Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Elon Game
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Elon Game
This is the game that will make or break our season. There are many positives to take from the Tech game (mostly Shon's progression) and Elon is not good enough to take advantage of the Tribe's defense, as Tech did.

Win it -- and the Tribe will get a lot of momentum!
09-08-2018 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
RE: Elon Game
(09-08-2018 03:35 PM)Zorch Wrote:  This is the game that will make or break our season. There are many positives to take from the Tech game (mostly Shon's progression) and Elon is not good enough to take advantage of the Tribe's defense, as Tech did.

Win it -- and the Tribe will get a lot of momentum!

They are a good team, have beaten us the last two years. Their game today against a good Furman team will be interesting.
09-08-2018 03:42 PM
TheRealTribe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
If they win today against a ranked Furman team and teams ahead lose they could be Top 10 or very close to it when they come to Zable next week.

Going to be a huge game either way.
09-08-2018 03:59 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
Possibly won’t be played on Saturday. Hurricane Florence is coming around the Carolinas and might possibly head to VA.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018 04:12 PM by TribePride52.)
09-08-2018 04:05 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Don't think this will break the season. I think we will continue to improve with a possible chance to run the table after Elon and JMU. A win next weekend will simply put them ahead of the curve.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
09-08-2018 04:11 PM
TheRealTribe Offline
Special Teams

Elon destroyed Furman. Going to be a tough matchup.
09-08-2018 07:59 PM
Advertisement

bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Big, big game for our guys. We'll be solid underdogs and loss will probably mean a 1-4 start and a big drop in confidence. Elon is good and has whipped us the past two seasons.

Mitchell and offense showed glimpses of offense against Tech and we'll need for them to continue their positive advancement from the ineffective doldrums of last year. Defense will have to regroup quickly
after being totally overwhelmed by Virginia Tech.
09-09-2018 05:29 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I wouldn't call a 25-17 loss to Elon at Elon being whipped last year, but they appear to have a good offense this season. Weather now appears to be a big factor for the weekend.
09-09-2018 07:11 AM
wrnbldg Offline
Bench Warmer

HUGE game! Though we could make a rum at 1-3, I think we must win this game to prove we have turned the corner from last year. It’s been way too long since a big win over a ranked opponent in Zable.
09-09-2018 11:15 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(09-08-2018 04:05 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  Possibly won’t be played on Saturday. Hurricane Florence is coming around the Carolinas and might possibly head to VA.

We are on the edge of the projected eye but NC is in the bullseye. Therefore the bigger issue is if Elon will travel early and beat the storm or get stuck in the aftermath to travel. Hopefully we can get everything cleaned up for a 6pm kick off on Saturday or play a Sunday game?
09-09-2018 11:18 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

Elon played their FBS game pretty well, holding a quality USF team to 34 points. Then blowing out #21 Furman 45-7.

I do not think yesterday’s defensive performance is an indicator of their potential. VT is going to make some power 5 teams look really silly this year. I think our guys will come out and make a strong statement against Elon.

Offensively, we have the talent as well to score points, but we haven’t clicked. Again, up front it was a total mismatch yesterday, so I could be too quick with my assessment. But take away three plays in our first two games and we’ve totaled 10 points.

I don’t think we can rely on 60 + yard plays to score points and win games in the CAA.

I’d like to see a quicker pace. Our line is young and not physically matured yet. If we can’t out muscle the opponent, we certainly can out finesse them. We sub almost on every play, slowing the pace of play and putting our most dynamic and reliable players on the sideline. I get the need to sub when you have receivers running 25-30 yards every play in 90 degree heat. Keep these guys on the field for a few first downs, go fast, run quick short routes. The guys can pmake yardage after the catch.

Our QB has demonstrated he is ready. There are a few receivers ready for this too. We need to generate more plays to all of the playmakers, and putting more points on the board.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2018 12:09 PM by tribefbfan.)
09-09-2018 11:26 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2018 11:26 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  I don’t think we can rely on 60 + yard plays to score points and win games in the CAA.

I actually think we can (to an extent obviously). Our downfield blocking may be the greatest strength of our offense and DeVonte is a an absolute game breaker.
09-09-2018 02:44 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(09-09-2018 02:44 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(09-09-2018 11:26 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  I don’t think we can rely on 60 + yard plays to score points and win games in the CAA.

