Sherman: Cincinnati vs. Western Michigan

09-04-2018 07:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Ridiculously early Bowl Projections
Honestly, I'll take about any bowl game. I do think that we make it easy this year. That UCLA win was big, and the rest of the conference looks down.

09-04-2018 07:51 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(09-04-2018 07:51 AM)djtothemoney Wrote:  Honestly, I'll take about any bowl game. I do think that we make it easy this year. That UCLA win was big, and the rest of the conference looks down.

I'm often one to complain about bad bowl games, but I agree that any bowl would be fine. We have a ton of youngsters, and those extra practices and game would be huge. I still don't know if we make it easy this year, but I'm increasingly confident about hitting the 7 win mark.

09-04-2018 09:55 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(09-04-2018 09:55 AM)geef Wrote:  
(09-04-2018 07:51 AM)djtothemoney Wrote:  Honestly, I'll take about any bowl game. I do think that we make it easy this year. That UCLA win was big, and the rest of the conference looks down.

I'm often one to complain about bad bowl games, but I agree that any bowl would be fine. We have a ton of youngsters, and those extra practices and game would be huge. I still don't know if we make it easy this year, but I'm increasingly confident about hitting the 7 win mark.

I think so too and even at seven wins UC might actually get one of the better bowls in the AAC because our fans now enjoy a pretty good reputation for travelling.

Ticket sales (hotel rooms, meals, tours) are really what it's all about for so many of these bowls and the host cities. So if it's my bowl, I'd want UC over at least half dozen other possible options from the AAC.

09-04-2018 10:11 AM
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

(09-04-2018 09:55 AM)geef Wrote:  

We only need 6, after the way the rest of the conference looked on Saturday, I'm not to concerned about hitting 6, I think we hit 8.

09-04-2018 11:47 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Our bowl game is this week at PB. Beat Miami!

09-04-2018 11:54 AM
Advertisement

Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(09-04-2018 11:54 AM)dsquare Wrote:  Our bowl game is this week at PB. Beat Miami!

We aren't players. You don't have to lie to us.

09-04-2018 01:42 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
CBS Sports.....

Cure Bowl Dec. 15 Orlando, Fla. American vs. Sun Belt Cincinnati vs. Troy

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal...redictions

Orlando, yes please

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2018 01:47 PM by Bearcat2012.)
09-04-2018 01:46 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Yes, for all the reasons stated...I'll gladly take the Chico's Bail Bonds Bowl if that's what it ends up being.

09-04-2018 01:54 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(09-04-2018 01:46 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  CBS Sports.....

Cure Bowl Dec. 15 Orlando, Fla. American vs. Sun Belt Cincinnati vs. Troy

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal...redictions

Orlando, yes please
Plenty of direct flights to MCO first class on Delta or easy drive from my Siesta Key condo.

09-04-2018 05:35 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Did anyone catch the Chico's Bail Bonds reference?

[Image: Custom-Number-Bad-News-BEARS-Movie-Chico...40x640.jpg][Image: bad_news_bears_cap1_thumb_250x175.jpg]

09-05-2018 09:58 AM
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(09-05-2018 09:58 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Did anyone catch the Chico's Bail Bonds reference?

[Image: Custom-Number-Bad-News-BEARS-Movie-Chico...40x640.jpg][Image: bad_news_bears_cap1_thumb_250x175.jpg]

Your comedic genius is wasted here. 03-lmfao

09-05-2018 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-05-2018 09:58 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Did anyone catch the Chico's Bail Bonds reference?

Yes... I did.

I was going to respond by saying "The Bad-News Bearcats?" but I couldn't at the time.

09-05-2018 10:14 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I see UC going to one of the "Eastern" Bowls just out of geography... Saint Pete, Tampa, Birmingham, Annapolis...maybe even the Liberty in Memphis or the Indy in Shreveport if things landed right.

