Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So here we are now. Apathy has set in
Bookmark and Share
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
I find it interesting that no one seems to be outraged or even surprised when our Huskies struggle on the field. We are now at the point where not competing against good teams is our expectation.

It's rather dull, actually. This board used to be fun to read through. We used to have interesting debates about many football topics. That's all gone now. Once upon a time there were Rod Carey defenders/apologists. Are there any left? Where is Seven and his band of followers? Is there a single person left who thinks Rod Carey is good for this program? If so, please step forward.

God willing, this is the last season under the Carey ruination. Let's hope for some new blood, a breath of fresh air, and a return to NIU being a mid-major power. One can only hope!
09-22-2018 11:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
RE: So here we are now. Apathy has set in
Thank you Vegas. I agree with you. We need a change and god forbid Rod coaches after this year I will not be attending any games. He needs to go.
09-22-2018 11:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(09-22-2018 11:34 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  I find it interesting that no one seems to be outraged or even surprised when our Huskies struggle on the field. We are now at the point where not competing against good teams is our expectation.

It's rather dull, actually. This board used to be fun to read through. We used to have interesting debates about many football topics. That's all gone now. Once upon a time there were Rod Carey defenders/apologists. Are there any left? Where is Seven and his band of followers? Is there a single person left who thinks Rod Carey is good for this program? If so, please step forward.

God willing, this is the last season under the Carey ruination. Let's hope for some new blood, a breath of fresh air, and a return to NIU being a mid-major power. One can only hope!

I disagree. I think fans are outraged but not surprised. Its the expectation the offense will suck, Carey will not prepare the team (aka bad fundamentals), and he still makes strange in-game calls.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2018 11:42 PM by NIUSox10.)
09-22-2018 11:42 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

(09-22-2018 11:42 PM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  
(09-22-2018 11:34 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  I find it interesting that no one seems to be outraged or even surprised when our Huskies struggle on the field. We are now at the point where not competing against good teams is our expectation.

I disagree. I think fans are outraged but not surprised. Its the expectation the offense will suck, Carey will not prepare the team (aka bad fundamentals), and he still makes strange in-game calls.

What are you disagreeing with? You pretty much reiterated everything I said with the exception that you think fans are outraged - which is a contrarian view to what I originally opined.
09-22-2018 11:50 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

(09-22-2018 11:50 PM)VegasHuskie Wrote:  
(09-22-2018 11:42 PM)NIUSox10 Wrote:  

What are you disagreeing with? You pretty much reiterated everything I said with the exception that you think fans are outraged - which is a contrarian view to what I originally opined.

Right I think there is outrage on the board, in the stands, and in fan circles. But i agree with the apathy/expectation. It starts with rod.
09-22-2018 11:56 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Why should NIU fans expect more? FSU’s talent composite is #5, Utah #39, and iowa #49. NIU’s is #90. They won vs CMU who is #89. So far it adds up. Please tell me why you expect more. Be specific, not just because you think so. Don’t be a homer, be an analyst and use solid football rationale.
09-22-2018 11:58 PM
Advertisement

jjj Offline
Special Teams

This is pretty simple. Compare NIU's coaching salaries, recruiting map, and conference resources to any Big 10, Pac 12, or ACC school. Conference resources includes money generated by TV networks for member schools (Big 10 network, etc).
Go look up their salaries, and x-star athletes that are on their rosters compared to NIU. Put their numbers here in your reply.

Heck, just look at the physical size of the players when you watch NIU when they play these P5 teams.

You all expect NIU to be 3-0 against these P5 teams and it is totally unrealistic. I saw NIU be in the game vs Iowa for 3 quarters, be in in the game against Utah till one minute left, and be in in the game at FSU for 3.5 quarters. If we were out of these games by the end of the first quarter or by half, then it is another story......What counts for me is MAC performance, vs the peer schools of NIU. Of course the MAC is bad, but they have the same resources we do....How do we do vs our peers with similar resources is the bottom line....

Was there ridiculous coaching calls in these games P5 games and CMU game? Of course.....But until he fails big time in the MAC, I can not expect us to be going for the G5 bowl every year. NIU has many fair weather fans who jumped on board in 2003, and of course they are gone now. Welcome to the reality of a mid-major school. If he finishes in top 2 in the West year in and year out, I can not ask for anything more, given the resources of NIU.....

