Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Help please, only a question of minor import.
bcat4311 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincy
Help please, only a question of minor import.
I would like to ask a question concerning the use of then and than on this board.
This is not a critical question but simply something that confuses me.

I have been lurking here for several years but only posting for a few months. I am not an extremest on the language but would like to ask why then and than are used incorrectly so often here.

My friend, I hesitate to call her "girl friend' because of our age. Suggested to me that when she was growing up in Florida then and than were used as if they were one word.

I am sure that I make grammatical errors almost every day and am not looking to be critical. But if anyone has an answer for this please enlighten me.

Perhaps these are new usages and have simply passed me by. Historically one is for comparison and the other is for the passage of time.

Thanks for your answer and again I am not being critical only inquisitive.

About 4 years ago I was in Charleston, SC and at a lunched someone said "might could" I had never heard that before. I liked it so much I began using it and do so almost every day. So even a relatively old dog can learn the occasional new trick.
10-06-2018 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
RE: Help please, only a question of minor import.
(10-06-2018 08:29 AM)bcat4311 Wrote:  I would like to ask a question concerning the use of then and than on this board.

I have been lurking here for several years but only posting for a few months. I am not an extremest on the language but would like to ask why then and than are used incorrectly so often here.

My friend, I hesitate to call her "girl friend' because of our age. Suggested to me that when she was growing up in Florida then and than were used as if they were one word.

I am sure that I make grammatical errors almost every day and am not looking to be critical. But if anyone has an answer for this please enlighten me.

Perhaps these are new usages and have simply passed me by. Historically one is for comparison and the other is for the passage of time.

About 4 years ago I was in Charleston, SC and at a lunched someone said "might could" I had never heard that before. I liked it so much I began using it and do so almost every day. So even a relatively old dog can learn the occasional new trick.

Rule number one for grammer police posts: your post must be grammatically perfect or you look foolish. That’s what happens when you’re an extremest.
10-06-2018 08:44 AM
bcat4311 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-06-2018 08:44 AM)vick mike Wrote:  
(10-06-2018 08:29 AM)bcat4311 Wrote:  I would like to ask a question concerning the use of then and than on this board.

Rule number one for grammer police posts: your post must be grammatically perfect or you look foolish. That’s what happens when you’re an extremest.
10-06-2018 08:50 AM
Advertisement

bcat4311 Offline
Water Engineer

Thanks for your opinion. But what is the answer? By the way as a former English Lit and History teacher I do not object to the term grammar police but that was not the object of the post.

In your reply you spelled grammar as grammer. It is spelled with an a.
10-06-2018 08:59 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
Perhaps "than" is something the kids are doing these days?

Example: Hey man, know where I can score some than?
10-06-2018 09:03 AM
Advertisement

8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
I'll get back to you right quick on this...
10-06-2018 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(10-06-2018 08:59 AM)bcat4311 Wrote:  Thanks for your opinion. But what is the answer? By the way as a former English Lit and History teacher I do not object to the term grammar police but that was not the object of the post.

In your reply you spelled grammar as grammer. It is spelled with an a.

But see I’m not the one chastising folks for obscure grammer rules on a web site. I’m allowed mistakes. You on the other hand cannot afford mistakes if you come in with a better than you attitude.
10-06-2018 09:46 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

Their our bigger problems then that around hear.
10-06-2018 09:53 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I do see a lot of people spell Wake Forest 'Wake Forrest' thought.
10-06-2018 09:54 AM
Advertisement

Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
These are simple minded folks who'd, poke holes in their eyelids rather than read your posts. On the other hand should you continue to post, Perhaps they'll poke enough holes in those eyelids that they'll then half to read your posts.

That's all I have to say on that subject. Buh-bye.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2018 09:58 AM by Mestophalies.)
10-06-2018 09:57 AM
Agust Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
I'm definitely guilty of not using correct grammar so allow me to give my take.

There may be a few reasons and one is definitely laziness. Another one is I often forget which is which and what goes where and just don't bother to look it up

Third is I'm a troll at heart and I know it irks the grammar police and knowing this I laugh in the inside.

Fourth is a true story I heard of a daughter who was embarrassed of her father for not being what we would consider an intelligent man. But her father loved her which is more than what we could ask of someone. Which to me meant that although important there are more important things in life

Lastly, even though we may use the wrong words or even misspell it at times the point is made and communication is still established. Which is what language was intended for.

Mostly it's out of laziness.
10-06-2018 10:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.