Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Biggest blunders in realignment history
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Biggest blunders in realignment history
Let's debate the biggest realignment blunders. Let's keep it to FBS DI. I'm sure sure someone here thinks the break up of the WVIAC was devestating but let's keep the discussion to widely known entities.

Here are a few to ponder:

Formation of the WAC 16

Big East rejects Penn St/failure to form an Eastern all sports Conference

Florida St picks ACC over SEC

Big Ten adding Rutgers and Maryland

Big 12 declines to add Cincy and L'ville to return to 12

Pac 16 DOA

GT and Tulane leaving the SEC

C-USA 3.0 (current 14 member set up)

Big Ten rejects ND (1920s)

ACC expansion 2004-2005

Big 12/LHN Drama sending TAMU, Mizzou to SEC
09-27-2018 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Biggest blunders in realignment history
(09-27-2018 07:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Big 12 declines to add Cincy Rutgers and L'ville to return to 12

What, Texas and Oklahoma couldn't use east coast exposure and New York media coverage?
09-27-2018 08:21 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
In recent years, I think the toppers are:

The PAC passing on OU and oSu...then passing on B1G-PAC due to two schools when the other ten (and all twelve of the B1G) were ready to go all in

UTEP passing on MWC because of that hot second merger thing between the Mountain West and CUSA

James Madison and the too many to count chances they’ve had to escape FCS

In history?

ND and the Big Ten...all installments

Big East...ditto

Tangent of the above...conferences taking schools who were almost fine being somewhere else. The Big East taking a Miami that followed the ACC presidents all the way out to the conference meetings...what, the Big East was going to be better? Or Colorado and the Big XII, especially when the conference wouldn’t expand west. Long term commitment?
09-27-2018 08:42 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(09-27-2018 07:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Big East rejects Penn St/failure to form an Eastern all sports Conference

That's worked out well for everyone involved outside of UConn.
09-27-2018 09:01 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Ths Big East/American adding Tulane and Tulsa and then picking a name that sounds just like C-USA. I still wish we could send those back and add Marshall and Army.
09-27-2018 09:08 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(09-27-2018 08:42 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  In recent years, I think the toppers are:

The PAC passing on OU and oSu...then passing on B1G-PAC due to two schools when the other ten (and all twelve of the B1G) were ready to go all in

UTEP passing on MWC because of that hot second merger thing between the Mountain West and CUSA

James Madison and the too many to count chances they’ve had to escape FCS

In history?

ND and the Big Ten...all installments

Big East...ditto

Tangent of the above...conferences taking schools who were almost fine being somewhere else. The Big East taking a Miami that followed the ACC presidents all the way out to the conference meetings...what, the Big East was going to be better? Or Colorado and the Big XII, especially when the conference wouldn’t expand west. Long term commitment?

[Image: source.gif]
09-27-2018 09:48 PM
Advertisement

P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(09-27-2018 07:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Big 12 declines to add Cincy and L'ville to return to 12

Pac 16 DOA

I bet the ACC regrets giving Louisville an invite considering the mess that University is suffering and Cincy added nothing to the Big 12 per conversations with Big 12 TV partners.

The PAC is suffering from lack of East/Central time viewers. The Texoma 4 could've fixed that but Larry Scott wasn't willing to negotiate on the LHN.
09-27-2018 09:48 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Biggest blunders in realignment history limited to D1:

Georgia Tech’s decision to leave the SEC. I am not sure what Tulane was looking at the time they made their fateful decision, so I’ll cut Tulane some slack. However, GT made their move out of pure spite, and yes, it was dumb!!!

The Big Ten’s decision not to invite Missouri. Completely and totally dumb. Mizzou was practically begging for an invite. SEC cleaned up.

Staying with the Big Ten, the Big Ten’s decision not to invite Notre Dame back in Knute Rockne’s era. That one really haunted them.

The SEC’s decision not to invite Florida State pre-Bobby Bowden. ‘Noles would have accepted back then.

Staying with the SEC, the SEC’s decision not to invite Virginia Tech back when the Hokies were in the Big East, IMO.

Villanova’s decision not to jump to the Big East in football when UConn did.

The Big XII’s decision not to give Louisville an invitation.
09-27-2018 09:56 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(09-27-2018 07:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Let's debate the biggest realignment blunders. Let's keep it to FBS DI. I'm sure sure someone here thinks the break up of the WVIAC was devestating but let's keep the discussion to widely known entities.

Here are a few to ponder:

Formation of the WAC 16

Big East rejects Penn St/failure to form an Eastern all sports Conference

Florida St picks ACC over SEC

Pac 16 DOA

GT and Tulane leaving the SEC

C-USA 3.0 (current 14 member set up)

Big Ten rejects ND (1920s)

ACC expansion 2004-2005

Big 12/LHN Drama sending TAMU, Mizzou to SEC

"Florida St picks ACC over SEC" Bwahahahaha Too bad. Bowden really screwed up.

"Big 12 declines to add Cincy and L'ville to return to 12" I don' see that as a blunder yet. Big 12-2 seems to be doing all right, money-wise especially. It could change but that is to be seen.
09-27-2018 10:03 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
The MAC decision to add Eastern Michigan in 1970, the FBS poster child for low attendance.

By 1984 they were up for expulsion vote. They survived the vote and because of it Northern Illinois left the conference to go Independent.

A couple of decades later there was an internal attempt by the commissioner to try and remove EMU once again.

