Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the south endzone expansion still capable of this? (old stadium renderings)
Bookmark and Share
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Is the south endzone expansion still capable of this? (old stadium renderings)
[Image: MMRobertsStadium204.jpg]

One day, after we've won a few NY6 bowls and made the playoff a time 'er two and EC donations are sky high, and we're averaging 36+ per game...I'd like to see us do something to the top of the south endzone. I think a ridiculously giant eagle statue nearly hovering over the endzone would be pretty cool. I still think it'd be nice to wrap in the lower deck to mold into the field house on the north side.

Hey, a man can dream right?
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 08:58 AM by TTT.)
08-20-2018 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Is the south endzone expansion still capable of this? (old stadium renderings)
From what I understand, no, it can't be done. It wouldn't structurally be sound because of how they built the boxes.

Now I could be wrong, but I believe i heard that a few years back. More likely would be filling in the other side of the stadium little by little.
08-20-2018 09:47 AM
Bleacher Eagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM
RE: Is the south endzone expansion still capable of this? (old stadium renderings)
I hope the next thing we do to the stadium is add chairbacks to the lower levels. It would decrease the overall capacity by several thousand but add to the fan comfort level.

FYI, our attendance averages the last 5 years:
2017-21,711
2016-28,588
2015-28,335
2014-22,739
2013-22,752
08-20-2018 12:27 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I’ve heard they couldn’t put another deck of seats up there because it couldn’t handle the load, but who knows about a roof and a scoreboard.

I’ve always heard pie-slice-shaped sections on the north end (making stands curve around) would be the next seating expansion if one ever happened. Supposedly that was drawn up forever ago. At this point, I suspect we’ll see a butt-shaped monkey cannon installed first.
08-20-2018 12:30 PM
fakeEllisJohnson Offline
Bench Warmer

If something doesn't change pretty soon, the next logical step is going to be installing tarps over the upper sections.
08-20-2018 12:48 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

(08-20-2018 12:27 PM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  I hope the next thing we do to the stadium is add chairbacks to the lower levels. It would decrease the overall capacity by several thousand but add to the fan comfort level.

FYI, our attendance averages the last 5 years:
2017-21,711
2016-28,588
2015-28,335
2014-22,739
2013-22,752

I don't think you even need full individual seats.. Just add a back railing to the existing bleacher bottoms and you don't lose capacity numbers. That would be a HUGE improvement.
08-20-2018 01:25 PM
Advertisement

Bleacher Eagle Offline
2nd String

(08-20-2018 01:25 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  I don't think you even need full individual seats.. Just add a back railing to the existing bleacher bottoms and you don't lose capacity numbers. That would be a HUGE improvement.

I was actually viewing the decrease in capacity as a positive. To me, 28k fans in a 30k seat stadium is a better atmosphere than 28k fans in a 36k seat stadium.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 02:51 PM by Bleacher Eagle.)
08-20-2018 02:51 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

We averaged more in a season in which we didn't win a single game than we did last year.

Scary af tbh
08-20-2018 03:51 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(08-20-2018 03:51 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  We averaged more in a season in which we didn't win a single game than we did last year.

Scary af tbh

A little deceptive considering we had just come off a 12-2 season, which lifted season ticket sales, plus the big push to sell out the ECU game.
08-20-2018 03:55 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2018 03:55 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  
(08-20-2018 03:51 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  We averaged more in a season in which we didn't win a single game than we did last year.

Scary af tbh

A little deceptive considering we had just come off a 12-2 season, which lifted season ticket sales, plus the big push to sell out the ECU game.

My exact sentiments too
08-20-2018 04:04 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

The Hop Drop between yrs 1-2 is all admin needs to look at to gauge fanbase morale.
08-20-2018 04:14 PM
Advertisement

anonymouseagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I've also heard that starting a couple of years ago, they stopped just about all of the free ticket giveaways. Before a couple of years ago, there were a ton of people who would go to the same sources each week and get free tickets at the last minute. The new AD did away with giving businesses all those free tickets with the idea that yes, there would be less people in the stands but the vast majority would have actually paid for their seat.

