Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Professor Agreed, Then Refused to Give Student a Recommendation Letter When He...
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Professor Agreed, Then Refused to Give Student a Recommendation Letter When He...
Quote:A professor from the University of Michigan agreed to write a letter of recommendation for a student — until he realized it was for a study abroad trip to Israel.

The student, Abigail Ingber, snapped a screenshot of the message in which her professor, John Cheney-Lippold, told her that he would no longer be able to write her a recommendation letter.

A student group on the Michigan campus, Club Z, obtained the email and posted the screenshots.

[Image: 41931839_2379991492228536_80318329823460...e=5C16DEA8]

Club Z was outraged by the professor's boycott. It linked to the U.S. Department of Education and highlighted its new policy on universities related to the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) of Israel. The new policy forbids universities from applying a double standard on Israel compared to other democratic nations.

The professor responded to Club Z's post during an interview with The Michigan Daily.

“I support the boycott because I support solidarity," Cheney-Lippold said. ”[...] The idea is that I support communities who organize themselves and ask for international support to achieve equal rights, freedom and to prevent violations of international law."

Cheney-Lippold also denied that his decision was tied to anti-Semitism in any way, telling the Michigan Daily:

“I have no bad will against the student, and I would have very gladly written a letter for any other graduate program or study abroad. The idea is that I am just one person, and by refusing to write that letter or at least rescinding it, I tried to keep to my conscious and to the fact that I believe that the boycott is a good tactic to enhance human rights.”

“It is disappointing that a faculty member would allow their personal political beliefs to limit the support they are willing to otherwise provide for our students,” the Univesity of Michigan said in a statement. “We will engage our faculty colleagues in deep discussions to clarify how the expression of our shared values plays out in support of all students.”

The professor stated that he felt he couldn't breach his political beliefs to write the letter:

“As a professor, I'm not just a machine writing things for people. I have opinions and even though a letter of recommendation is about the student, a lot of thought goes into them. It's not a blank check where I'm signing for them to go to any place they want, it is a dialogue.”

Jonathan Greenblatt, the CEO for the Anti-Defamation League, tweeted his concern with the professor's decision:

Link
09-20-2018 12:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: Professor Agreed, Then Refused to Give Student a Recommendation Letter When He...
This is despicable. Instead of doing what professors used to do, inspire learning and developing young minds, he elects to use a student as a pawn in his political machinations. What a POS.
09-20-2018 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: Professor Agreed, Then Refused to Give Student a Recommendation Letter When He...
It's amazing the lengths theses modern day leftists will go.

I mean, the level of pure hate that it would take to screw a student over because they want to study abroad in an area that doesn't quite fit into your political narrative.....
09-20-2018 01:18 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Alt-leftism is a mental disorder.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 01:20 PM by Kronke.)
09-20-2018 01:19 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Send that bastard to the West Bank. He'll enjoy the rocket attack culture.
09-20-2018 01:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
This doesn't really bother me. As evil as the Palestinians are, the Israelis are doing things that make their lives more difficult. This type of step doesn't necessarily say "anti-semitism."
09-20-2018 01:27 PM
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Anti-Semitic piece of crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-20-2018 03:34 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
If that student, or any other, came to me, I'd give the letter of recommendation.
09-20-2018 03:40 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(09-20-2018 03:40 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  If that student, or any other, came to me, I'd give the letter of recommendation.

Now if after this, he refused to give a letter for any other institution, that WOULD be despicable.
09-20-2018 03:45 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Anybody else always do a double take on people with hyphenated last names?

I generally assume that person is weird as hell.
09-20-2018 04:50 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-20-2018 04:50 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Anybody else always do a double take on people with hyphenated last names?

Or he has two mommas.......and they are married to each other.
09-20-2018 05:05 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(09-20-2018 05:05 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(09-20-2018 04:50 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Anybody else always do a double take on people with hyphenated last names?

Or he has two mommas.......and they are married to each other.

There was this MBB player for Sand Diego St, Carlos Lopez. He was Carlos Lopez for at least two, maybe three seasons. Then in the last two or final season he was Carlos Lopez-Sosa. He added Sosa cause his mom wanted her last name out there. That was 4 years ago. He finally made it to the G-league in 2016 for one season, after playing overseas. Mom though he would be in the NBA.
09-20-2018 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

Don't forget the Stuart-Houstons.
09-21-2018 07:20 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Eh, I think the professor is an idiot, but whatever, it's his right to not write the letter of recommendation. I'm pretty sure the student can find another professor that's not so full of hate to write the recommendation letter.
09-21-2018 07:50 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
When will America's Jews who side with liberals realize that America's left is all about anti-semitism.
09-21-2018 09:40 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Y'all just don't get academia.

Letters are a potent source of power. They have to glow. If they fail to glow, it's a rejection. If this guy was really out to hurt this woman, he would have written that he didn't know her well but her grades looked good and she seemed nice enough. That's a killer reject letter, but it doesn't display your power since no one knows you ****** her over.

