Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNIFORMS
Bookmark and Share
class2000 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: jmu
UNIFORMS
Are we tired of the focus on uniforms and the lack of identity with JMU unis? Will we ever wear the gold traditional JMU helmet again? or are we focused on being the Oregon of the FCS?
10-06-2018 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheDuke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU
RE: UNIFORMS
(10-06-2018 01:20 PM)class2000 Wrote:  Are we tired of the focus on uniforms and the lack of identity with JMU unis? Will we ever wear the gold traditional JMU helmet again? or are we focused on being the Oregon of the FCS?

I agree, we are going too far with the alternates. It doesnt even look like JMU is playing anymore. It looks like a high school uniform or a knockoff jerseys you would see at Walmart.

Also it doesnt appear to have energized the players at all. If we continue this flat, mistake filled play, can we go ahead and banish the grays?
10-06-2018 02:03 PM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

Already a huge thread on uniforms.
Uniforms look great (my opinion) and got really good national exposure on the ESPN segment today (fact).
Uniforms have nothing to do with how the team plays.
10-06-2018 02:35 PM
class2000 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: jmu
(10-06-2018 02:35 PM)JMUska Wrote:  Already a huge thread on uniforms.
Uniforms look great (my opinion) and got really good national exposure on the ESPN segment today (fact).
Uniforms have nothing to do with how the team plays.
Actually, not a huge thread on uniforms. Huge thread on "uni combo for Saturday" not on Uniforms in general...
10-06-2018 02:48 PM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

Um that’s the thread people have been using to post about uniforms since it was made in December. Threads sometimes evolve to be about more than just the title. We haven’t been posting about one newest conference rumor for 17,271 consecutive days. I don’t really care though; it’s just getting old seeing people continually complaining about the uniforms.
10-06-2018 03:08 PM
bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
That's gotta be one of the best distinction without a difference statement I've ever seen...
10-06-2018 04:49 PM
Advertisement

TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

What a joke. More complaining about f’n uniforms. Wake up, our uniforms aren’t designed for you or any of us. Players love them which means recruits will love them.
10-07-2018 10:39 AM
TheDuke Offline
2nd String

(10-07-2018 10:39 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  What a joke. More complaining about f’n uniforms. Wake up, our uniforms aren’t designed for you or any of us. Players love them which means recruits will love them.

Im sure recruits loved sitting in Bridgeforth yesterday watching #2 JMU play the most mistake filled game ever and get upset by Elon.

Recruit: "They played terrible and lost to a team they should never lose to...but those unis were sick!!!! Where do I sign?????"

Alabama has one helmet that never changes, one decal on that helmet that never changes, one pair of pants with stripes that never changes, and two jerseys, one crimson and one white, with no lettering or stripes that again - never changes. And yet they ALWAYS have the best recruiting classes in the country and whenever you turn on an Alabama game you ALWAYS know that look is Alabama.

I never understand the argument that you have to use crazy uniforms to attract recruits when all the best teams in college football have traditional, iconic uniforms and they still manage to out recruit everyone.

Bottom line: RECRUITS CARE ABOUT WINNING. Drop the uniform gimmicks and win games.
10-07-2018 11:45 AM
JMUSteeler Offline
1st String

A team we should never lose to? Why, because they happen to be named Elon? They are the #9 team in the country, and undefeated against FCS competition. I've never seen so much butt-hurtness over one loss, or over the uniform combo THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME YESTERDAY. Prove otherwise. And don't say anything about the players being distracted by it, I was with several of them last night and nary a one talked about uniforms being the issue.
10-07-2018 11:52 AM
TheDuke Offline
2nd String

(10-07-2018 11:52 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  A team we should never lose to? Why, because they happen to be named Elon? They are the #9 team in the country, and undefeated against FCS competition. I've never seen so much butt-hurtness over one loss, or over the uniform combo THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME YESTERDAY. Prove otherwise. And don't say anything about the players being distracted by it, I was with several of them last night and nary a one talked about uniforms being the issue.

