Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PigDog...how could it happen?
Bookmark and Share
pjfleck82 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, XFL 2001
PigDog...how could it happen?
I became tired of having to sit on my hands on the West side so I decided to relocate my season tickets to the East side prior to the 2017 season. With the move came the unfortunate opportunity to walk by and be closer to the PigDog statue. I had read some of the disdain for the statue on this board in the past but I never really got an up close look at the statue until recently.

That has to be the ugliest looking pack of Huskies imaginable. You could have bronzed RC’s face and put it on one of the dogs and it wouldn’t have looked as heinous. Honest to God, who signed off on this eyesore? Who designed it…Helen Keller Jr.? What was NIU thinking commissioning this project? To see people taking pictures next to thing like it’s the Santo statue at Wrigley is an embarrassment.

Thank goodness for the beautiful Diesel statue on the West side…that was nicely done and a fitting tribute to a great mascot. PigDog needs to go!
09-17-2018 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: PigDog...how could it happen?
[Image: yc-main.jpg]
09-17-2018 02:16 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(09-17-2018 02:12 PM)pjfleck82 Wrote:  I became tired of having to sit on my hands on the West side so I decided to relocate my season tickets to the East side prior to the 2017 season. With the move came the unfortunate opportunity to walk by and be closer to the PigDog statue. I had read some of the disdain for the statue on this board in the past but I never really got an up close look at the statue until recently.

That has to be the ugliest looking pack of Huskies imaginable. You could have bronzed RC’s face and put it on one of the dogs and it wouldn’t have looked as heinous. Honest to God, who signed off on this eyesore? Who designed it…Helen Keller Jr.? What was NIU thinking commissioning this project? To see people taking pictures next to thing like it’s the Santo statue at Wrigley is an embarrassment.

Thank goodness for the beautiful Diesel statue on the West side…that was nicely done and a fitting tribute to a great mascot. PigDog needs to go!

Are you talking about the pack of dogs outside the Chessick Center or the PigDog (single dog) inside the stadium in the north endzone? The pack of dogs outside was done by Renee Bemis, the artist who did Diesel. IMO, the pack looks nice. I think everyone agrees with you about the PigDog.
09-17-2018 02:19 PM
pjfleck82 Offline
All American

(09-17-2018 02:19 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(09-17-2018 02:12 PM)pjfleck82 Wrote:  I became tired of having to sit on my hands on the West side so I decided to relocate my season tickets to the East side prior to the 2017 season. With the move came the unfortunate opportunity to walk by and be closer to the PigDog statue. I had read some of the disdain for the statue on this board in the past but I never really got an up close look at the statue until recently.

Are you talking about the pack of dogs outside the Chessick Center or the PigDog (single dog) inside the stadium in the north endzone? The pack of dogs outside was done by Renee Bemis, the artist who did Diesel. IMO, the pack looks nice. I think everyone agrees with you about the PigDog.

Thank you. I shouldn't have said "pack." I did mean the single dog and not the three running huskies. PigDog is just so cheesy and silly. What a joke.
09-17-2018 02:33 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(09-17-2018 02:33 PM)pjfleck82 Wrote:  
(09-17-2018 02:19 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Thank you. I shouldn't have said "pack." I did mean the single dog and not the three running huskies. PigDog is just so cheesy and silly. What a joke.

Yes, it's one of the worst things I have ever seen. It has been an embarrassment since day 1.
09-17-2018 02:37 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh

you left out the fact the tail look likes its giving everyone the finger. I don't think it was an accident.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018 02:44 PM by calvin12.)
09-17-2018 02:44 PM
Advertisement

prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
I always hoped it would grow on me.

Can they move another one of those statues in to replace PigDog? Can they sell it to U of Arkansas?
09-17-2018 07:27 PM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

That was green lite by Coach Novak and he started the tradition of touching it as the players walk by. That part of the history had given me cause to accept it. It’s not pretty but that kind of represents our program too.
09-17-2018 08:27 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The key mistake was in the core idea of making a statue of the logo huskie. Once that choice was made, this was the only possible outcome.
09-18-2018 10:56 AM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
I think it is time to Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.
09-18-2018 11:01 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

I would go back to the West Side now, the atmosphere over there is now 3X better than East side with the decline of students. It got VERY loud on West side for the Utah game.
09-18-2018 11:50 AM
Advertisement

pjfleck82 Offline
All American

(09-18-2018 11:50 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

I would go back to the West Side now, the atmosphere over there is now 3X better than East side with the decline of students. It got VERY loud on West side for the Utah game.

Happy to hear the West Side has gotten loud. I don't mind the East Side because it's cheaper for season tixs but it does suck for the super cold games since you can't go into the bowels of Huskie Stadium like on the West Side.
09-18-2018 03:15 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago

Except if you want to stand on 3rd down.
09-18-2018 05:17 PM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
West sider here, and we stand on most third downs and no one says a thing.
09-18-2018 06:26 PM
murph83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(09-18-2018 06:26 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  West sider here, and we stand on most third downs and no one says a thing.

Thank you. We've been standing for 3rd down on the west side since 2000 and no one has said a word.
09-18-2018 06:48 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(09-18-2018 05:17 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  

The entire west side was up on every 3rd down vs Utah. It was an insanely great atmosphere
09-18-2018 06:54 PM
Advertisement

MMBOANIU Offline
2nd String

West side was great during Utah. East side was somewhat quiet against CMU. Ended up in beer section and the few there made a lot of noise.
09-18-2018 07:25 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(09-18-2018 06:26 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  West sider here, and we stand on most third downs and no one says a thing.
West sider here too and I stand as well but plenty of others just sit. I do try to get out of their way but after awhile we all need to get loud otherwise we might as well be at home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
09-18-2018 08:23 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(09-18-2018 06:54 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

The entire west side was up on every 3rd down vs Utah. It was an insanely great atmosphere

I must have been in front of the one lady who hissed if you stood up.
09-18-2018 08:40 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-18-2018 08:40 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 06:54 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

I must have been in front of the one lady who hissed if you stood up.

I've seen plenty of people on here say they've had issues with standing up and having someone tell them to sit down. I guess it just depends who you're sitting in front of. I'm in section B and didn't have any issues the last couple games.
09-19-2018 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.