ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What will it take to be a FBS University ?
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
What will it take to be a FBS University ?
I am not talking just a competitive Football program either....
I will start...City of Norfolk needs to FULLY get behind ODU. Look at what Richmond is doing for VCU. Look at how Cities embrace a major University that is in their locality. The areas around ODU need to be cleaned up and a complete beautification effort needs to take place.
09-02-2018 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

RE: What will it take to be a FBS University ?
(09-02-2018 08:39 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I am not talking just a competitive Football program either....
I will start...City of Norfolk needs to FULLY get behind ODU. Look at what Richmond is doing for VCU. Look at how Cities embrace a major University that is in their locality. The areas around ODU need to be cleaned up and a complete beautification effort needs to take place.

Agree 100% and a focus on academic excellence - period.
09-02-2018 08:44 AM
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
(09-02-2018 08:39 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I am not talking just a competitive Football program either....

Money
AD with some sort of vision
Money
Supportive ODAF Board Members
Money
Supportive Board of Directors
Money
FBS Facilities
Money

Did I mention money?
09-02-2018 10:36 AM
odufansam Offline
1st String

An FBS QB. That's the difference between ODU being what it is today and being a bowl team.
09-02-2018 10:39 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2018 10:39 AM)odufansam Wrote:  An FBS QB. That's the difference between ODU being what it is today and being a bowl team.

Definitely a part of the FBS puzzle. I sincerely believe Ron Whitcomb is one stupid ass elevator and lucky for him Demarco, Heinicke and Washington saved his grace and now that the kids who can at least make decisions or plays are gone he doesn't know what to do. He went all preseason and Steven we saw is the best he can come up with on the field.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 10:49 AM by 12thmonarch.)
09-02-2018 10:48 AM
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

(09-02-2018 10:39 AM)odufansam Wrote:  An FBS QB. That's the difference between ODU being what it is today and being a bowl team.
You will not get a FBS QB without FBS facilities. It's not happening.
09-02-2018 11:08 AM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I say..
- 5k more beds on campus immediately. You could see the advantage that makes in Student engagement and attendance.
- recruit and reward students who want to be at ODU and excel in academics
- Indoor practice facility(s)
- Larger Alumni donations supporting Athletics
- A reduction in academic offerings that do not generate high paying jobs and leave students with debt that they can never pay off
- An increase in academic offerings that do produce higher paying jobs (Medicine, Dentistry, Healthcare admin., etc.)
- A focus on creating engaged young alumni
09-02-2018 11:09 AM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

You are conflating the academic prestige of ODU with football success. These are separate issues.
09-02-2018 11:39 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-02-2018 11:39 AM)Grommet Wrote:  You are conflating the academic prestige of ODU with football success. These are separate issues.

Maybe at some level but to me they should go hand in hand. Look at VT and what happened with them. I feel for us to be seen as a prominent University at the FBS level we need to grow both academically and athletically. At some level they are interrelated because of $.
09-02-2018 11:46 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I was at the game. Believe me, our facilities will never compare to Liberty's. Compared to their facilities, we are a third world country.

It's never been clearer to me how disadvantaged we are facilities wise. Foreman Field has got to be the biggest drain on recruiting in the entire football world.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 11:51 AM by Old Dominion.)
09-02-2018 11:48 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2018 11:48 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  I was at the game. Believe me, our facilities will never compare to Liberty's. Compared to their facilities, we are a third world country.

I agree! Student fans were great and stayed the whole game.
09-02-2018 11:52 AM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Huge on campus population with no distractions for a Saturday night but a football game. Huge active turnout and I can't believe I'm saying this, but what a clean cut, happy, courteous bunch of kids. Very impressive.
09-02-2018 11:57 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2018 11:48 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  I was at the game. Believe me, our facilities will never compare to Liberty's. Compared to their facilities, we are a third world country.

It's never been clearer to me how disadvantaged we are facilities wise. Foreman Field has got to be the biggest drain on recruiting in the entire football world.

Yes i believe we are at a disadvantage in terms of facilities but that didn't stop an App State or LaTech or even UAB from out coaching some of the high level opponents that they have no business playing much less winning. This is purely on coaching if any. If you can't evaluate and motivate kids at FBS level then you shouldn't be coaching at FBS level. Period.
09-02-2018 11:57 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(09-02-2018 11:52 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  

I agree! Student fans were great and stayed the whole game.

What else do they have to do?
09-02-2018 12:01 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

You are 100 % correct. Also, the City is fully behind them. Liberty is everywhere. There is very clearly a difference.

Last night was completely embarrassing for ODU fans and Alumni. But it goes to show us that Liberty, while almost completely defunct 25 years ago, is working diligently towards a stated goal of being the BYU of the East.
09-02-2018 12:11 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-02-2018 11:57 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Huge on campus population with no distractions for a Saturday night but a football game. Huge active turnout and I can't believe I'm saying this, but what a clean cut, happy, courteous bunch of kids. Very impressive.

