UConn
Navy
[Show Results]

Best Tailgate?
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
Best Tailgate?
Which University has the best AAC Tailgate?
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2018 09:28 AM by willhclark.)
09-06-2018 09:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Best Tailgate?
UCONN. Plenty of parking!
09-06-2018 09:41 AM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Well if we didn't have to re-invent the whole thing year to year (going on 4 years now...) I would say UH based on how it was before our current stadium.

Having said that I really have no idea, the few schools I have been to didn't have tailgating to brag about when I was there (Memphis) or never had one (Tulane)......
09-06-2018 09:42 AM
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
i voted ECU

Houston had a good tailgate during the Robertson years.
09-06-2018 09:53 AM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
We're down for sure but is this even up for debate?
09-06-2018 09:56 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
See Eye In Sea Aye INN INN Ayy Tee Eye

There. A super complicated and idiotic way for you to remember that it's 2 N's and 1 T
09-06-2018 10:01 AM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(09-06-2018 09:42 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  Well if we didn't have to re-invent the whole thing year to year (going on 4 years now...) I would say UH based on how it was before our current stadium.

Having said that I really have no idea, the few schools I have been to didn't have tailgating to brag about when I was there (Memphis) or never had one (Tulane)......

Must have been a while since you came to Memphis, like before Tiger Lane was created.
09-06-2018 10:59 AM
TUCandoit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
I vote Tulsa with the worst tailgate.
09-06-2018 11:01 AM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
I've been to about half the conference -- all the big teams.

UCF, Memphis and ECU are at the top and theres little room for debate.

Next that i've been to are SMU and USF.

Tulane was non existent at the superdome, but I have not been to their new stadium yet. You honestly wouldn't know a game was going on when they played at the superdome. Temple was very weak as well both times I've been.

Haven't been to Uconn, Cinci, Navy, Tulsa, or Houston but don't think any of these 5 would be in the top 3 with UCF, Memphis, or ECU.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2018 11:34 AM by Knights_of_UCF.)
09-06-2018 11:33 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
I read a tweet from an A&T fan that went on and on about how great and friendly the ECU fans were pregame. Evidently, everyone offered to share what they had with the soon to be victorious intruder.
09-06-2018 11:56 AM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(09-06-2018 11:56 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  I read a tweet from an A&T fan that went on and on about how great and friendly the ECU fans were pregame. Evidently, everyone offered to share what they had with the soon to be victorious intruder.

I can confirm this as well when UCF has been there. For a visiting fan, ECU is hands down the best i've experienced. Overall atmosphere I give UCF, Memphis, and ECU all the nod.
09-06-2018 12:02 PM
Advertisement

mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
(09-06-2018 10:01 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  See Eye In Sea Aye INN INN Ayy Tee Eye

There. A super complicated and idiotic way for you to remember that it's 2 N's and 1 T

Thanks for the mnemonic. I usually use spell check to help me with Cincinnatti.
09-06-2018 12:14 PM
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I vote Tulane...No need to tailgate when you have the quarter.
09-06-2018 12:30 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-06-2018 11:33 AM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  I've been to about half the conference -- all the big teams.

UCF, Memphis and ECU are at the top and theres little room for debate.

Next that i've been to are SMU and USF.

Tulane was non existent at the superdome, but I have not been to their new stadium yet. You honestly wouldn't know a game was going on when they played at the superdome. Temple was very weak as well both times I've been.

Haven't been to Uconn, Cinci, Navy, Tulsa, or Houston but don't think any of these 5 would be in the top 3 with UCF, Memphis, or ECU.

I haven't been to ECU or UCF yet, but I would tend to agree.

Memphis tailgating was pretty mediocre until Tiger Lane started a few years ago. Now it is absolutely awesome. Only thing it needs is more spots (sold out and a waiting list), and the trees planted in the beginning need to grow.

Maybe I can get to ECU and UCF one of these days.
09-06-2018 12:33 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Best aspect of Navy tailgating is that you can re-enter (onetime) after halftime, as long as you get your ticket scanned going out.

I don't know that we would break into the top of the conference, but we do get a little bump for pageantry, march-on, flyover (not technically part of the tailgate per se)
09-06-2018 12:35 PM
TheOrigamiJimmyChin Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: My wife
(09-06-2018 09:53 AM)willhclark Wrote:  i voted ECU

Houston had a good tailgate during the Robertson years.

I agree tailgating isn't what it was during the Robertson Stadium years. Even during the 0-11 season, we had fun in the parking lots.

