Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Power Conference Realign In 25 Years to Be Regional?
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Power Conference Realign In 25 Years to Be Regional?
Gordon Gee talked about the future where the power conferences could be realign by regions.

Quote:Gee still sees the possibility of significant national realignment sometime in the next decade, with power conferences possibly realigning themselves geographically without the whole raids of past realignment. And he's not oblivious to the change brewing in television and digital rights fees.

Big 12 Conference

Could the regions be from 6 to 8 teams? I could see something like this in the future.

Northwest 8:
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Boise State
BYU
Utah
UNR

Southwest 8:
California
UCLA
USC
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona State
San Diego State
Hawaii

South Plains 10:
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Houston
New Mexico
Air Force
Wichita State

North Plains 10:
Colorado
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Colorado State
North Dakota State

Gulf Coast 8:
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss.
Mississippi State
Memphis
Tulane
Southern Mississippi

Southeast 10:
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Florida State
Miami
Georgia
Georgia Tech
UCF
USF
Vanderbilt

Mid-Atlantic 10:
South Carolina
Clemson
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
Tennesse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Navy

Midwest 11:
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Wisconsin

Northeast 11:
Penn. State
Maryland
Rutgers
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati
Temple
UMass.
UConn.
Army

For the PAC 12 for the northwest? 7 games they play round robin, and the north schools could still play the California schools. The schools in bold are schools added to the power conference. Wichita State could restart football and joined the south plains since they bring their A game in men's basketball.

Round robin games between 7 to 10 games depending which region they are in. Get rid of conference championship games which could add another round in the CFP. You could combined all the regions under 1 tv network for games. That means roll all the conference networks into one including the Longhorn Network. Part of the new money coming in for games being shown online like Amazon Prime and all those sites which brings in more money to be added with the tv deals. Some of the lower teams on the rung could be regulated to the online streaming.

The regions could also add non-football schools as well. Northwest could grab Gonzaga. Mid-Atlantic could grab VCU, College of Charleston and Davidson. Midwest could grab Dayton, Xavier and Marquette. Northeast could get Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's and Richmond. Maybe Vermont as well?

This lineup which includes top G5 and basketball schools could sell much better than what is being given today. This includes the online streaming revenues that be added to the coffers. This could actually break the best away from the rest.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2018 12:48 PM by DavidSt.)
08-05-2018 04:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
RE: Power Conference Realign In 25 Years to Be Regional?
Don’t see it
08-05-2018 05:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Only when the oil supply runs very low and travel returns to train-only, or via electric bus (thus very limited range without battery swaps). There may be high speed rail lines, but to very limited destinations, generally the biggest cities.
08-05-2018 06:45 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The major conferences are already aligned by region. There are some outliers - like WVU in the Big 12, so I could see swaps in the future whereby say a WVU joins the SEC and Missouri returns to the Big 12.

But just at the margins.
08-05-2018 07:30 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
Looks like Wisconsin will just be dropping football in 25 years?

It's not going to happen.

Adding too many patsies into conferences just to round them out isn't really alignment.

If there is a major conference implosion in 25 years, it would be going back to the traditional conference alignments we used to know.
08-05-2018 09:59 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
No.
08-05-2018 11:09 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2018 09:59 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  Looks like Wisconsin will just be dropping football in 25 years?

Adding too many patsies into conferences just to round them out isn't really alignment.

If there is a major conference implosion in 25 years, it would be going back to the traditional conference alignments we used to know.

Some of the patsies are in the P5 conferences already.

Not all of them are patsies. Hawaii could be better in this new alignment since they do not have to travel to the Mountain Time zone.

I look at history of the schools. Their past records on and off the field. Their other sports, and so forth.
08-05-2018 12:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I think what is more likely to occur is the emergence of a Southern mega-conference and a Northern/Western mega conference. When the SEC realizes that they are an even stronger force when they add the most marketable ACC and Big 12 brands and go out and take them the Big Ten will make a reactionary move to add AAU schools from the Pac 12 and the ACC and Big 12 remnants to stay in the arms race.
08-05-2018 02:48 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(08-05-2018 02:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I think what is more likely to occur is the emergence of a Southern mega-conference and a Northern/Western mega conference. When the SEC realizes that they are an even stronger force when they add the most marketable ACC and Big 12 brands and go out and take them the Big Ten will make a reactionary move to add AAU schools from the Pac 12 and the ACC and Big 12 remnants to stay in the arms race.

I could see that happening. The B1G and Pac have a historic relationship through the Rose Bowl and past joint TV contracts. They also have similar academic sensibilities.

