WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would a Brian Snider with a jump shot work?
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Would a Brian Snider with a jump shot work?
http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2018/06/16...me/acpvb2/

I mention this kid earlier in the year. Admittedly, not a long range sniper but a solid mid range game, rebounder, passer, facilitator and defender.

Probably too late to get it out him. Is visiting Southern Illinois University, University Wisconsin at Milwaukee, Brown university and Illinois State.

Western added their third point guard target for this upcoming class. That’s on top of having Richard for the class of 17 and Flowers for the class of 16. Martin also class of ‘17 is a combo guard who is used to having the ball in his hands.

Are these three not what Western was looking for after they’ve had summer workouts? I understand the need for depth, that’s a given. I can only think of two reasons why they might not measure up.
1. They’re more scorers w/ the ball in their hands than they are facilitators. 2. They can’t guard the position.

A kid like Taylor as with the Snider was a match a problem for opponents. With the ball in their hands they needed to be guarded by someone who could stay in front of them. Usually somebody 6’ 2” and under. Made it very easy to simply pass right over the top with a clear look. Again with the ball, able to drive and create getting to the rim a 6’2” kid isn’t a threat to do offend effectively at the rim.
Without the ball somebody who could post stop shorter players. Switch out a kid generally their height and they’re not able to stay between him and the basket.

Can a Taylor guard a Wilder like? Maybe not. But I’d bet 1 of the 3 mentioned could as Taylor like Snider could run the O.

The addition of the third point guard may simply be that the other two previously offered are non-committal or are giving definite signals they’re not interested anymore. I think it’s always good to look at both sides of the coin. I’m not in the know, so I’m speculating.
08-13-2018 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HaymondAtThe4 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Would a Brian Snider with a jump shot work?
You're gonna hate this, but I would love to see Brian Snider play the 4 in a small-ball lineup. Tava's passing and ball-handling ability caused teams huge headaches. Imagine Snider's.
08-14-2018 11:56 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-14-2018 11:56 AM)HaymondAtThe4 Wrote:  You're gonna hate this, but I would love to see Brian Snider play the 4 in a small-ball lineup. Tava's passing and ball-handling ability caused teams huge headaches. Imagine Snider's.

The object is to win as many in the NCAA tournament as possible. At 6'6 he would be eaten up on D against a 6'10 PF of the opposition.

Playing the 2 or 3 and being the facilitator doesnt put him out of his league defensively and allows for the bennies mentioned on O.
08-14-2018 04:06 PM
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

Snider with a jump shot (& more) might already be on the roster.
Patrick
Emilien has some serious skills.
08-14-2018 07:29 PM
ess Offline
1st String

I Root For: The individual
(08-14-2018 07:29 PM)okgc Wrote:  Snider with a jump shot (& more) might already be on the roster.
Patrick
Emilien has some serious skills.

Strong words :)
08-14-2018 07:37 PM
Advertisement

HaymondAtThe4 Offline
2nd String

(08-14-2018 04:06 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 11:56 AM)HaymondAtThe4 Wrote:  You're gonna hate this, but I would love to see Brian Snider play the 4 in a small-ball lineup. Tava's passing and ball-handling ability caused teams huge headaches. Imagine Snider's.

The object is to win as many in the NCAA tournament as possible. At 6'6 he would be eaten up on D against a 6'10 PF of the opposition.

Playing the 2 or 3 and being the facilitator doesnt put him out of his league defensively and allows for the bennies mentioned on O.