Yes I stand by my comment. And I am not saying we shouldnt have lost because they are called Elon, I am saying if we played a clean game against THAT team, we never would have lost. We should not have lost to that team. Period. I dont care what it says on their helmet.

And maybe youre upset about people being upset by losing, but Im starting to get upset by people who are ok with losing. It sounds to me like youre justifying bad play bc you think Elon is a good team. Could they beat Weber St? SDST? NDST? I dont think so.

And no one is saying the uniforms caused the loss. Thats ridiculous. The mistake filled football caused the loss. But the new uniform every week is a gimmick. Gimmicks never last. Some of us want to wear the school colors and just win games.
10-07-2018 12:24 PM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

(10-07-2018 11:45 AM)TheDuke Wrote:  
(10-07-2018 10:39 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  What a joke. More complaining about f’n uniforms. Wake up, our uniforms aren’t designed for you or any of us. Players love them which means recruits will love them.

Im sure recruits loved sitting in Bridgeforth yesterday watching #2 JMU play the most mistake filled game ever and get upset by Elon.

Recruit: "They played terrible and lost to a team they should never lose to...but those unis were sick!!!! Where do I sign?????"

Alabama has one helmet that never changes, one decal on that helmet that never changes, one pair of pants with stripes that never changes, and two jerseys, one crimson and one white, with no lettering or stripes that again - never changes. And yet they ALWAYS have the best recruiting classes in the country and whenever you turn on an Alabama game you ALWAYS know that look is Alabama.

I never understand the argument that you have to use crazy uniforms to attract recruits when all the best teams in college football have traditional, iconic uniforms and they still manage to out recruit everyone.

Bottom line: RECRUITS CARE ABOUT WINNING. Drop the uniform gimmicks and win games.

You need a reality check. I’m quite pleased with this team’s ability to win games. I also think Coach Houston does an outstanding job keeping the players focused on the task at hand. Even Alabama occasionally loses.
10-07-2018 12:26 PM
Advertisement

TheDuke Offline
2nd String

(10-07-2018 12:26 PM)TXGiant Wrote:  

You need a reality check. I’m quite pleased with this team’s ability to win games. I also think Coach Houston does an outstanding job keeping the players focused on the task at hand. Even Alabama occasionally loses.

I never questioned Houston or his ability to win games. You brought him up. Not me. Im happy we have him and hope he spends his career here. This was about a uniform gimmick.

And of course Alabama loses on occasion. I was using Alabama as an example on how crazy uniforms are not needed for recruiting. But regardless, you cant argue that our team didnt play bad in just about every facet of the game yesterday. You said crazy uniforms are important for the players and the recruits. Im saying the players didnt play like the uniforms were important to them, and recruits care about winning, not uniform gimmicks. I just want to drop these gimmicks.

Then you proceeded to say people shouldnt be upset about playing bad and losing bc Elon is good. Which I find weird. Fans and players should be upset when they lose a game they shouldnt have lost, even if the team we lost to was good. It doesnt mean we want to fire the coach or have unrealistic expectations.
10-07-2018 12:55 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(10-07-2018 12:24 PM)TheDuke Wrote:  
(10-07-2018 11:52 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  A team we should never lose to? Why, because they happen to be named Elon? They are the #9 team in the country, and undefeated against FCS competition. I've never seen so much butt-hurtness over one loss, or over the uniform combo THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME YESTERDAY. Prove otherwise. And don't say anything about the players being distracted by it, I was with several of them last night and nary a one talked about uniforms being the issue.

Yes I stand by my comment. And I am not saying we shouldnt have lost because they are called Elon, I am saying if we played a clean game against THAT team, we never would have lost. We should not have lost to that team. Period. I dont care what it says on their helmet.

And maybe youre upset about people being upset by losing, but Im starting to get upset by people who are ok with losing. It sounds to me like youre justifying bad play bc you think Elon is a good team. Could they beat Weber St? SDST? NDST? I dont think so.