07-coffee3
09-27-2018 10:24 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(09-27-2018 09:56 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Biggest blunders in realignment history limited to D1:

Georgia Tech’s decision to leave the SEC. I am not sure what Tulane was looking at the time they made their fateful decision, so I’ll cut Tulane some slack. However, GT made their move out of pure spite, and yes, it was dumb!!!

The Big Ten’s decision not to invite Missouri. Completely and totally dumb. Mizzou was practically begging for an invite. SEC cleaned up.

Staying with the Big Ten, the Big Ten’s decision not to invite Notre Dame back in Knute Rockne’s era. That one really haunted them.

The SEC’s decision not to invite Florida State pre-Bobby Bowden. ‘Noles would have accepted back then.

Staying with the SEC, the SEC’s decision not to invite Virginia Tech back when the Hokies were in the Big East, IMO.

You don't need to go back to pre Bowden (1976) days for F.S.U.. They wanted in twice in the 80's when Bowden was already coach.
09-27-2018 10:39 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
That wasn't pre-Bowden days. It was September 1990....
Bobby's famous quote.... "It was like choosing caviar over ribs"

Everyone else knew Bobby and FSU wanted into The ACC because they saw it as the easiest path than The SEC to an undefeated season and a spot in the national title game.

"The SEC presidents voted earlier in the day not to invite Florida State into their conference. 'It seemed to us that Florida State wasn't all that interested in becoming a member of the SEC,' said Dr. Roger Sayers, president at Alabama. 'We want schools who are eager to beome members of the SEC. Since no formal offer had been made, we decided to remove Florida State from further consideration for membership. It was a consensus.'

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1990/09/14/...653284800/
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2018 05:38 AM by CardinalJim.)
09-28-2018 05:36 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The biggest blunders are the major D3 programs that left the others. M.I.T., Chicago, Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western, Washington Missouri, Sewannee, Coast Guard, etc...

M.I.T=Big 10 for Boston t market
Chicago=Big 10 former founding member (dropped sports in the 1940s)
Johns Hopkins=Big 10 instead of Maryland (endowment is much bigger than Maryland's)
Case Western= Big 10 (would be the Northwestern/Purdue type school in Ohio)
Carnegie Mellon=ACC
Washington Missouri=Big 12
Sewannee=SEC former founding member

West Texas A&M former FBS Independent dropping to D2.
UTA, Lamar and Wichita State blunder in dropping their football program.
Florida A&M being an FBS Independent before dropping back to FCS.
Former FBS Independents back between 1978 to 1982. Luckily Appalachian State got back into FBS, but others are stuck right now.
09-28-2018 06:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(09-27-2018 09:56 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Biggest blunders in realignment history limited to D1:

Considering where UConn is now, I don’t think Villanova made a blunder at all. They are in the top conference where they focus their sports.
09-28-2018 07:13 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
MAC decision to add Temple and UMass. MAC adding UCF.
09-28-2018 07:21 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-27-2018 10:24 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The MAC decision to add Eastern Michigan in 1970, the FBS poster child for low attendance.

By 1984 they were up for expulsion vote. They survived the vote and because of it Northern Illinois left the conference to go Independent.

A couple of decades later there was an internal attempt by the commissioner to try and remove EMU once again.

07-coffee3

I think the MAC's addition of EMU at the same time as CMU, Ball St. and NIU was a huge blunder. They went from being ranked most years from 68-75 to not being ranked for 20 years. They added too many teams recruiting the same area.
09-28-2018 07:34 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

And on that theme, the CUSA adding ODU, UNCC and dribbling in Sun Belt schools was a huge blunder. They should have taken more teams at a time so that the Sun Belt didn't refill with a bunch of schools recruiting the same area. Their TV contract has collapsed and their advantage over the MAC and Sun Belt in football competitiveness is pretty much gone.

ODU, UNCC, Appalachian St., Coastal Carolina, Georgia St., Georgia Southern, South Alabama as well as Texas ST. and UTSA, who had just joined the WAC before it failed, are all recruiting the same area, along with Liberty who may or may not have moved up. There are 25 schools beyond the P5 and AAC. There could have been 14 in the CUSA plus 4 independents-Texas St., UTSA, ULM and probably Troy.
09-28-2018 07:48 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Georgia Tech is in a better place than if they had stayed in the SEC. In the SEC they would have become a Vanderbilt. Against schools with less resources in the ACC, they have more chances for success in recruiting and on the field. Tulane was a huge blunder.
09-28-2018 07:49 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(09-28-2018 06:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  The biggest blunders are the major D3 programs that left the others. M.I.T., Chicago, Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western, Washington Missouri, Sewannee, Coast Guard, etc...

M.I.T=Big 10 for Boston t market
Chicago=Big 10 former founding member (dropped sports in the 1940s)
Johns Hopkins=Big 10 instead of Maryland (endowment is much bigger than Maryland's)
Case Western= Big 10 (would be the Northwestern/Purdue type school in Ohio)
Carnegie Mellon=ACC
Washington Missouri=Big 12
Sewannee=SEC former founding member

West Texas A&M former FBS Independent dropping to D2.
UTA, Lamar and Wichita State blunder in dropping their football program.
Florida A&M being an FBS Independent before dropping back to FCS.
Former FBS Independents back between 1978 to 1982. Luckily Appalachian State got back into FBS, but others are stuck right now.

SUNY not allowing athletic scholarships at UBuffalo until the late 1980's and for all other SUNY University Centers (Binghamton, Stony Brook, and Albany) until the late 1990's.
09-28-2018 09:14 AM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
Georgia Southern not moving up in 1990
09-28-2018 09:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.