Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sutton Smith might be ruffling Hawkeye feathers already....
Bookmark and Share
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Sutton Smith might be ruffling Hawkeye feathers already....
Not really a big fan of this...Last time we talked big as an underdog was Lynch before the Orange Bowl. Truly think it got FSU defense attention...

Sutton's not shy:

Quote:On Saturday, Smith will be Iowa’s headache. Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz will have to scheme ways to slow down the 6-foot-1, 241-pound dynamo who recorded 14 sacks and an incredible 29.5 tackles for loss a season ago.

And Ferentz will need to do it without the benefit of his two starting offensive tackles. Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs will sit out the 2:30 p.m. Hawkeyes’ season-opener at Kinnick Stadium as punishment for off-the-field indiscretions.In their place, senior Dalton Ferguson and freshman Mark Kallenberger will be making their first career starts.

“That’s kind of a disappointment,” Smith said of not getting to line up against Iowa’s usual starters.

He seemed to mean that. One thing that became clear in a telephone interview with the Huskies junior is that his speech is as direct as his path to opposing quarterbacks

Sounds like bulletin board material for Iowa's back-ups...

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports...109951002/
08-28-2018 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JKHuskie45 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Sutton Smith might be ruffling Hawkeye feathers already....
(08-28-2018 10:29 AM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Not really a big fan of this...Last time we talked big as an underdog was Lynch before the Orange Bowl. Truly think it got FSU defense attention...

Sutton's not shy:

Quote:On Saturday, Smith will be Iowa’s headache. Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz will have to scheme ways to slow down the 6-foot-1, 241-pound dynamo who recorded 14 sacks and an incredible 29.5 tackles for loss a season ago.

And Ferentz will need to do it without the benefit of his two starting offensive tackles. Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs will sit out the 2:30 p.m. Hawkeyes’ season-opener at Kinnick Stadium as punishment for off-the-field indiscretions.In their place, senior Dalton Ferguson and freshman Mark Kallenberger will be making their first career starts.

“That’s kind of a disappointment,” Smith said of not getting to line up against Iowa’s usual starters.

He seemed to mean that. One thing that became clear in a telephone interview with the Huskies junior is that his speech is as direct as his path to opposing quarterbacks

When I saw the post thought you were referring to this quote:

"We’re coming in there to punch them right in the face"

Iowa is already running with it ..

Love his confidence but agree, stop giving the opponent bulletin board material.
08-28-2018 10:37 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(08-28-2018 10:37 AM)JKHuskie45 Wrote:  
(08-28-2018 10:29 AM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Not really a big fan of this...Last time we talked big as an underdog was Lynch before the Orange Bowl. Truly think it got FSU defense attention...

Sutton's not shy:

When I saw the post thought you were referring to this quote:

"We’re coming in there to punch them right in the face"

Iowa is already running with it ..

Love his confidence but agree, stop giving the opponent bulletin board material.

Yep. For the media, I prefer the "Aw shucks, we know we're facing one of the top programs in the country....etc..""

No need to 05-stirthepot. Save the "We're gonna punch 'em in the face" stuff for the locker room before you run out on to the field.
08-28-2018 10:49 AM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Meh. Every team and every coach talks like that. Very light trash talking....
08-28-2018 11:06 AM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

Lol if Iowa or any team in general is not pumped up enough on their own without these statements then something is wrong. It's the first game of the 2018 season, every single player should be extremely amped either way.