And yes, some coaching strategies are outright ridiculous and will cost him his job if it continues because NIU will fall into the lower standings in the MAC west.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 02:09 AM by jjj.)
09-23-2018 01:00 AM
JoeNovak Offline
1st String

(09-23-2018 01:00 AM)jjj Wrote:  This is pretty simple. Compare NIU's coaching salaries, recruiting map, and conference resources to any Big 10, Pac 12, or ACC school. Conference resources includes money generated by TV networks for member schools (Big 10 network, etc).
Go look up their salaries, and x-star athletes that are on their rosters compared to NIU. Put their numbers here in your reply.

Heck, just look at the physical size of the players when you watch NIU when they play these P5 teams.

You all expect NIU to be 3-0 against these P5 teams and it is totally unrealistic. I saw NIU be in the game vs Iowa for 3 quarters, be in in the game against Utah till one minute left, and be in in the game at FSU for 3.5 quarters. If we were out of these games by the end of the first quarter or by half, then it is another story......What counts for me is MAC performance, vs the peer schools of NIU. Of course the MAC is bad, but they have the same resources we do....How do we do vs our peers with similar resources is the bottom line....

Was there ridiculous coaching calls in these games P5 games and CMU game? Of course.....But until he fails big time in the MAC, I can not expect us to be going for the G5 bowl every year. NIU has many fair weather fans who jumped on board in 2003, and of course they are gone now. Welcome to the reality of a mid-major school. If he finishes in top 2 in the West year in and year out, I can not ask for anything more, given the resources of NIU.....

And yes, some coaching strategies are outright ridiculous and will cost him his job if it continues because NIU will fall into the lower standings in the MAC west.

Your argument is exactly the problem. If there was ever a time to beat Iowa, Utah, and FSU it would have been now due to our defense and a somewhat functional offense (which Carey couldn’t accomplish). FSU was ripe for another upset if we could do anything on offense.
No offense, most of us NIU “fans” want more than just being competitive in the MAC. We saw how a team like Boise and Utah were once in our position and became nationally known and moved conferences.
You know how they did it?? By beating power 5 schools on a consistent basis because that gets people’s attention......not who won the MAC west last year. Nobody gives a sh*t who won the MAC west besides those in that conference. Quick, name who won the Sun Belt conference last year.....exactly...you don’t know...because you don’t give a sh*t.
09-23-2018 07:09 AM
HuskieJoe Offline
All American

I Root For:
These days for NIU, it’s about the money. Cancel the home game with Idaho for the $1.6M paycheck from FSU to balance the budget and keep the athletic department from having layoffs.

Three Power 5 teams on the schedule, including the top 2 defenses in the country statistically after Week 3 (Iowa and Utah). And FSU is loaded with talent. Is it that surprising we are 0-3 OOC?

We certainly could be better on offense, and probably will in MAC play. If we go 6-2 in MAC play, Carey probably gets extended not because he’s a phenomenal coach but because we are competitive in the MAC and that’s pretty good given the financial constraints we face right now.
09-23-2018 07:19 AM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

No excitement to this program whatsoever. No spark.

See the Old Dominion QB put 500 yards up on #13 VT? 28 points for OD in the 4th quarter.

It's a big deal if we get a first down.

I was thrilled yesterday that Childers had 200....then we had zero rushing.

This is on the coaching staff.
09-23-2018 07:23 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(09-22-2018 11:58 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Why should NIU fans expect more? FSU’s talent composite is #5, Utah #39, and iowa #49. NIU’s is #90. They won vs CMU who is #89. So far it adds up. Please tell me why you expect more. Be specific, not just because you think so. Don’t be a homer, be an analyst and use solid football rationale.

How do you think that lowly MAC team, Toledo, would have done against FSU yesterday?
09-23-2018 07:52 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(09-23-2018 07:23 AM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  No excitement to this program whatsoever. No spark.

See the Old Dominion QB put 500 yards up on #13 VT? 28 points for OD in the 4th quarter.

It's a big deal if we get a first down.

I was thrilled yesterday that Childers had 200....then we had zero rushing.

This is on the coaching staff.

Someone forgot to tell Old Dominion they were playing a P5 defense. Everyone knows when you play P5 defenses you should score no more than 10 points. Bad Dominion, bad!
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 08:30 AM by epasnoopy.)
09-23-2018 08:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(09-23-2018 07:19 AM)HuskieJoe Wrote:  These days for NIU, it’s about the money. Cancel the home game with Idaho for the $1.6M paycheck from FSU to balance the budget and keep the athletic department from having layoffs.

