Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bubas Cup 2018-2019
Bookmark and Share
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
Bubas Cup 2018-2019
Obviously very early and the round robin sport of MSOC has yet to play any conference matches yet. But I wanted to toss this out now. Unlike the Sun Belt travel options post I have that anyone can edit, only I have editing options for those. However if you want to help edit the data or add some statistical analysis options I don't mind setting it up for other to edit.

Bubas Cup Rules

The following is copied and pasted straight from the Sun Belt website.

SCORING: Points for the Bubas Cup are awarded based on regular season finish for sports that have a regular season conference schedule. Points are awarded based on Sun Belt Championship finish if that sport does not have a regular season conference schedule.

Points are awarded based on the number of schools sponsoring the sport. Institutions not sponsoring a sport do not receive points in that sport. Institutions tying for positions split the combined points of their positions.
For sports that have both a regular season schedule and a conference tournament, one additional point will be awarded to the winner of the conference tournament.

For sports with divisions, the conference records of all teams are ranked and points are awarded regardless of divisional finish.
-----
Added notes by McLeansvilleAppFan:
Volleyball, with 12 schools participating, awards 12 points for 1st place, 11 points for second place, and so forth down to 1 point for 12th place. Eight of the 18 Sun Belt sponsored sports have 12 schools competing. Men’s Soccer is on the other extreme. Five schools compete in men’s soccer so first place earns 5 points, second place earns 4 points, and so forth.

Schools that tie split the points by adding up the points earned for the tied positions and dividing by the number of schools that tied. And it is not uncommon to have 3- or sometimes 4-way ties.

Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer, Volleyball, Football, Women’s Basketball, Men’s Basketball, Softball and Baseball have both a regular season and a championship tournament. The tournament winner decides which school represents the Sun Belt in any NCAA tournament. Bubas Cup points are awarded for the regular season finish in an at-large pool of schools. Divisions do not matter for Bubas Cup points. The tournament winner receives one extra Bubas Cup point.

Men’s Cross Country, Women’s Cross Country, Men’s Indoor Track and Field, Women’s Indoor Track and Field, Women’s Golf, Men’s Golf, Men’s Tennis, Women’s Tennis, Men’s Outdoor Track and Field, and Women’s Outdoor Track and Field do not have a regular season that involves any sort of sanctioned round robin competition that would constitute a regular season. The conference championship results alone determine Bubas Cup points.

In the case of tennis the actual Bubas Cup points for teams are also determined by NCAA rankings for any part of the bracket that is not completed for all the seeds. 1st and 2nd place and the corresponding Bubas Cup points would be determined by the conference tournament. Any school placing 3rd place or lower earns Bubas Cup points by NCAA rankings. The end result is that tennis Bubas Cup points are earned by performance and schedule against non Sun Belt Schools, as W-L and SOS in the end determines the NCAA rankings. One can tell the order of the rankings based on the seeds in the tournament.

No Bubas Cup points are awarded to any school that sponsors any sport that is not sponsored by the Sun Belt. Field Hockey and Wrestling for Appalachian is one example. Georgia Southern has rifle and swimming and diving. Many schools have non Sun Belt sports as part of their athletic program.

My spreadsheet does contain a tab that separates Women’s points from Men’s points. That is 100% unofficial but can be interesting to examine. There is also a tab for sports by season. This is also unofficial but again interesting to see how different schools sometimes excel during a certain time of the year.

Finally, Unity Points is also unofficial. It is my personal attempt to make every sport count the same. I take the points earned and divide by the points possible for that sport. The conference regular season championship would earn 1.0 unity points or slightly less is there was a tie. A school in the exact middle of the standings would earn 0.5 unity points, and so forth.

I am not aware of any conference that does not sponsor some sort of all-sport competition. It seems every conference does something a bit different. Some conferences make every sport equal weight but the increment in points varies based on the number of schools competing in that sport. (This is very close to my unity points.) Some conferences do the same except the next place only loses one cup point. In that system schools that offer lots of sports can be helped because even last place could be worth 6 or 7 points. Some conferences split the men’s and women’s competitions. (This seems rare but the Southern Conference does this due to The Citadel and VMI not sponsoring many women’s sports.)

There is also a NCAA wide Cup that gives points for NCAA tournament results. (http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-...oring.html)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

As many know I update this on most Sunday's when there are Sun Belt match-ups. I try and make time and update when sports finish which is often during the week for some sports due to when the conference tournament is held. In the spring if the overall Cup situation is close I may update after important games that change the Bubas Cup standings. I can not remember this happening over the last few years in the Sun Belt, but I do remember App only locking up an old SoCon Commissioner Cup only after the very last baseball game of the year and the baseball game was between two other schools. The effect on the standings made a difference in Cup points to the point of the overall school was determined by the outcome.
09-30-2018 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1st String

RE: Bubas Cup 2018-2019
Updated through 6 Oct 2018. Now with some MSOC scores also in the mix.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0
10-07-2018 11:22 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
MAF, making this a Sticky Post.
10-07-2018 12:30 PM
1st String

Updated through football action and other sports yesterday. This is being posted before any of the four WSOC matches today are complete and listed on the SB website.
10-14-2018 12:49 PM
1st String

Updated through Saturday football games. There is some WSOC today and VB is in the mix as well.

Next Saturday is the MXC and WXC conference tournament with the first Bubas points being earned of the year.

10-21-2018 09:55 AM
1st String

Updated for XC. WSOC regular season is complete as well and one point is up for grabs for the tournament winner.