Jim Delany won't always be the commissioner, but the B1G would still like to have UNC and UVa if they could pull it off. If the ACC were to somehow disintegrate, that could happen. It depends on the success of the ACC network. The NC and VA schools like what they have in the ACC, and it would take an implosion or something else drastic to force them out.

The SEC plus all or any combination of Clemson, Florida State, Oklahoma, and Texas would be a brute force. The B1G would need to take extreme measures to stop or compete with such a move.
08-05-2018 03:55 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
If I was the blathering president at WVU (we went through his nonsense locally at Vanderbilt), I would also drop hints that the future probably includes my school being in a regional conference with Ohio State, Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Penn State, and probably Syracuse and North Carolina. I know it would be tough for WVU to sacrifice their prominent position in order to be associated with those regional middlings, but they would bravely step up and do it for the good of the country. :)
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2018 04:23 PM by bigblueblindness.)
08-05-2018 04:22 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Only way that happens is if TV money and air travel both dissapeared at the same time....and if that happened then College FB is probably the least of our concerns
08-05-2018 06:39 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(08-05-2018 04:22 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  If I was the blathering president at WVU (we went through his nonsense locally at Vanderbilt), I would also drop hints that the future probably includes my school being in a regional conference with Ohio State, Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Penn State, and probably Syracuse and North Carolina. I know it would be tough for WVU to sacrifice their prominent position in order to be associated with those regional middlings, but they would bravely step up and do it for the good of the country. :)

Hahahaha
08-05-2018 06:49 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(08-05-2018 12:52 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 09:59 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  Looks like Wisconsin will just be dropping football in 25 years?

Not all of them are patsies. Hawaii could be better in this new alignment since they do not have to travel to the Mountain Time zone.

I look at history of the schools. Their past records on and off the field. Their other sports, and so forth.

All of your current "additions" aren't currently in P5 conferences. If their records were THAT good, they would have been invited to join the big boys by now.

The second issue is that you're assuming that the current P5 schools would WANT to be in a conference with those other schools. Then there's the issue of what value would they add the new conference? Would they bring more eyeballs to the broadcast or stream? You mention Hawaii, do they REALLY add more value then they would take from the rights pie?

MAYBE for some of those schools, most would not.
08-06-2018 06:54 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-06-2018 06:54 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  

All of your current "additions" aren't currently in P5 conferences. If their records were THAT good, they would have been invited to join the big boys by now.

The second issue is that you're assuming that the current P5 schools would WANT to be in a conference with those other schools. Then there's the issue of what value would they add the new conference? Would they bring more eyeballs to the broadcast or stream? You mention Hawaii, do they REALLY add more value then they would take from the rights pie?

There is some good athletes in Japan and Australia. Getting into Hawaii brings the PAC 12 towards the west Pacific tv market. ESPN could also try and bring a network for Japan and Australia. The Mickey Mouse Network already have ABC stations in Australia. Adding Hawaii might get PAC 12 games more into that market.

Now, since 2000, Boise State is number 1 overall with the most wins. This happened after USC and Ohio State had to vacate their wins for the years of infractions. There is no way Big 10 will grab PAC 12 schools,. They are way out of the region. Not with all the lawsuits, Michigan State, BYU, Baylor, Ohio State, Penn. State, Florida State etc., plus the CTE issues, COA and all the travel. No matter how much money these schools have, it is not enough to cover it all.
08-06-2018 07:18 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(08-06-2018 07:18 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

There is some good athletes in Japan and Australia. Getting into Hawaii brings the PAC 12 towards the west Pacific tv market. ESPN could also try and bring a network for Japan and Australia. The Mickey Mouse Network already have ABC stations in Australia. Adding Hawaii might get PAC 12 games more into that market.

Now, since 2000, Boise State is number 1 overall with the most wins. This happened after USC and Ohio State had to vacate their wins for the years of infractions. There is no way Big 10 will grab PAC 12 schools,. They are way out of the region. Not with all the lawsuits, Michigan State, BYU, Baylor, Ohio State, Penn. State, Florida State etc., plus the CTE issues, COA and all the travel. No matter how much money these schools have, it is not enough to cover it all.
ESPN has a network in Australia that shows college football and has minority interest in a Japanese network. That being said, I think that the lure of UNLV in all sports, combined with the move to the new stadium would be much greater than UNR's more successful football program in a smaller market with lower quality facilities.
08-06-2018 07:24 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-06-2018 07:24 AM)whittx Wrote:  

ESPN has a network in Australia that shows college football and has minority interest in a Japanese network. That being said, I think that the lure of UNLV in all sports, combined with the move to the new stadium would be much greater than UNR's more successful football program in a smaller market with lower quality facilities.