Three Power 5 teams on the schedule, including the top 2 defenses in the country statistically after Week 3 (Iowa and Utah). And FSU is loaded with talent. Is it that surprising we are 0-3 OOC?

We certainly could be better on offense, and probably will in MAC play. If we go 6-2 in MAC play, Carey probably gets extended not because he’s a phenomenal coach but because we are competitive in the MAC and that’s pretty good given the financial constraints we face right now.

Better to play the FSU's than the Idahos. I remember losing to Idaho and the JL lead team only beating them by a point or show in the Kibble Dome or whatever it's called.

We're 0-3 in OCC; Should have been at least 1-2; the Utah game was a travesty.

As for Carey, well, we're probably stuck with him. Telling that he hasn't been poached by a bigger program. The announcers were raving about him yesterday, talking about his great record.
09-23-2018 08:52 AM
Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

So, let's face facts.
Since Carey took over and his players (he recruited) are now in full swing, let us consider the performance timeline from when he started his first game (Orange Bowl) and how this team has slowly dropped off as his recruiting classes coaching selections have gone. We have gone from a 10+ win team a year to a 500 team in 4 years of Carey. I would attribute one really bad season to QB injuries a few years ago. ( having a walk on qb is not a good comparison.)

He has failed to find a QB. He has made terrible calls during the games. The O-line should be opening up bigger holes and protecting better. He was an O-line coach right? Put a non-performing O-Line with a poor QB and you have nothing but trouble on Offense. Which of course is what we have today. Even last year, it was awful. The offense is predictable and runs basically the same plays week in and week out. We used to get contributions from the tight end position, that has basically gone away as well. How many times could we have faked a run up the middle, then bring the TE out to the flat. Let the big guy ramble some. Maybe none of our TE can catch, I don't know. Maybe our receives can't get open and when they do, it is either a bad pass or they drop the ball. How many dropped passes were there yesterday. That unfortunate step out of bounds, (and missed field goal) killed us yesterday. How can Gantz miss a chip shot like that. Geez!

The offense not scoring is only part of the problem. They can't generate first downs to keep our defense off the field. What did we have time of possession in the first half yesterday. 9 minutes. That is plain awful. No wonder we seem to tire in the 4th. If not that, we lose focus.

For 3-4 years now, I have wanted to get rid of Carey. If we renew his contract again, I don't know if I can continue to watch the team. Just winning in the MAC is not good enough period. If we as fans only care about winning the MAC, there is no chance we will ever get to a big bowl game again. The orange bowl (and following year) were great football teams at NIU. What were we then 24-4 over 2 years? something like that. Anyway, I for one want Carey gone as much as anyone.

How's that for rants? Smith is still a stud, that is for sure. Not quite meeting his numbers from last year, but that is expected. He is the only bright spot on this years team.
09-23-2018 09:07 AM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

I used to think, we win/are competitive in the MAC and we can beat a few Power 5 schools, so Carey gets a pass. However, I recently took a trip down memory lane and popped in the old NCAA 14 in the Xbox 360. Looking at those plays, I remember how dangerous we used to be running the RPO out of the pistol. We were run heavy and always legitimately had a dual threat qb. Looking just at recent years, look at how dangerous our QBs were...Harnish, Lynch, Hare, Maddie, and even Childers last year

Chandler Harnish -
2011 - 3216 passing Yds with 28 TDs coupled with 1379 rushing Yds and 11 TDs

Jordan Lynch -
2012 - 3138 passing Yds with 25 TDs coupled with 1815 rushing Yds and 19 TDs
2013 - 2892 passing Yds with 24 TDs coupled with 1920 rushing Yds and 23 TDs

Drew Hare
2014 - 2322 passing Yds with 18 TDs coupled with 900 rushing Yds and 8 TDs

2015 - the blackhole...

Anthony Maddie
2016 - in a limited number of games after coming from WR, he still had 1913 passing Yds with 25 TDs coupled with 558 rushing Yds and 7 TDs

And lastly Marcus Childers, the MAC Freshman of the year...in a limited number of games, after taking the lead spot from Santa, he looked promising for a young guy
2017 - 1674 passing Yds with 25 TDs coupled with 1815 rushing Yds and 19 TDs

We used to be pretty frightening to play against. We could handle our business in the MAC, and punch a Power 5 team in the mouth with a win or loss. Owning the largest margin of victory against a Big Ten school or making Ohio State crap their pants. But this year we have a great defense, hampered by a depressing pass game...maybe it's time Rod goes, I don't know what his excuse is anymore. At the very least, Mike Uremovich has to go...

