ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Hasn't Declined From 2017
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Football Hasn't Declined From 2017
This is an interesting read, and, at least for me, opens my eyes.
Many here, including myself, have have questioned how we could have declined so much since last season.
If you look closely, the answer is that we haven't declined.
What we haven't done so far is to improve.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/04/...eview-2018

Last year that our secondary was porous.
It is still as porous.
Last year that our defensive depth was questionable.
The injury to Miles Fox this year certainly showed how much fall-off there is, even on our DL.

Without Ray Lawry our running was poor
It is still poor.
Our OL was slow last year.
It is still slow.
Our passing was poor last year.
It is still poor - only slightly better because of Duhart and at WR overall, but without the expected improvement from SW.

Special teams including kicking were poor.
They are still poor.

While many our opponents have gotten better, we have not, save for WR. Those who declined (WKU) likely have not come down to our level.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 03:44 PM by ODUalum78.)
09-15-2018 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Football Hasn't Declined From 2017
Overall we have declined because in the off season others got better we did not. Last year this staff and trainers knew our weaknesses and did nothing to improve them. I think the word decline is relative to others. To me it is a HUGE decline to get beat (no asswhopped) by Liberty, and get beat by FIU and UNCC. BW job is to ensure we continue to progress and get better as a program. He has FAILED !
09-15-2018 01:17 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

You should cut all ties to ODU, its athletic programs and most importantly fan forums just to show your displeasure.
09-15-2018 01:25 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-15-2018 01:25 PM)Grommet Wrote:  You should cut all ties to ODU, its athletic programs and most importantly fan forums just to show your displeasure.

Right...just because people are realistic and speak truth doesn't mean they don't support the program. Just like some have already left. Perhaps to show your pleasure...Maybe you should considered upping your donation level by $5 to $10K to show your support. Why do you feel the need to tell others what to do? Why don't you add to the post by discussing the topic instead of attacking others.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 02:18 PM by Mr.BigBlue.)
09-15-2018 02:16 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

78...When you think about the Experience level of this team (one of the top 15 most senior teams in FBS), How could this not be seen as a decline ? Most are pissed because last year you could see the holes and I expected them to be filled this year with such a senior team and more depth. I am looking at UAB now playing Tulane. UAB has progressed and improved dramatically from basically starting from scratch.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 02:33 PM by Mr.BigBlue.)
09-15-2018 02:33 PM
ODUalum78 Online

(09-15-2018 02:33 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  78...When you think about the Experience level of this team (one of the top 15 most senior teams in FBS), How could this not be seen as a decline ? Most are pissed because last year you could see the holes and I expected them to be filled this year with such a senior team and more depth. I am looking at UAB now playing Tulane. UAB has progressed and improved dramatically from basically starting from scratch.

Maybe I was talking to myself more than anyone else.

It is certainly frustrating to see UAB improve so rapidly.
It is certainly frustrating to see a younger program, UNCC, with lesser athletes run a much more sophisticated offense.

It is certainly frustrating to see a lack of development of the OL since 2013
It is certainly frustrating to see a lack of development at QB since TH.

It is more than frustrating to see only a minimal development of defense since well, forever....
09-15-2018 02:48 PM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-15-2018 02:48 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 02:33 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  78...When you think about the Experience level of this team (one of the top 15 most senior teams in FBS), How could this not be seen as a decline ? Most are pissed because last year you could see the holes and I expected them to be filled this year with such a senior team and more depth. I am looking at UAB now playing Tulane. UAB has progressed and improved dramatically from basically starting from scratch.

It is certainly frustrating to see a younger program, UNCC, with lesser athletes run a much more sophisticated offense.

It is more than frustrating to see only a minimal development of defense since well, forever....

Exactly ! We could get away with it in FCS. in FBS and with our schedule you are not. So tell me how this is not about coaching, recruiting, and player development ?
09-15-2018 02:59 PM
ODUalum78 Online

(09-15-2018 02:59 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

Exactly ! We could get away with it in FCS. in FBS and with our schedule you are not. So tell me how this is not about coaching, recruiting, and player development ?

Well of course it is, I have said so.

We have one or two posters here that cannot possibly see anything but perfection within our program, and one or two who would like nothing better than to see it eliminated in favor of a new golf course

I try to be realistic 03-old
09-15-2018 03:22 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2018 03:22 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

We have one or two posters here that cannot possibly see anything but perfection within our program, and one or two who would like nothing better than to see it eliminated in favor of a new golf course

