Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Endowed Head Coaching position
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Endowed Head Coaching position
Not super sure what this means...

Brett McMurphy

Rice becomes latest FBS program to endow its football head coaching position, source told @WatchStadium. Bruce & Elizabeth Dunlieve will endow the Dunlieve Family Head Coach at Rice. Other programs w/endowed coaching positions include Michigan, Northwestern, Notre Dame & Stanford
08-21-2018 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
RE: Endowed Head Coaching position
(08-21-2018 10:12 AM)07owl Wrote:  Not super sure what this means...

Brett McMurphy

Rice becomes latest FBS program to endow its football head coaching position, source told @WatchStadium. Bruce & Elizabeth Dunlieve will endow the Dunlieve Family Head Coach at Rice. Other programs w/endowed coaching positions include Michigan, Northwestern, Notre Dame & Stanford

From 2014: Endowed titles new trend in coaching
08-21-2018 10:22 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

Brett McMurphy

Interesting.

It's none of my business, but I'm very curious what the annual revenue is from this endowment.
08-21-2018 10:22 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
Hopefully this is enough to free up money for either assistant coaches or cover any buy-out necessary in the future.
08-21-2018 10:29 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

Thank you, Dunlieve family.
08-21-2018 10:32 AM
Intellectual_Brutality Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!

Brett McMurphy

Means someone put in a (hopefully good) amount of money into an endowment that will pay out (hopefully a large chunk) of the coach's salary.

Great news, and thanks Dunlieves!
08-21-2018 10:34 AM
Advertisement

JOwl Offline
sum guy

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Anyone know the Dunlevies?
This article says Bruce was Sid class of '79: http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2017...-influence

Looks like he's a venture capitalist in the Bay Area. Elizabeth had ties to Stanford's medical school, and looks like they might have a son playing water polo at Stanford, and might have endowed some water polo coaching positions.
08-21-2018 10:37 AM
NYNightOwl Online
NYOwl

08-21-2018 10:47 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
It would have been an interesting move on Rice's part to make an initial announcement last night at the Gael before the radio show. Instead the news is broken by outside sources.
08-21-2018 10:53 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2018 10:53 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  It would have been an interesting move on Rice's part to make an initial announcement last night at the Gael before the radio show. Instead the news is broken by outside sources.

Perhaps the announcement is planned for a more formal setting than a gin joint?
08-21-2018 11:02 AM
Baconator Offline

I Root For: My Kids
New Orleans BowlDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
This is huge news. Kudos to whoever in the AD's office was able to pull this off.
08-21-2018 11:03 AM
Advertisement

NYNightOwl Online
NYOwl

Thank you Dunlevies.
08-21-2018 11:04 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(08-21-2018 11:04 AM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  Thank you Dunlevies.
08-21-2018 11:23 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-21-2018 11:23 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(08-21-2018 11:04 AM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  Thank you Dunlevies.

Great news as this might inspire others to donate as well. First Patterson and now this...good positive movement.
08-21-2018 11:47 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

Awesome news. Thanks to the family and big kudos to JK for following through on his Stanford model.
08-21-2018 11:48 AM
RiceOwl53 Offline
2nd String

This is awesome. Can only mean good things. Free up money for assistant positions, equipment, etc.
08-21-2018 11:53 AM
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

I see two possibilities:
(1) A large contribution from the Dunlieve family that will help eradicate the unfounded myth that the deep state at Rice wants to drop out of D1 football. Many thanks to the Dunlieves!
(2) A more modest contribution to pay the rest of Bloomgren's contracted salary before Rice drops D1 football! Just get me some tinfoil for my hat 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 12:09 PM by mrbig.)
08-21-2018 12:08 PM
HawaiiOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
(08-21-2018 12:08 PM)mrbig Wrote:  I see two possibilities:
(1) A large contribution from the Dunlieve family that will help eradicate the unfounded myth that the deep state at Rice wants to drop out of D1 football. Many thanks to the Dunlieves!
(2) A more modest contribution to pay the rest of Bloomgren's contracted salary before Rice drops D1 football! Just get me some tinfoil for my hat 03-lmfao

Hopefully a small step toward accomplishing the first. Based on the description, likely not enough by itself to do so
08-21-2018 12:15 PM
OwlSquared Offline
Bench Warmer

Rice announces endowment of head football coaching position

HOUSTON -- (Aug. 21, 2018) -- When Mike Bloomgren leads the Rice Owls onto the Rice Stadium turf for his first game on Aug. 25, he will do so as the Dunlevie Family Head Football Coach thanks to an endowed gift by Bruce and Elizabeth Dunlevie.

