http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...ness-index
09-19-2018 08:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Happiest and least happy football fan bases thus far
LSU has to be #1. They've beaten Miami and Auburn so far, and this by a team that even the rabid local fans expected about 5 losses from. That may still happen, but right now they are on cloud nine.

(09-19-2018 08:51 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Top 5:
1. Cincinnati
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
5. Clemson

Bottom 5:
126. Central Michigan
127. Kansas
128. Bowling Green
129. New Mexico State
130. Miami

03-banghead

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 06:39 AM by quo vadis.)
09-19-2018 09:57 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
both sides of the Jimbo Fisher deal...

happiest Texas A&M
least happy Florida St
09-19-2018 11:35 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
KU fan are pretty damn happy.
09-19-2018 11:59 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(09-19-2018 08:51 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Bottom 5:
126. Central Michigan
127. Kansas
128. Bowling Green
129. New Mexico State
130. Miami
NB. That is Miami University at 130 out of 130. It's two-steps-removed namesake, the University of Miami down in Florida, is at 16 out of 130.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 04:58 AM by BruceMcF.)
09-20-2018 04:55 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-19-2018 11:35 PM)stever20 Wrote:  both sides of the Jimbo Fisher deal...

happiest Texas A&M
least happy Florida St

I believe Taggart will have FSU winning big again pretty soon, that's been his modus wherever he's gone, start slow but then pick up steam.

Problem for him is that at FSU, they don't believe in "rebuilding", they expect to be good every year because, well, for almost 40 years they pretty much have been. Since the late 70s, probably no major program has had fewer bad seasons than FSU. So the pressure cooker is really on for him.

That said, I said I thought Fisher was underrated by the FSU fans. He restored FSU to top-level glory after the relative fall-off of the last Bowden years, and they kind of took him for granted.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 06:38 AM by quo vadis.)
09-20-2018 06:35 AM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Iowa State at 90?

Doubt Cyclone fans are all that unhappy with close 10-point losses to top 5 Oklahoma and at (should be top 25) Iowa. Probably more upset the school already scheduled Incarnate Word the day of the BXII title game.
09-20-2018 07:09 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
Kansas fans would be ecstatic right now. Two consecutive wins against FBS schools including trouncing a Big 10 school (sure it's Rutgers, but you take what you can get.)

(09-19-2018 09:57 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  LSU has to be #1. They've beaten Miami and Auburn so far, and this by a team that even the rabid local fans expected about 5 losses from. That may still happen, but right now they are on cloud nine.

1. Cincinnati
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
5. Clemson

Bottom 5:
126. Central Michigan
127. Kansas
128. Bowling Green
129. New Mexico State
130. Miami

03-banghead

09-20-2018 07:25 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(09-20-2018 06:35 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-19-2018 11:35 PM)stever20 Wrote:  both sides of the Jimbo Fisher deal...

happiest Texas A&M
least happy Florida St

I believe Taggart will have FSU winning big again pretty soon, that's been his modus wherever he's gone, start slow but then pick up steam.

Problem for him is that at FSU, they don't believe in "rebuilding", they expect to be good every year because, well, for almost 40 years they pretty much have been. Since the late 70s, probably no major program has had fewer bad seasons than FSU. So the pressure cooker is really on for him.

That said, I said I thought Fisher was underrated by the FSU fans. He restored FSU to top-level glory after the relative fall-off of the last Bowden years, and they kind of took him for granted.

Fisher did win a natty at FSU, but dadgum it, he also ran off all of the good assistant coaches (while retaining all of the bad ones) and he stayed one year too long! IMO it's way too early to judge his reign at Texas A&M - he started out good at FSU, too!
09-20-2018 07:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
As an NMSU fan, I do not think that we are least happy, most people knew this was a year that all of the seniors that were so instrumental last season, winning record, bowl win, etc were gone. Lots of growing pains. Did I expect them to get blown out by UNM, no, but am I surprised, no.
09-20-2018 07:56 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
1. Cincinnati
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
5. Clemson

Bottom 5:
126. Central Michigan
127. Kansas
128. Bowling Green
129. New Mexico State
130. Miami

03-banghead

#1 and #130 are because they count "recent record in closest rivalry" as 1/6th of the points. UC and Miami are considered each other's closest rivals in their score. And UC has won 13 in a row.

However, UC considers Louisville and Xavier as our closest rivals, so it's not really an accurate score IMO. Does Miami still consider UC their biggest rival? We're each others' oldest rivals, but not really the most important rivals.
09-20-2018 08:08 AM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
Man, I feel bad for the fans of those other nine teams if ODU is only #121 on this list.
09-20-2018 08:24 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-19-2018 11:59 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  KU fan are pretty damn happy.

Except the ones whose only goal for the season was seeing Beatty let go. They have to be worried. 03-lmfao
09-20-2018 08:50 AM
mpurdy22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miami (OH)
(09-20-2018 08:08 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
1. Cincinnati
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
5. Clemson

Bottom 5:
126. Central Michigan
127. Kansas
128. Bowling Green
129. New Mexico State
130. Miami

03-banghead

#1 and #130 are because they count "recent record in closest rivalry" as 1/6th of the points. UC and Miami are considered each other's closest rivals in their score. And UC has won 13 in a row.