10-28-2018 09:04 AM
Advertisement

1st String

I have not updated the Bubas Cup myself in over a month and all the fall sports are now done. The other poster that enjoys this has been posting so everyone that cares for this has been updated.

I do have other statistics on a few different tabs including a breakdown for Men/Women and some numbers on points possible that takes into account the fact that not all the schools compete in all the Sun Belt sports. Something for everyone on the various tabs to look into how your school in doing.

12-02-2018 03:39 PM
1st String

4 games into basketball conference play. I though it would be nice to see how the numbers are falling into place.

01-13-2019 12:36 PM
1st String

Updated for recent basketball games.

01-27-2019 11:24 AM
1st String

Updated for basketball games through 2 February 2019. ITF coming up in a few weeks.

02-03-2019 11:38 AM
1st String

Numbers updated for ITF championship. Technically App still in the lead but after basketball is over that will not be the case. Including basketball to this point TxSt is up 6.5 points over App.

I tried to format the data below but as I type this I am figuring the formatting will not follow through the posting.

Athletic Name Points as of Date Points Sports Finished
Appalachian State 72.0 63.0
Arkansas State 57.0 50.0
Little Rock 46.0 30.0
Coastal Carolina 51.5 39.5
Georgia Southern 33.5 23.0
Georgia State 53.5 34.0
Louisiana 42.0 31.0
ULM 24.5 15.5
South Alabama 53.0 40.5
Texas State 78.5 60.5
UTA 56.0 35.5
Troy 52.5 41.5
Howard 1.0 1.0
02-19-2019 07:19 PM
Advertisement

1st String

Athletic Name Points as of Date Points Sports Finished
Appalachian State 98 74
Arkansas State 61 58
Little Rock 49 44.5
Coastal Carolina 76 51
Georgia Southern 53 34
Georgia State 73 56
Louisiana 66 42
ULM 35 24
South Alabama 72 52
Texas State 88 77
UTA 70.5 56.5
Troy 60 53
Howard 1 1

In my editing window the columns are spaced for easier reading but it is not posting in that manner. The first number is points earned including the already started spring sports. The second number only includes finished sports which is all of the fall and winter sports.

Here is the link for all the stats.

Softball, Baseball, and Women's Tennis is part of the "To Date" points. Men's tennis starts this coming weekend.

Tennis is going round robin this year and points will not come only from the conference tournament for tennis. With more women's tennis teams in the SB their season is starting a bit earlier than the men's for conference play.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 07:05 PM by McLeansvilleAppFan.)
03-17-2019 06:57 PM
1st String

There are some Sunday baseball and softball games not showing in the standings. As some may not or not know, both Men's and Women's Tennis is playing round robin matches this year so both of these sports will also have points from the regular season standings and not just the conference tournament. I assume standings will also determine seeding in the tournament as well unlike using national rankings as in years past. This is the first round robin tennis at least since App joined the Sun Belt.
03-24-2019 02:45 PM
1st String

Women's regular season tennis is over so I updated Bubas Cup points. There will be a point left to give for the WTEN tourney on 18-21 April

Men's regular season ends tomorrow with their tournament at the same time as the women's. Before either of these will be women's golf, which runs 15-17 April.

04-14-2019 07:18 PM
1st String

I have MTEN and WTEN added up and for those wanting to get a feel for how this may play out I have added day one of Women's Golf. Only three sports left that have not had a chance to put at least preliminary points up.

Including the WGOLF points after day one of three days TxSt has a one point lead in Bubas Cup points.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...1553831335
04-15-2019 06:04 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
What's the difference between "points per sponsored sport finished" and "points per Sun Belt sport finished"?
04-15-2019 08:35 PM
Advertisement

1st String

The first divides by the number of SB sports that are complete regardless of the school competing in that particular sport. The second value only considers the SB sports the school competes in. The first value should be the same order as total points since all schools will have the same denominator. The second value could push a school with less sports offerings up the list. Of course another factor is that that each sport carries more/less points available so MSOC is not worth as much as baseball. The Unity points page assigns equal values to all sports.
04-16-2019 04:33 AM
1st String

Here we are post Women's Golf. App is in the lead looking at completed sports only but including Softball and Baseball to date then TxSt has a small lead. As much as I want App to finally take the Bubas Cup I think this may be TxSt's year. Traditionally TxSt is strong in T&F, as if App, but TxSt has been a bit stronger the last few years. If TxSt finishes middle of the pack in MGolf then I could see the Cup headind to San Marcos. It does make the spring sports more interesting when there is not a clear cut leader late into the spring.

04-17-2019 05:50 PM
1st String

Besides WTen and MTen complete with South Alabama earning 1 pt for both women's and men's tennis tournaments I also have day one of MGolf in the spreadsheet. As predicted last during the last post TxSt is pulling away. If MGolf holds and there could be some movement of course and TxSt performs as they usually do in OTF then I feel pretty confident a new school will be winning the Bubas Cup this year in TxSt.

04-21-2019 05:05 PM
wewererebels Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UT Arlington
(04-21-2019 05:05 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  Besides WTen and MTen complete with South Alabama earning 1 pt for both women's and men's tennis tournaments I also have day one of MGolf in the spreadsheet. As predicted last during the last post TxSt is pulling away. If MGolf holds and there could be some movement of course and TxSt performs as they usually do in OTF then I feel pretty confident a new school will be winning the Bubas Cup this year in TxSt.

TxState would have to do some serious face planting to avoid winning this time.
04-25-2019 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.