All American

I Root For: Houston
CFP Committee will be challenged
This year could be a very challenging season for the cfb committee
The SEC has three teams in the top 10
What if Clemson goes undeafeted in a very week ACC
What about Oklahoma doing same
What if Washington st goes 12 and 1
So what about if the Three SEC teams are still ranked higher than the other three conference champions
Will the committee have too decide on something other than SOS, it’s likely to be a PR disaster
Alabama, Georgia, LSU all in the final four ?
What if UCF is still undefeated?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018 09:18 AM by JHS55.)
09-24-2018 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
RE: CFP Committee will be challenged
It's not a challenge at all. They just make the rules up as they go.
09-24-2018 09:48 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
It will be interesting to see what happens if UCF remains undefeated and is snubbed again? How do you keep out a school that will not have lost a game in two seasons, particularly if there are only 0-3 P5 schools that are undefeated.
09-24-2018 09:52 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I'm just shocked that a TCU fan is on here complaining.
09-24-2018 10:27 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-24-2018 09:17 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  This year could be a very challenging season for the cfb committee
So what about if the Three SEC teams are still ranked higher than the other three conference champions
Will the committee have too decide on something other than SOS, it’s likely to be a PR disaster

It's just week three of the season, so it's WAY too early to be projecting what-ifs. Lots of teams that look strong right now will lose games.

But to answer your questions:

1) ANY unbeaten A5 champ WILL make the playoffs, guaranteed, unless there are four other unbeaten A5 champs and/or Notre Dame. So any unbeaten A5 champ will make the playoffs over any SEC team that has a loss. So the only way multiple SEC teams get in is if we have the same situation as last year, where other A5 champs all have losses.

2) Because of the CCG, the SEC can only have one unbeaten team. Even if Georgia and Alabama are both unbeaten going in to the CCG, see rule #1 above, if there are other unbeaten A5 champs, they get in before the SEC loser would.

3) UCF (or any other unbeaten AAC champ) plays a very soft schedule, so UCF would need tons of help to make the playoffs. They would need it to be like 2007, when all the top A5 teams have two losses.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018 10:32 AM by quo vadis.)
09-24-2018 10:31 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Little early to worry about that. Plenty of time for teams to get knocked off.
Who knows? Come December we may have
SEC Kentucky 13-0, Alabama 11-2, UGA 11-1
ACC Syracuse 13-0
Big 10 Maryland 12-1
Big 12 Texas 12-1
Pac 12 USC 8-5
09-24-2018 10:32 AM
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(09-24-2018 09:52 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  It will be interesting to see what happens if UCF remains undefeated and is snubbed again? How do you keep out a school that will not have lost a game in two seasons, particularly if there are only 0-3 P5 schools that are undefeated.

I hope UCF is earning the name recognition apparently required to get into the playoff. Should be fun when UNT is 12-0 at the end of the season and has a blowout of an SEC team on its resume. I'm sure they'll be rewarded with a trip to the bahamas bowl against a 6-6 team for their efforts.
09-24-2018 10:33 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-24-2018 10:33 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  
(09-24-2018 09:52 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  It will be interesting to see what happens if UCF remains undefeated and is snubbed again? How do you keep out a school that will not have lost a game in two seasons, particularly if there are only 0-3 P5 schools that are undefeated.

I hope UCF is earning the name recognition apparently required to get into the playoff. Should be fun when UNT is 12-0 at the end of the season and has a blowout of an SEC team on its resume. I'm sure they'll be rewarded with a trip to the bahamas bowl against a 6-6 team for their efforts.

North Texas looks for real to me, at least as a G5 team. I am glad USF does not have to face them.
09-24-2018 10:36 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(09-24-2018 09:48 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  It's not a challenge at all. They just make the rules up as they go.

This.

They will create a justification to put some combination of Ohio St, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson in. Maybe Washington if they're still a one loss team.
09-24-2018 10:43 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I will say, I am rooting hard for UCF to go undefeated just because I want to see how the committee treats that. Two consecutive undefeated seasons is going to be mighty hard to ignore.
09-24-2018 10:45 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-24-2018 10:36 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-24-2018 10:33 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  

North Texas looks for real to me, at least as a G5 team. I am glad USF does not have to face them.

Or Buffalo goes 13-0, and they blew out a Big 10 team.

We could see this:

AAC: 12-0 UCF
ACC:11-2 Clemson
Big 12:9-4 Texas
Big 10:10-3 Wisconsin
C-USA: 13-0 North Texas
MAC:13-0 Buffalo
MWC:12-1 Boise State
PAC 12:10-3 USC
SEC:12-1 Alabama, 11-1 Georgia, 11-1 LSU
SBC:12-1 Troy or Appalachian State

9-3 Notre Dame

I guess that Clemson, Alabama, Georgia and LSU will be picked for the playoffs.

