Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference provisions for expelling members
Poster Offline
All American

I Root For: Auburn
Conference provisions for expelling members
I am especially curious about the Big 10's expulsion provisions. How can the Big 10 kick out Rutgers?

The Big 10 needs to expel Rutgers. NYC tv market hahaha. Well, guess what-Comcast dropped the BTN in NYC a few months ago. There are even some rumors that they might also drop the BTN in NJ. Which would make NJ the only state with a Big 10 team not to get the BTN as part of the basic cable package.

I never got the idea of Rutgers getting invited to the Big 10 in the first place. Seriously going well outside your geographic region to get a historically bad football and basketball team?

Now the Rutgers decision is looking worse than ever. In 2016, they got shut out in 4 different conference games-and allowed at least 39 points in all 4 of those games. In 2017, they were the victim of 2 more conference shutouts- 56-0 against Ohio State and 41-0 against Indiana. Yes, Indiana.

Not only are they bad in football, but their bball records in the Big 10 so far have been 2-16, 1-17, 3-15 and 3-15.

The Kansas and Buffalo games should have been the last straw. Seriously those are the worst back to back games I have seen a major conference team play in my life.

I'm not even a Big 10 fan, but I think Rutgers needs to be kicked out of the Big 10 so badly.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 11:42 AM by Poster.)
09-23-2018 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
RE: Conference provisions for expelling members
Will never happen. Rutgers isn't in the Big 10 to win athletic contests, they're there to infiltrate cable boxes and provide recruiting territory for PSU, OSU, and the Michigans. The greatest thing Rutgers ever did was be chartered in the right place by the British King's governor in the 1700s, but there's something to be said for being born on third base.
09-23-2018 11:52 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-23-2018 11:52 AM)Bogg Wrote:  Will never happen. Rutgers isn't in the Big 10 to win athletic contests, they're there to infiltrate cable boxes and provide recruiting territory for PSU, OSU, and the Michigans. The greatest thing Rutgers ever did was be chartered in the right place by the British King's governor in the 1700s, but there's something to be said for being born on third base.

And its not just recruiting athletes. They want to recruit students.

They are also there to provide excuses for college administrators to connect with well to do alumni in the NYC area.
09-23-2018 11:57 AM
Poster Offline
All American

(09-23-2018 11:52 AM)Bogg Wrote:  Will never happen. Rutgers isn't in the Big 10 to win athletic contests, they're there to infiltrate cable boxes and provide recruiting territory for PSU, OSU, and the Michigans. The greatest thing Rutgers ever did was be chartered in the right place by the British King's governor in the 1700s, but there's something to be said for being born on third base.

As I already mentioned, the BTN basically got dropped in NY recently.

Clearly Comcast doesn't think Rutgers delivers NYC to the Big 10, and isn't willing to pay for it.

http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networ...areas.html
09-23-2018 12:11 PM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
(09-23-2018 12:11 PM)Poster Wrote:  

Clearly Comcast doesn't think Rutgers delivers NYC to the Big 10, and isn't willing to pay for it.

Yes, Comcast really showed the Big Ten something by dropping BTN in a few small towns in Putnam County. 03-lmfao

https://www.xfinity.com/locations/new-york

Stop with the nonsense about BTN in NYC.
09-23-2018 12:34 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Buffalo may have been the better choice for the big 10 to go after. Better men's basketball brand, and football is on the rise.
09-23-2018 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Poster Offline
All American

(09-23-2018 12:34 PM)madizoned-level2004 Wrote:  

Yes, Comcast really showed the Big Ten something by dropping BTN in a few small towns in Putnam County. 03-lmfao

If Comcast barely exists in NY, then that honestly makes the Big 10's selection was Rutgers all the worse.

That would mean that even if Rutgers were super popular in NY, they barely would help the BTN get into NY. At least as long as the BTN is partnered with Comcast.

And, anyway, the handful of places where Comcast exists in NY are mostly in Duchess and Putnam Counties. Which are right above NYC, which Rutgers supposedly delivers.
09-23-2018 01:12 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

Comcast's coverage in New York aside (as someone who lives on the NY border in the general NYC market, my understanding is that Comcast isn't a major player in the NYC cable market and is more Fairfield County in CT and the semi-rural Hudson Valley area north of the City), New Jersey is a very high-population state in its own right. At a little over 9 million residents they're the 5th-biggest media market in the Big 10 and they'd be the 4th-biggest market in the SEC. That's still if all the cable companies collectively decided to build a digital wall on the Palisades and kept the BTN out of NYC entirely.