Keep up the good work and confidence Sutton!
08-28-2018 11:09 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

Good for SS, letting his nuts hang out! That's the bulldog mentality you want in your linemen on both sides
08-28-2018 01:44 PM
Advertisement

MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

08-28-2018 01:49 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Big difference between Lynch talking trash during Orange Bowl compared to Sutton Smith's quote. Sutton gets to go hit'em in the mouth while Lynch had to run an offense. This time, we get to go after them, let the nuts hang and bang!
Beat Iowa
08-28-2018 01:50 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/s...ce.240678/

Fun read, over all Iowa has smart posters, nothing to dramatic.
08-28-2018 01:59 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(08-28-2018 01:59 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/s...ce.240678/

Most were pretty rational. The game thread prediction even had some people calling the game for NIU. Most are giving NIUs some respect.
08-28-2018 02:19 PM
JoeNovak Offline
1st String

(08-28-2018 02:19 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  
(08-28-2018 01:59 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/s...ce.240678/

Most were pretty rational. The game thread prediction even had some people calling the game for NIU. Most are giving NIUs some respect.
Others not giving any credit that NIU beat Nebraska and think NIU is just another scrub MAC opponent. We will find out Saturday.
08-28-2018 03:52 PM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Maybe we shouldn't feed Iowa bulletin board ammo, but I also hate the excited small school from the countryside crap. We're a legit FBS football program, and should communicate accordingly. Perhaps refer to the game as a "pretty even and exciting matchup with Iowa", etc..
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2018 04:02 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
08-28-2018 04:01 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

That board is no different than most. 20% meatheads, 60% rational people, 20% the sky is falling
08-28-2018 04:56 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I do enjoy the comments from that 20% of meatheads. My favorite right now is “Sutton smith has never played against Tackles as good as our back-ups”. No, he just goes against All-American Max Scharping everyday in practice. The Tackle who hasn’t given up a sack since 2015. It’s strange they even suggest for the fullback, tightend and head cheerleader chip Smith on each play.
08-28-2018 07:26 PM
NIUSAE Online
All American

I Root For:
Of course Sutton would be disappointed Iowa's starting tackles aren't playing. He wants to beat the best and while right now the fans are saying our second stringers will still rule the day, when Sutton kicks butt those same fans are going to be stuttering while claiming he had a good day because he played the second string. Catch 22 (or 15 as the case may be).
08-28-2018 09:39 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(08-28-2018 04:01 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Maybe we shouldn't feed Iowa bulletin board ammo, but I also hate the excited small school from the countryside crap. We're a legit FBS football program, and should communicate accordingly. Perhaps refer to the game as a "pretty even and exciting matchup with Iowa", etc..

Who cares what they think? We're 1-1 in our last two outings, and in their win they beat us by 1 point. Yeah, Iowa is real fearsome, they're a Big10 team .
08-28-2018 09:46 PM
Advertisement

Cidsports Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Creighton, Iowa
Iowa is 3-0 on 9/1 games. 2-0 vs. NIU per Iowa press guide.

Since 2001, Iowa is 16-1 in home openers and only loss was to NIU, in 2013 game, as all recall.

It should be a hard fought game at Kinnick. Iowa fans are looking forward to new North endzone and how the new look holds sound in the Stadium?

HC Rod Carey had some nice comments about Iowa juniors, QB Nate Stanley and TE Noah Fant at his press comference.

One suspects both teams are ready to hit an opponents, after 25 practices against teammates. Past meetings are pretty irrelevant. Freshman were in 7th Grade last time teams meet, Carey shared today.

Nebraska was awful last year. Both teams enjoyed wins in Lincoln. Both teams played Boston College. Iowa did it on a skating ring in Pinstripe Bowl.
08-29-2018 01:28 AM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(08-28-2018 04:56 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  That board is no different than most. 20% meatheads, 60% rational people, 20% the sky is falling

Is there a guy named MaddHawkeyez02 on there?
08-29-2018 11:52 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(08-29-2018 11:52 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(08-28-2018 04:56 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  That board is no different than most. 20% meatheads, 60% rational people, 20% the sky is falling

Is there a guy named MaddHawkeyez02 on there?

04-clap2 Well played Hawaii.

I'd set the "sky is falling" group at about 1% if you know what I mean and I think you do...
08-29-2018 12:18 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

And as predicted.....

Sutton's quotes posted outside Iowa weight room.
08-29-2018 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.