That might have something to do with it too.
08-20-2018 05:19 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(08-20-2018 12:48 PM)fakeEllisJohnson Wrote:  If something doesn't change pretty soon, the next logical step is going to be installing tarps over the upper sections.

This. Except we can't afford tarps apparently.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 08:11 PM by Reggie Favre.)
08-20-2018 08:11 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

Is there currently a limit to how many people are allowed on the top of the south endzone structure now? Seems they could put aluminum stands over top of that structure that could hold about 4k people. I had thought they would do that as a temporary setup for when we hosted MSU.

A while back, VT closed in their north endzone with aluminum bleachers and made it their student section. Students on aluminum bleachers can get loud. That would be cool if there was a tunnel through those bleachers and the players cam out where the students were.

Investing to improve gameday quality/ experience is what should be done, if anything. We are a long ways off from needing to expand.
08-21-2018 07:41 AM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

(08-21-2018 07:41 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Is there currently a limit to how many people are allowed on the top of the south endzone structure now? Seems they could put aluminum stands over top of that structure that could hold about 4k people. I had thought they would do that as a temporary setup for when we hosted MSU.

A while back, VT closed in their north endzone with aluminum bleachers and made it their student section. Students on aluminum bleachers can get loud. That would be cool if there was a tunnel through those bleachers and the players cam out where the students were.

Investing to improve gameday quality/ experience is what should be done, if anything. We are a long ways off from needing to expand.

Don't know how many it holds or the weight cap, but they do rent the top out to groups. They serve food, drinks, etc as part of the package.
08-21-2018 08:07 AM
Bleacher Eagle Offline
2nd String

(08-21-2018 07:41 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Investing to improve gameday quality/ experience is what should be done, if anything.
Exactly. There is no demand for cheap seats. High end premium seats are the way to help attract new patrons.

(08-21-2018 07:41 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  We are a long ways off from needing to expand.
We, as are most teams in the country, are actually headed in the opposite direction. Attendance is shrinking everywhere due to the comforts of watching games at home on giant HD televisions. You aren't going to attract new ticket holders by charging them hundreds of dollars to go sit on some aluminum bleachers on top of a building in the endzone when they can get a better view of the game while sitting at their home for free.

Just this week, Alabama announced plans to Bryant-Denny Stadium that will decrease capacity while increasing premium seating.

At this point, consideration of a capacity expansion of the Rock is lunacy.
08-21-2018 08:26 AM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2018 05:19 PM)anonymouseagle Wrote:  I've also heard that starting a couple of years ago, they stopped just about all of the free ticket giveaways. Before a couple of years ago, there were a ton of people who would go to the same sources each week and get free tickets at the last minute. The new AD did away with giving businesses all those free tickets with the idea that yes, there would be less people in the stands but the vast majority would have actually paid for their seat.

That might have something to do with it too.

I had posted something similar on another thread about this situation as I was stumped at first. It never failed that there would be the same group of people between the Hub and the stadium ticket office each with a stack of tickets selling them for $10 each. This group (5-10 people approx) had what looked to be 25-30 tickets each and my thought process was "why in the hell would someone, much less 10 people who appeared together, have that many tickets each they were trying to sell/scalp." After hearing about the free ticket giveaways "program" ending with Gilbert last year I believe it answered my questions.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 10:20 AM by usm99.)
08-21-2018 08:59 AM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(08-21-2018 08:26 AM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  You aren't going to attract new ticket holders to SUNWACUSA athletics.

Can hardly retain the few current ones.
08-21-2018 10:26 AM
eagle04 Offline
All American

(08-21-2018 07:41 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Is there currently a limit to how many people are allowed on the top of the south endzone structure now? Seems they could put aluminum stands over top of that structure that could hold about 4k people. I had thought they would do that as a temporary setup for when we hosted MSU.

So the players run out of a tunnel from the top of the south endzone and jump down to the field?

Hope we have a lot of depth this year.
08-21-2018 10:30 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(08-21-2018 10:30 AM)eagle04 Wrote:  

So the players run out of a tunnel from the top of the south endzone and jump down to the field?

Hope we have a lot of depth this year.

You joke, but I know a lot of people who'd come to see that. Parachutes active of course.
08-21-2018 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.