Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schedule Breakdown: FIU
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Schedule Breakdown: FIU
Here is my second breakdown of the night. Let's swing over to the east and talk FIU. I have a lot of respect for Butch Davis. I think he is a really good coach, and probably was a little overlooked because of Kiffin's success down the road in Boca. FIU is replacing several starters, but FIU has landed quality recruiting classes for years, so talent should not be a problem. Those expecting FIU to take a step back this season might be in for a surprise.

Which games do you feel they will win, and which should they lose? What is the logic for your predictions?

Here is the schedule with my predictions. C-USA fans, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

W- Indiana (The Hoosiers are not that good, and I expect FIU to win this @ home)
L- @ODU (Shocking loss against an improving ODU team)
W- UMass (Very focused following the ODU loss)
L- @Miami (Closer then expected loss as Miami doesn't want to open up their playbook)
W- Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Easy FCS win)
L- Middle Tennessee (Air attack is too much for FIU)
W- Rice (Easy home win)
W- @WKU (First divisional win)
L- @FAU (Can't stop Singletary)
W- @UTSA (Impressive win in San Antonio)
W- @Charlotte (Could run up the score)
W- Marshall (Big win over a strong Herd team)
08-21-2018 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Schedule Breakdown: FIU
So.

FIU 8-4 and Marshall 7-5....

03-zzz
08-21-2018 09:48 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2018 09:48 PM)rileylives Wrote:  So.

03-zzz

Yup.
08-21-2018 10:07 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2018 10:07 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

03-zzz

Yup.

Explain.
08-21-2018 10:13 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I had made this point before. FIU is certainly a sleeper, so I agree they have a lot of potential.

You don’t give Marshall enough credit for our home field advantage, yet penalize us in turn for playing FIU on the road.

Teams returning 18 starters after an 8 win bowl season typically don’t fade from that.

If this were a rebuilding season, absolutely. But it’s not.

And I don’t get why some can’t see it. It’s too simplistic to boil it all down to the QB.
08-21-2018 10:17 PM
Advertisement

va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-21-2018 09:44 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Here is my second breakdown of the night. Let's swing over to the east and talk FIU. I have a lot of respect for Butch Davis. I think he is a really good coach, and probably was a little overlooked because of Kiffin's success down the road in Boca. FIU is replacing several starters, but FIU has landed quality recruiting classes for years, so talent should not be a problem. Those expecting FIU to take a step back this season might be in for a surprise.

Which games do you feel they will win, and which should they lose? What is the logic for your predictions?

Here is the schedule with my predictions. C-USA fans, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

W- Indiana (The Hoosiers are not that good, and I expect FIU to win this @ home)
L- @Miami (Closer then expected loss as Miami doesn't want to open up their playbook)
W- Rice (Easy home win)

L for Indiana , UTSA, Marshall
08-21-2018 10:25 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2018 10:13 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

03-zzz

Yup.

Explain.

In my opinion Butch Davis is a really good coach. I think he is better then Doc, and FIU has been collecting talent for years, which I think many are overlooking. Marshall has two hard P5 OOC games (S. Carolina & NC State), while FIU has a home game against a very beatable Indiana. FIU also has 7 home games this season, while Marshall only has 6. Add in the fact that FIU gets Marshall @ home this season and I think they will finish with the better record. No conspiracy against Marshall, just various factors that I believe give FIU an edge in the over-all record.
08-21-2018 10:25 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2018 10:25 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(08-21-2018 10:13 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

03-zzz

Yup.

Explain.

In my opinion Butch Davis is a really good coach. I think he is better then Doc, and FIU has been collecting talent for years, which I think many are overlooking. Marshall has two hard P5 OOC games (S. Carolina & NC State), while FIU has a home game against a very beatable Indiana. FIU also has 7 home games this season, while Marshall only has 6. Add in the fact that FIU gets Marshall @ home this season and I think they will finish with the better record. No conspiracy against Marshall, just various factors that I believe give FIU an edge in the over-all record.

Defending Doc. He’s as conservative as it gets. However, like Butch, is a great recruiter. Their records are closer than you would think. Had to edit that to give distinction. Doc is certainly more conservative.

Doc Holliday 69% win percentage and 5-0 in bowls.
Butch Davis 68% win percentage and 5-3 in bowls.

Granted, it’s not lost on me the bulk of Butch’s coaching days were at Miami and North Carolina. But with a little more luck and possibly a little less loyalty to the state of West Virginia, Doc May have mirrored that P-5 success (but who can fault a man really for loyalty?)
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 11:25 PM by rileylives.)
08-21-2018 11:07 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
This guy is a Side Show plain and simple, give it a year or 2 and NUTS will be losing to the Portland States of the world again. And then this fool like the Austin Character will vanish for the most part again.

Butch Davis is an Ass with no Class.

This clown still doesn't understand or maybe just doesn't want to believe that Marshall has almost an 85% winning percentage in Joan C Edwards stadium.

Let me spell it out for you when we entered IA in 1996 we had lost all of 3 games in Marshall Stadium, all through the MAC, 7 years we lost 4 games. We didn't go 3-3 at home until 2016. So when we entered CUSA we was 138-7 at home.