This could lead for calls for an 8 team playoffs by the other 3 P5 conferences.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018 02:22 PM by DavidSt.)
09-24-2018 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(09-24-2018 10:45 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  I will say, I am rooting hard for UCF to go undefeated just because I want to see how the committee treats that. Two consecutive undefeated seasons is going to be mighty hard to ignore.

Their "treatment" will be based on what happens with the contending A5. UCF doesn't factor into the playoff discussion until we have only 2-loss A5 teams to select from.
09-24-2018 11:27 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Based on history:
SEC Champion
ACC Champion
B1G Champion or highest ranked SEC non-Champion
PAC or XII Champion

My playoff 4 today:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio St
3. Clemson
4. Stanford

Stanford should be in the driver’s seat with a victory at Notre Dame this weekend. I think Oklahoma is a hair weaker than Stanford. I think Georgia loses more than one along the way.
09-24-2018 11:49 AM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
09-24-2018 11:51 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(09-24-2018 09:17 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  This year could be a very challenging season for the cfb committee

Sounds like a lot of schools will be hanging national championship banners come Spring. 07-coffee3
09-24-2018 12:01 PM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(09-24-2018 11:49 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Stanford should be in the driver’s seat with a victory at Notre Dame this weekend. I think Oklahoma is a hair weaker than Stanford. I think Georgia loses more than one along the way.

Stanford always seems to win the tough game and lose the easy game on their schedule.
09-24-2018 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-24-2018 11:49 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Based on history:
SEC Champion
ACC Champion
PAC or XII Champion

My playoff 4 today:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio St
3. Clemson
4. Stanford

Stanford should be in the driver’s seat with a victory at Notre Dame this weekend. I think Oklahoma is a hair weaker than Stanford. I think Georgia loses more than one along the way.

I would put Notre Dame in there if they beat Stanford. Sure, ND could always trip up, but if they win on Saturday they'll have their two toughest games (Michigan and Stanford) behind them.
09-24-2018 12:33 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It looks like there will be a lot of heartburn among the G5 fans.

You could have some truly excellent, and deserving, 1 and 2 loss teams which are going to get the nod—and rightfully so—over some decent undefeated G5’s.
09-24-2018 12:57 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(09-24-2018 12:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
SEC Champion
ACC Champion
PAC or XII Champion

My playoff 4 today:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio St
3. Clemson
4. Stanford

I would put Notre Dame in there if they beat Stanford. Sure, ND could always trip up, but if they win on Saturday they'll have their two toughest games (Michigan and Stanford) behind them.

There are a couple of fascinating scenarios that could arise. Let's say that Notre Dame manages to remain unbeaten and that West Virginia loses a a pair but manages to beat Oklahoma. Let's also say that the PAC doesn't produce an undefeated champion. What happens to the Big 12's current calm if a one loss Oklahoma is beaten out by Notre Dame for that 4th CFP slot? Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State/Penn State, Notre Dame.

And what happens to the ACC if Clemson drops a close decision on say an iffy call to suffer their only loss, but the CFP puts Notre Dame into the CFP at Clemson's expense? I think the resultant animosity could be epic.

As to the OP's contention that UCF should get in if they go undefeated, I say the controversy would be the lack of the data point against a P5 opponent because the Tropical Storm knocked them out of that game, eerily similar to the previous year. Does the committee compensate or hold to form?
09-24-2018 01:10 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(09-24-2018 01:10 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(09-24-2018 12:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
SEC Champion
ACC Champion
PAC or XII Champion

My playoff 4 today:
1. Also
2. Ohio St
3. Clemson
4. Stanford

There are a couple of fascinating scenarios that could arise. Let's say that Notre Dame manages to remain unbeaten and that West Virginia loses a a pair but manages to beat Oklahoma. Let's also say that the PAC doesn't produce an undefeated champion. What happens to the Big 12's current calm if a one loss Oklahoma is beaten out by Notre Dame for that 4th CFP slot? Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State/Penn State, Notre Dame.

And what happens to the ACC if Clemson drops a close decision on say an iffy call to suffer their only loss, but the CFP puts Notre Dame into the CFP at Clemson's expense? I think the resultant animosity could be epic.

As to the OP's contention that UCF should get in if they go undefeated, I say the controversy would be the lack of the data point against a P5 opponent because the Tropical Storm knocked them out of that game, eerily similar to the previous year. Does the committee compensate or hold to form?
I wasn’t suggesting UCF be considered for the CFP “ cfp is A5 only” but if they go undefeated it will only add to the overall controversy, people will see a 26-0 team more than a 13-0 team
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018 01:26 PM by JHS55.)
09-24-2018 01:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.