Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some students say having to speak in front of the class is an unreasonable burden
BEARCATDALE Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Some students say having to speak in front of the class is an unreasonable burden
Teens Are Protesting In-Class Presentations
[/quote]
For many middle- and high-school students, giving an in-class presentation was a rite of passage. Teachers would call up students, one by one, to present their work in front of the class and, though it was often nerve-racking, many people claim it helped turn them into more confident public speakers.

“Coming from somebody with severe anxiety, having somebody force me to do a public presentation was the best idea to happen in my life,” one woman recently tweeted. According to a recent survey by the Association of American Colleges and Universities, oral communication is one of the most sought-after skills in the workplace, with over 90 percent of hiring managers saying it’s important. Some educators also credit in-class presentations with building essential leadership skills and increasing students’ confidence and understanding of material.[quote]
09-21-2018 11:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Snowflakes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-21-2018 11:33 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
RE: Some students say having to speak in front of the class is an unreasonable burden
has anyone heard of toastmasters?

https://www.toastmasters.org/
09-21-2018 11:41 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Some students say having to speak in front of the class is an unreasonable burden
Many fear public speaking more than death.
09-21-2018 11:51 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
taking a speech class should be mandatory by 5th grade....

at that point, one can begin weeding out the quick and unafraid.....

oopsy, that probably makes me a soulless sac o' flesh.....

welcome to the REAL WORLD....
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2018 06:10 AM by stinkfist.)
09-22-2018 06:10 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I ran an Oratorical contest several times for the civic club Im a member of. Public speaking is number 1 or 2 most feared things for most people. Almost every contestant I talked to after theses contests said the same thing. "Although I was scared..Im glad that I did this. I feel like I can tackle anything now." THIS is why public speaking is important. It instills confidence and grows ones maturity.
09-22-2018 07:51 AM
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
It was the worst class I had in college until I did my first presentation.

I had to present an instructional. I decided to show how to hit a golf ball. About a quarter of the way into the speech I took my paper with my notes and rolled it up into a ball to use as my golf ball prop. The Proff loved it - A+ .
09-22-2018 08:06 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(09-22-2018 08:06 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  It was the worst class I had in college until I did my first presentation.

I had to present an instructional. I decided to show how to hit a golf ball. About a quarter of the way into the speech I took my paper with my notes and rolled it up into a ball to use as my golf ball prop. The Proff loved it - A+ .

I had an English teacher that required everyone in the class to do impromptu speeches on a subject she would throw out. It was the single best class(next to typing) that I had in HS. I never feared public speaking after that. I ran a youth soccer program for several years and had to get up in front of over a 1000 kids and their parents and speak for close to an hour at the season end award ceremony. I thought about those impromptu classes a lot before having to face that. The one thing I learned early on is to make the audience laugh up front. Id usually just tell a story about something funny I saw one of the kids or coaches do during the season. It never failed to work. Once you get the laughs...everything gets easy from there.
09-22-2018 08:23 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(09-22-2018 06:10 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  taking a speech class should be mandatory by 5th grade....

My 10 year old (5th grade) is sitting in his room now preparing for his speech in front of his class about the book he finished reading. Those kids complaining need to grow up.
09-22-2018 08:27 AM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I hated to get in front of the class to make a speech. I got better when I became a supervisor, I had to. One time I had to attend a Fire Fighting seminar in Dallas and a stewardess had to get in front of everyone who participated and her voice was shaking as much as she was. She was dying at the podium. It was a good thing that she was very attractive and since everyone got to know each other we offered our congrats.
09-22-2018 12:18 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(09-22-2018 12:18 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I hated to get in front of the class to make a speech. I got better when I became a supervisor, I had to. One time I had to attend a Fire Fighting seminar in Dallas and a stewardess had to get in front of everyone who participated and her voice was shaking as much as she was. She was dying at the podium. It was a good thing that she was very attractive and since everyone got to know each other we offered our congrats.

At the podium or in her hotel room?
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2018 05:01 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
09-22-2018 05:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(09-22-2018 05:01 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(09-22-2018 12:18 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I hated to get in front of the class to make a speech. I got better when I became a supervisor, I had to. One time I had to attend a Fire Fighting seminar in Dallas and a stewardess had to get in front of everyone who participated and her voice was shaking as much as she was. She was dying at the podium. It was a good thing that she was very attractive and since everyone got to know each other we offered our congrats.

At the podium or in her hotel room?

Cochino Aggie. Tsk. At the podium!
09-22-2018 05:14 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall

09-22-2018 05:22 PM
stinkfist Offline

(09-22-2018 08:27 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(09-22-2018 06:10 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  taking a speech class should be mandatory by 5th grade....

My 10 year old (5th grade) is sitting in his room now preparing for his speech in front of his class about the book he finished reading. Those kids complaining need to grow up.

04-rock04-rock04-rock04-bow04-bow04-bow

from grade school, to the bar, to the board room, the one thing I realized early was, "if you know the material, there is nothing to fear."

while that may be rare to many, it's an art that can be acquired via dedication and training....

good for him and speaks volumes to you as a parent......well done!
09-22-2018 05:41 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
Good God poor snowflakes. What in the world will these babies do when an employer asks them to do something they don't like?
Get over it. The world does not revolve around you. Doing something you fear is how you conquer the fear.
09-22-2018 06:13 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
One of my grad school classmates had a terrible stutter. They made him do a presentation anyways. It was so obvious that it was embarrassing for him that it was painful to be in the audience.

But it did wonders for him. The next semester we all had to teach a real undergrad class. He won the award for the best teacher among graduate students.
09-23-2018 03:34 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(09-23-2018 03:34 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  One of my grad school classmates had a terrible stutter. They made him do a presentation anyways. It was so obvious that it was embarrassing for him that it was painful to be in the audience.

But it did wonders for him. The next semester we all had to teach a real undergrad class. He won the award for the best teacher among graduate students.

that's awesome and what teachers should strive to achieve....

@King George VI
09-23-2018 04:38 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(09-23-2018 03:34 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  One of my grad school classmates had a terrible stutter. They made him do a presentation anyways. It was so obvious that it was embarrassing for him that it was painful to be in the audience.

People often mistake stuttering for low intelligence that is an unfortunate stereotype.
09-23-2018 04:44 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
I feel a "diagnosis" of "select mutism" coming on....
09-23-2018 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stinkfist Offline

(09-23-2018 09:30 PM)blah Wrote:  I feel a "diagnosis" of "select mutism" coming on....

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

I miss your wry lisp.....
09-23-2018 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.