Well said and add to that list folks that are sour because they think FB ruined the Basketball which is not really true but the blame has to be put somewhere. I am not much of a BB fan but i would like to see all our sports flourish and if we can find a capable AD, they might be able to figure out how to accomplish that with out making it look like they are spoiling one for the sake of other. Frankly its not playing regional schools or FCS or for that matter FBS schools that brings us relevance, its winning and winning against big programs that will get us where we wanted to be but right now we are fighting to win games vs the likes of UNCC et al and we need to figure out something and quick. Why does someone think its necessary to have Volleyball while we are struggling to pay decent salaries to the sports that generate revenue. I am not advocating to not support existing sports but don't bring in new ones while we figure out how to best support the existing ones. Wood Selig needs to attend AD 101.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 03:36 PM by 12thmonarch.)
09-15-2018 03:35 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(09-15-2018 03:35 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Well said and add to that list folks that are sour because they think FB ruined the Basketball which is not really true but the blame has to be put somewhere. I am not much of a BB fan but i would like to see all our sports flourish and if we can find a capable AD, they might be able to figure out how to accomplish that with out making it look like they are spoiling one for the sake of other. Frankly its not playing regional schools or FCS or for that matter FBS schools that brings us relevance, its winning and winning against big programs that will get us where we wanted to be but right now we are fighting to win games vs the likes of UNCC et al and we need to figure out something and quick. Why does someone think its necessary to have Volleyball while we are struggling to pay decent salaries to the sports that generate revenue. I am not advocating to not support existing sports but don't bring in new ones while we figure out how to best support the existing ones. Wood Selig needs to attend AD 101.

We happen to be one of three schools in FBS that don't have a volleyball program. You can't just sit around and decide not to add a sport until our football team gets better. When the decision to add volleyball was made it was long before this diasater of a football season was underway.
09-15-2018 03:59 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2018 03:59 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 02:48 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Maybe I was talking to myself more than anyone else.

We happen to be one of three schools in FBS that don't have a volleyball program. You can't just sit around and decide not to add a sport until our football team gets better. When the decision to add volleyball was made it was long before this diasater of a football season was underway.

Right that makes a lot of sense how? and I am talking about more than this disastrous FB season. There are a lot of things that we don't have that the rest of the FBS does. We can't afford good salaries to both FB and Basketball staff but we are bringing Volleyball online because we decided it sometime ago. It doesn't make a goddamed sense to me may be I need to brush up on my common sense 101.
09-15-2018 04:40 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

The irrating and inexplicable portion of our team is that we have seen a slow improvement on the defensive side and into FBS. Every year we’ve gotten a little better. Even last year we improved despite the numerous injuries to the secondary. Se returned almost everyone and have an extremely experienced defensive team. Then, somehow our defense fell off despite stellar play from Ximenes and Garner. Im not sure what is going on with the remaining DL and secondary.

Our offense has seen slight improvement from last year (not as much as we expected), but the defense has really let us down. The bend but not break defense wprks well if you get stops in the red zone and create turnovers. We have done neither this year
09-15-2018 04:49 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2018 04:49 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The irrating and inexplicable portion of our team is that we have seen a slow improvement on the defensive side and into FBS. Every year we’ve gotten a little better. Even last year we improved despite the numerous injuries to the secondary. Se returned almost everyone and have an extremely experienced defensive team. Then, somehow our defense fell off despite stellar play from Ximenes and Garner. Im not sure what is going on with the remaining DL and secondary.

Our offense has seen slight improvement from last year (not as much as we expected), but the defense has really let us down. The bend but not break defense wprks well if you get stops in the red zone and create turnovers. We have done neither this year

I find it hard to believe that last year's team wouldn't be 3-0 right now. FIU was better last year, and we beat them at their place. Look at what Charlotte and Liberty did to the D this year. Last year that doesn't happen.

When comparing last year to this year in terms of numbers, we also need to consider the quality of the competition. We have yet to play a decent team this year. Just because we made them look like Alabama doesn't mean that they are good.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 05:04 PM by ODUBB35.)
09-15-2018 05:04 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2018 03:59 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 02:48 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Maybe I was talking to myself more than anyone else.

I'm guessing volleyball is Title 9 driven. nothing more.
09-15-2018 05:07 PM
ODUalum78 Online

(09-15-2018 04:49 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The irrating and inexplicable portion of our team is that we have seen a slow improvement on the defensive side and into FBS. Every year we’ve gotten a little better. Even last year we improved despite the numerous injuries to the secondary. Se returned almost everyone and have an extremely experienced defensive team. Then, somehow our defense fell off despite stellar play from Ximenes and Garner. Im not sure what is going on with the remaining DL and secondary.

Since 2014 has given up:

2014 455.5 yds/game 4.7 TDs/game
2015 437.8 yds/game 4.3 TDs/game
2016 383.9 yds/game 3.5 TDs/game
2017 427.5 yds/game 4.1 TDs/game

Not so coincidentally our best FBS defense corresponded with our David Washington/ Ray Lawry offense.
09-15-2018 05:54 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

(09-15-2018 05:54 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Since 2014 has given up:

Not so coincidentally our best FBS defense corresponded with our David Washington/ Ray Lawry offense.

Time of possession?
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 06:22 PM by Grommet.)
09-15-2018 06:21 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online

(09-15-2018 06:21 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 05:54 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Since 2014 has given up:

Time of possession?

That wasn't listed but I am sure that explained 2016, hence my remark of "not so coincidentally".

04-cheers
09-15-2018 06:34 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

Watching portions of N. Dakota at Sam Houston State. Both of these teams would kick our teeth in.
09-15-2018 08:18 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Crybabies in our fan base has increased from 2017.
09-15-2018 08:40 PM
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

Yes. We are all crybabies. Silly of us to expect not to start the season 0-4 and get blown out by liberty

Sent from my SM-G930V using CSNbbs mobile app
09-15-2018 08:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.