Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Any news from Saturday scrimmage in Jackson?
Bookmark and Share
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Any news from Saturday scrimmage in Jackson?
Did anyone go? Any players stand out?
08-19-2018 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lifeofelove Offline
2nd String

I Root For: memphis
RE: Any news from Saturday scrimmage in Jackson?
I wasn't there but there was a tweet with Norvell saying Tyce Daniel and Kenny Gainwell on o. Tamaurice Smith and Sanchez Blake on d.

Sent from my SM-G930V using CSNbbs mobile app
08-19-2018 03:15 PM
pdlglm Offline
1st String

I Root For: UT
Kenny Gainwell looked very good. So did the D Line. Both QBs had moments where they looked good/bad.

Patterson missed a bunch of field goals but hit the one at the end of practice.

The tall freshman punter looked very good.
08-19-2018 04:31 PM
mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Remember those 30 yard out patterns that our last two qbs threw with zip? yeah, we won't see those anymore.
08-19-2018 06:08 PM
tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kool-Aid
No, the offense will be more throw the ball 5-15 yards to a player in space and let them run the extra 30 yards.

While the offense will be quite a bit different, I don't think it will be all that much less ineffective. Drives might take 3 to 4 minutes instead of 1.
08-19-2018 06:25 PM
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I Root For: Memphis
(08-19-2018 06:25 PM)tigernole79 Wrote:  No, the offense will be more throw the ball 5-15 yards to a player in space and let them run the extra 30 yards.

While the offense will be quite a bit different, I don't think it will be all that much less ineffective. Drives might take 3 to 4 minutes instead of 1.

which is better for the defense
08-19-2018 06:40 PM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
Well, Pollard, Henderson, and Patrick Taylor all wore green jerseys (they only got on the field in some special teams situations). I saw some good play from young running backs and receivers.

The top 2 QBs wore red jerseys (touch, but don't tackle). I think this handicaps a mobile QB who might avoid the rush in a regular game, but is sacked if anyone touches him. Both guys were "sacked" numerous times under those rules.

The "D" did seem to keep pressure in the face of the QBs most of the day. I said (and hope) that we can also do that to opponents.

It was a good event.
08-19-2018 06:54 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(08-19-2018 06:40 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 06:25 PM)tigernole79 Wrote:  No, the offense will be more throw the ball 5-15 yards to a player in space and let them run the extra 30 yards.

obviously the 3-4 minute drives....but what if it's 5-7,,,

CMN has the heavy foot on the left lane on offense

the adjustments to the last 2 years will be interesting
08-19-2018 07:40 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(08-19-2018 07:40 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 06:40 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  

obviously the 3-4 minute drives....but what if it's 5-7,,,

CMN has the heavy foot on the left lane on offense

the adjustments to the last 2 years will be interesting

5-7 minute drives are even better for the defense
08-19-2018 07:42 PM
Advertisement

tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

I think we will still be a "fast" team, but I don't think we will take many deep shots. I don't see us having many 3 and outs. At least not nearly as many as we will force.

Hopefully there will be a return to the screen game that was incredibly effective against UCLA and then seemed to disappear from the playbook at times.
08-19-2018 08:26 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
(08-19-2018 03:15 PM)lifeofelove Wrote:  I wasn't there but there was a tweet with Norvell saying Tyce Daniel and Kenny Gainwell on o. Tamaurice Smith and Sanchez Blake on d.

Sent from my SM-G930V using CSNbbs mobile app

Yay, Tamaurice Smith! He was at our Feed the Players dinner, and what a fine young man he is! He seems very disciplined and determined. 02-13-banana04-bow01-ncaabbs
08-19-2018 09:56 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-19-2018 04:31 PM)pdlglm Wrote:  Kenny Gainwell looked very good. So did the D Line. Both QBs had moments where they looked good/bad.

Patterson missed a bunch of field goals but hit the one at the end of practice.

The tall freshman punter looked very good.

Gainwell and the punter were 2 of the things that stood out to me. My wife said "that #19 is fast" and I told her he's the next Tony Pollard. Also, when that kid went out to punt, I did a double take thinking they had snuck an OL out there to kick. He's a big boy. Thought that Calvin Austin could be a sleeper guy that might make some big plays in the future. He's small, but extremely quick.

Hard to gauge a lot of it because: A) our defense has improved and B)no 1,6, or 8 out there changes the offense quite a bit.

We had a good time, though. Plan on going back next year.
08-20-2018 08:10 AM
Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators
(08-19-2018 06:54 PM)covingtontiger Wrote:  Well, Pollard, Henderson, and Patrick Taylor all wore green jerseys (they only got on the field in some special teams situations). I saw some good play from young running backs and receivers.

The top 2 QBs wore red jerseys (touch, but don't tackle). I think this handicaps a mobile QB who might avoid the rush in a regular game, but is sacked if anyone touches him. Both guys were "sacked" numerous times under those rules.

The "D" did seem to keep pressure in the face of the QBs most of the day. I said (and hope) that we can also do that to opponents.

It was a good event.

A) Does it look like we can stay in our lanes v Navy O
B) Can we get pressure on UCF QB?
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 08:54 AM by Bill83.)
08-20-2018 08:53 AM
Advertisement

pdlglm Offline
1st String

I Root For: UT
also, the nature of these things make it tough to tell too much if you don't happen to be a football coach.

I noticed that Brady White stayed around after the scrimmage and went to every table shaking hands and thanking people for coming out. There were some other guys who did as well.
08-20-2018 11:25 AM
tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2018 08:53 AM)Bill83 Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 06:54 PM)covingtontiger Wrote:  Well, Pollard, Henderson, and Patrick Taylor all wore green jerseys (they only got on the field in some special teams situations). I saw some good play from young running backs and receivers.

It was a good event.

A) Does it look like we can stay in our lanes v Navy O
B) Can we get pressure on UCF QB?

A) Did you watch the game last season? Our D is better this year.
B) Yes. We get pressure against one of the best OLs in the AAC, why not against one having to replace multiple starters.
08-20-2018 11:51 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
what about a platoon system at QB

it would be tougher for opposition to scout, but also tougher to implement in a short time before Navy game
08-20-2018 12:12 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I checked the roster and the punter must have been Adam Williams from Lebanon, TN. Went to Wilson Central and was maybe the best punter in the state. He is 6' 5" and weighs in at 230. He is a punter but...also kicks field goals. He is a Red Shirt Freshman this year.

High School
Was a semfinalist for the the Mr. Football Kicker of the Year ... Was named a Tennessee Titan Mr. Football finalist after hitting 16 of 18 fieldgoals as a senior and averaging a 41.9 yard average over 33 punts ... Named the Region 4-6A Co-Special Teams Player of the Year and named a TSAA Class 6A all-state honoree.

I found this video on him on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYamCC9U2fU
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 12:21 PM by DallasTiger.)
08-20-2018 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(08-20-2018 12:12 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  what about a platoon system at QB

it would be tougher for opposition to scout, but also tougher to implement in a short time before Navy game

I have never seen that work. Florida used it with Tebow coming in for short yardage situations.
08-20-2018 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I talked to a friend of mine that went. He said they held Pollard out of the scrimmage but he wasn't hurt. He got to talk to him for a bit. The new kickoff rule will change stuff for him a lot. I think most kickers are going to be using sky kicks and kick it to about the 25 yard line. It will make it more difficult to field it without a fair catch.
08-20-2018 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.