I have no idea what I'm watching anymore...
09-23-2018 09:08 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

They all need to go. Carey and his entire coaching staff from University of St. Francis. Time to start fresh, we play fundamentally bad football.
09-23-2018 09:15 AM
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

(09-23-2018 07:09 AM)JoeNovak Wrote:  
(09-23-2018 01:00 AM)jjj Wrote:  This is pretty simple. Compare NIU's coaching salaries, recruiting map, and conference resources to any Big 10, Pac 12, or ACC school. Conference resources includes money generated by TV networks for member schools (Big 10 network, etc).

Your argument is exactly the problem. If there was ever a time to beat Iowa, Utah, and FSU it would have been now due to our defense and a somewhat functional offense (which Carey couldn’t accomplish). FSU was ripe for another upset if we could do anything on offense.
No offense, most of us NIU “fans” want more than just being competitive in the MAC. We saw how a team like Boise and Utah were once in our position and became nationally known and moved conferences.
You know how they did it?? By beating power 5 schools on a consistent basis because that gets people’s attention......not who won the MAC west last year. Nobody gives a sh*t who won the MAC west besides those in that conference. Quick, name who won the Sun Belt conference last year.....exactly...you don’t know...because you don’t give a sh*t.

+1 that is a lot of NIU alum feel as well. They AD failed to capture their heart as students, so now they may only showna little pride or interest with a P5 skulp via OOC or Bowl win. These wins are way more important to pulling in these fans than doing well in the MAC.

We use to dominate MAC tv ratings, and even beat out non-MAC weekday games except a few ranked matchups elsewhere. I think people would now turn the channel after watching our shity offense and style that is not exciting at all.
09-23-2018 09:26 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(09-23-2018 07:52 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(09-22-2018 11:58 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Why should NIU fans expect more? FSU’s talent composite is #5, Utah #39, and iowa #49. NIU’s is #90. They won vs CMU who is #89. So far it adds up. Please tell me why you expect more. Be specific, not just because you think so. Don’t be a homer, be an analyst and use solid football rationale.

:Toledo
How do you think that lowly MAC team, Toledo, would have done against FSU yesterday?

We probably would have been drilled like we were against Miami. ACC teams like the Seminoles/Canes rise up to the occasion when they play teams like NIU/Toledo, knowing that it won’t be a walk in the park...
09-23-2018 10:07 AM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

When you have a coaching staff that fails to utilize its best players and a quarterback who is not accurate, you're not going to win a lot of the winnable games. Even though the defense got you FOUR turnovers, you can't get back in the game? That's pathetic. Childers showed spark in the second half but it totally fizzled. That fourth down throw to a wide-open DJ Brown was pitiful. Unless Childers finds some consistency (I don't see it happening) or the coaches learn to better utilize Harbison and Nettles (if he doesn't fumble), I doubt we get a bowl game. Childers is what he is -- an inaccurate passer who can't lead us to a victory by the strength of his arm. I believe we have the ground forces to help him but the coaches aren't creative enough, smart enough, or open-minded enough to get Childers the help he needs. You abandon the run because you're down 14-0 and then go on to go three-and-out on four consecutive drives? That is asinine. Childers only started completing passes when he had nothing to lose. As soon as we started thinking "we have a chance'' (thanks to the defense creating turnovers) he went back to his old inaccurate self and the offense fizzled again. Unless we unleash Harbison next week we will lose to EMU. Get Harbison atttacking the D from multiple angles and do what it takes to get him to the open field. He will have a field day. Get the play action going to hit on the big plays. Yes, we will miss a few, but hopefully we can connect on a couple to get us the win. EMU will be chomping at the bit to get some revenge on us. The defense will obviously be up to the task. I hope our offensive coaches will be as well...
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 10:26 AM by badmoonrising13.)
09-23-2018 10:23 AM
142niu Offline
Special Teams

Next week will tell us a lot about what time of season we are going to have. EMU is a tough MAC team and it will be a challenge.

This seasons OOC schedule is the toughest in NIU history. Add in the Illinois financial debacle. I'm impressed the Huskies can even be competitive against these 3 and 4 star loaded teams. With a decent coach we could of won one or two of these games.

A big shout out to this team for playing this schedule. At the end of the day they are just kids that the Iowas, Utahs, Florida States, and other P5's had no interest in. Hold your heads up and do it for each other.

Rod Carey is absolute Trash!
09-23-2018 10:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.