Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Declining Enrollment
Bookmark and Share
pgreen822 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
Declining Enrollment
My oldest is a junior in high school and we live in Geneva, IL, about 30 minutes east of DeKalb. My wife and I are both NIU grads. We went to a college fair at the local community college last night where about 100 schools had tables and were talking with all of the kids. My son had great conversations with schools like Tennessee, Oregon, Arizona State, Michigan, etc. That being said, there was no NIU presence there. I was shocked. You would think that with declining enrollment, you'd want to be at a job fair that could cater to the local kids for not only living on campus, but also that need to commute for financial reasons.
10-02-2018 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Declining Enrollment
I believe you, but unbelievable.

I grew up in Sycamore and during our high school years, NIU didn't show up for anything either.
10-02-2018 09:35 AM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(10-02-2018 08:55 AM)pgreen822 Wrote:  My oldest is a junior in high school and we live in Geneva, IL, about 30 minutes east of DeKalb. My wife and I are both NIU grads. We went to a college fair at the local community college last night where about 100 schools had tables and were talking with all of the kids. My son had great conversations with schools like Tennessee, Oregon, Arizona State, Michigan, etc. That being said, there was no NIU presence there. I was shocked. You would think that with declining enrollment, you'd want to be at a job fair that could cater to the local kids for not only living on campus, but also that need to commute for financial reasons.

This should be passed along to NIU. Unbelievable that they wouldn’t participate.
10-02-2018 10:30 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(10-02-2018 10:30 AM)Dtownboys Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 08:55 AM)pgreen822 Wrote:  My oldest is a junior in high school and we live in Geneva, IL, about 30 minutes east of DeKalb. My wife and I are both NIU grads. We went to a college fair at the local community college last night where about 100 schools had tables and were talking with all of the kids. My son had great conversations with schools like Tennessee, Oregon, Arizona State, Michigan, etc. That being said, there was no NIU presence there. I was shocked. You would think that with declining enrollment, you'd want to be at a job fair that could cater to the local kids for not only living on campus, but also that need to commute for financial reasons.

This should be passed along to NIU. Unbelievable that they wouldn’t participate.

If out of state schools had reps there, I'd love to hear why NIU was not represented, budget? Would love to hear what they say if questioned.
10-02-2018 11:32 AM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-02-2018 11:32 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 10:30 AM)Dtownboys Wrote:  

If out of state schools had reps there, I'd love to hear why NIU was not represented, budget? Would love to hear what they say if questioned.

man things must be bad if we can't afford a half a tank of gas to Geneva. Maybe we can carpool with someone. Seriously though, at a certain point the "budget" excuse has to stop, we (as a university) are going to have to buck up and start making smart intelligent moves to turn this thing around, with or without the state. At least IMHO.
10-02-2018 12:33 PM
shack66 Offline
2nd String

NIU has a permanent presence at every JC in our region. Students can talk to an NIU advisor any day of the week.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018 01:31 PM by shack66.)
10-02-2018 01:30 PM
Advertisement

pgreen822 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-02-2018 01:30 PM)shack66 Wrote:  NIU has a permanent presence at every JC in our region. Students can talk to an NIU advisor any day of the week.

That's great for the kids that attend the Junior College, but what about the kids that are in high school that never step foot in one?
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018 02:56 PM by pgreen822.)
10-02-2018 02:46 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(10-02-2018 02:46 PM)pgreen822 Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 01:30 PM)shack66 Wrote:  NIU has a permanent presence at every JC in our region. Students can talk to an NIU advisor any day of the week.

That's great for the kids that attend the Junior College, but what about the kids that are in high school that never step foot one?

Unfortunately it seems like niu is giving up on some recruiting efforts. Should be pouring more into those places.
10-02-2018 02:53 PM
Doggone Offline
1st String

When my daughters were in high school not too long ago in the St. Charles area, NIU was at every college fair. Not sure why it would change. Usually, the state schools (NIU, ISU) had larger tables and were separated from the other colleges there.
10-02-2018 03:14 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I've seen more ads for Bowling Green the las tfew years on Chicago's S. Side, S. suburbs than NIU.

They have no plan, no clue.
10-02-2018 10:29 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(10-02-2018 10:29 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  They have no plan, no clue.

But a lot of well paid administrators, I'm sure.
10-03-2018 07:30 AM
Advertisement

cosine4 Offline
2nd String

We took my HS senior daughter to a local college fair last night. There were tables from a lot of big schools that surprised me how far away they were. However even with UF and FSU being there, the longest lines were at USF and UCF who are both busting at the seams (45k and 67k students respectively).

It boggles my mind being so close to Chicago that we are declining.

Sent from my SM-N950U using CSNbbs mobile app
10-03-2018 12:28 PM
MPython Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU & White Sox
This fair was at Waubonsee CC. NIU was there and was given a room of its own just off the main room as it was anticipated to be one of the larger draws. There were signs directing to that room. Admissions talked to almost 80 prospective students that evening.

