02:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-10-2018 02:50 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  The NCAA is the employer in this case

Wrong
10-10-2018 02:55 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(10-10-2018 02:55 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

Wrong

* The NCAA is the governing body of the employer and prospective employers in this case
10-10-2018 03:05 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-10-2018 12:17 PM)McKinney Wrote:  
(10-10-2018 11:16 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  However, what’s happening now is that the NCAA itself is making the restriction and applying to all of its members, which is where it turns into a collusion issue. Individual schools don’t have the ability to make their own individual hiring choices on that front, which is a significant antitrust problem.

The NCAA does not restrict schools from hiring a penalized coach. It's not like there's a policy in place that says you can't hire them. You just run the risk of facing penalties if you do. 03-wink

That was always my take on it.

It's a black list, though.

But, it's also not like it isn't protective for schools who want to take on staff and can't fully, legally get the inside story on someone. To hire someone and then have another institution snitch on you to the NCAA getting you in trouble for making a "bad hire." Because, while there are ways to get this stuff outside of a resume and listed references, those ways aren't legal or ethical, either.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and, once again, it's a self-made problem that was created to fix another self-made issue. The snitch culture is ridiculous.
10-10-2018 03:56 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Well perhaps USC can return to "national" prominence in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
10-10-2018 08:05 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(10-10-2018 03:05 PM)McKinney Wrote:  

Wrong

* The NCAA is the governing body of the employer and prospective employers in this case
The issue is that the NCAA is not appointed by the actual governing bodies of the employers ... the state governments of the schools ... to exercise their authority. The members of the NCAA have self-selected the NCAA to govern them. If the actions of the NCAA restrict competition, that may easily result in the NCAA acting as an illegal cartel.
10-10-2018 09:49 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-10-2018 09:49 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Wrong

The issue is that the NCAA is not appointed by the actual governing bodies of the employers ... the state governments of the schools ... to exercise their authority. The members of the NCAA have self-selected the NCAA to govern them. If the actions of the NCAA restrict competition, that may easily result in the NCAA acting as an illegal cartel.

He can still get a coaching job, but not at an NCAA school from all levels. He could be hired at: NAIA, NCCAA (who are not an NCAA member), USCAA, NJCAA or other community colleges in California, Canadian Colleges, or other smaller independent schools not associated with any organizations.
10-11-2018 04:22 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-11-2018 04:22 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Wrong

He can still get a coaching job, but not at an NCAA school from all levels. He could be hired at: NAIA, NCCAA (who are not an NCAA member), USCAA, NJCAA or other community colleges in California, Canadian Colleges, or other smaller independent schools not associated with any organizations.

You forgot JV middle school.
10-11-2018 05:36 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(10-11-2018 04:22 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Wrong

If he could document those schools tend to pay significantly less, than the NCAA may not be off the hook.
10-11-2018 05:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.