The yank-back, though, that's a classic power play. It shows his power, and it's probably a shot at her advisor. This is how the tenured elite fight, by smacking each other's pawns around, destroying their lives and careers because they can. So if he wanted a letter from the chick's advisor for one of his students and didn't get it, he yanked hers. Or he planned the yank from the start.

The BDS boycott was an excuse - how the hell do you not notice she's going to Tel Aviv? Of course he knew where she wanted to go. The "fallout" from this just increases the smack-level of his power play: now everyone knows he's an academic badass, and that the chick's advisor is a weakling who couldn't protect her from this awesome badassery.
09-21-2018 09:55 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

Dershowitz argues that it is a double standard. "...Imagine a white university professor telling a highly qualified African-American student that he refused to recommend her for a year-abroad program to an African country because he disapproved of the way that country treated its white minority. That professor would be ostracized, boycotted, reprimanded, disciplined or fired...."

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/40...rimination
09-21-2018 04:17 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Was taking a class from my advisor. There was a paper due at the end of the semester. Turned it in, later in the week he needed to see me. Went to his office where he said my paper sounded similar to one of the books I referenced, that it was almost plagiarism. Said he knew how I wrote and that was not my writing. (Which was BS, I had never written a paper for him before, cause he didn't require one in his other classes. The only thing that came close was from two separate observation write ups that I did in group settings both times.)

Had me rewrite it. I did. Following week, same thing happen again. Said it sounded too similar to the book.

At this point it's the Friday before finals. So I rewrote it again. Turned it in after I finished my final. Truth was his class wasn't do or die for me. I took it because the subject matter was interesting and I just needed the credits toward my degree, not the class itself. Was doing it so I could have an easier final semester with fewer classes (I had 2 semesters to go at this point). Got an A in the class.

After talking to some others in the same program, was told he could be vindictive about things. I wasn't the first one to have that done to.

Then it hits me, nearly 2 weeks before I turned my paper in, I met with him for advisement on my classes for the next semester. He asks why I switched degree plans? I tell him nicely that I switched degree plans, because the Head of the department advised me to do so. As had the people at the Advising center (This was used by freshman and others until they found a degree program, or what I'm about to tell you.)

---

Back up to the Previous semester finals week: I called my advisor from my apartment, as I was getting a D in Spanish 3 (final for it had taken place the week before. Grad Student teacher emailed everyone their grades.)

The degree plan I was on at that time required 4 semesters of the same foreign language. I had already signed up for Spanish 4 for the next semester, which was why I called my advisor to find out how I could change to a Spanish 3 class, enrollment for the next semester had ended.

My advisor told me I just needed to contact the advisement center, explain my situation and they could take care of changing the classes. He transferred the call to the advisement center.

I explain my situation to a guy. After which he pulls up my degree plan and says that my department now only requires two semesters of a foreign language. (I was in disbelief. I took a class and failed a class I did not need!)

The guy continued that I needed to just change my degree plan. He couldn't do it, only a professor in my department could. Before he transferred me back to my department, I asked why the language requirements changed. He said there were a lot of complaints about the foreign language department on how they were failing to teach foreign languages. So the college my department was in, the year before said it was up to each department to decide the amount of language classes would be required for their students.

My call was transferred to the secretary of my department. I explain everything to her. I ask to be transferred to my advisor. She says its better if I talk to the Head of the department. Before I can utter another word she transfers me. I talk to the head of the department, explain everything. He changes my degree plan. Has me confirm it on my end through my.nmsu.edu account. Which I do, everything is great. He recommends some classes to take instead. Thank him and hang up.

I sit back relieved to get that all taken care of.

---

Back to me sitting in front of my advisor: I've told him why degree plan was switched. He's like ok. Doesn't seemed bothered by it. I explain all classes I'd like to take the next semester. He agree's, lifts the hold on my account so I can register the following week. Week after that, everything happens with my paper.

It sucked because I liked my advisor. I would go to the head of the department till I graduated for advising.

You see the degree plan I was on was one that was put together when my former advisor was head of the department. The only difference between it and the newer one was the language requirements were 2 semester instead of 4 and a one semester class that was no longer offered. (I was in the last class before it was discontinued.)

This is the only thing that made since back then and it still does today.

(Side note: NMSU's Language classes were the only thing I really disliked during my time there. It was a joke of a department. You went four days a week to classes that were taught mostly by grad students (Had one from the mid-west who had trouble herself speaking it). They spoke the foreign language from the start until the end of class. They refereed to it as immersion, when its not.)
09-21-2018 06:44 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
and I've been accused of being an anti-Semite when I've stated time and again I should've been born a Jew.....

it's 'redwing' Ann Arbor.....so there's there's that.....

just wow....
09-21-2018 07:17 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
Sounds like a nice guy
09-22-2018 02:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.