However, UC considers Louisville and Xavier as our closest rivals, so it's not really an accurate score IMO. Does Miami still consider UC their biggest rival? We're each others' oldest rivals, but not really the most important rivals.

Certainly for Miami fans, U.C. is our biggest rival (or at least equal to Ohio), but we can't seem to get the Victory Bell back even after being favored the last two contests. I am beginning to think we will never get it back. I can see where U.C. fans no longer view us a rival anymore. After winning 13 in a row, its embarassing as a Miami fan.
09-20-2018 09:39 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-20-2018 07:42 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Fisher did win a natty at FSU, but dadgum it, he also ran off all of the good assistant coaches (while retaining all of the bad ones) and he stayed one year too long! IMO it's way too early to judge his reign at Texas A&M - he started out good at FSU, too!

No question, we can't judge Jimbo at TAMU based on a couple games. I mean for crissakes, he's getting praised right now for a "moral victory" (e.g., a LOSS) versus Clemson.

We've seen how that goes: In 2005 Charlie Weis had a "moral victory" versus USC, the Bush-Push game, and parlayed that in to a massive contract that I don't think Notre Dame finished paying off until 8 years after Weis was fired for his ineptitude.

But on the other hand, I recall a weak 2007 Alabama team taking eventual national champ LSU down to the wire. It was a moral victory for Nick Saban, one that did turn out to be a harbinger of good things to come. You just don't know.

As for Fisher at FSU, when did he jump the shark? IMO, never. I mean remember, Fisher not only won the national championship, he also won two Orange Bowls, in 2012 and 2016, and took FSU to the Rose and Peach bowls as well. 2017 was the only bad year he had there, and that was an injury-riddled year.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 10:13 AM by quo vadis.)
09-20-2018 10:12 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
one thing with Fisher is that part of why A&M loves him is he brought back "real football" if you will. I know in the spring game the TE caught a 7 yard pass and the place went absolutely bonkers- because before they never used a tight end in the old systems.
09-20-2018 10:29 AM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(09-20-2018 08:24 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  Man, I feel bad for the fans of those other nine teams if ODU is only #121 on this list.

Dame, if the team does not look good Saturday, we should be on the list.
We feel your misery mturn017.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 10:47 AM by Steve1981.)
09-20-2018 10:46 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-20-2018 07:42 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Fisher did win a natty at FSU, but dadgum it, he also ran off all of the good assistant coaches (while retaining all of the bad ones) and he stayed one year too long!

The quality of an entire coaching staff from top to bottom is a topic that the sports media should talk about more often, instead of focusing so much on head coaches. This is just one of many examples of a head coach's tenure fading because good assistants leave and their replacements aren't as good, or because the head coach hangs on too long to assistants that are just treading water.
09-20-2018 10:59 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-20-2018 09:39 AM)mpurdy22 Wrote:  
1. Cincinnati
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
5. Clemson

Bottom 5:
126. Central Michigan
127. Kansas
128. Bowling Green
129. New Mexico State
130. Miami

03-banghead

Certainly for Miami fans, U.C. is our biggest rival (or at least equal to Ohio), but we can't seem to get the Victory Bell back even after being favored the last two contests. I am beginning to think we will never get it back. I can see where U.C. fans no longer view us a rival anymore. After winning 13 in a row, its embarassing as a Miami fan.

Miami is a rivalry for us - that's why we keep playing you every year. But it was never bigger than Xavier, and it hasn't been bigger than Louisville for decades.

Too bad for us. Our #1 rival dropped football. Our #2 rival was forced to choose between us and their own #1 rival (Kentucky) so they don't play us anymore. And our #3 rival decided to start sucking after Big Ben left.

What's college football without rivalries? Become a UC fan if you want to find out.
09-20-2018 02:36 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-20-2018 02:36 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(09-20-2018 09:39 AM)mpurdy22 Wrote:  
1. Cincinnati
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama
5. Clemson

Bottom 5:
126. Central Michigan
127. Kansas
128. Bowling Green
129. New Mexico State
130. Miami

03-banghead

Miami is a rivalry for us - that's why we keep playing you every year. But it was never bigger than Xavier, and it hasn't been bigger than Louisville for decades.

Too bad for us. Our #1 rival dropped football. Our #2 rival was forced to choose between us and their own #1 rival (Kentucky) so they don't play us anymore. And our #3 rival decided to start sucking after Big Ben left.

What's college football without rivalries? Become a UC fan if you want to find out.

I tried posted on this earlier but deleted a couple times because it came across poorly. This is a much more diplomatic description of the situation. I was a student in the early/mid 1990s, and even then with Miami having the upper hand the series did not have the same "juice" as Xavier and Louisville.

TBH, I am not sure if UC students of today and from the past 10 years will ever consider Miami a rival. The programs are at such different places from everything from financial investment, student/alumni engagement, game day experience, etc. What's more, UC has aspired itself since 2004 to be eventually playing "at the highest level", while Miami has not.

There still is a schedule of games played out to 2029. Right now it is on a 1-1-1 basis: one game at each locale and one neutral site game (Paul Brown Stadium). With all things being equal, this series would have ended this decade had the Big East football conference not blown up UC will continue to have a series with Miami-- but IMHO very reluctantly.
09-20-2018 02:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.