Yeah, UNLV's academics are much more worst than Boise State. UNR is more in line with the PAC 12. Good luck getting UNLV into the PAC 12.
08-06-2018 07:30 AM
Advertisement

whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(08-06-2018 07:30 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(08-06-2018 07:24 AM)whittx Wrote:  
(08-05-2018 12:52 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Some of the patsies are in the P5 conferences already.

Yeah, UNLV's academics are much more worst than Boise State. UNR is more in line with the PAC 12. Good luck getting UNLV into the PAC 12.

UNLV is Tier 2 along with UNR and BYU. Boise State is Tier 3.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2018 10:56 AM by whittx.)
08-06-2018 10:55 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Major conferences are no longer really regional. You need to measure regional by time to traverse via car. If it takes you more than say 10-12 hours to drive from the two furthest away schools you're no longer really regional. You may be regional in the scope that you're in two or three regions ... but that's not strictly speaking regional. The only FBS conference that has stayed true to geography is the Mid-American Conference. Period. End of story. Nobody else is even close.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 11:29 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
08-07-2018 11:29 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(08-05-2018 04:40 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Gordon Gee talked about the future where the power conferences could be realign by regions.

Quote:Gee still sees the possibility of significant national realignment sometime in the next decade, with power conferences possibly realigning themselves geographically without the whole raids of past realignment. And he's not oblivious to the change brewing in television and digital rights fees.

Big 12 Conference

Could the regions be from 6 to 8 teams? I could see something like this in the future.

Northwest 8:
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Boise State
BYU
Utah
UNR

Southwest 8:
California
UCLA
USC
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona State
San Diego State
Hawaii

South Plains 10:
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Houston
New Mexico
Air Force
Wichita State

North Plains 10:
Colorado
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Colorado State
North Dakota State

Gulf Coast 8:
Texas A&M
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss.
Mississippi State
Memphis
Tulane
Southern Mississippi

Southeast 10:
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Florida State
Miami
Georgia
Georgia Tech
UCF
USF
Vanderbilt

Mid-Atlantic 10:
South Carolina
Clemson
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
Tennesse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Navy

Midwest 11:
Louisville
Kentucky
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Wisconsin

Northeast 11:
Penn. State
Maryland
Rutgers
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati
Temple
UMass.
UConn.
Army

For the PAC 12 for the northwest? 7 games they play round robin, and the north schools could still play the California schools. The schools in bold are schools added to the power conference. Wichita State could restart football and joined the south plains since they bring their A game in men's basketball.

Round robin games between 7 to 10 games depending which region they are in. Get rid of conference championship games which could add another round in the CFP. You could combined all the regions under 1 tv network for games. That means roll all the conference networks into one including the Longhorn Network. Part of the new money coming in for games being shown online like Amazon Prime and all those sites which brings in more money to be added with the tv deals. Some of the lower teams on the rung could be regulated to the online streaming.

The regions could also add non-football schools as well. Northwest could grab Gonzaga. Mid-Atlantic could grab VCU, College of Charleston and Davidson. Midwest could grab Dayton, Xavier and Marquette. Northeast could get Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's and Richmond. Maybe Vermont as well?

This lineup which includes top G5 and basketball schools could sell much better than what is being given today. This includes the online streaming revenues that be added to the coffers. This could actually break the best away from the rest.

No chance at all.

At this rate, do you really expect football to exist in its current form in 25 years?

Have you ever met a Stanford, Cal, USC grad or high level admin? By adding Boise State in it's current quality, you would be diminishing the degrees of previous mentioned schools. I just don't see them wanting that.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 12:18 PM by Scoochpooch1.)
08-07-2018 12:03 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(08-07-2018 12:03 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Have you ever met a Stanford, Cal, USC grad or high level admin? By adding Boise State in it's current quality, you would be diminishing the degrees of previous mentioned schools. I just don't see them wanting that.

While Boise State is indeed bottom of the barrel when it comes to academics, their manure decidedly has odor to it as well.

Quote:Stanford drops list of 'easy' classes for athletes

A drama class in Beginning Improvising and another in Social Dances of North America III were among dozens of classes on a closely guarded quarterly list distributed only to Stanford athletes to help them choose classes.

The list, which has existed since at least 2001, was widely regarded by athletes as an easy class list. More than a quarter of the courses on the list did not fulfill university general education requirements.

The classes on the list were "always chock-full of athletes and very easy A's," said Kira Maker, a soccer player who used the list her freshman year.

https://www.sfgate.com/education/article...389506.php

If we're really being honest here ... the list of schools where football players can't get a four year degree in worthless leisurely classes is probably less than a dozen, and the largest subset is the military academies.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 12:46 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
08-07-2018 12:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.