Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Towson
Bookmark and Share
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
Towson
Towson scores in bunches. Young Flacco will possibly be the best QB we've faced and is being compared to Fran Tarkenton because of his scrambling ability. Cannot start slow and let them jump out to a big early lead. They throttled one of the best rushing teams in SB yesterday. If we're going to emerge, then this will fall on our defense slowing down a high octane offense and Shon, Devonte, Jalen, Jack, Nate and cast having a stellar afternoon with pitch and catch. Hope Nick is back. Maybe a flat Towson shows up Saturday?? Either way, we're going to have to score a lot to stay in this one. A decent turnout by our Baltimore/DC alums will equal Towson's poor attendance numbers.

Johnston was used for the extra point on the next to last TD yesterday, so, maybe he'll get his chance on FG's this weekend. We can't leave any points on the table in this one. Hope springs eternal. Go Tribe! It's Billymac's birthday again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018 03:18 PM by Tribeheart.)
10-07-2018 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

RE: Towson
I am really happy that DeVonte is having the year he is having. He’s a special athlete deserving of all his accolades. I hope we continue to feed him the ball. Good things when when he touches the ball. He was lucky enough to get an additional year, I want to see him and the other seniors enjoy success.

Coming in this class saw Caskin, Stephens, Dykes and Dedmon play immediately. Dedmon, along with Kinder, Smith, Dulaney, Norris and Armstrong stuck it out. Three came in on scholarship, three as walk ons. Many others couldn’t make it, they did.

It’s not easy being a college athlete, at WM it’s arguably harder than most schools.

This week’s win was huge for them, I hope this team has a few more wins, they deserve it.
10-07-2018 07:57 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Towson
Key will be our O line ability to protect the QB and get push for the RBs. That’s been a real concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-07-2018 11:44 PM
Tribal Offline

Towson
We are currently 8th in the CAA. UR, very sadly, is getting its back dirty at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
10-08-2018 09:21 AM
TheRealTribe Offline
Special Teams

Agree that OL play will be the key on offense. Shon was making good reads/throws when he had the time. There were also many plays he stood in and made the throw while getting hit. Towson is at the bottom of the CAA with us when it comes to defensive stats. Next to us they are last in the conference in run defense, giving up nearly 200 yards a game. This would be a good game to finally get the ground game established.

The key to the whole game will be how our defense plays. This Towson team ranks 10th in FCS in Total Offense, and 16th in Passing Offense and is .8 pts/game behind JMU in terms of Scoring. They put up huge numbers, so getting some stops will be key, as we all know our offense isn't quite there yet in terms of scoring. Towson has scored 44 points or more in 3 straight games If that streak continues, we lose plain and simple. They jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the 1st Q vs Stony Brook, something we can't afford to happen. Flacco can scramble and make plays with his feet, in fact he is 6th in Rushing in the conference making him even harder to defend.

This is one of the most potent offenses in FCS. I'm not sure you defend it, but that's why I'm on a message board.

This might be the toughest game left on the schedule, Towson is currently ranked #17/18 in the country and very hot. I just hope we can stay competitive. Another blowout could set the tone for a very discouraging end to the season.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018 01:02 PM by TheRealTribe.)
10-08-2018 01:01 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

Towson is not a huge team. Assuming their defense is quick and active though. Offensive line doesn't seem amazingly big either. Hopefully our lines will more than hold their own.
10-10-2018 01:22 PM
Advertisement

TheRealTribe Offline
Special Teams

I agree. They've only gotten 4 sacks on the season and sit just above us (we are 6th from last) in the FCS for Sacks, so hopefully they don't give our OL too much trouble. We haven't looked extremely athletic on the line though so who knows.

Their O line is decently sized, but we'll probably be more focused on containing Flacco anyways. Flushing him out of the pocket is when he gets dangerous. He throws a very accurate ball so we can't be playing the soft cushion coverage we have seen so far this year that has frustrated many of us on this board.

The play he makes in this highlight video at 1:56 is a defense killer.
Towson - Stony Brook Highlights

They jumped JMU this week in terms of offense and lead the conference averaging 477 yards per game. I'm just hoping we don't get in a hole early. We can get some scores vs these guys, but I doubt we can put up more than 24.
10-10-2018 03:59 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

Looking at our team defensive stats, I can only see them getting better and better, but there are very few bright spots at this point. One is red zone defense but there's just been so many instances of short fields there are a lot of opponent opportunities. Percentage wise we give up less TDs than anyone except Elon when the opponent is in the red zone so that's a positive. I just want to see less of those opportunities. Seems like that's almost the only place we get 3rd down stops.
10-10-2018 05:48 PM
TheRealTribe Offline
Special Teams

Looks like the spread opened at -20 Towson and has since moved to -26.

Sagarin looks to be in that ballpark as well.