“As lifelong fans of Rice Athletics, Elizabeth and I are thrilled to make this contribution to the football program,” Dunlevie '79 said. “We believe that Division I athletics is a fundamental aspect of a diverse college student experience, which it has been at Rice for decades. We also have the utmost respect for the discipline required of Rice’s student-athletes to succeed simultaneously in the classroom and in their sport. We hope that others who feel as we do will be similarly inspired to support the vitality of Rice Athletics.”

The endowment is the first for a Rice Athletics coaching position and is the fifth endowed head coaching position within the Football Bowl Subdivision level of NCAA Division I.

"We are grateful for the Dunlevies' transformational support of our football program," said Joe Karlgaard, Rice director of athletics, recreation and lifetime fitness. "While faculty endowments are quite common at Rice, this is the university's first endowed coaching position. We believe the endowment of our head football coaching position will serve as a catalyst toward the permanent support of other head coaches in the athletics department."

Bloomgren was named the 19th head coach at Rice on Dec. 6, 2017, after seven seasons at Stanford University. He was promoted to be Stanford’s Andrew Luck Director of Offense in 2013, one year after that position was endowed.

Bloomgren became familiar with the Dunlevies while at Stanford, where Bruce is the chairman of the board of the Stanford Management Co.

"In the time I came to know Bruce it was always very clear how much Rice and Rice Athletics meant to him, and I am humbled that he and Elizabeth have decided to place their family’s name on this position," Bloomgren said. "It's a commitment that cannot be overstated. Rice is one of the few FBS schools to have an endowed head coaching position, and this gift is a tremendous vote of confidence for the future of our program."

"Coach Bloomgren is a terrific leader for the Rice football program," Bruce Dunlevie said. "His intellect, integrity and approach to creating a positive and winning culture have our highest admiration and regard."

A founder and general partner of Benchmark Capital, Dunlevie’s firm has backed some of the world’s most successful technology startups, including eBay, Twitter, Instagram, Uber, WeWork, Snapchat, OpenTable, Yelp and Zillow.

Bruce Dunlevie served on the Rice Board of Trustees from 2002 to 2010 and was an influential contributor to Rice’s assessment of athletics in the mid-2000s. While chairing the Academic Affairs Committee, he helped shape Rice’s academic priorities for the future and made a significant contribution to the Call to Conversation by instilling an aspirational approach to growth, research and undergraduate education.

"Bruce and Elizabeth Dunlevie have consistently contributed to the high standards and character embodied by Rice Athletics," said Rice President David Leebron. "Their generosity has raised those standards again, and we are deeply grateful for their generous gift, which will elevate our commitment to the leaders who are so integral to our student-athletes."

Additionally, Bruce Dunlevie was essential to the establishment of the Rice Management Co., which is tasked with stewarding the university’s endowment fund, and he has endowed the competitive Abraham-Broad student exchange program with Trinity College Cambridge in England. He received the Association of Rice Alumni's (ARA) Distinguished Alumni Award in 2001 and was honored by Rice in 2018 with the Laureates Awards Gold Medal, the highest award presented by the ARA, which recognizes those who have rendered extraordinary service to the university.

A proponent of the humanities, Bruce Dunlevie earned a bachelor’s degree in English and history from Rice and an MBA from Stanford.
08-21-2018 12:30 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Personally I am waiting for the UH announcement that the Houston Criminal Lawyers Association has endowed the Kendall Briles Offensive Coordinator Chair.
08-21-2018 12:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.