I Root For: West TN Normal
Adam Zagoria blog: Larry Brown says Penny Hardaway is 'way ahead' at Memphis
08-01-2018 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Adam Zagoria blog: Larry Brown says Penny Hardaway is 'way ahead' at Memphis
(08-01-2018 12:35 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/07/31/larry...t-memphis/

Nice PR by a national guy!

Very good pub...

Last sentence doesn't make sense though

“And I think the fact that he was an AAU coach and paid his dues, instead of just all of a sudden getting a job, I think he’s way ahead.”

I wouldn't consider coaching AAU as being paying your dues.
08-01-2018 01:24 PM
fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
RE: Adam Zagoria blog: Larry Brown says Penny Hardaway is 'way ahead' at Memphis
(08-01-2018 01:24 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(08-01-2018 12:35 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/07/31/larry...t-memphis/

Very good pub...

“And I think the fact that he was an AAU coach and paid his dues, instead of just all of a sudden getting a job, I think he’s way ahead.”

Maybe he means some of these ex-NBA guys got the job on name and playing history alone. Penny actually coached HS and summer leagues.
08-01-2018 01:47 PM
New Here 101 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
For what it's worth, Penny coached middle school, high school, and AAU.

All at Championship levels.

He paid his dues on top of being Penny Effing Hardaway.

Only haters would claim otherwise.
08-01-2018 02:04 PM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Good find, thanks.
08-01-2018 02:05 PM
Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Very good pub...

Then you don't understand
08-01-2018 02:29 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Very good pub...

The statement has to do with flying and bussing all over the country to small gyms with parents and other coaches, to play games that no one ever hears about. Calling kids and parents and coaches constantly.

Not the grind of D1. But not nothing.
08-01-2018 05:02 PM
Advertisement

uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(08-01-2018 05:02 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Very good pub...

The statement has to do with flying and bussing all over the country to small gyms with parents and other coaches, to play games that no one ever hears about. Calling kids and parents and coaches constantly.

Not the grind of D1. But not nothing.

Exactly!
08-01-2018 08:33 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

Very good pub...

You don't consider being worth $60 million and driving high school kids around in a van to be paying his dues?
08-01-2018 11:48 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Penny took an unusual career path to obtain a head coaching position at a major program, but I think he paid his dues.
08-02-2018 07:34 AM
Advertisement

cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Penny doesn't have to pay his dues, does he? He'll either succeed or fail at Memphis whether or not he spent a few years kissing somebody like Roy Williams or Rick Pitino's butt and working 100 hours a week. You know what I am really starting to love is the way the big name coaches making $5,000,000 don't look like they are such a big deal any more. Penny is completely changing the college basketball landscape quicker than any other single coach ever has.

Of course, we can't really say that until next April, can we. But it sure looks that way. Maybe he'll self destruct. Maybe the old guard will bring him down. But, just maybe, he'll succeed and not only make us happy, but change basketball for the better.
08-02-2018 09:05 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
^^ well put

gone for me are the days of trying to be excited over a Chad Rhychoek dude cause he was once a Rivals 150 prospect
08-02-2018 09:08 AM
Coolidge1 Offline
The women's pet and the mens regret!

(08-01-2018 02:29 PM)Easterwood Wrote:  

Very good pub...

Then you don't understand
So glad to have you back!
08-02-2018 09:40 AM
Advertisement

thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(08-02-2018 09:05 AM)cmt Wrote:  Penny doesn't have to pay his dues, does he? He'll either succeed or fail at Memphis whether or not he spent a few years kissing somebody like Roy Williams or Rick Pitino's butt and working 100 hours a week. You know what I am really starting to love is the way the big name coaches making $5,000,000 don't look like they are such a big deal any more. Penny is completely changing the college basketball landscape quicker than any other single coach ever has.

Of course, we can't really say that until next April, can we. But it sure looks that way. Maybe he'll self destruct. Maybe the old guard will bring him down. But, just maybe, he'll succeed and not only make us happy, but change basketball for the better.

We are currently in the processes of the college basketball landscape being redesigned and restructured by our beloved Coach Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway!!! There are hit songs being made about him: New pre-released sneakers about to drop; When he and his staff walk into a gym, there is tremendous buzz...

It's interesting that there is always an inference of how he could fail....Why is that????

Recruits are lining up; Everyone is Mentioning Memphis basketball and parents are ponying up to send they're son's to continue the tutelage of their mentor...

We b*tched and moaned on how we were done by Cal and UK (Stealing our Thunder) Moment in history being on top....Now, just focus on what is happening with Kentucky and Cal....And it's ALL because of the crescendo of Memphis through the works of beloved Penny Hardaway..... Although we've always seen him as meek/mild and loquacious....He is as relentless as anyone in this profession....He strives for the BEST and is NOT letting up...We're going back to the TOP baby....Enjoy the moment!!!! Invest in "pennies" Enjoy this Memphis!!!!
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 05:32 PM by thagr82008.)
08-02-2018 10:18 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

Really good pub regarding Penny, Tiger basketball and for the conference. Tiger basketball on the way back (good times again). Thanks for posting.
08-02-2018 10:51 AM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-02-2018 10:18 AM)thagr82008 Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 09:05 AM)cmt Wrote:  Penny doesn't have to pay his dues, does he? He'll either succeed or fail at Memphis whether or not he spent a few years kissing somebody like Roy Williams or Rick Pitino's butt and working 100 hours a week. You know what I am really starting to love is the way the big name coaches making $5,000,000 don't look like they are such a big deal any more. Penny is completely changing the college basketball landscape quicker than any other single coach ever has.

We are currently in the processes of the college basketball landscape being redesigned and restructured by our beloved Coach Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway!!! There are hit songs being made about him: New pre-released sneakers about to drop; When he and his staff walk into a gym, there is tremendous buzz...

It's interesting that there is always an inference of how he could fail....Why is that????

Recruits are lining up; Everyone is Mentioning Memphis basketball and parents are ponying up to send they're son's to continue the tutelage of their mentor...

We b*tched and moaned on how we were done by Cal and UK (Stealing our Thunder) Moment in history being on top....Now, just focus on what is happening with Kentucky and Cal....And it's ALL because of the crescendo of Memphis through the works of beloved Penny Hardaway..... Although we've always seen him as meek/mild and loquacious....He is as relentless as anyone in this profession....He strives for the BEST and is NOT letting up...We're going back to the TOP baby....Enjoy the moment!!!! Invest in "pennies" Enjoy this Memphis!!!!

Because Penny hasn't won a game yet or signed a top 10 prospect. It looks like he'll win and sign plenty, but he hasn't. We also don't know the extreme lengths the good ole boys are prepared to go to keep Penny down. That's why.

But the first 4 months of Coach Hardaway seem to indicate that the team he has assembled of Madlock/Miller/Mitchell/Boyd/Hamilton will completely change the basketball world forever, and for the better. Also that we'll win plenty!
08-03-2018 08:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.