It is unfortunate that you did not see the signage.

There is an Open House on the DeKalb campus this coming Monday. Please visit.

10-03-2018 12:34 PM
NIUfrank Offline
Special Teams

(10-03-2018 12:28 PM)cosine4 Wrote:  We took my HS senior daughter to a local college fair last night. There were tables from a lot of big schools that surprised me how far away they were. However even with UF and FSU being there, the longest lines were at USF and UCF who are both busting at the seams (45k and 67k students respectively).

Both of those schools are in cities, not just an hour outside of one in cornfields. Of course a Chicago kid wants to go to a Florida school. UCF has great sports environment and USF is a good party school..

Chicago/IL population is declining everyday right?
10-04-2018 06:50 AM
Prince Crossing Offline
Bench Warmer

At RE: Declining Enrollment
(10-04-2018 06:50 AM)NIUfrank Wrote:  
(10-03-2018 12:28 PM)cosine4 Wrote:  We took my HS senior daughter to a local college fair last night. There were tables from a lot of big schools that surprised me how far away they were. However even with UF and FSU being there, the longest lines were at USF and UCF who are both busting at the seams (45k and 67k students respectively).

Both of those schools are in cities, not just an hour outside of one in cornfields. Of course a Chicago kid wants to go to a Florida school. UCF has great sports environment and USF is a good party school..

I believe that this comment nailed it. Back in my day, Arizona and Arizona State were the places to go. A fact not lost on me when trudging through the snow at 7:30 am from Grant Towers to Wirtz Hall. To the average student just looking for a degree, four years in a teenager’s life in the middle of winter 30 miles from home suffering through the winter, or Florida with brand new facilities? Tough to compete with that.
10-04-2018 07:36 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

Unfortunately enrollment challenges is a common theme across our rust belt, the Michigan schools (and WMU) included.

I think nowadays, kids are more open to attending school multiple states away than a generation ago. With social media, Facetime, texting, etc., families can feel more "connected" now across the miles than they used to be.

And having lived for a couple years near UCF, that area sure gets mighty attractive during the upcoming months as we slip further into cold grayness up here.
10-04-2018 07:38 AM
Advertisement

NIUfrank Offline
Special Teams

(10-04-2018 07:36 AM)Prince Crossing Wrote:  

I believe that this comment nailed it. Back in my day, Arizona and Arizona State were the places to go. A fact not lost on me when trudging through the snow at 7:30 am from Grant Towers to Wirtz Hall. To the average student just looking for a degree, four years in a teenager’s life in the middle of winter 30 miles from home suffering through the winter, or Florida with brand new facilities? Tough to compete with that.
Yep I was about to say ASU was always the hot school that a midwest kid wanted. Seens like UCF is doing it better. I was impressed with their stadium. Looked like rocking environment. I was always jealous while at niu and seeing bowl games or regular games at those warm schools. Bikinis or parkas?
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2018 07:46 AM by NIUfrank.)
10-04-2018 07:45 AM
cosine4 Offline
2nd String

True. I think another very significant difference is the cost. I can't believe how much cheaper colleges are in Florida.
10-04-2018 08:16 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
It used to be that out of state schools cost a lot more. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
10-04-2018 09:02 AM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I keep seeing that students with family income less than 61k, assets less than 50k can go to U of I and not pay tuition.

Does NIU or any other state school have similar?

I also heard one of the many similar stories recently about how a kid was going to Missouri for Journalism and they knocked off 15k for being in honors.

I think it's 2 fold. NIU and other public state schools outside of U of I over time have lowered their academics to get in state students while schools in other states targeted the 2nd tier students who could not get into UofI as NIU, ISU once did. Over time these kids have been leaving state and now schools all over are throwing money at IL kids because they are getting kids smarter than what they have at their school, in their state. They are over time increasing academics. One only needs to look at AL recruting in the Chicago area. I heard a claim that almost 1000 kids from IL go there. That may be far fetched, but overall, 56% of students are from other states in the US.

DeKalb was not an ideal spot for campus life 30 years ago. But it had life. I see a dead campus with little life. Closed store fronts,businesses, hotels. Eye sores. Call it what you want, but the scene off Hillcrest/Kimberly/Edgebrooke is NOT a college atmosphere. When you have permanent residents, sec 8 housing that close to campus it makes an impression. People can make every escuse they want about "perception" isn't that bad, the crime numbers at this school/that school are worse. Spare me. Just go to that campus and drive around for an hour on a weekend. Look close. Then ask yourself if you or your kid would want to be there or somewhere else for the same cost, or less and perhaps a better education?

And I think many of the "it's not so bad" preachers are the same ones stating how bad IL is with cost of living, taxes. And those with no ties to NIU ARE seeing it, sending kids out of state. Then ask yourself how DeKalb in spots became like that and why. When you build new housing for students and residents alike what do you do with the old housing? This is what you get.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2018 09:25 AM by randyfensfanclub1.)
10-04-2018 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.