Bookmark and Share
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Southern Miss at App State
Location: 3,333 Ft Elevation - Boone, NC - Along the eastern continental divide

Weather: Hurricane

Line: App - 14.5

Last Meeting: Apps third game at the FBS level and Taylor Lambs first start. App loses at Southern Miss 21-20.

Story Line: How will the deluge of water from the sky impact Southern Miss's ability to move the ball? Their top rusher has less than 100 yards through two games and they just lost to ULM at home. This appears to be a loss most outside of the Sun Belt are viewing as a travesty for USM because of their perception of the Sun Belt, and ULM in general. I have a feeling that this game may put a stamp on the Sun Belt is better than the C-USA, and force some to admit that fact that many of us have now been aware of for three seasons.

Prediction: App - 31 Southern Miss - 7

Southern Miss isn't a running team and in the weather that is coming, they are going to wish they were.
09-10-2018 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Southern Miss at App State
Is this game going to get cancelled?
09-10-2018 04:13 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Theyre gonna be playing desperate...But App is favored for a reason.
09-10-2018 04:13 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(09-10-2018 04:13 PM)slycat Wrote:  Is this game going to get cancelled?

Theres no reason to cancel the game at this point. App is predicted to be on the clean side of the storm, its several hundred miles inland, both teams should want to play the game for bowl purposes, and the storm, even if it passes near the stadium is projected to be a tropical depression with max winds of 39 mph.
09-10-2018 04:16 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2018 04:16 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Theres no reason to cancel the game at this point. App is predicted to be on the clean side of the storm, its several hundred miles inland, both teams should want to play the game for bowl purposes, and the storm, even if it passes near the stadium is projected to be a tropical depression with max winds of 39 mph.

They are forecasting up to 32 inches of rain across the state. Unless there is a landslide on 321 or 421, the game should go on. For Boone, the only impact they will feel is the consistent rainfall for the entirety of the game Saturday.
09-10-2018 04:19 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

Negative. Anything inland is going to be played on Saturday. Should be fun to watch with 30 mph winds and driving rain. The worst of the weather is expected to be in Central North Carolina Thursday night and Friday.
09-10-2018 04:20 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

Good to hear. It looked like it would curl up north more than push to the west. Stay safe out there.
09-10-2018 04:22 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2018 04:22 PM)slycat Wrote:  Good to hear. It looked like it would curl up north more than push to the west. Stay safe out there.

No worries. The most damage will likely be done in the weeks following the Hurricane, especially if it stalls inland. Many small towns line the rivers that carry water from the mountains to the sea and all of the run off will be what ends up being the real danger. The coastline, Wilmington in particular, appears to be in for the wind and rain combination.
09-10-2018 04:42 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
I'm hearing that they expect the hurricane to move on land and sit there for a while dumping tons of water on you guys. Safety over football. Y'all stay safe.
09-10-2018 05:06 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-10-2018 05:06 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  I'm hearing that they expect the hurricane to move on land and sit there for a while dumping tons of water on you guys. Safety over football. Y'all stay safe.

I would think that would mean that Boone would get very little rain. Boone is way on the west corner of NC and the land will drain a lot of its power by the time it gets that far inland.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2018 05:14 PM by EigenEagle.)
09-10-2018 05:13 PM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
(09-10-2018 05:13 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(09-10-2018 05:06 PM)WARDAWG93 Wrote:  I'm hearing that they expect the hurricane to move on land and sit there for a while dumping tons of water on you guys. Safety over football. Y'all stay safe.

I would think that would mean that Boone would get very little rain. Boone is way on the west corner of NC and the land will drain a lot of its power by the time it gets that far inland.

I hope that's true.
09-10-2018 05:18 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2018 05:13 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

No, Cherokee and Cullowhee are to the very far western corner. Boone is in the Northwestern part of the state near the Virginia and Tennessee border. The Hurricane track at the moment, and rain coverage will be over Boone. If the storm stalls and draws up moisture from the gulf we could end up with a lot of rain and potential land slides in the mountains.

It is forecasted to rain each day prior to the storm hitting as well which will only saturate the ground more, resulting in more flooding. While Boone will miss most of the wind, they won't miss the rain.
09-10-2018 05:39 PM
App75 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian
It will flood in Boone if we get 30”of Rain over a couple days. 321 in town is the most susceptible near the Mall. Boone Golf Club front 9 will be under water. May make it difficult to get to game.
09-10-2018 09:47 PM
97App Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Appalachian St
It wouldn't surprise me if the game is played in Boone on Saturday. However, a lot of fans travel from 2+ hours east of Boone (3.5hrs for me). We really don't know what to expect at this time and travel for many of us will be a game-day decision. I really hate it too as I've been looking forward to this game since we signed the series with Southern Miss.
09-11-2018 08:14 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Maybe we can play the game in our other stadium in Charlotte.
09-11-2018 08:25 AM
biggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
Figure it will get played, not sure how much rain Boone will get. Attendance probably way down due to everyone off the mountain dealing with the hurricane stuff.
09-11-2018 08:29 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-10-2018 09:47 PM)App75 Wrote:  It will flood in Boone if we get 30”of Rain over a couple days. 321 in town is the most susceptible near the Mall. Boone Golf Club front 9 will be under water. May make it difficult to get to game.

There probably won't be 30" of rain where the eye hits the shore, let alone as far inland as Boone.

[Image: kghYv7k.gif?1]
09-11-2018 08:43 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Seems like App State would want to try and play this game sooner???
09-11-2018 09:37 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I know in 2005 when TXST was playing at A&M the game got moved up to Thursday because of Rita. They wanted to make sure the game didn't affect those evacuating and to help keep unnecessary traffic off the roads.
09-11-2018 10:29 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(09-11-2018 08:43 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(09-10-2018 09:47 PM)App75 Wrote:  It will flood in Boone if we get 30”of Rain over a couple days. 321 in town is the most susceptible near the Mall. Boone Golf Club front 9 will be under water. May make it difficult to get to game.

There probably won't be 30" of rain where the eye hits the shore, let alone as far inland as Boone.

[Image: kghYv7k.gif?1]

When they were talking 30 inches in Boone, it was earlier in the week when the storm was expected to stall over western N.C. Those forecast have changed since then.
09-11-2018 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.