Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

kudos to a proper handling of an actual QB competition
Neely's Ghost Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice
kudos to a proper handling of an actual QB competition
Just throwing out there that I appreciate Coach Bloom's handling of his quarterback competition up to this point. My argument against the ABO and the old staff was that it was never a "competition". It was seedy and predetermined at best; and most likely just blind dart throwing to come to a presser and say "THIS guy is the answer. HE is the one!!!....oops wait... No.... now THIS guy is Lightning in a Bottle... It has to work". I'm convinced that at no time was the job ever a competition then...

But... kudos to a coach who says his program is about competition. Then he backs it up with a lengthy evaluation.. Then will apparently back it up even more by letting the job get settled on the field.

As I have said before, I believe this coach has but one agenda... To win... He might and he might not. He might win and leave for bigger opportunities. But... He is fashioning a culture that can sustain a program at Rice. Kudos...

And to Stank and Tyner... I hope you both tear it up. Wouldn't bother this fan at all to watch an 8-5 season with two good leaders on the field... Good luck fellas
08-24-2018 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceOL83 Offline
2nd String

RE: kudos to a proper handling of an actual QB competition
(08-24-2018 08:58 AM)Neelys Ghost Wrote:  Just throwing out there that I appreciate Coach Bloom's handling of his quarterback competition up to this point. My argument against the ABO and the old staff was that it was never a "competition". It was seedy and predetermined at best; and most likely just blind dart throwing to come to a presser and say "THIS guy is the answer. HE is the one!!!....oops wait... No.... now THIS guy is Lightning in a Bottle... It has to work". I'm convinced that at no time was the job ever a competition then...

But... kudos to a coach who says his program is about competition. Then he backs it up with a lengthy evaluation.. Then will apparently back it up even more by letting the job get settled on the field.

As I have said before, I believe this coach has but one agenda... To win... He might and he might not. He might win and leave for bigger opportunities. But... He is fashioning a culture that can sustain a program at Rice. Kudos...

And to Stank and Tyner... I hope you both tear it up. Wouldn't bother this fan at all to watch an 8-5 season with two good leaders on the field... Good luck fellas

+1
08-24-2018 09:55 AM
mebehutchi Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(08-24-2018 09:55 AM)RiceOL83 Wrote:  
(08-24-2018 08:58 AM)Neelys Ghost Wrote:  Just throwing out there that I appreciate Coach Bloom's handling of his quarterback competition up to this point. My argument against the ABO and the old staff was that it was never a "competition". It was seedy and predetermined at best; and most likely just blind dart throwing to come to a presser and say "THIS guy is the answer. HE is the one!!!....oops wait... No.... now THIS guy is Lightning in a Bottle... It has to work". I'm convinced that at no time was the job ever a competition then...

+1

I would add that they will both likely be put into a position to succeed.

In the running game they will need to identify the defensive set and be sure that the right blocking scheme is called - a lot of the same exact play just blocked differently. They won't be asked to run a freeze option to the short of the field that was never really practiced with any rigor.

In the passing game likely a lot of 5-15 yard flood routes where you read one defensive backs actions to determine your receiver. 1 read and throw or throw it away. No more hoping we can beat better athletes with bubble screens and fade patterns.
08-24-2018 12:03 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Our QB strategy last year

[Image: qBclx2e.jpg]

Then flip it the next week.
08-24-2018 01:14 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(08-24-2018 12:03 PM)mebehutchi Wrote:  
(08-24-2018 09:55 AM)RiceOL83 Wrote:  

+1

I would add that they will both likely be put into a position to succeed.

In the running game they will need to identify the defensive set and be sure that the right blocking scheme is called - a lot of the same exact play just blocked differently. They won't be asked to run a freeze option to the short of the field that was never really practiced with any rigor.

In the passing game likely a lot of 5-15 yard flood routes where you read one defensive backs actions to determine your receiver. 1 read and throw or throw it away. No more hoping we can beat better athletes with bubble screens and fade patterns.

If the running game is successful it will set up the downfield passes. However, Stanford's bread and butter passing game focused on the RBs (and not just for screen passes, but plays down field) and TEs.
08-24-2018 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.