Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

App State Athletics: Plans for old high school site, North enzone
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
App State Athletics: Plans for old high school site, North enzone
https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/a...36833.html

AD Doug Gillin talks about the plans for App State track, softball, and tennis and several other topics.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2018 07:45 AM by Michael in Raleigh.)
08-09-2018 07:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: App State Athletics: Plans for old high school site, North enzone
thanks for the post. they are looking at either building an adjacent indoor practice facility or expand the current one, so how big is the current indoor facility?
08-09-2018 09:31 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

(08-09-2018 09:31 AM)balanced_view Wrote:  thanks for the post. they are looking at either building an adjacent indoor practice facility or expand the current one, so how big is the current indoor facility?

It's 100 yards from back of the endzone to back of the endzone, so 80 yards between goal lines.

They'll want to go to a full field, maybe 2 if it can fit.
08-09-2018 10:20 AM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
Just glad the track is going for the whole conference, it was a bad look in the SoCon much less now.
08-09-2018 12:32 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(08-09-2018 12:32 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  Just glad the track is going for the whole conference, it was a bad look in the SoCon much less now.
Where's a shovel? I'll help dig it up for free. I made a lot of great memories in Kidd Brewer and the view is beautiful, but the structure itself is far from nice. Our AD has made some decent improvements. Removing the track and building a new entrance/field house/plaza in the north end zone has always been his ultimate goal. After that's done I could see him taking a bigger job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
08-09-2018 09:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Florida RedWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: arkansas state
(08-09-2018 07:44 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/a...36833.html

AD Doug Gillin talks about the plans for App State track, softball, and tennis and several other topics.

Can't comment until its completed. I thought you had the track removed some time ago and found it still there in July.
08-10-2018 09:30 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

(08-10-2018 09:30 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  
(08-09-2018 07:44 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/a...36833.html

Can't comment until its completed. I thought you had the track removed some time ago and found it still there in July.

Yeah, I'm surprised it wasn't taken out this summer. The last track meet at Kidd Brewer Stadium was this past spring. There will not be any home meets in spring 2019 because the new track at the old high school site will not be ready until 2020. So why not go ahead and take the Kidd Brewer track out for the fall 2018 football season? I guess maybe the track team needs somewhere to practice this spring??? But if they're keeping the track through the end of spring 2019 for practice, why can't they host meets?

Someone who is more connected to App State athletics, please shed some light. I'm no insider.
08-10-2018 09:48 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Probably should erect the NEZ complex and take out the track at the same time. They plan to turf the track space not taken up by the new facility.

When did we last replace the turf? They may be looking to get one more year out of the current one.
08-10-2018 09:55 AM
southcharlotteapp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(08-10-2018 09:55 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Probably should erect the NEZ complex and take out the track at the same time. They plan to turf the track space not taken up by the new facility.

When did we last replace the turf? They may be looking to get one more year out of the current one.

That was my guess. Why take out the track, replace that area in front of Owens with new materials, only to tear that area back up when Owens is replaced.

As far as the field goes, not sure. I would think a full replacement would be ideal. This turf is 8 years old with games and practices. Lifespan of field turf is 8 to 10 years per Google.
08-10-2018 10:29 AM
Advertisement

GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(08-10-2018 09:48 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 09:30 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  

Yeah, I'm surprised it wasn't taken out this summer. The last track meet at Kidd Brewer Stadium was this past spring. There will not be any home meets in spring 2019 because the new track at the old high school site will not be ready until 2020. So why not go ahead and take the Kidd Brewer track out for the fall 2018 football season? I guess maybe the track team needs somewhere to practice this spring??? But if they're keeping the track through the end of spring 2019 for practice, why can't they host meets?

Someone who is more connected to App State athletics, please shed some light. I'm no insider.

They don’t have a final plan for the end zone yet, but they are close. I said all along that this was a 2020 completion situation and we don’t have a track completed at watauga. 2019 is when things really start changing and it’s going to be a disruption. Track destruction like everything else will happen after the 2018 football season is over.
08-10-2018 10:47 AM
bigCasu_ Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St
(08-10-2018 09:55 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Probably should erect the NEZ complex and take out the track at the same time. They plan to turf the track space not taken up by the new facility.

Turf was last replaced prior to the 2011 season. Since then, field hockey has been removed from that site, but we have also added a few more football players practicing. Eight years seems a little early for replacement, even if we just added new pellets this summer.

Overall, its likely cheaper to build all at once instead of splitting up the projects. We haven't finalized designs yet, despite multiple renderings. Once construction on the NEZ starts, the track will not be in used for turns 3 and 4, but will be available otherwise in 2019 spring.
08-10-2018 10:51 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I have heard some chatter about an outdoor practice field adjacent to an expanded Soefield Indoor Facility. If so they should model it after the facility at Purdue. It would be really neat to build another indoor facility with an indoor track. It would be nice to get those running lanes out of the Holmes Center.
08-10-2018 07:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.