Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Athlon WAC MBB Preseason Picks
Bookmark and Share
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
MyBB Athlon WAC MBB Preseason Picks
We all know what preseason picks are good for (i.e. not much), but the @WAC_basketball Twitter account started pushing out Athlon Sports 2018-19 projections for the WAC. Pretty sure I have seen some of you in the comments, but highlights include:

Projected Finish
1. NMSU
2. GCU
3. UVU
4. Seattle U
5. UTRGV
6. CSUB
7. UMKC
8. Chicago ST
9. Cal Baptist

WAC Player of the Year
Alessandro Lever, GCU

All-WAC First Team
Alessandro Lever, GCU
Damiyne Durham, CSUB
AJ Harris, NMSU
Matej Kavas, Seattle U
Conner Toolson, UVU

All-WAC Second Team
Xavier Bishop, UMKC
Oscar Frayer, GCU
Rickey Holden, CSUB
Jake Toolson, UVU
Terry Winn, UTRGV
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2018 02:14 PM by gleadley.)
08-31-2018 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
RE: Athlon WAC MBB Preseason Picks
Can't argue too much with the order of finish. Cal Baptist is too low and Seattle U will be no lower than 4th otherwise solid.

I wouldn't have Lever at POY though. I think it will be AJ Harris personally
08-31-2018 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
Seattle is at least top 3. To me this is a rebuilding year for UVU but still good enough for 4-5. I have Cbu at 7 now because umkc keeps hemorrhaging their top players.
08-31-2018 04:51 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(08-31-2018 04:51 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  Seattle is at least top 3. To me this is a rebuilding year for UVU but still good enough for 4-5. I have Cbu at 7 now because umkc keeps hemorrhaging their top players.

I'm with you on SU and will go one step further to say they may be Top 2. I also think Cal Baptist catches a lot of people off guard. Depending on how far UVU falls, I could see Lancers finishing in the middle of the WAC. My thoughts, for what they're worth...

NMSU
SU
GCU
UVU
UTRGV
Cal Baptist
CSUB
UMKC
Chicago St

I'm also not so sure Lever is ready to step into the POY conversation just yet, either. At least not until he demonstrates he can have a defensive impact on games. As far as All-Conference teams, I think there are probably 2-3 newcomers to the WAC that Athlon missed who will jump up and make 1st or 2nd Team type impacts.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2018 05:23 PM by gleadley.)
08-31-2018 05:11 PM
Advertisement

ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(08-31-2018 05:11 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(08-31-2018 04:51 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  Seattle is at least top 3. To me this is a rebuilding year for UVU but still good enough for 4-5. I have Cbu at 7 now because umkc keeps hemorrhaging their top players.

I'm with you on SU and will go one step further to say they may be Top 2. I also think Cal Baptist catches a lot of people off guard. Depending on how far UVU falls, I could see Lancers finishing in the middle of the WAC. My thoughts, for what they're worth...

NMSU
SU
GCU
UVU
UTRGV
Cal Baptist
CSUB
UMKC
Chicago St

I'm also not so sure Lever is ready to step into the POY conversation just yet, either. At least not until he demonstrates he can have a defensive impact on games. As far as All-Conference teams, I think there are probably 2-3 newcomers to the WAC that Athlon missed who will jump up and make 1st or 2nd Team type impacts.
Completely agree with this order with the exception that I would flip CSUB and CBU. Of course, as a GCU fan, I am hoping this isn't what happens.
Seattle may be hurt in the middle by the departure of Aaron Menzies and it looks like NMSU just lost Johnny McCants to injury based on this Mid-Major Madness article. However, even without McCants, the Aggies will continue to be the favorites until someone else actually beats them on the court.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 07:02 PM by ProfScott.)
09-01-2018 07:00 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

I Root For: NMSU
A little over a month ago (on a prior thread) I predicted the following order of finish...

1. New Mexico State
2. Seattle U
3. Grand Canyon
4. Utah Valley
5. Cal State Bakersfield
6. UM Kansas City
7. California Baptist
8. UT Rio Grande Valley
9. Chicago State

The only two teams I might flip the order of finish is UVU and CSUB. I think CSUB is going to be better the WAC fans expect. And without a true rim protector (like Manyang), I'm not sure UVU's defense will be up to snuff. CSUB might be the most athletic team in the WAC. I question Barnes as an X&Os coach on offense but he does have the personnel to rough up more than a few WAC teams on defense.

As for NMSU losing Johnny McCants, it is a shame. He was showing vast improvements in his complete game. And his confidence was going through the roof. He was going a be NMSU's energizer bunny (non-stop) player like Jemerrio Jones was a season ago. NMSU still has a lot of talent but McCants was going to make a major impact this coming season.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2018 12:53 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
09-02-2018 12:48 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
(08-31-2018 05:11 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

NMSU
SU
GCU
UVU
UTRGV
Cal Baptist
CSUB
UMKC
Chicago St

This post is probably the post of the year. This post nails it. Realistic, concise based on real knowledge of players and teams in the WAC. Congrats my little purple furry friend!
09-02-2018 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.