Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What would a national title in baseball....
Bookmark and Share
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Anyone have thoughts on this? I know college baseball is officially listed as a "minor revenue" sport......and it doesn't come close to football or men's hoops when it comes to money or media attention.......and that schools like Texas and Miami take a ho-hum attitude towards the sport as something extra while they wait on their great football or basketball teams to make a run......

But in my opinion a title in baseball would mean a TON to our univeristy and to this state. We've never won a NCAA title in any men's sport.......in ANYTHING. In fact, we've never won a title in ANY team sport period (unless you consider track a "team" sport........I don't).

The odds are longer for us, this year, it appears. But should we ever pull this off, it could serve as huge inspiration for our football and basketball guys. Proof positive that it CAN be done at South Carolina, despite long-held beliefs to the contrary. Tanner has the right attitude......and something Odom could learn from. No excuses......just win, baby. Props to the Yardcocks.......nice job. 04-bow
06-09-2003 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

I Root For: USC Gamecocks

Crappies

It would surely be received better than the national title in track :)
06-09-2003 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gamecock Jay Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

It would mean alot to our fans myself included. Don't get me wrong I am proud of the track team but I really do not follow them like I do the "big 3" sports.
06-09-2003 02:30 PM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Right. My point is that a lot of schools don't put much more importance on college baseball than they do sports like track or swimming. But at South Carolina, where we've had limited success in football and basketball, the baseball team's accomplishments mean more, IMO. And again, any success we have in one of those three sports HAS to help the other two........at least indirectly.

I know one thing: the university we're about to face may have the greatest athletic program in the nation. They are regulars at Omaha; they made the Final Four in basketball two or three years ago and are consistently among basketball's top 25; and they made the Rose Bowl about that same time and are consistently competitive in football. Pretty amazing considering their high academic standards.
06-09-2003 04:26 PM
davidbowden Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Galactus Wrote:Anyone have thoughts on this? I know college baseball is officially listed as a "minor revenue" sport......and it doesn't come close to football or men's hoops when it comes to money or media attention.......and that schools like Texas and Miami take a ho-hum attitude towards the sport as something extra while they wait on their great football or basketball teams to make a run......

But in my opinion a title in baseball would mean a TON to our univeristy and to this state. We've never won a NCAA title in any men's sport.......in ANYTHING. In fact, we've never won a title in ANY team sport period (unless you consider track a "team" sport........I don't).

The odds are longer for us, this year, it appears. But should we ever pull this off, it could serve as huge inspiration for our football and basketball guys. Proof positive that it CAN be done at South Carolina, despite long-held beliefs to the contrary. Tanner has the right attitude......and something Odom could learn from. No excuses......just win, baby. Props to the Yardcocks.......nice job. 04-bow
so someone finally answered my q.....COCKS HAVE NO MENS NATIONAL TEAMS. didn't think so. :crying: :crying: :crying:

<!--EDIT|davidbowden|Jun 9 2003, 06:41 PM-->
06-09-2003 06:34 PM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Since I was brought up near Baton Rouge my entire childhood AND went to games before they started winning the National Titles, I can say that College Baseball wasn't that big before Bertman came around. The first baseball games I went to was in 1984 and I basically went to every game (barring a few OOC games) all the way up to 1999-2000. I think that once you have a successful team and win a National Title, you get the reputation as being a Top-Tier team.
06-09-2003 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

I think this is from X-Men: Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?
06-09-2003 06:50 PM
Drakeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

A baseball NC would be awesome, just as it would for any Ath. Dept. Naturally for us it would be sweeter since it's our team, & we're lacking in the NC dept.

I'm not sure I buy into the theory about 1 program's success helping another in the grand scheme of things, but a baseball NC would no doubt help our overall Ath Dept in the image & awareness catagory.
06-10-2003 09:21 AM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

For a lot of programs......like Texas and LSU......maybe a baseball title is small potatoes. Both of those programs have been to the men's Final Four.......and both have national titles in football and many conference titles.

But for us? I think it WOULD affect.....however indirectly......the overall perception of our program. Obviously, one sport can rarely DIRECTLY affect another........but I've always believed that part of USC's problem over the years has been perception and something psychological. A title in football, basketball or baseball would certainly help the overall perception of our athletic program. In other words, of the eight teams left.......we need it much more than the other seven, IMO.
06-10-2003 09:30 AM
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

Quote:we need it much more than the other seven
yes, well said 04-bow
06-10-2003 09:58 AM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Galactus Wrote:For a lot of programs......like Texas and LSU......maybe a baseball title is small potatoes. Both of those programs have been to the men's Final Four.......and both have national titles in football and many conference titles.

But for us? I think it WOULD affect.....however indirectly......the overall perception of our program. Obviously, one sport can rarely DIRECTLY affect another........but I've always believed that part of USC's problem over the years has been perception and something psychological. A title in football, basketball or baseball would certainly help the overall perception of our athletic program. In other words, of the eight teams left.......we need it much more than the other seven, IMO.
I don't think another title is small potatoes for LSU. Especially after the death of Wally Pontiff in the off-season. This is one title that would always be remembered by LSU fans. That kid meant everything to everyone...
06-10-2003 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Yes, I understand that........but there's no way it can have the impact for the LSU athletic program that it would for South Carolina. We have never won a national title in football. We own no SEC titles in football. We've never been to the men's Final Four. You have done all of those things and more. (In fact......that could apply to both Georgia AND LSU!).

The only NCAA title we've ever won is in women's track........and that was just a couple of years ago.

