Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did Southern Miss duck App State?
Bookmark and Share
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
A lot of posters on the Sunbelt board believe so. Rumblings that multiple offers to move the time and location were made by App but all were rebuffed.

What's the word on this side of the situation?

(I was personally of the opinion that the game shouldn't have been played to allow first responders to move east to help with Florence so this isn't an attack, I'm genuinely curious what everyone here thinks)
09-17-2018 04:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Did Southern Miss duck App State?
We’ve heard App was so scared to play USM that they actually paid the Golden Eagles an undisclosed amount (though I have it on good authority that it’s in the hundreds of dollars) to call the game off.
09-17-2018 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(09-17-2018 05:03 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  We’ve heard App was so scared to play USM that they actually paid the Golden Eagles an undisclosed amount (though I have it on good authority that it’s in the hundreds of dollars) to call the game off.

I heard it was two pigs, a jug of shine and the best looking girl they could find

[Image: Extremely-Fat-Woman.jpg]

When S. Miss saw the girl they almost agreed to play the game in New Bern NC...

then the shine kicked in and the S. Miss AD said..."She's mine" I go first
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018 05:36 PM by WKUYG.)
09-17-2018 05:17 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-17-2018 04:56 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  A lot of posters on the Sunbelt board believe so. Rumblings that multiple offers to move the time and location were made by App but all were rebuffed.

(I was personally of the opinion that the game shouldn't have been played to allow first responders to move east to help with Florence so this isn't an attack, I'm genuinely curious what everyone here thinks)

Those rumors were probably started as a he said she said and evolved into this

All likelihood is a combination of what you said and the fact that, at the time, it was predicted that would have flown into or out of Charlotte and then have to drive to Boone in less than ideal conditions potentially leaving the team stranded.
09-17-2018 05:18 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

Nobody expected that storm to sit over eastern NC as long as it did and it wasn't so much about game-time conditions but about emergency personnel and weather conditions for flying out. Erring on the side of caution was the right decision.
09-17-2018 05:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SaltyEagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USM
Absolutely not. I’ll give 2 pieces of evidence...

1) USM has lost to far worse teams than APPY

2) who would really think less of us at this point?
09-17-2018 05:56 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-17-2018 04:56 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  A lot of posters on the Sunbelt board believe so. Rumblings that multiple offers to move the time and location were made by App but all were rebuffed.

I guess the 97 college games that were cancelled or postponed because of the Hurricane all of those visiting teams "Ducked" the home team.

The water in and around Boone must be tainted with some stupid agent.
09-17-2018 06:58 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Whatever you want to think, go for it. Just know we might be from Mississippi, but given our history with Hurricanes, we aren't dumb enough to fly into a Hurricane area. If you guys want to thank we dodged you, no problem with me. By the way, USM fans are big fans of App State. What you did against Penn State was incredible. We were tore up you didn't get the win.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018 07:31 PM by usmbacker.)
09-17-2018 07:21 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
The other thing you (App St) have to take into consideration is this. We actually have an insurance contract that protects us in the event of outright cancelation.

It may just be that Southern Miss is a taking this position (pro-cancel) and App St needs the gate.

It's not unreasonable.

I certainly understand App St being frustrated. I get it. But there's no reason for Southern Miss to "duck" you. It's just business at this point.

If a reasonable a schedule adjustment could have been made, Southern Miss would honor it. I'm 100% sure it isn't based on fear.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018 08:16 PM by rileylives.)
09-17-2018 07:23 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

We’ll see you guys in Boone in 2023, first opening, I’d imagine. Looking forward to it.
09-17-2018 08:20 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
So there will be no game this year? I thought both teams just happened to be open on 6 October. Wouldn't that have been the date to play the game?
09-17-2018 08:37 PM
Advertisement

moss2k Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
(09-17-2018 05:24 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Nobody expected that storm to sit over eastern NC as long as it did and it wasn't so much about game-time conditions but about emergency personnel and weather conditions for flying out. Erring on the side of caution was the right decision.

You might want to check out Brad Panovich, he was all over the slow movement that would come as we got closer to the storm.

Fortunately ODU evacuated Norfolk in time for us to be able to move the game up.
09-17-2018 08:40 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

We will have to duck Alabama, Auburn, and Mississippi State first before we can come up there in 2023.....sheesh.....
09-17-2018 08:41 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I don’t want to play USM during conference play. The only weekend it works would be CCG weekend and I hope that isn’t an option for us.
09-17-2018 10:06 PM
moss2k Offline
Special Teams

(09-17-2018 10:06 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  I don’t want to play USM during conference play. The only weekend it works would be CCG weekend and I hope that isn’t an option for us.

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-17-2018 10:36 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

Would also require Arkansas State agreeing to move a midweek espn2 appearance to a Saturday when the game likely wouldn't be on tv all to do us a favor. Not impossible but unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
09-18-2018 12:51 AM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(09-17-2018 08:41 PM)nastybunch Wrote:  We will have to duck Alabama, Auburn, and Mississippi State first before we can come up there in 2023.....sheesh.....

Ducking ‘Bama may not be a half bad idea, considering how they have treated UAB. But ‘Bama has been good to USM over the years, so maybe it’s a bad idea.

Even though I am a fan of one of Auburn’s biggest rivals, I can tell you Auburn people in general are good, if not great people. I believe USM should honor the Auburn contract.

Mississippi State would be the one team I can legitimately say I wouldn’t mind USM ducking. MSU has done it to USM over the years, so turnabout is fair play, right???
09-18-2018 01:04 AM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

clt says southern miss was concerned about the appys taking 105% of all available seats as they are apt to do
09-18-2018 06:43 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-17-2018 08:37 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  So there will be no game this year? I thought both teams just happened to be open on 6 October. Wouldn't that have been the date to play the game?

yeah....I'm not getting why this hasn't been officially announced....

it's a dayum tap-in....

it's still listed as "postponed"....

and fwiw, I had 330/300 BET AGAINST US.....

I also have Rice this weekend....

2018/09/17
06:33:00 PM 55783543 ATW
Football - NCAA
[367] Rice 09/22/2018 (06:00 PM) (Pending)
+14½ Points -110 for the Game
Straight 550.00 500.00
09-18-2018 06:44 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

Look how far USM has fallen that App St would think we are afraid to play them.
09-18-2018 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.