Yes !! They had respect and demonstrated class for every aspect of game day.... from the standing in LONG lines to attend the game, to the pregame including National Anthem, to in game activities, and post game. Very impressed !!
09-02-2018 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

And as a private university with hundreds of millions in online tuition and Christian conservatism behind them, there's really no reason they shouldn't succeed.

Other, public universities may have a more difficult time.
09-02-2018 12:17 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-02-2018 12:17 PM)Grommet Wrote:  And as a private university with hundreds of millions in online tuition and Christian conservatism behind them, there's really no reason they shouldn't succeed.

Other, public universities may have a more difficult time.

I will give you that being a state / public University does have some hurdles to overcome. But nothing is insurmountable.
09-02-2018 12:22 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-02-2018 12:22 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 12:15 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 11:57 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Huge on campus population with no distractions for a Saturday night but a football game. Huge active turnout and I can't believe I'm saying this, but what a clean cut, happy, courteous bunch of kids. Very impressive.

Yes !! They had respect and demonstrated class for every aspect of game day.... from the standing in LONG lines to attend the game, to the pregame including National Anthem, to in game activities, and post game. Very impressed !!

For some reason you come off as a Liberty Buttlicker than an ODU fan. Say it ain't so.

No just stating facts. However, I bet there was not 1 ODU fan at the game yesterday that was not impressed. BTW..when you get your ass handed to you like we did last night, we should give them the respect they earned.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 12:25 PM by Mr.BigBlue.)
09-02-2018 12:25 PM
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

(09-02-2018 11:09 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I say..
- 5k more beds on campus immediately. You could see the advantage that makes in Student engagement and attendance.
- recruit and reward students who want to be at ODU and excel in academics
- Indoor practice facility(s)
- Larger Alumni donations supporting Athletics
- A reduction in academic offerings that do not generate high paying jobs and leave students with debt that they can never pay off
- An increase in academic offerings that do produce higher paying jobs (Medicine, Dentistry, Healthcare admin., etc.)
- A focus on creating engaged young alumni

I am a VT alum. I was lucky enough to be a student at VT to witness their rise into the ranks of elite college football programs in the mid to late nineties. I have also been around every level of football from pee wee flag to the NFL. This is a business. It has zero to do with academics until after your program is on the rise. Here is my take on ODU football which I would love to see succeed as I have a high schooler who plays football and loves to go to college games.

ODU is way too focused on the blue hairs. You don't have a student section because the program has never tried engaging the students. You have to get them involved because those are your season ticket holders of the future.

Non-existent student section The football program needs to engage the students. As a freshman at VT, I was given the opportunity to go to Hokie Camp where all you did for 3 days was to learn about the traditions of VT. I actually emailed the president of the ODU SGA about ideas to help engage the student sections. I was met with we'll see. Traditions are born in the student sections. How do y'all think VT got its cheers, key play, and jumping to Sandman?

It's a football game, not a basketball game. I have never been to a football game that had so many different "cams" on the jumbo tron as ODU does. Holy crap. It is so annoying. At VT, there are certain things you do in Lane as football traditions and certain things you do in Cassell as basketball traditions. They don't mingle like that ice cream and cake thing. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in a football stadium, mainly because traditions should be timeless and that isn't. Again, goes back to engaging the students.

Engaging young alumni First and foremost, tailgating. From what I have seen in order to be in a lot where you can tailgate, you must be a season ticket holder/member of ODAF who purchases a space in one of those lots. Recent graduates may not have the cash to pull that off, but can afford a game here or there. However, if you just go to a game here or there, you end up parking in one of the parking garages where you can't tailgate (which I totally understand). I'm sorry, but no one wants to drag all their tailgating crap half way across campus to the mall to tailagte. It's too much damn work. Also, I think it's time to consider beer/wine sales inside the stadium during games. People are sneaking it in anyway. ODU might as well make money off of it.

Touchdown traditions At VT, we have Skipper, our beloved cannon, which goes off after touchdown. We also have a cheer. I know that ODU has an artillery gun of some sort that goes off at the beginning of each game, but I think that's it. I get that the grumpies in Larchmont complain, but they can suck it up for 6 Saturdays a year. Or go with the horn they use on port day.

ODU could be so much better, but y'all have 0 vision and can't get out of your own way. And I agree, Norfolk has got to get on board. When I think of how the towns of Blacksburg, Chapel Hill, Gainesville, Ann Arbor, etc get behind their schools and athletic teams, it makes me so disappointed the Norfolk has no long-range vision for the university, either.

Please refer to the official traditions pages of ODU and VT.

https://www.odu.edu/life/gettinginvolved/spirit

https://vt.edu/about/traditions.html
09-02-2018 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.