I seem to remember 7' 1st overall pick DeAndre Ayton getting eaten up on D by 6'7" Jeremy Harris. And we're not talking an old-school MAC banger 6'7" either. This dude was basically Michael Bramos playing the 5. And it's not like Ayton did much eating of his own. Seems like quick college teams can go small and take really good bigs out of their game by fronting them and then having help come in behind on the catch. I always think teams will get burned playing like that, and sometimes they do, but it definitely can work.
08-19-2018 10:16 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-19-2018 10:16 PM)HaymondAtThe4 Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 04:06 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  

I seem to remember 7' 1st overall pick DeAndre Ayton getting eaten up on D by 6'7" Jeremy Harris. And we're not talking an old-school MAC banger 6'7" either. This dude was basically Michael Bramos playing the 5. And it's not like Ayton did much eating of his own. Seems like quick college teams can go small and take really good bigs out of their game by fronting them and then having help come in behind on the catch. I always think teams will get burned playing like that, and sometimes they do, but it definitely can work.

I didnt see the game. You may be correct. But I wouldnt subscribe to an outlier as the method forward. Yes the game has changed with 7'ers able to handle and shoot with great range. Many have no concept of how to post up or defend it. Their used to catching at will and then turning and having their way athletically with anyone.
Brandon Johnson trying to not let Issac Haas formerly of Purdue get position let alone challenge him once he got the ball risks injury. Good Lord Haas could fall on him. Then what? Wide bottom Wilkens? Adidia? 6'5 Clifford?
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2018 11:06 PM by gobaseline.)
08-19-2018 11:05 PM
Advertisement

HaymondAtThe4 Offline
2nd String

My big thing is that I'd want a team that could be used a bunch of different ways, like a swiss army knife. So I'd like to see a traditional frontcourt (Dugan and BJ) a 4-out froncourt (Dugan and Davis) a smallball frontcourt (BJ and Davis) and an extreme smallball frontcourt (Davis and Wilkins). In practice, I understand this would be easier said than done, as it involves teaching a team to play multiple styles, and teaching guys to guard multiple positions. But it gives you a situation where you can look at each lineups plus/minus and figure out what's most effective, and you can adjust to other teams. Hawk has always tended to go bigger and prioritize rebounding and defense especially down low, but I've seen us get worked a few times by smaller teams that go 4 or even 5 guard. UNC Wilmington and Stephen F. Austin come to mind. I get that sometimes you'd look at a small lineup like that and you'd say, ok let's beat them inside and on the glass. But if that isn't working, I'd like for us to be able to say, ok let's adjust and go small with them.
08-20-2018 12:55 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-20-2018 12:55 PM)HaymondAtThe4 Wrote:  My big thing is that I'd want a team that could be used a bunch of different ways, like a swiss army knife. So I'd like to see a traditional frontcourt (Dugan and BJ) a 4-out froncourt (Dugan and Davis) a smallball frontcourt (BJ and Davis) and an extreme smallball frontcourt (Davis and Wilkins). In practice, I understand this would be easier said than done, as it involves teaching a team to play multiple styles, and teaching guys to guard multiple positions. But it gives you a situation where you can look at each lineups plus/minus and figure out what's most effective, and you can adjust to other teams. Hawk has always tended to go bigger and prioritize rebounding and defense especially down low, but I've seen us get worked a few times by smaller teams that go 4 or even 5 guard. UNC Wilmington and Stephen F. Austin come to mind. I get that sometimes you'd look at a small lineup like that and you'd say, ok let's beat them inside and on the glass. But if that isn't working, I'd like for us to be able to say, ok let's adjust and go small with them.

Clearly the game has evolved. But everyone has to be able to still make layups and defend/blockout/rebound.

When I hear and often see "small ball" it means spacing, dribble penetration or pick n roll to force help and kick to the open spot up shooter. That's good offense.

But on the flip side you have to be able to defend/turn it over and rebound at all 5 spots. If you don't, can't or won't even a mediocre offense will expose that.

Not all small ball is played equally.

By being able to play hellacious defense you can greatly reduce those looks, drive down FG % and then make them pay on the other end making them defend 5' and in. That's where most of the fouls come from, allowing to get to the FT line, force them to sub out foul prone players and escalating their ineffectiveness.

Tough to defend 5' and in if you can't match the strength and length inside. And that includes posting up your perimeter people.
08-22-2018 11:49 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Added Dartmouth College as his 5th official.
08-26-2018 08:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.