It appears the students enjoy the hell out of themselves on Cullen Blvd though. Definitely a lot of energy (and alcohol) out there before the games.

I'm part of the problem. I stopped tailgating in earnest years back, just can't dedicate a full day like we used to. Plus there's no time to tailgate with all our 11 am games.

Nowadays we take the train straight to the stadium. A lot easier than messing with grill, meat, charcoal, beer, etc. I can leave the house 45 minutes before the game and be in my seat with beer in hand by kickoff. (Helps that I live 5 minutes from Palm Center).
09-06-2018 12:39 PM
Advertisement

GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

(09-06-2018 10:59 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(09-06-2018 09:42 AM)GO Coogs GO!!! Wrote:  Well if we didn't have to re-invent the whole thing year to year (going on 4 years now...) I would say UH based on how it was before our current stadium.

Must have been a while since you came to Memphis, like before Tiger Lane was created.

Yes (notice I said when I was there....), it has been I am aware of the strides the fans have made but it was a ghost town the 3 or so times I had been there before.
09-06-2018 12:55 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-06-2018 09:21 AM)willhclark Wrote:  Which University has the best AAC Tailgate?

Funny this subject should come up. I had some serious health issues earlier this year (congestive heart failure, had to wear a defib vest), and thought for awhile I wouldn't make it. Somehow, I made a pretty miraculous recovery, but it made me think what I wanted to do with whatever time I have left.

I love sports, travel and food, so I decided to make a tour of as many CFB tailgates as I could, and maybe pick up a few other fun things along the way.

I'm retired and with a fixed income, of course, and I saved for 2 years to do this, but to fund it past the first year or so, I bought a nice Canon T6 and plan to post videos on Youtube, and after awhile perhaps I will make enough in ad revenue and sponsorships to continue my trek, as long as my health permits.

My first trip starts Saturday morning. My cardiologist actually is encouraging it, says being active is good, as long as I watch my sodium intake (and my liquids, lol), and take frequent breaks both driving and walking around.

To get as many viewers as possible, I am starting with the biggest schools/fan bases first (and also the ones not a million miles from my home outside Auburn, AL). I am just attending the tailgates, not the games, to save money and time. Anybody can watch the games on TV, not so much the tailgates.

I plan to do vignettes on whatever peeps want to talk about: food, drink, tailgate rigs, products they use, why they do this, etc.

Essentially I go out for the weekend, then back home a few days, then out again, from now until CFB ends Thanksgiving. Then I'm off more or less until next Feb. for the Daytona 500 infield party, then some MLB spring training in March, and so on...

Here is my tentative schedule through New Year's Day:

9/8 Kentucky at Florida

9/15 UTEP at Tennessee (+ MTSU at Georgia later that day on my way home, if I have time)

9/22 Clemson at Ga Tech
9/23 Saints at Falcons + the CFB HoF

9/28 Memphis at Tulane
9/29 Ole Miss at LSU

10/4 Memphis Madness
10/6 Auburn at Miss State

10/13 Tennessee at Auburn
10/14 Talladega 500

10/20 Wake at Florida State
10/21 Texans at Jags

10/27 FL-GA in Jacksonville
10/28 Blue Angels Air Show

11/3 Louisville at Clemson
11/4 Bucs at Panthers

11/8-12 World Food Championships, Orange Beach, AL

11/17 OFF

11/22 Miss State at Ole Miss
11/23 Houston at Memphis
11/24 Auburn at Alabama

12/2 Jets at Titans
12/3 Golden State Warriors at Atlanta Hawks

12/30 Falcons at Bucs
12/31 Taxslayer Gator Bowl
1/1 Citrus Bowl
09-06-2018 01:02 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
P.S. Mods, I don't mean to derail the thread a bit with my stuff, but it IS tailgate related. I will move to a new thread if needed.

At any rate, I should be able to give first hand opinions about a lot of tailgates before long. It is a passion of mine.

And I plan to fit in AAC tailgating as I follow Memphis on the road when possible.

Any suggestions about my plan are welcome. Schedule pretty well locked in, but tips on how best to deal with the travel part, etc. would help me out.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2018 01:07 PM by TripleA.)
09-06-2018 01:05 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(09-06-2018 12:35 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Best aspect of Navy tailgating is that you can re-enter (onetime) after halftime, as long as you get your ticket scanned going out.

I don't know that we would break into the top of the conference, but we do get a little bump for pageantry, march-on, flyover (not technically part of the tailgate per se)

ECU also has unlimited re-entry (insert jokes here). I don't think I would survive without halftime beers.
09-06-2018 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.