Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is Nebraska/Northwestern on ABC nationally?
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Why is Nebraska/Northwestern on ABC nationally?
One thing to have a combined 2-8 matchup on ABC regionally or reverse mirror, but a national ABC game?
10-09-2018 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Why is Nebraska/Northwestern on ABC nationally?
It's beyond my comprehension. I started a whole thread dedicated to how the Big Ten schedule makers were idiots and how to better create a tv schedule that spreads value throughout the season.
10-09-2018 09:09 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
When the old Southwest Conference was struggling, one idea that was proposed (but never used) was to have two divisions, and put all the stronger football teams in one division and all the weaker teams in the other, to create as many attractive matchups for TV as possible by making sure the stronger teams all played each other.

Just sayin'...

05-stirthepot
10-10-2018 12:14 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-10-2018 12:14 AM)Wedge Wrote:  When the old Southwest Conference was struggling, one idea that was proposed (but never used) was to have two divisions, and put all the stronger football teams in one division and all the weaker teams in the other, to create as many attractive matchups for TV as possible by making sure the stronger teams all played each other.

Just sayin'...

05-stirthepot

The SWC, R.I.P.!
10-10-2018 12:43 AM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(10-09-2018 08:45 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  One thing to have a combined 2-8 matchup on ABC regionally or reverse mirror, but a national ABC game?

I'm sure when the TV schedule was being decided, ABC looked at the "experts", many of whom were thinking NW would challenge Wisconsin for the west. NW was also just outside the top 25 at the start of the season. Nebraska was all the rave with Frost taking over and expectations were extremely high.

Reality is that NW couldn't get out of their own way the first few weeks and Nebraska is even worse than some feared.

It would be like if the NFL scheduled the Steelers v Falcons for Sunday Night Football. Before the season, you'd think, hey, great game. Now not so much.
10-10-2018 06:55 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Few reasons I think led them to choose:
1. Noon games do not always have the same standard as other time slots. This was always true to an extent, but has become even more true as there are more networks to fill (both ones Disney and FOX own and have various rights too).
2. Look at the lines on the noon games. Only other game really that close to this is Iowa/Indiana.
3. Nebraska is still a major name program. Northwestern is a school that has had exciting games last few weeks. Possibility of seeing Nebraska first win will bring some viewers and odds of a closer game more likely than other games.

All in all, maybe not a huge game, but I don't think a terrible selection for right there. Oddly though I do not think they would have chosen if Nebraska had a win.
10-11-2018 09:00 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
The word is that Nebraska at Ohio State will be moved to 7:30pm on November 3rd
10-11-2018 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.