LSU, like many other schools in the six major conferences, is rich with a history of success and winning traditions in football and/or basketball. Not to say you guys don't appreciate championships, but the point is you, and the rest of the SEC, have had your glory. We have not.......therefore we NEED a championship is SOMETHING badly.......even college baseball. It would help us out tremendously in many ways........for LSU, Texas, Stanford, etc. it would simply be another notch in their belt of athletic success.

You'd have to walk a mile in a Gamecock's shoes to truly understand. We are starved for success here.......and that's something we've had precious little of throughout our history.
06-10-2003 12:27 PM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I understand what your saying..
06-10-2003 12:31 PM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

'Course, I really don't care about college baseball nearly as much as I do basketball and football.......but at this point of my life, I'll take what I can get!! 03-wink
06-10-2003 12:34 PM
Drakeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Galactus Wrote:For a lot of programs......like Texas and LSU......maybe a baseball title is small potatoes.
Incorrectamundo!

Did you listen to Texas regional final? Did you watch their SR vs F$U?
06-10-2003 01:55 PM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Sure....some of it. I watched them last year versus our boys, too. But let's face it.......the Longhorns are all about football, and their glorified football tradition. Their basketball program has gotten huge publicitiy over the last 5 years, as well.

But my real point is this: There's no way a successful athletic program like Texas, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, OSU, Florida State, UCLA, etc. can appreciate what it means to be a fan of a program like the Gamecocks......to suffer for years and years.......and be desperate for a title in ANYTHING. These programs have won so much that they expect it......they HAVE to. It's only natural. They're spoiled. But us? A title.....even in a minor revenue sport like baseball......would mean the world to us.

I remember when we won our first bowl game back in '95........and one of the West Virginia players was quoted after the game saying..."This game was important for us. But it obviously meant the WORLD to South Carolina." He was speaking not only of the effort by the USC players......but the fan support, as well. I've always thought that post-game quote kinda summed it up nicely.
06-10-2003 03:06 PM
Advertisement

Drakeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Baseball's not small potatoes to Texas.
06-10-2003 04:20 PM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Galactus Wrote:But my real point is this: There's no way a successful athletic program like Texas, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, OSU, Florida State, UCLA, etc. can appreciate what it means to be a fan of a program like the Gamecocks
That's not true at all but I get your point. I grew up without any national title at LSU. We won our 1st one in 1991. I know what it feels like to not win anything in baseball. I do...
06-10-2003 04:24 PM
Cocky Road Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Would someone please take the time to explain to Cal State Fullerton that Baseball does not matter.

This banter about baseball not being important is nothing more than an opinion coming from a sports fan with very little perspective.

Baseball is a thinking mans sport, I would not expect you to like it or understand it. :john:

Baseball is real, computer games and comic books are not.

A NC in Baseball would be great for the school, the players and the fans that love our great American pastime.

04-cheers
06-11-2003 01:38 AM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

SouthLink,

I'm not just speaking about baseball. I'm talking about football and basketball, too. Basically......a school's entire athletic program. LSU has been incredibly successful in athletics for decades.........there's no way to compare their situation to ours. USC has struggled in every conceivable sport imaginable. LSU won a national title in football in the 50s.......Dale Brown took their basketball team to a couple of final fours. They've been great in baseball forever......and have had some fine track programs.

I realize everyone wants to win. But I'll argue with anyone until doomsday that no athletic program has suffered like the University of South Carolina. Name me one other school that has been competing on a Division 1 level for 100 years like USC and has failed to A) Win two rounds in the men's NCAA basketball tourney or B) make it to a major bowl game. I guarantee you'll have a tough time finding one.......because USC is alone in that respect. On top of that, we do not have single national title in any men's team sport. Not one.......ever.

Cocky Road,

I think you're missing my point. I never said baseball wasn't important. I'm sure it is to schools like us and Cal-State Fullerton.

Baseball is a great game.......my comments have nothing to do with that. I'm not sure I understand the computer game/comic book reference........huh?? 03-confused Don't like classic comics like me? That's cool.....don't read 'em! (I could argue classic comic books as a genuine art form......hey, I make a living as a graphic artist :D......but that's another discussion).

Where are you getting that I'm criticizing baseball? I happen to enjoy major league baseball an awful lot (I'm a San Francisco Giant fan). MLB is every bit as much of a "thinking" sport as college.....if not moreso. And I also said that a title in baseball would be very big for USC.

However, if you think the whole nation sits on the edge of their seat following COLLEGE baseball, as they do in college football or men's basketball, that's crazy. That is evidence of "very little perspective." If this were the case, ABC-CBS-NBC would be fighting for the "College baseball game of the week" during the regular season. The NCAA tournament wouldn't be relegated to a cable network like ESPN. Street and Smith's would publish a "College Baseball preview edition." Sports Illustrated would make it one of their major beats. Newspapers like the state would have a college baseball preview section every winter.

Let's be clear: when people speak of the "great American past time" nine times out of 10 they're thinking of MAJOR LEAGUE baseball.......or possibly little league baseball. That's the truth and we all know it.

That said, college baseball is showing sings of growing. But as long as minor leagues exist, I can't see it ever matching football, basketball or major league baseball in terms of money or media attention.

As I've told others millions of times, the above is in no way, shape or form a criticism of the game of baseball. Don't read something into my comments that isn't there. The major leagues are still very successful and I enjoy MLB. But college baseball is another story. It's a great game (minus those annoying aluminum bats!! 03-wink ).......but it takes on added importantance at USC, where success in the major sports has been rare. Spoiled fans at Oklahoma or Texas or UCLA or Miami could never understand what it feels like to be starved for success........that's my only real point here.
06-11-2003 09:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.