And no one is saying the uniforms caused the loss. Thats ridiculous. The mistake filled football caused the loss. But the new uniform every week is a gimmick. Gimmicks never last. Some of us want to wear the school colors and just win games.
FWIW
Weber St was just upset by NAU, who came into yesterday 2-3.
SDST had to go to OT to beat Indiana St, who is now 2-3
During NDSU's 7 year run, they have 6 MVFC losses, 3 to teams who didn't make the playoffs (YSU, S Dakota, & Indiana St).

Now I agree wholeheartedly with you on the unis.
10-07-2018 02:09 PM
chicagoduke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes
I hope that the equipment staff reads this thread. There is some real wisdom to be had.

To everyone saying that uniforms are for the recruits and the players....you're right. But you don't have to deviate significantly from your school colors or identify to dazzle the recruits. We can do that within our two school colors plus the neutrals (black and white). I think the gray uniforms would look pretty sharp on a team where gray is one of their school colors. It doesn't look good on the Dukes.

We need to get back to basics: only two colors between the Helmet, Jersey, Pants. So, PWP (Purple-White-Purple) , WPP, GPG, PPW, etc are all okay. Just none of this silly Black-Purple-White or Gold-White-Purple. It has too much going on and you just don't see many big-time programs doing it. It looks amateurish.

We also need to make sure that the helmet conveys who we are to the casual fan.....I personally think that means either our JMU logo or our Duke Dog logo. The state outline they did on the Grays is cool, but hard to see on TV, and therefore a bad design for a helmet. The same for the silver crown during the white out game. Lose the number on the side of the helmet. That's an old-school design, and we're about as far from an old school program as it gets.

Finally, I'm totally cool with the all-black or all-white uniforms...but only once per season each at home. As long as they sprinkle in some Purple it works.
10-07-2018 04:55 PM
GaryMatthews Offline
2nd String

(10-07-2018 04:55 PM)chicagoduke Wrote:  I hope that the equipment staff reads this thread. There is some real wisdom to be had.

No.
10-07-2018 05:10 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I'll repeat what I said in another thread. Someone who makes uniform decisions needs to take into consideration what a uniform will look like from up in the stadium seats. What looks good from 3 feet away doesn't necessarily translate to good from the collar, upper deck or even the lower bowl. In the case of the gray unis you couldn't even see the logos on the helmets much less figure out what they were. Watching the Vikings and Eagles right now there is good contrast . You can easily see that the Vikings helmet has horns and the Eagles has wings. Same with the numbers on the jerseys.

I don't care so much about the new uniforms as a recruiting/hype tool. It's fun to introduce something new. But, at least make them so we can tell what they are. I had a friend who watched the Richmond game last week on t.v. and he asked me what was on our helmets. He couldn't even tell on t.v. We can do better,
10-07-2018 05:24 PM
Advertisement

ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

I actually liked the gray uniforms but from Section 210 it was almost impossible to read the uniform numbers. Had a hell of a time figuring out who was who. The lack of names on the back was also a problem but as with the numbers I wonder if we would have been able to see them also.

Time to stop playing musical chairs with the unis.

Brian
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018 06:38 PM by ParentofJMUMRDs.)
10-07-2018 05:36 PM
JacksonHall Offline
1st String

Bravo sir. Excellent example. No joke. The focus (and expense)on uniforms is stupid. If I were a major donor I'd want to see some accountability regarding those expenses.
10-07-2018 05:54 PM
#YEEHAWDUKES Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(10-07-2018 05:54 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  

Bravo sir. Excellent example. No joke. The focus (and expense)on uniforms is stupid. If I were a major donor I'd want to see some accountability regarding those expenses.

Major donors pay for those unis so I’m guessing they have a little say in approval of the design
10-07-2018 06:01 PM
JacksonHall Offline
1st String

(10-07-2018 06:01 PM)#YEEHAWDUKES Wrote:  
(10-07-2018 05:54 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  

Major donors pay for those unis so I’m guessing they have a little say in approval of the design

Do they? There are budgeted expenses and then those that are extras funded by donors.
10-07-2018 06:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.