Why?
-We are one of the "Big Names" of the AAC so we're going to get a bounce in Bowl Preference.
-UC has established a reputation of drawing a good traveling crowd to Bowl games...the best of this conference...so Bowls will fight over us and the tendency of both the Bowls and the Conference will be to get UC into the best and highest profile situations possible.
-The Conference has done a pretty nice job of cultivating "eastern" bowl games for the "Eastern" teams and "western" bowl games for the "Western" teams. I think the preference will be to keep UC in the "Eastern" destinations, if nothing else than to keep the "western" slots open for the "Western" teams.

Finally, while I know we would welcome "any bowl," let's be honest...the Frisco Bowl--max capacity 20k--is TOO SMALL for UC. I'm not being snobbish, but we simply would overwhelm that bowl. That Frisco bowl is perfect for Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, etc. It's too small to accommodate UC, ECU, UCF, Houston, etc... Those schools' fan-bases are too big for that stadium.

09-05-2018 10:24 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-05-2018 10:24 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I see UC going to one of the "Eastern" Bowls just out of geography... Saint Pete, Tampa, Birmingham, Annapolis...maybe even the Liberty in Memphis or the Indy in Shreveport if things landed right.

Why?
-We are one of the "Big Names" of the AAC so we're going to get a bounce in Bowl Preference.
-UC has established a reputation of drawing a good traveling crowd to Bowl games...the best of this conference...so Bowls will fight over us and the tendency of both the Bowls and the Conference will be to get UC into the best and highest profile situations possible.
-The Conference has done a pretty nice job of cultivating "eastern" bowl games for the "Eastern" teams and "western" bowl games for the "Western" teams. I think the preference will be to keep UC in the "Eastern" destinations, if nothing else than to keep the "western" slots open for the "Western" teams.

Finally, while I know we would welcome "any bowl," let's be honest...the Frisco Bowl--max capacity 20k--is TOO SMALL for UC. I'm not being snobbish, but we simply would overwhelm that bowl. That Frisco bowl is perfect for Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, etc. It's too small to accommodate UC, ECU, UCF, Houston, etc... Those schools' fan-bases are too big for that stadium.
I hope you are right. I have attended every bowl beginning with PJB except HA Bowl which I skipped because of Christmas and we all knew it would be another bowlcation. Many here have done similar but I wonder if in general are the fans still committed?

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2018 12:38 PM by doss2.)
09-05-2018 12:35 PM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(09-05-2018 10:24 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I see UC going to one of the "Eastern" Bowls just out of geography... Saint Pete, Tampa, Birmingham, Annapolis...maybe even the Liberty in Memphis or the Indy in Shreveport if things landed right.

Why?

Ummm, you left one fan base off of your list. Any good job Cincy, keep up the good work. 04-cheers

09-06-2018 09:32 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-06-2018 09:32 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

Why?

Ummm, you left one fan base off of your list. Any good job Cincy, keep up the good work. 04-cheers

I think Memphis was in the etc. of: That Frisco bowl is perfect for Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, etc.

09-07-2018 04:41 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Why?

Your analysis is good, especially regarding the Frisco Bowl. No doubt that one is heavily subsidized by TV and if Tulane only sold 800 tickets, the University would have to eat unsold tickets out of its bowl proceeds. With the TV revenue, the bowl committee's balance sheet would look just fine.

Those TV numbers for UC vs. UCLA were pretty solid last Saturday night and UC has generated strong ratings for big games in recent years; as good as or better than some competing P5 games. Even at seven wins, I won't be surprised if the 'Cats were matched with an ACC team in the Military Bowl once again.

09-07-2018 08:43 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-07-2018 04:41 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
(09-06-2018 09:32 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

Why?

I think Memphis was in the etc. of: That Frisco bowl is perfect for Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, etc.

No doubt, Memphis would be one of the "etc" fan bases that I would think would be too big for the Frisco bowl.

09-07-2018 11:52 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Way too early still, but I'd love this matchup with NC State in Annapolis:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...417860002/

After "just get to a bowl" my preference is then always to see a P5 opponent. Go 'Cats; keep rolling!

09-25-2018 07:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.