I actually think we can (to an extent obviously). Our downfield blocking may be the greatest strength of our offense and DeVonte is a an absolute game breaker.

We’ll just have to disagree.

We need a run game. If we can’t find one we need to use all of our playmakers to move the ball. As great as DeVonte is and has been in two games this year, he can’t do it himself and there are plenty of guys that can contribute.
09-09-2018 03:10 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
The difference between a win at home over Elon, breaking the long CAA losing streak and a loss heading on the road to JMU is massive. A win, and there is a chance for 3-2 or 4-1 through September. A loss, and the Tribe is looking at 1-3, 0-2 potentially. All the home games need to be won if a great season is on the horizon. Weather could easily force problems or cancellation (which happened back in 2003 leaving the Tribe(vs Maine) that year at 5-5). Let's hope for the safety of those in NC and SC as well as the Virginia coast, that Florence moves well out into the Atlantic and doesn't hit land.
09-09-2018 03:40 PM
Tribal Offline

Elon Game
We have a run game. Just not against VT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
09-09-2018 04:41 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2018 04:41 PM)Tribal Wrote:  We have a run game. Just not against VT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One thing I think will help (wouldn't have made a difference in Blacksburg) is for Funderburke to hit the hole and grind out yards. It seems that he sometimes is looking for the bigger play but those 3 and 4 yard gains will add up over the course of the game.

I really like how Wright has looked. Tons of buzz coming out of camp and he's looked solid so far.
09-09-2018 09:01 PM
Advertisement

Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar

Most of the metrics used tend to value efficiency over explosiveness but (IMO) if you struggle with explosiveness the efficiency will suffer. Defenses will figure out you can't threaten them 20 yards down the field and load up the LOS. The inverse of that is probably true but not to the same degree- teams can scheme up big plays/downfield shots and it's easier to hit one big play instead of a lot of little ones. The fancy stats love 14 play drives because if you have the ball the other team doesn't.
09-09-2018 09:33 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

I think you all are missing my point. I know that rushing the ball against the VT defensive front was going to be a challenge.

So take that out. We rushed for 81 yards, averaged 2 yards per carry against Bucknell. Sacred Heart had two players over 100 yards (178 & 106), as a unit rushed for 261 yards, 5.2 per carry against Bucknell. I’d like to think this program is better than Sacred Heart.

This is not because we don’t have outstanding running backs, we do.

We lost two NFL linemen, then lost two starters for whatever reason. Our line will mature and get better, but it is not a dominating unit for us at this time.

This is not a shot at a position group. It is a realistic view at this time. They will get better, but honestly I think they are a year away. When two freshmen can come in and play that says a lot about them. They are still 18-19 yr old bodies competing against 21-23 year old bodies.

Help them get better by reducing the time the need to engage their defender. Get the ball out quick the Dedmon, Evans, Armstrong, Muse. Pound it north and south with Funderburke and Wright. Quick, fast tempo offense.

Our playmakers need more touches. Speeding up the offense will create more plays, creating more opportunitues for big plays.
09-09-2018 09:42 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(09-09-2018 09:33 PM)Rocco Wrote:  

Most of the metrics used tend to value efficiency over explosiveness but (IMO) if you struggle with explosiveness the efficiency will suffer. Defenses will figure out you can't threaten them 20 yards down the field and load up the LOS. The inverse of that is probably true but not to the same degree- teams can scheme up big plays/downfield shots and it's easier to hit one big play instead of a lot of little ones. The fancy stats love 14 play drives because if you have the ball the other team doesn't.

The three plays this year that have lead to a score or scored we’re pass plays under 10 yards, two behind the line of scrimmage. We don’t have to trade explosiveness for efficiency. It’s not an either or thing, especially with the talent we have at the skill positions.
09-09-2018 09:57 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(09-09-2018 09:42 PM)tribefbfan Wrote:  Help them get better by reducing the time the need to engage their defender. Get the ball out quick the Dedmon, Evans, Armstrong, Muse. Pound it north and south with Funderburke and Wright. Quick, fast tempo offense.

I strongly agree with this and it's exactly why I want Funderburke to hit the hole harder. We absolutely have the speed on the edges but we need a consistent presence pounding the middle. Opens up the edges and gives the line tons of confidence.
09-09-2018 10:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.