Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week Zero
Bookmark and Share
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
Week Zero
Why doesn’t CUSA start the season the weekend before Labor Day to get greater TV exposure for the conference? No competition against the P5. Imagine if FAU played UNT on ESPN this Saturday at 3:30pm.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 06:55 PM by jaminniner.)
08-22-2018 06:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
RE: Week Zero
(08-22-2018 06:53 PM)jaminniner Wrote:  Why doesn’t CUSA start the season the weekend before Labor Day to get greater TV exposure for the conference? No competition against the P5. Imagine if FAU played UNT on ESPN this Saturday at 3:30pm.

Judy MacLeod
08-22-2018 07:34 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
I'm not following. Doesn't Rice play this Saturday? Or is the suggestion that we stake a weekend out all for ourselves?

I would also add that, besides the unknowns of who is going to be at the top of the conference a few years out when schedules are typically made, few conference coaches will want to play what could be an otherwise important conference game right out the shute.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 07:53 PM by TechRocks.)
08-22-2018 07:50 PM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

(08-22-2018 07:50 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  I'm not following. Doesn't Rice play this Saturday? Or is the suggestion that we stake a weekend out all for ourselves?

Rice does play this weekend against a FCS team but CUSA should consider offering a marquee conference matchup in week zero to attract more eyeballs.
08-22-2018 07:55 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

clt endorses a week -1 for gambling purposes
08-22-2018 08:02 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
If you're asking why we don't play this weekend it is because the NCAA doesn't allow teams to start the season early.
08-22-2018 10:54 PM
Advertisement

Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
If the implication here is that having a North Texas/FAU or other similar matchup in week zero will fuel more interest in C-USA the following week or weeks, I'll have to disagree. I'll be honest in saying I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference whom we'd have playing in week zero, because in week one, those who normally watch the Penn State's, West Virginia's, Notre Dame's, Texas A&M's etc of the world will go right back to that.

Very few will think, "Hey that was a good game between those C-USA teams last week... maybe I should catch another this week". The only thing that will draw more viewer interest is if we start winning more OOC matchups, especially against P5's. No one's gonna be fooled by gimmicks like starting a week earlier than everyone else. Many might even see it for what it frankly is, which is a desperation move, so it could even have the opposite of the effect we're hoping for.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018 12:34 AM by Volkmar.)
08-22-2018 11:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
The only reason Rice gets an early game this season is because it travels to Hawaii in two weeks.
08-23-2018 01:05 AM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

(08-22-2018 10:54 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  If you're asking why we don't play this weekend it is because the NCAA doesn't allow teams to start the season early.

There is no NCAA rule that says you can’t start playing the weekend before Labor Day. NM State, Wyoming, and UMass all play this weekend. FCS teams are also playing this weekend.
08-23-2018 05:00 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(08-23-2018 05:00 AM)jaminniner Wrote:  
(08-22-2018 10:54 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  If you're asking why we don't play this weekend it is because the NCAA doesn't allow teams to start the season early.

There is no NCAA rule that says you can’t start playing the weekend before Labor Day. NM State, Wyoming, and UMass all play this weekend. FCS teams are also playing this weekend.

Gotcha
08-23-2018 09:52 AM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-22-2018 06:53 PM)jaminniner Wrote:  Why doesn’t CUSA start the season the weekend before Labor Day to get greater TV exposure for the conference? No competition against the P5. Imagine if FAU played UNT on ESPN this Saturday at 3:30pm.

Good idea.
08-23-2018 09:54 AM
Advertisement

va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

Are you sure? Wouldn't that mean we'd have 2 bye weeks? Is there a rule against more than 1 bye week?
08-23-2018 11:17 AM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls

NMSU v Wyoming is allowed because Wyoming travels to Hawaii.
Rice v Prairie View is allowed because Rice travels to Hawaii.
UMass v Duquesne is allowed because Duquesne travels to Hawaii.
Hawaii v Colorado is allowed because Hawaii has 13 games.
08-23-2018 11:37 AM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion

There absolutely is a rule against it. Do you know what they all have in common? They all play Hawaii. And there is an exception in the NCAA when it comes to Hawaii. Teams that play Hawaii at Hawaii get to play a 13th game in the regular season. So instead of playing it on their bye week, they play it during week 0.

The FCS teams that play are Duquesne (which plays at Hawaii), and Prarie view (which plays at Rice, who plays at Hawaii).

(Jacksonville St and NC A&T also play, but they also don't participate in the FCS playoff so maybe it's okay then?)
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018 11:44 AM by Blue_Trombone.)
08-23-2018 11:41 AM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

(08-23-2018 11:41 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  

There absolutely is a rule against it. Do you know what they all have in common? They all play Hawaii. And there is an exception in the NCAA when it comes to Hawaii. Teams that play Hawaii at Hawaii get to play a 13th game in the regular season. So instead of playing it on their bye week, they play it during week 0.

The FCS teams that play are Duquesne (which plays at Hawaii), and Prarie view (which plays at Rice, who plays at Hawaii).

(Jacksonville St and NC A&T also play, but they also don't participate in the FCS playoff so maybe it's okay then?)

Colorado State plays Hawaii at home in Colorado. NM State doesn’t play Hawaii at all and Wyoming only plays 12 games this season.
08-23-2018 05:05 PM
bigbelly Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
Good grief, folks, it's not that hard to look it up. It's called the Hawaii exemption and there IS an NCAA rule preventing FBS teams from scheduling games before the extended Labor Day weekend. Any team that plays at Hawaii has the OPTION of playing an extra 13th regular season game AND/OR a game during week 0. Some teams choose to and some don't but not just anyone can schedule a game in week 0 as some have suggested.

