Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WVB
OldOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
WVB
Great win over Old Miss 3 -1. That is two wins over SEC teams. I hope the ladies are gaining confidence for upcoming conference play.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018 09:46 PM by OldOwl.)
09-14-2018 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

temchugh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice
RE: WVB
The win over South Carolina looks like the best of the season, so far. South Carolina finished their non-conference schedule with a record of 9-1. Rice is their only loss.

Austin Peay also beat Old Miss yesterday. Rice vs. Austin Peay this morning should be interesting.
09-15-2018 06:58 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
We've played well against some good teams (the two SEC wins and really the losses at Texas Tech and Baylor were very competitive). But we also have some bad losses (vs Texas State and at SFA - probably both are decent teams but you need to win those if you want to be an NCAA team).

BTW, prayers for a full and quick recovery go out to Western Kentucky's Alyssa Cavanaugh. She was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 22 - something similar to the Texas basketball player last year (Andrew Jones).

https://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball-wom...l-american
09-15-2018 07:10 AM
NYNightOwl Offline
NYOwl

Owls beat Peay 3-1
09-15-2018 01:10 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

Lady Owls are on a roll. Beat UTSA 3-1 who had a pretty good team.[/u]
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2018 08:49 PM by OldOwl.)
09-28-2018 08:11 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Big win for Rice (12-4, 3-0) vs WKU (12-6, 3-1)!
25-15, 24-26, 25-22, 25-21

Edit: I believe WKU had won like 57 home conference matches until today.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2018 02:02 PM by dragon2owl.)
09-30-2018 01:58 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(09-30-2018 01:58 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Big win for Rice (12-4, 3-0) vs WKU (12-6, 3-1)!
25-15, 24-26, 25-22, 25-21

Edit: I believe WKU had won like 57 home conference matches until today.

Wow. Nice job.
09-30-2018 02:06 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Wow, big win for them. I wonder if we might be receiving votes in the top 25 this week? Two of our four losses are to top-25 teams (or teams receiving votes in Baylor and Texas Tech) and both of those losses were very close.
09-30-2018 02:15 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(09-30-2018 02:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Wow, big win for them. I wonder if we might be receiving votes in the top 25 this week? Two of our four losses are to top-25 teams (or teams receiving votes in Baylor and Texas Tech) and both of those losses were very close.

Huge win for the Owls, finally beating Western Kentucky - and on the road too! After the Texas State and SFA losses I was ready to give up on this team as being another underachieving disappointment. They have definitely come back strong since those losses. In hindsight, our 4 losses now don't look too bad. SFA is 17-2. Baylor is 10-5, including a win over #2 Wisconsin. And, both Texas Tech and Texas State are having decent seasons. In addition, our win over South Carolina is looking better and better. They only have one loss this year (to us). Looks like FIU is about to lose to North Texas, meaning we'll be on top of the CUSA Standings.

My guess is that when all is said and done, CUSA will again be a 1-team league when it comes to NCAA tournament bids. So, we'll need to win the CUSA tournament - which is being hosted by WKU. Before the season started I figured WKU would be a slam dunk tournament favorite. I guess that is no longer the case. They appear to have fallen off a bit this year.

Quick question: Does anybody know what happened to Seyvion Waggoner? A couple weeks back I attended the Friday night game against UTEP, and saw where she was no longer on the roster. One of the parents told me that she had left the team. Anyone know why? I was really disappointed, because I had heard that she was a very talented player. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to see her play.
09-30-2018 02:46 PM
RiceBull Offline
2nd String

Looking at the game stats, it appears that her last game was the first game of the Rice Invitational on Sept. 14. She wasn't playing every set in the games she did play.
09-30-2018 03:30 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-30-2018 02:46 PM)Minnewaska Owl Wrote:  
(09-30-2018 02:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Wow, big win for them. I wonder if we might be receiving votes in the top 25 this week? Two of our four losses are to top-25 teams (or teams receiving votes in Baylor and Texas Tech) and both of those losses were very close.

Huge win for the Owls, finally beating Western Kentucky - and on the road too! After the Texas State and SFA losses I was ready to give up on this team as being another underachieving disappointment. They have definitely come back strong since those losses. In hindsight, our 4 losses now don't look too bad. SFA is 17-2. Baylor is 10-5, including a win over #2 Wisconsin. And, both Texas Tech and Texas State are having decent seasons. In addition, our win over South Carolina is looking better and better. They only have one loss this year (to us). Looks like FIU is about to lose to North Texas, meaning we'll be on top of the CUSA Standings.