We aren't a team like North Texas who has had 5 winning seasons out of 22 years since moving up to IA. UNT has won 97 games since they moved up to IA or 4.4 games a year. While given 2 years less Marshall has won 178 games since entering IA or 8.6 wins per year. We have also had 8 double digit win seasons, ranked at some point in 9 seasons and finished ranked in 6 of those seasons.

Forgive me if I think you done this to get exactly what you are getting a reaction.

This will be the last time I ever click on a thread you have started.

(08-21-2018 11:07 PM)rileylives Wrote:  But with a little more luck and possibly a little less loyalty to the state of West Virginia, Doc May have mirrored that P-5 success (but who can fault a man really for loyalty?)

If Mike Hamrick was able to hire Doc at ECU in 2003 then there is a very good chance he would have done very well and been in line to replace Rich Rod in 2008 at WVU. Hamrick was already set to hire Doc, even had an offer on the table when the ECU BOT forced him to hire John Thompson.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 11:52 PM by HerdZoned.)
08-21-2018 11:44 PM
Advertisement

Fish Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
I don't understand why the Marshall fans seem so upset with this NT fan's predictions. It's not like they just said some FCS team will beat them and go 8-4. FIU went 8-4 last season and has beaten Marshall two years in a row, including last year on the road (FIU was up 28-7 at the half). Why can't FIU win again at home? Is it really that crazy?

I think FIU will go 7-5 to 8-4 again this season. As the OP pointed out, it seems many of the preseason forecasters are not appreciating the amount of talent FIU returns. Sure experience is typically better, but it seems most assume FIU has nothing to replace the talent with. Losing McGough will be the biggest blow. If we get QB play like in the bowl game, then throw this forecast in the trash.

Here is how I see it:
Indiana: L --> FIU can win, but starters need time to gel
@ ODU: W --> ODU has seemingly had FIU's number lately, but I think FIU wins this year
UMass: W --> Last year's game was fun
@ Miami: L --> Initially close, but Miami has too much talent
UAPB: W --> If this ain't a win then so help me God
MT: L --> Another team that seemingly has FIU's number. After a bye week though.
Rice: W --> FIU squeaked out a close one on the road last year.
@ WKU: W --> FIU builds off last year's win.
FAU: L --> Dislike.
@ UTSA: L? --> Idk. Toss up.
@ Charlotte: W --> Another late game thriller.
Marshall: W? At home, last game of the season. Who's healthier at this point could play a big part. Toss up.
08-22-2018 06:23 AM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
(08-21-2018 09:44 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Here is my second breakdown of the night. Let's swing over to the east and talk FIU. I have a lot of respect for Butch Davis. I think he is a really good coach, and probably was a little overlooked because of Kiffin's success down the road in Boca. FIU is replacing several starters, but FIU has landed quality recruiting classes for years, so talent should not be a problem. Those expecting FIU to take a step back this season might be in for a surprise.

W- Rice (Easy home win)

I could go either way on the UTSA game but other than that I agree.

What I want to point out is that Boca is "up the road", not "down the road".
08-22-2018 06:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(08-22-2018 06:23 AM)Fish Wrote:  I don't understand why the Marshall fans seem so upset with this NT fan's predictions. It's not like they just said some FCS team will beat them and go 8-4. FIU went 8-4 last season and has beaten Marshall two years in a row, including last year on the road (FIU was up 28-7 at the half). Why can't FIU win again at home? Is it really that crazy?

I think FIU will go 7-5 to 8-4 again this season. As the OP pointed out, it seems many of the preseason forecasters are not appreciating the amount of talent FIU returns. Sure experience is typically better, but it seems most assume FIU has nothing to replace the talent with. Losing McGough will be the biggest blow. If we get QB play like in the bowl game, then throw this forecast in the trash.

Here is how I see it:
Indiana: L --> FIU can win, but starters need time to gel
@ ODU: W --> ODU has seemingly had FIU's number lately, but I think FIU wins this year
UMass: W --> Last year's game was fun
@ Miami: L --> Initially close, but Miami has too much talent
UAPB: W --> If this ain't a win then so help me God
MT: L --> Another team that seemingly has FIU's number. After a bye week though.
Rice: W --> FIU squeaked out a close one on the road last year.
@ WKU: W --> FIU builds off last year's win.
FAU: L --> Dislike.
@ UTSA: L? --> Idk. Toss up.
@ Charlotte: W --> Another late game thriller.
Marshall: W? At home, last game of the season. Who's healthier at this point could play a big part. Toss up.

We’ll, I can only speak for myself. I made it clear. For me it’s not an argument between FIU and Marshall. It’s more of a total sum cumulative argument, and I’m splitting hairs.

I have Marshall at 9-3 and 7-1 in conference, with our only loss to you all in Miami.

Joe had Marshall at 7-5 and 5-3 in conference. The major difference is he has us losing home games to both FAU and MTSU. And Marshall fans have shown why that won’t happen. Maybe one, but not both. The odds favor Marshall.