Seems fair to me. If the final score is closer to a 2 touchdown difference, we will most likely have played a solid game.
10-11-2018 12:16 PM
jsk928 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
I believe the squad has tuned the corner offensively after the (2) 4th quarter confidence-building drives last week. I expect a much different team this week offensively. Defensively I think our game plan needs to include more stunts and selective blitzing in order to make Flacco uncomfortable.
If we can put some early points on the board, I trust our D will contain them. Prediction: Tribe 24 - Tigers 17
10-12-2018 10:06 AM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(10-12-2018 10:06 AM)jsk928 Wrote:  I believe the squad has tuned the corner offensively after the (2) 4th quarter confidence-building drives last week. I expect a much different team this week offensively. Defensively I think our game plan needs to include more stunts and selective blitzing in order to make Flacco uncomfortable.
If we can put some early points on the board, I trust our D will contain them. Prediction: Tribe 24 - Tigers 17

I like it. Feel like our plans against other mobile qbs have been to contain them in the pocket but that hasn't worked so great. I agree...bring it. From different spots and often. But I'm a fan and if Flacco runs around our pressure all day nobody gets mad at me. : )
10-12-2018 10:21 AM
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

If we go with the 3 man rush and soft zone coverage for more than a change of pace this week, Flacco will pick us apart.
10-12-2018 11:42 AM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(10-12-2018 11:42 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  If we go with the 3 man rush and soft zone coverage for more than a change of pace this week, Flacco will pick us apart.

+1
10-12-2018 01:15 PM
jsk928 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
(10-12-2018 11:42 AM)LeadBolt Wrote:  If we go with the 3 man rush and soft zone coverage for more than a change of pace this week, Flacco will pick us apart.

I'm actually ok with the 3-man front, that's when they take #90 and put him outside to utilize his speed. I think that front, combined with varying pressure from either a blitzing LB, bring someone off the edge (corner), or both is what we need this week-mixing up constant pressure from multiple points to create uncertainty and panic. Match up man, and bet we can get to him before someone gets loose
10-12-2018 01:50 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(10-12-2018 01:50 PM)jsk928 Wrote:  

I'm actually ok with the 3-man front, that's when they take #90 and put him outside to utilize his speed. I think that front, combined with varying pressure from either a blitzing LB, bring someone off the edge (corner), or both is what we need this week-mixing up constant pressure from multiple points to create uncertainty and panic. Match up man, and bet we can get to him before someone gets loose

I didn't mean to imply that I have a problem with a 3 man front, I have a problem with a 3 man rush coupled with a soft zone, over and over predictably.

Using a 3 man front and varying pressure from 0-2 others from differing parts of the field is a good strategy.

I believe that when facing a team like Towson, we need to vary pressure, knocking receivers off stride with both an aggressive man coverage varied with pressing and soft zones, and shadowing Flacco from differing positions as well (primarily LB's and Safety's). We can probably get receivers off stride more than Flacco.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 03:14 PM by LeadBolt.)
10-12-2018 03:13 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
I expect the Tribe will get blown out because of a slow start and falling behind. Our only chance will be to start fast and get the lead. While I was thrilled with the final 7-8 minutes from last week, the offense struggled for much of the game. The offense will have to score more than it has in any game in the last 2 years to win Saturday. So, expectations are low, but hope is eternal. Whatever game plan is required to put up 34 points is what the Tribe will need to execute. Maybe a big running game, 10 passes to Devonte, and a kick return or defensive TD.
10-12-2018 03:19 PM
Advertisement

Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

(10-12-2018 01:50 PM)jsk928 Wrote:  

If memory serves me we basically never get pressure out of that front and tend to give up huge runs against it every game. But maybe if we bring some extra pressure with other guys (LBs etc) it would be better.
10-12-2018 03:28 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Teams play/react very differently when they're behind and/or in a close game, as opposed to in front. Ask JMU regarding Elon.

For sure we can't let Towson return the opening kickoff for a TD for a third week in a row. If Towson comes in flat from their recent successes, and we carry over some of last week's game end momentum and take an early lead, then a surprise may be in the offing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 03:40 PM by Tribeheart.)
10-12-2018 03:39 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I think that this offense had zero confidence all season until Shon threw the first TD last weekend. That lit a spark. Let's not forget that we moved the ball and had two missed FGs before the comeback. So when posters are saying we struggled on offense, we should have had six more points and we did move the ball. I expect a much more potent offense as the season goes on. I don't buy the blowout nor the line. I see a game where we could steal one on the road.
10-12-2018 06:40 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
The offense has been awful. As was previously said, we have a long way to go. In the game I watched, we went backward after a turnover and missed a FG. We did have two other drives that yielded a FG and a missed FG. Then, we played very well in the last 7 minutes. The line has improved some since the start of the season. Shon is also improving. There is just a long way to go. To beat the best offenses, the Tribe is going to have to score a lot which we have not done really at all in the last 3 years. Today could be the day. The Tribe should be prepared to play fast, attack, and get the lead early. No one so far has really shut towson down, so even a great defensive performance might mean close to 30 points. The offense played fast and urgent for the only time this season last week in the 4th quarter. They might need to do it all game today. Elon was a 29 point underdog last week, so a win is possible, but very unlikely. Towson, Elon and JMU are likely better than anyone else.
10-13-2018 07:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.