To counter jaminniner's argument:
1) Hawaii is by default always allowed to play a home game in week 0 (because of the opponent travelling there) and they also get the same reverse consideration for travel involving themselves. So the Hawaii-Colo St. game in Fort Collins, CO can be played in week 0 because the travel exemption/13th game allowed for Hawaii this year.
2) The New Mexico State-Wyoming game can be played in week 0 because Wyoming plays at Hawaii on October 6. Wyoming chose not to play a 13th game but that does not prevent them from playing in week 0, which they chose to do. New Mexico State is allowed to play in week 0 by default because they play Wyoming (which plays at Hawaii) but NMSU is not allowed to play a 13th game because they don't play at Hawaii directly.
3) Rice-Prairie View is allowed in week 0 because Rice plays at Hawaii on Sept 8. Rice chose to play in week 0 and have a 13th game, which they have every right to do. Rice could have scheduled another opponent in week 0 (like another C-USA school) but chose to play PV. Just my opinion, but with a week less time to prepare for the first game I bet you'll rarely see teams schedule conference games in week 0 (like Haw-CSU) even though they can.
4) UMass is allowed to play Duquesne because the Dukes play at Hawaii on Sept 22. Like the NMSU example above, UMass is allowed to play in week 0 because of Duquense but can not play a 13th game because they don't play at Hawaii directly.

If anyone wonders this rule is in place to incentivize teams to travel to Hawaii, since it may be difficult for them to fill their OOC schedule otherwise.

One other question...how can so many people have access to the internet yet not have the ability to look up something so simple?! 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2018 03:25 AM by bigbelly.)
08-23-2018 06:50 PM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Ha. This thread has been started the last 2 or 3 years.
08-23-2018 07:20 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(08-23-2018 06:50 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  Good grief, folks, it's not that hard to look it up. It's called the Hawaii exemption and there IS an NCAA rule preventing teams from FBS teams from scheduling games before the extended Labor Day weekend. Any team that plays at Hawaii has the OPTION of playing an extra 13th regular season game AND/OR a game during week 0. Some teams choose to and some don't but not just anyone can schedule a game in week 0 as some have suggested.

1) Hawaii is by default always allowed to play a home game in week 0 (because of the opponent travelling there) and they also get the same reverse consideration for travel involving themselves. So the Hawaii-Colo St. game in Fort Collins, CO can be played in week 0 because the travel exemption/13th game allowed for Hawaii this year.
2) The New Mexico State-Wyoming game can be played in week 0 because Wyoming plays at Hawaii on October 6. Wyoming chose not to play a 13th game but that does not prevent them from playing in week 0, which they chose to do. New Mexico State is allowed to play in week 0 by default because they play Wyoming (which plays at Hawaii) but NMSU is not allowed to play a 13th game because they don't play at Hawaii directly.
3) Rice-Prairie View is allowed in week 0 because Rice plays at Hawaii on Set 8. Rice chose to play in week 0 and have a 13th game, which they every right to do. Rice could have scheduled another opponent in week 0 (like another C-USA school) but chose to play PV. Just my opinion, but with a week less time to prepare for the first game I bet you'll rarely see teams schedule conference games in week 0 even though they could.
4) UMass is allowed to play Duquesne because the Dukes play at Hawaii on Sept 22. Like the NMSU example above, UMass is allowed to play in week 0 because of Duquense but can not play a 13th game because they don't play at Hawaii directly.

If anyone wonders this rule is in place to incentivize teams to travel to Hawaii, since it may be difficult for them to fill their OOC schedule otherwise.

One other question...how can so many people have access to the internet yet not have the ability to look up something so simple?! 03-banghead

Thank you, you explained it much better than I did.
08-23-2018 08:52 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
(08-23-2018 06:50 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  Good grief, folks, it's not that hard to look it up. It's called the Hawaii exemption and there IS an NCAA rule preventing teams from FBS teams from scheduling games before the extended Labor Day weekend. Any team that plays at Hawaii has the OPTION of playing an extra 13th regular season game AND/OR a game during week 0. Some teams choose to and some don't but not just anyone can schedule a game in week 0 as some have suggested.

3) Rice-Prairie View is allowed in week 0 because Rice plays at Hawaii on Set 8. Rice chose to play in week 0 and have a 13th game, which they every right to do. Rice could have scheduled another opponent in week 0 (like another C-USA school) but chose to play PV. Just my opinion, but with a week less time to prepare for the first game I bet you'll rarely see teams schedule conference games in week 0 even though they could.

FCS teams are also allowed to play in week 0 by rule as a showcase game, if the game is televised nationally.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
08-23-2018 09:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FAU Connoisseur Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: #cometothefaU
(08-23-2018 06:50 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  Good grief, folks, it's not that hard to look it up. It's called the Hawaii exemption and there IS an NCAA rule preventing FBS teams from scheduling games before the extended Labor Day weekend. Any team that plays at Hawaii has the OPTION of playing an extra 13th regular season game AND/OR a game during week 0. Some teams choose to and some don't but not just anyone can schedule a game in week 0 as some have suggested.

3) Rice-Prairie View is allowed in week 0 because Rice plays at Hawaii on Sept 8. Rice chose to play in week 0 and have a 13th game, which they have every right to do. Rice could have scheduled another opponent in week 0 (like another C-USA school) but chose to play PV. Just my opinion, but with a week less time to prepare for the first game I bet you'll rarely see teams schedule conference games in week 0 (like Haw-CSU) even though they can.

It's more fun to argue with non-facts than to ruin a perfectly debatable topic with facts and truths. Thanks a lot. CLT is very upset I am sure.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2018 09:40 AM by FAU Connoisseur.)
08-24-2018 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.