BTW, I also believe FIU will find success this year at 7-5 and a potential bowl win, but with an extremely competitive top of the East, would still place fourth.

Hey look, honestly does it matter? We’re all going to crap bowls.07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 07:14 AM by rileylives.)
08-22-2018 07:11 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
I say FIU gets us again at their place. It’s all opinions guys, like ********, everyone has one.
08-22-2018 07:46 AM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Joe, I may be underestimating FIU, but I don't see them going bowling this year. Here's how I see them going 5-7.

L- Indiana (The Hoosiers are not that good, but they win this one)
L- @ODU (Loss against an improving ODU team)
L- @Miami (The Hurricanes win it going away)
W- Rice (Easy home win)
L- @UTSA (Birds up!)
L- Marshall (Herd stampedes)
08-22-2018 06:56 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(08-22-2018 06:56 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Joe, I may be underestimating FIU, but I don't see them going bowling this year. Here's how I see them going 5-7.

W- Rice (Easy home win)
L- @UTSA (Birds up!)

What's happened over at ODU to give you the impression that the Monarchs are improving?
08-23-2018 03:17 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2018 03:17 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(08-22-2018 06:56 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Joe, I may be underestimating FIU, but I don't see them going bowling this year. Here's how I see them going 5-7.

W- Rice (Easy home win)
L- @UTSA (Birds up!)

What's happened over at ODU to give you the impression that the Monarchs are improving?

If you are addressing that question to me, the quote was from SideshowJoe. However his pick is the same as mine. Last year's freshman QB has a year of experience under his belt. Jonathon Duhart, the best receiver on the team is back from an injury last year that put him out for the season. We lost Lawry but have Cox and a strong stable of running backs. We have 8 or 9 starters back on both offense and defense with mucho seniors (pun intended) in the mix. Our special teams players are all back. I believe our now sophomore QB will be solid from the get go. And that's why the Monarchs are improving. We should be much better than last year.
08-23-2018 06:17 PM
D4RKW4T3R ROCK Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EAGLES SMTTT
As hard is it is for me to say this, the east is going to be extremely strong this year and both ODU and FIU are going to make life difficult for opposing teams. ODU does have some gifted dLinemen and an excellent run game. Cox is a load.
On the other hand, FIU is as talented on the dLine as any team outside of the top ten of all college football. FIU has talent on offense as well, young talent but talent in spades. If they find a QB, they are my darkhorse this year and could win 8 or 9 games.
08-24-2018 11:02 AM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

(08-23-2018 06:17 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  
W- Rice (Easy home win)
L- @UTSA (Birds up!)

If you are addressing that question to me, the quote was from SideshowJoe. However his pick is the same as mine. Last year's freshman QB has a year of experience under his belt. Jonathon Duhart, the best receiver on the team is back from an injury last year that put him out for the season. We lost Lawry but have Cox and a strong stable of running backs. We have 8 or 9 starters back on both offense and defense with mucho seniors (pun intended) in the mix. Our special teams players are all back. I believe our now sophomore QB will be solid from the get go. And that's why the Monarchs are improving. We should be much better than last year.

Yeah, that was to you, thanks for the explanation; makes sense. However, other than holding Charlotte scoreless and UMass to 7, the defense gave up 37 points a game. Has anything been done to address this? You could have possibly added 2 more wins to last year's total with a bit more strength there.
08-24-2018 02:44 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(08-24-2018 02:44 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(08-23-2018 06:17 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  
W- Rice (Easy home win)
L- @UTSA (Birds up!)

Yeah, that was to you, thanks for the explanation; makes sense. However, other than holding Charlotte scoreless and UMass to 7, the defense gave up 37 points a game. Has anything been done to address this? You could have possibly added 2 more wins to last year's total with a bit more strength there.

Well, as a starter, I suppose there are two ways to play that game. You chose to take out the two best defensive efforts. The alternative perspective is to put those two back in and take out the two worst efforts. So -- other than allowing 58 points to FAU and 53 to UNC, the defense gave up 26 points per game. I like the sound of that a lot better.

As to things that I believe will make a difference this year:

1. We were outscored terribly in the fourth quarter. Conditioning has been an area of special emphasis with that in mind. I don't think we will be outscored in the fourth quarter this year.
2. We should see a much improved offense led by an improved Steven Williams at QB. Offensive failures last year kept the defense on the field way too much. That situation should be significantly better this year.
3. CB play has been changed. For years, ODU CBs have played off, allowing short passes in a bend but don't break concept. This year, the CBs are going to spend a lot more time up close and personal in a pressing defense. The expectation is to take away the short passes and force the QB to hold the ball longer. The D-line will do the rest.
4. The D-line has beau coup players with significant experience. They will be rotating and kept fresh, led by all-conference DE Oshane Ximines. Expect to see more QB sacks this year, and we were good in that area last year.
5. Our linebackers were first year starters last year, and they improved as the season progressed. Expect to see improved linebacker play from the get-go.

And -- that's about it. Oh -- and we beat FIU 37-30 last year. 04-cheers
08-24-2018 07:00 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt sees only one loss, kiffen can coach em up
08-25-2018 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.