My guess is that when all is said and done, CUSA will again be a 1-team league when it comes to NCAA tournament bids. So, we'll need to win the CUSA tournament - which is being hosted by WKU. Before the season started I figured WKU would be a slam dunk tournament favorite. I guess that is no longer the case. They appear to have fallen off a bit this year.

Quick question: Does anybody know what happened to Seyvion Waggoner? A couple weeks back I attended the Friday night game against UTEP, and saw where she was no longer on the roster. One of the parents told me that she had left the team. Anyone know why? I was really disappointed, because I had heard that she was a very talented player. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to see her play.

I don't know about a 1-bid league. If we win the regular season title with a pretty convincing record, we'll get a bid regardless of the conference tournament. This site currently has us ranked 36th in the country, and that's before the Western Kentucky win (they were ranked 73rd). Our only other top-100 team we play in the regular season is at UTSA (who we beat Friday at home in 4 games). That win over South Carolina (currently 21st in that site) is going to be big if they keep winning.

https://herosports.com/rankings/college-...volleyball

BTW I heard Waggoner had a knee injury earlier in the year. I don't know if she's transferring or just quitting volleyball though.
09-30-2018 06:47 PM
Advertisement

OldOwl Offline
1st String

Great win against Western Kentucky. There must be great chemistry among the players to be playing so good relative to previous years. I hope they can keep it up.
09-30-2018 07:08 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

Marshall is hosting this year.
09-30-2018 11:15 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

FYI, this article from a week ago picked Rice vs WKU as one of three key matches for the conference.

Quote:C-USA
Rice at Western Kentucky - Sept. 30

Rice and Western Kentucky were picked to finish second and first, respectively. Although early in the season, this is the only meeting between the two teams, making it a crucial game.

North Texas at Western Kentucky - Oct. 19

The Mean Green handed the Hilltoppers their only conference loss last year, before losing to them in the conference tournament title game in four sets. This is the two teams only meeting in 2018.

Florida Atlantic at Western Kentucky - Nov. 4

The Hilltoppers are the favorite to win Conference USA for a fifth straight season. The Owls might be their toughest challenge.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball-wom...ence-could
09-30-2018 11:18 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(09-30-2018 11:15 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  

Marshall is hosting this year.

My mistake - must have been looking at last year's tournament location list. Thanks for the correction. Playing at Marshall is a lot less daunting than playing at WKU.
10-01-2018 05:10 AM
temchugh Offline
1st String

A great weekend for the Owls, beating two of the better teams in the conference.
10-01-2018 05:36 AM
Advertisement

dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

No votes in Coaches Poll. Baylor is #23 and both South Carolina and Texas Tech are receiving votes.

However....Rice is #25 in the first RPI numbers.
Other notable RPIs:
#18 South Carolina (W)
#19 Baylor (L)
#31 Texas Tech (L)
#34 Texas St. (L)
#47 SFA (L)
#48 Austin Peay (W)
#59 WKU (W)
#84 UTSA (W)
#85 Ole Miss (W)
#88 FAU (Nov. 8)
#99 UTRGV (W)
#104 Charlotte (Nov. 2)

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball...eyball-rpi
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018 02:53 PM by dragon2owl.)
10-01-2018 02:36 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

Nicole Lennon earned her second Offensive Player of the Week honor this season and Lee Ann Cunningham was named Defensive Player of the Week. Carly Graham claimed Freshman of the Week.

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/10/1/...-week.aspx
10-01-2018 03:06 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(10-01-2018 03:06 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Nicole Lennon earned her second Offensive Player of the Week honor this season and Lee Ann Cunningham was named Defensive Player of the Week. Carly Graham claimed Freshman of the Week.

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2018/10/1/...-week.aspx

I think Nicole Lennon is the best Rice Volleyball player we've had for several years now - at least the best I have seen play, going back to the Meredith Schamun/Tracey Lam days. I also think our Freshman Middle Blocker Anota Adekunle could be very special. Really fun watching these girls play.
10-01-2018 05:26 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Nice easy win in straight sets on the road tonight at Middle Tennessee State (who isn't a good team). Much tougher match Sunday at USM.
10-05-2018 08:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.