Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice v Houston **PREGAME THREAD**
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
Rice v Houston **PREGAME THREAD**
I'm done thinking about PVAM. Let's figure out how we can beat Cougar High.

Score predictions also welcome.
08-27-2018 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

RE: Rice v Houston **PREGAME THREAD**
08-27-2018 10:02 AM
Baconator Offline

I Root For: My Kids
New Orleans BowlDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Hopefully in 2019 or 2020 this game will be competitive. But this year it's likely to get ugly.

UH 63
Rice 14
08-27-2018 10:05 AM
elw4796 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I'm pretty sure a team with Ed Oliver anchoring the DLine is possibly a top-5 bad matchup for our offense. He might legitimately be looking at a 10+ tackle, 5+ TFL game.
08-27-2018 10:12 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I just want the game to not be over by the end of the first quarter.
08-27-2018 10:24 AM
NoodleOwl Offline
All Noodle

I Root For: the Owls! HOOT!

Folding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans Bowl
I expect better than last year's 38-3, but not a massive improvement.

I'll go with 42-20 UH.
08-27-2018 10:24 AM
Advertisement

Intellectual_Brutality Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
(08-27-2018 10:05 AM)Baconator Wrote:  Hopefully in 2019 or 2020 this game will be competitive. But this year it's likely to get ugly.

UH 63
Rice 14

Agreed
08-27-2018 10:57 AM
Neely's Ghost Offline
Bench Warmer

I want to keep optimism here. Let me make a couple points:

1) Don't over read too much into the PVAM game. Zero week.. early start... It was obvious that the Owls first half was scripted and wasn't "game planned" specifically for PVAM. (Evidenced by a couple of 3rd and long plays where the Owls were in 23 personnel vs. Nickel)... It looked like a "evaluation game" for a lot of things.
2) Historically... football teams improve more between game one and two than any other time of the year. Let's see if that balances the field any vs. UH.
3) Owls ran a ton of power last week... Lots of power... Well there has to be Play action coming off of that, plus Power read for either QB, plus RPO... I think we saw a "3rd scrimmage" script for the most part and the play calling will be personnelled differently and more "game plan" specific going forward ... (At least I hope)

Don't have to beat UH.. But definitely need to see life from the QB's... In my opinion.. turn them loose.. run them... If they get hurt running, so be it... I'd love to see Stank on RPO and boot to run action.. I'd like to see Tyner on Read Option plus play action with crossers for his arm strength ... He and Esupka make a big backfield in a power game from the gun....
08-27-2018 11:03 AM
flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
I think we have a chance to outplay the 2nd string if it gets to be a 3+ possession game and hopefully Bloom's strategy of shortening the game should keep a 70+ result from happening. I'll take Rice and the +25.

UH 42 Rice 24
08-27-2018 11:36 AM
Rice FB Fan Offline
Water Engineer

(08-27-2018 11:03 AM)Neelys Ghost Wrote:  I want to keep optimism here. Let me make a couple points:

1) Don't over read too much into the PVAM game. Zero week.. early start... It was obvious that the Owls first half was scripted and wasn't "game planned" specifically for PVAM. (Evidenced by a couple of 3rd and long plays where the Owls were in 23 personnel vs. Nickel)... It looked like a "evaluation game" for a lot of things.
2) Historically... football teams improve more between game one and two than any other time of the year. Let's see if that balances the field any vs. UH.
3) Owls ran a ton of power last week... Lots of power... Well there has to be Play action coming off of that, plus Power read for either QB, plus RPO... I think we saw a "3rd scrimmage" script for the most part and the play calling will be personnelled differently and more "game plan" specific going forward ... (At least I hope)

Don't have to beat UH.. But definitely need to see life from the QB's... In my opinion.. turn them loose.. run them... If they get hurt running, so be it... I'd love to see Stank on RPO and boot to run action.. I'd like to see Tyner on Read Option plus play action with crossers for his arm strength ... He and Esupka make a big backfield in a power game from the gun....

Love the analysis. PVAM has a new coaching staff, so I wonder if the scripting was because we weren't entirely sure what schemes they would be in for either side of the ball. After half, I felt like the defense made some adjustments that helped. That is encouraging to me.
08-27-2018 11:39 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

48-23, UH over the Owls.

We surprisingly only lost by 35 last year (38-3), and I think we are a little bit better already. Maybe not 10 pts better, but hey, I'm an optimist. I think we both score more points this year.
08-27-2018 12:26 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(08-27-2018 12:26 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  48-23, UH over the Owls.

We surprisingly only lost by 35 last year (38-3), and I think we are a little bit better already. Maybe not 10 pts better, but hey, I'm an optimist. I think we both score more points this year.

UH scored 38 in the first half including having taken a knee with a minute left to end the half.

It was a gentlemen agreement to not make us look bad that kept the delta at +35. UH could have scored 80 easily.

I dont disagree we look a bit better (caveat, 1 data point) but using the score from last year is not a good measure as it is grossly misleading.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2018 12:52 PM by Antarius.)
08-27-2018 12:49 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Optimistically, I think this scheme on offense has the potential to frustrate UH. We'll need another huge game from our RB's and a better showing from our passing game and defense to keep it interesting. But if we win the turnover and special teams battle...
08-27-2018 12:50 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-27-2018 12:49 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

UH scored 38 in the first half including having taken a knee with a minute left to end the half.

It was a gentlemen agreement to not make us look bad that kept the delta at +35. UH could have scored 80 easily.

Yes. Applewhite was classy vs Bailiff. Don't expect any mercy in the first half, but if we keep it even remotely close they will score a lot more than 38.
08-27-2018 12:52 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-27-2018 12:49 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

I dont disagree we look a bit better (caveat, 1 data point) but using the score from last year is not a good measure as it is grossly misleading.

Cool.
08-27-2018 01:03 PM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

Record for tackles for loss in a single game is 8. Wouldn't be surprised if Oliver hits that mark.
08-27-2018 01:33 PM
Advertisement

greyowl72 Online
Heisman

Agree with Ant. I was at the UH game last year. The second half was all mercy by UH.

I think us playing a game first and this being UH first game could help. A little.
Playing at HRS is a plus. A small one, but still...
Looks like we didn’t have too many injuries against PVAMU. ‘Got that going for us.
However, the talent gap between the 2 teams hasn’t changed. Maybe our better coaching philosophy will result in a more disciplined approach and we won’t have stupid penalties and stupid turnovers.
Maybe we can control the ball and run the clock. Maybe our passing game develops a pulse. Maybe Fox continues to be a beast and pins them deep and hits some long FGs. Maybe the defense can occasionally put some pressure on the passer and our deep pass defense makes an appearance. Maybe UH has a case of the first game jitters and dumb mistakes.
If all that happens...
UH 48 Rice 24.
08-27-2018 01:38 PM
Rice81 Offline
Special Teams

UH- 52
Rice- 14

sorry. But I think we will look a lot better than the score indicates.
08-27-2018 02:52 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

UH 45
Rice 31

Rice scores a couple TD’s in the 4th quarter to close the gap. UH doesn’t fully pull away until toward the end of the 3rd quarter, unlike last year. Rice plays more consistently than against PVAM, but the gap in athleticism is too much to overcome. Unless one of the Rice QBs has the game of his life!
08-27-2018 03:34 PM
InterestedX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Oxford
UH 47
Rice 5
08-27-2018 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.