Trust me, as an alum of an East Coast school who actually wins national championships but still got passed over for Rutgers, this has been picked over as much as it possibly can be. Rutgers is the moron trust-fund kid who's nevertheless an important company investor because of their family's money. It is what it is. Coupled with a wealthy population that has money to pay out-of-state tuition for their kids and general lack of interest in Rutgers athletics keeping them in-state and they were a sound financial decision.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 01:14 PM by Bogg.)
09-23-2018 01:13 PM
madizoned-level2004 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU and Rutgers
(09-23-2018 01:12 PM)Poster Wrote:  

Yes, Comcast really showed the Big Ten something by dropping BTN in a few small towns in Putnam County. :lmfao:

If Comcast barely exists in NY, then that honestly makes the Big 10's selection was Rutgers all the worse.

That would mean that even if Rutgers were super popular in NY, they barely would help the BTN get into NY. At least as long as the BTN is partnered with Comcast.

And, anyway, the handful of places where Comcast exists in NY are mostly in Duchess and Putnam Counties. Which are right above NYC, which Rutgers supposedly delivers.

What? There are other cable companies that cover NYC and most of the rest of NYS. Time Warner, Optimum, among others. BTN is on in all but that tiny handful of towns where Comcast exists.
09-23-2018 01:40 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Rutgers is not going anywhere. They are an easy win for football and men’s basketball. They offer exposure for recruits and students plus a trip to NYC. That’s it. They’ll have a 2006 type of run once every 10-15 years but I’m sure their fans know their place in the B1G and thank their lucky stars they’re not in AAC.
09-23-2018 01:40 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I cannot answer the question in regard to the Big Ten.

I do know the Sun Belt bylaws and there are two paths.
1. A motion is made to expel a member and after discussion a vote is taken with the school subject to removal not voting and out of the room. It requires a unanimous vote to expel.
2. Change the minimum membership criteria which Sun Belt used to push Denver and New Orleans to the exits. Requires a 3/4ths vote of the membership and the effected schools get a vote.

Then of course there is the old PCC method. Dissolve the conference then eventually reform it with not everyone included.

My guess is every conference can use the change the membership criteria method and has a similar supermajority requirement but not every league has a specific expulsion method.
09-23-2018 04:29 PM
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(09-23-2018 12:53 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Buffalo may have been the better choice for the big 10 to go after. Better men's basketball brand, and football is on the rise.

[Image: 1511645638249.jpg]
09-23-2018 04:45 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Can we please stop the Buffalo to the Big 10 talks?
09-23-2018 05:03 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(09-23-2018 05:03 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Can we please stop the Buffalo to the Big 10 talks?

Unfortunately those won't end until Rutgers becomes decent in football.
09-23-2018 05:07 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers

When is the SEC gonna boot Auburn? A small state like that doesn't need two teams and Bama can clearly carry the load.
09-23-2018 05:43 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I have comcast and I live in the NYC TV market and I still have the BTN.
09-23-2018 05:44 PM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

Let me show you how clueless you are. Half of the NYC TV market is NJ.
09-23-2018 05:46 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(09-23-2018 01:13 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

Comcast's coverage in New York aside (as someone who lives on the NY border in the general NYC market, my understanding is that Comcast isn't a major player in the NYC cable market and is more Fairfield County in CT and the semi-rural Hudson Valley area north of the City), New Jersey is a very high-population state in its own right. At a little over 9 million residents they're the 5th-biggest media market in the Big 10 and they'd be the 4th-biggest market in the SEC. That's still if all the cable companies collectively decided to build a digital wall on the Palisades and kept the BTN out of NYC entirely.

Trust me, as an alum of an East Coast school who actually wins national championships but still got passed over for Rutgers, this has been picked over as much as it possibly can be. Rutgers is the moron trust-fund kid who's nevertheless an important company investor because of their family's money. It is what it is. Coupled with a wealthy population that has money to pay out-of-state tuition for their kids and general lack of interest in Rutgers athletics keeping them in-state and they were a sound financial decision.

...and who was FCS a decade before the move was made. You always leave that part out. Rutgers have always been part of the group of power schools since the bowl alliance.
09-23-2018 05:48 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(09-23-2018 05:48 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  ...and who was FCS a decade before the move was made. You always leave that part out. Rutgers have always been part of the group of power schools since the bowl alliance.

...and yet somehow managed to win fewer Big East football championships than UConn. I leave nothing out - Rutgers wasn't selected for anything they've done on the field or (obviously) basketball court, it was a demographic cash grab. Don't pretend otherwise, it comes off as silly. UConn had the better athletic department, New Jersey has three times the population of Connecticut.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 06:04 PM by Bogg.)
09-23-2018 06:03 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
Rutgers to the Big Ten was mentioned in the early 90s. They have been on the radar for the Big Ten for a while. They fit academically and demographically of the other Big Ten schools perfectly. They also provide the Big 3 of the Big Ten in opportunity to play every other year in the New York City metro. Which is huge for recruiting both student athletes and students. Not to mention the New York area is a large alumni hub for many of the Big Ten schools.
09-23-2018 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.